First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

The back of the net.

First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

To the knock out stages, only Spanish clubs achieved this before (once in the 2015-18 season). Shows the strength in depth of the premier league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42255985
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Long seasons they have in Spain
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33994
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Laugh, it's all the siestas they take.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?

Oh and Riva scored 35 goals in 42 matches. An Italian record that's unbeaten to date.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Il Duce wrote:Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?


It's good, but it's not Champions League good.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Strawman wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?


It's good, but it's not Champions League good.


As per oriental women, I'm unable to notice the difference.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 pm

Well you know how if you fail to progress from the group stages in the CL, say you manage 3rd (out of the 4 teams in your group) then you get free passage into the Europa League final stages.
Last edited by Strawman on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Strawman wrote:Well you know how if you fail to progress from the group stages in the CL, say you manage 3rd (out of the 4 teams in your group) then you get free passage into the Europa League final stages.


Also known as Celtic's game plan.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Strawman wrote:Well you know how if you fail to progress from the group stages in the CL, say you manage 3rd (out of the 4 teams in your group) then you get free passage into the Europa League final stages.



Sort of the difference between a Chinese and a Japanese whore then.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm

I think your analogy is teetering on the edge of Gma at this stage ID.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

How many English players are there in those five teams?
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 14818
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Paul H @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Perhaps more pertinently, how many of them are from the top 100 paid footballers in Europe?
Last edited by Paul H on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paul H
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Mainly on the surface of the planet

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by S1K @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:25 pm

Il Duce wrote:Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?

Oh and Riva scored 35 goals in 42 matches. An Italian record that's unbeaten to date.

I'm no expert in football but that goal scoring record doesn't sound very impressive to me. Liverpool won 7-0 last night.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm guessing Riva is a player and scoring nearly a goal a game at that level is impressive.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:05 am

Strawman wrote:I'm guessing Riva is a player and scoring nearly a goal a game at that level is impressive.


Exactly! Just as interesting as the title of this thread I think.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Dirk @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am

Il Duce wrote:
Strawman wrote:I'm guessing Riva is a player and scoring nearly a goal a game at that level is impressive.


Exactly! Just as interesting as the title of this thread I think.

In the 1936 season James McGrory scored 50 goals in the Scottish league (38 matches).

But that's not impressive either because everyone knows that Scottish goalkeepers used to be shit
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 29592
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Dirk @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 am

Il Duce wrote:
Strawman wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?


It's good, but it's not Champions League good.


As per oriental women, I'm unable to notice the difference.

Europe is the "Aldi-standard league"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/arsenal-hoping-nobody-they-know-saw-them-in-the-europa-league-20170915135778
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 29592
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Strawman @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 am

The first British team to win the top trophy in Europe, Celtic in 1967, all but one member of the 15 man squad were born within 10 miles of Celtic Park in Glasgow (Bobby Lennox was born 30 miles away in Saltcoats).
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38603
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am

Dirk wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Strawman wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Italy had five in the Europa League once. Any good?


It's good, but it's not Champions League good.


As per oriental women, I'm unable to notice the difference.

Europe is the "Aldi-standard league"

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/arsenal-hoping-nobody-they-know-saw-them-in-the-europa-league-20170915135778


Ah. I just checked my giveatoss App and it's still firmly on zero.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12107
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: First time five English clubs progress in Champions league

Post by Dirk @ Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Il Duce wrote:

Ah. I just checked my giveatoss App and it's still firmly on zero.

Ssshhhh, you must not let on you're not impressed on here.

I did once but I think I got away with it
Last edited by Dirk on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 29592
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5


Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles