World Cup 2018

The back of the net.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by moleamol @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Strawman wrote:Yes VAR works well, the argument against was that it would break up the flow of the game, but they only use it occasionally and the game is usually broken up at that point anyway because the players are arguing with the ref.

The game is broken up all the time because they are all massive fcuking babies. Football really is properly shit.
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11421
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Calm down Moley, it's only the world most popular sport, it's not for everyone but hardly shit.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39459
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 pm

They are a lot of massive tumbling crybabies though, rolling into the floor clutching their faces of there's even a stiff breeze.

That said; good grief this has been an exciting world cup so far. Although right now, heading into a penalty shootout, it's utter agony.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 12816
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 pm

FFS England through on a penalty shootout !!!!!!1111111!!!
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39459
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 pm

What a game that was. Roll on Saturday.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Baby Huey wrote:What a game that was. Roll on Saturday.


Colombia were better than expected.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Baby Huey @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:03 am

Strawman wrote:Calm down Moley, it's only the world most popular sport, it's not for everyone but hardly shit.


Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:31 am

Baby Huey wrote:Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.

If popularity were a measure of excitement and quality then it would mean Ed Sheeran was exciting, and "I'm a celebrity get me out..." was high quality.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30282
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:42 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Strawman wrote:Calm down Moley, it's only the world most popular sport, it's not for everyone but hardly shit.


Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.


Is the reason that the players and spectators can keep up with the much simpler rules?
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 5891
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:24 am

Damien Thorn wrote:They are a lot of massive tumbling crybabies though, rolling into the floor clutching their faces of there's even a stiff breeze.


As a former rugby player (sadly now too broken) and a rugby fan I've never really got into football. I like to watch the big tournaments though, but I find the melodrama and histrionics around the constant throwing themselves to the floor to be bewildering and embarrassing.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 16968
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:30 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:They are a lot of massive tumbling crybabies though, rolling into the floor clutching their faces of there's even a stiff breeze.


As a former rugby player (sadly now too broken) and a rugby fan I've never really got into football. I like to watch the big tournaments though, but I find the melodrama and histrionics around the constant throwing themselves to the floor to be bewildering and embarrassing.

What he said.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 5891
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:They are a lot of massive tumbling crybabies though, rolling into the floor clutching their faces of there's even a stiff breeze.


As a former rugby player (sadly now too broken) and a rugby fan I've never really got into football. I like to watch the big tournaments though, but I find the melodrama and histrionics around the constant throwing themselves to the floor to be bewildering and embarrassing.

The annoying thing is the diving and simulation could be eliminated immediately if FIFA wanted to. Review the tapes afterwards and punish the players and clubs harshly.

Rivaldo got a player sent off for this. Seriously just ban him for a year. Make an example of him and half dozen others and show it's unacceptable.

Image
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 34969
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 am

From what I can gather from the radio, England have won the World Cup.

Well done!


Oh hang on. <reads report>

Ahh, I see, didn't score a proper goal, just penalties. Never mind.

Difficult choice for me on Saturday: Sweden who knocked out Italy or England and their wonderful fans.


I was in the gym/hotel bar last night and it was pleasing to see how it brought out the best in people.
Especially the moment of the equaliser when a 60 yr old Englishman and a twenty something Welshman went toe to toe.
Sickening.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12596
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:33 am

If only all British fans could be such cultured gentlemen as Italian football fans ID.

Image
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:35 am

Il Duce wrote:I was in the gym/hotel bar last night and it was pleasing to see how it brought out the best in people.
Especially the moment of the equaliser when a 60 yr old Englishman and a twenty something Welshman went toe to toe.
Sickening.



I think that probably says more about your gym/hotel.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14217
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:They are a lot of massive tumbling crybabies though, rolling into the floor clutching their faces of there's even a stiff breeze.


As a former rugby player (sadly now too broken) and a rugby fan I've never really got into football. I like to watch the big tournaments though, but I find the melodrama and histrionics around the constant throwing themselves to the floor to be bewildering and embarrassing.

What he said.


I have a naive and wistful hope that VAR might actually reduce the histrionics. Esp if refs are prepared to dish out yellow cards for faking. The touch judge intervention, and more recently the video ref have all but eliminated the sly left hook in the maul in RU.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:49 am

Greg66 wrote:Esp if refs are prepared to dish out yellow cards for faking.

This is the key issue.

If they started handing out yellow cards then the more egregious play acting and rolling about would come to an end pretty damned quickly. Watching the antics of Neymar is just embarrassing.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6141
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:52 am

S1K wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Esp if refs are prepared to dish out yellow cards for faking.

This is the key issue.

If they started handing out yellow cards then the more egregious play acting and rolling about would come to an end pretty damned quickly. Watching the antics of Neymar is just embarrassing.


Absolutely. The other thing that RU refs used to do was march a penalty ten yards forwards if they got backchat or argument about their decision. You just never ever see that happen any more - the solution eliminated the problem.

Argue over a free kick - move it forwards. Argue over a penalty - award the goal immediately.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 am

Can anyone who is knowledgeable about football explain one thing to me.

When there was that headbutt incident.
Clearly headbutting is a foul for which a direct free kick (and thus penalty if in the box) is awarded
Clearly the offence took place in the box
Clearly the referee recognised that the offence took place because he issued a yellow card

So why was the free kick not changed to a penalty because of the new offence?
Last edited by Dirk on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30282
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:15 am

It happened during a deadball situation I guess
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 34969
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:23 am

thekungfury wrote:It happened during a deadball situation I guess

Interesting, In which case can you do what the fcuk you like until the freekick is taken?
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30282
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:25 am

Dirk wrote:
thekungfury wrote:It happened during a deadball situation I guess

Interesting, In which case can you do what the fcuk you like until the freekick is taken?

no, because yellow card...
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4329
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:30 am

I guess so.

Thanks

I guess that is related to why in rugby anyone that complains about an offence being awarded can get marched back 10m, but in football the ref cannot
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30282
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Baby Huey @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am

Dirk wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.

If popularity were a measure of excitement and quality then it would mean Ed Sheeran was exciting, and "I'm a celebrity get me out..." was high quality.


Oh come off it. There’s a reason 95% of the World could not give a shit about Rugby and Cricket. Are you really trying to say the unpopulararity of these sports is a sign of how great they. That would make Chris Evans the greatest man in the world.

As I said elsewhere I’m not even huge football fan. I’ve just been enjoying the World Cup.

Having grown up surrounded by sports obsessed dullards, it really not my bag, Baby.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:39 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.

If popularity were a measure of excitement and quality then it would mean Ed Sheeran was exciting, and "I'm a celebrity get me out..." was high quality.


Oh come off it. There’s a reason 95% of the World could not give a shit about Rugby and Cricket.

Cricket is watched by a third of the planet.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 34969
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:42 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.

If popularity were a measure of excitement and quality then it would mean Ed Sheeran was exciting, and "I'm a celebrity get me out..." was high quality.


Oh come off it. There’s a reason 95% of the World could not give a shit about Rugby and Cricket. Are you really trying to say the unpopulararity of these sports is a sign of how great they. That would make Chris Evans the greatest man in the world.

As I said elsewhere I’m not even huge football fan. I’ve just been enjoying the World Cup.

Having grown up surrounded by sports obsessed dullards, it really not my bag, Baby.

No, I never said that cricket and rugby were great. That is known as a logical fallacy. I said that football being popular does not make it great
Nowhere did I state or imply the negative

And once again you are at odd with the facts.
Football fans worldwide: 3.5bn
Cricket fans worldwide: 2.5bn
So it is quite a lot more than 5% who care about cricket, and not as far behind football as you evidently think

Sources
https://list25.com/25-most-popular-sports-in-the-world/
https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
https://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/fans.htm
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30282
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:48 am

Dirk wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:Yes, there’s a reason football has taken over the world and rugbo and cricket haven’t. Because very dull.

If popularity were a measure of excitement and quality then it would mean Ed Sheeran was exciting, and "I'm a celebrity get me out..." was high quality.


Oh come off it. There’s a reason 95% of the World could not give a shit about Rugby and Cricket. Are you really trying to say the unpopulararity of these sports is a sign of how great they. That would make Chris Evans the greatest man in the world.

As I said elsewhere I’m not even huge football fan. I’ve just been enjoying the World Cup.

Having grown up surrounded by sports obsessed dullards, it really not my bag, Baby.

No, I never said that cricket and rugby were great. That is known as a logical fallacy. I said that football being popular does not make it great
Nowhere did I state or imply the negative

And once again you are at odd with the facts.
Football fans worldwide: 3.5bn
Cricket fans worldwide: 2.5bn
So it is quite a lot more than 5% who care about cricket, and not as far behind football as you evidently think

Sources
https://list25.com/25-most-popular-sports-in-the-world/
https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
https://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/fans.htm



Jesus fcuking christ.You two are as dull as a fcuk. Please either PM each other your facts shots and source shots.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14217
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

Bodhi wrote:
Il Duce wrote:I was in the gym/hotel bar last night and it was pleasing to see how it brought out the best in people.
Especially the moment of the equaliser when a 60 yr old Englishman and a twenty something Welshman went toe to toe.
Sickening.



I think that probably says more about your gym/hotel.


Not really. It's normally a nice place with nice people.
You know, the sort of place that wouldn't let you in?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12596
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:56 am

Il Duce wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Il Duce wrote:I was in the gym/hotel bar last night and it was pleasing to see how it brought out the best in people.
Especially the moment of the equaliser when a 60 yr old Englishman and a twenty something Welshman went toe to toe.
Sickening.



I think that probably says more about your gym/hotel.


Not really. It's normally a nice place with nice people.
You know, the sort of place that wouldn't let you in?


:rofl:
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14217
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 pm

n
Last edited by Turntable on Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 31467
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles