World Cup (the cricket one)

Silly mid on.

World Cup (the cricket one)

Post by Dirk @ Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 pm

WIth England (as hosts and favourites) opening the proceedings at this moment (151-3 off 26.3)...

Anyone else interested or is even creating this thread a waste of time?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: World Cup (the cricket one)

Post by tanglerat @ Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 pm

I'll pity-post occasionally, if you like.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Dirk @ Thu May 30, 2019 1:30 pm

tanglerat wrote:I'll pity-post occasionally, if you like.

I appreciate the patronising offer.

So, do you think England (currentlly 249-5 off 41.4) are going to post a large enough total in the first match?
Dirk

Post by tanglerat @ Thu May 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Dirk wrote:

So, do you think England (currentlly 249-5 off 41.4) are going to post a large enough total in the first match?

Bearing in mind that i know the sum total of the cubed root of fcuk-all squared about cricket, I would say yes, should do. I read somewhere in passing, apparently, England's cricket team are pretty good nowadays, and have been enjoying a winning run of matches recently?
tanglerat

Post by Dirk @ Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm

They have and are favourites, not the best innings against SA though - just 311

If you want any explanations about cricket then I am quite prepared to patronise* you back with a simple explanation

* that means talk down to you
Dirk

Post by tanglerat @ Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Dirk wrote:They have and are favourites, not the best innings against SA though - just 311

If you want any explanations about cricket then I am quite prepared to patronise* you back with a simple explanation

Let's start with the basics. Why do both teams in a match wear the same color of clothes? Surely 2 different teams = 2 different colours of strip?
tanglerat

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu May 30, 2019 4:57 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Dirk wrote:They have and are favourites, not the best innings against SA though - just 311

Let's start with the basics. Why do both teams in a match wear the same color of clothes? Surely 2 different teams = 2 different colours of strip?

In one day matches, like the WC, they do wear different coloured strips. In Test cricket they wear whites - and as it's always 11 v 2, with two being easy to spot by dint of them carrying bats, there's not a great deal of need for different strips.
ttwiggy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu May 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Dirk wrote:

Yes

They did and they won. They’ll batter opposition into submission. The rules favour batting sides so heavily it’s all become rather dull.
Doctor Congo

Post by mervynp @ Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Interested yes, but at a distance so not following too closely. Good start from England who seem to be in form, and given the substantial home ground advantage I expect they will get to the final as long as they can avoid injury and not go to pieces/get into bar brawls. If I were a gambling man I'd like India in the final as well but the Aussies looked pretty good in their warm up . Cricket fans in my office are split between England (me) India and Australia and the others are much more into it which may be influencing my thinking.
mervynp

Post by CJ+ @ Thu May 30, 2019 6:37 pm

Astonishing catch from Stokes!
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by minornut @ Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 pm

I’m very interested as I will be at Trent bridge on Monday to watch England vs Pakistan courtesy of a supplier.

I enjoyed listening to what I could of today’s match TMS and some of the fielding was spectacular.

Currently warming up the liver with a week in Cyprus
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 am

Doctor Congo wrote:The rules favour batting sides so heavily it’s all become rather dull.

I know that there are a lot of people who say that but I'm not so convinced. Take yesterday. World cup match between two of the top sides in the world. England lost 8 wickets and SA were all out. So there was enough there for the bowlers. You wouldn't want to tip it the other way so that both sides were all out after 20 overs

And off a pace bowler the batsmen only have about 0.5s from the ball leaving the bowler's hand to work out where the ball is going, pick a shot, move to it and play the shot. I think its incredible they succeed as well as they do
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 9:17 am

Yesterday was barely a contest after 30 overs of England batting. It was dull and predictable. A new ball at either end negates any reverse swing or skill in bowling. It’s just line and length. They swing for about 2 overs then it’s easy pickings for the batsmen.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 9:25 am

If it was so easy why were 18 batsmen out?
And it certainly wasn't predictable. Half way through the SA innings they were in with a good chance. It was only when De Kock was out in the 23rd over that England fans started to breath easily.
Dirk

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri May 31, 2019 9:33 am

Dirk wrote:... It was only when De Kock was out...

Childish snigger.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 am

Aesgarth wrote:
Dirk wrote:... It was only when De Kock was out...

Childish snigger.

So you're disappointed that Willey wasn't picked?

Still nothing can beat the old eternal:

The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey
Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 am

So to today...Pakistan vs WI

Confident Dr C?

I think if Gayle runs riot with the bat then WI will win, but if Pakistan can get him relatively cheaply then they will because WI are too much a one trick pony

WI win toss and are bowling first so we'll have to wait for those fireworks
Dirk

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 11:56 am

Doctor Congo wrote: A new ball at either end negates any reverse swing or skill in bowling. It’s just line and length. They swing for about 2 overs then it’s easy pickings for the batsmen.

It feels cruel to press the point when its your team, but WI bowlers don't seem to having trouble

Pakistan currently collapsing at 75-5 off 16.1

Notes for those unfamiliar with cricket, when we list scores like that above it means that Pakistan have scored 75, lost 5 wickets with 16 overs and 1 ball having been played so far. With these matches having innings 50 overs it seems likely that Pakistan will not get anywhere close to the end of the innings before they are all out. And with 300+ being the 'norm' for an innings these days they don't like reaching that. Worse still Trent Bridge where they are playing has short boundaries so higher scores are the norm there

ETA - another wicket gone in the same over
Last edited by Dirk on Fri May 31, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dirk

Post by ttwiggy @ Fri May 31, 2019 12:26 pm

Don't start confusing people with terms like 'shirt boundaries' Dirk!
ttwiggy

Post by CJ+ @ Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 pm

lol Pakistan (soz doc, but they were absolute shite)

Windies bowlers on absolute fire. Gayle likely to inflict similar with the bat.
CJ+

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 pm

ttwiggy wrote:Don't start confusing people with terms like 'shirt boundaries' Dirk!

Ooops, corrected

That was quite impressive from WI. Proved me wrong that they are a one trick pony, and Dr C wrong that batsmen have too much of an advantage

I reckon there will be a few batsmen asking for bowling machines set to fast and short over the coming weeks
Dirk

Post by ttwiggy @ Fri May 31, 2019 1:35 pm

I wonder if the grounds staff have been tasked with producing fast tracks as England probably feel they have the depth of batting to deal with a few lost wickets, and some fast arms and good fielding to get other sides out.
ttwiggy

Post by CJ+ @ Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pm

Oof. That's a massive bumming.

One of tomorrow's games looks interesting - NZ vs Sri Lanka.

I reckon Afghanistan vs Australia will just be a thumping for Afghanistan, but a surprise could happen.
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote: A new ball at either end negates any reverse swing or skill in bowling. It’s just line and length. They swing for about 2 overs then it’s easy pickings for the batsmen.

It feels cruel to press the point when its your team, but WI bowlers don't seem to having trouble

Pakistan currently collapsing at 75-5 off 16.1

Notes for those unfamiliar with cricket, when we list scores like that above it means that Pakistan have scored 75, lost 5 wickets with 16 overs and 1 ball having been played so far. With these matches having innings 50 overs it seems likely that Pakistan will not get anywhere close to the end of the innings before they are all out. And with 300+ being the 'norm' for an innings these days they don't like reaching that. Worse still Trent Bridge where they are playing has short boundaries so higher scores are the norm there

ETA - another wicket gone in the same over

Yes Pakistan are utter shit. Any bowling attack would take them apart. Yesterday’s game was rubbish Dirk, one sided rubbish. England steamrolled SA. They only lost wickets as they took ridiculous chances to increase run rate rather than any genuine skill from the SA bowlers.

The emphasis on the batting sides has made these games a turgid affair of pie throwers bowling slower balls whilst batsmen are trying to hit the ball as far as possible.

Pakistan are about 20 years behind the other ODI teams partly as they have been isolated from playing on the same terms as other teams partly due to the chaotic structure in their game, but then again WI were just the same only 6 months ago, now I think they are actual contenders.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 2:35 pm

CJ+ wrote:Oof. That's a massive bumming.

One of tomorrow's games looks interesting - NZ vs Sri Lanka.

I reckon Afghanistan vs Australia will just be a thumping for Afghanistan, but a surprise could happen.

It won’t be. NZ will wipe the floor with SL. As will Australia
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
The emphasis on the batting sides has made these games a turgid affair of pie throwers bowling slower balls whilst batsmen are trying to hit the ball as far as possible.

I don't get that. Don't me wrong, a Boycottesque display of defensive shots has its place in test cricket. But I think the world cup already has shown a great variety of skills more appropriate to ODIs.

Yes, that includes English batsmen and Chris Gayle.
But on the other hand it has included some fabulous fielding and very skillful bowling.The WI fast bowlers produced a display of short bowling that reminds me rather too uncomfortably of the WI of yore.

In both matches one of the teams has been bowled out. And the other has lost a significant number of wickets.

Yes, there are a lot more boundaries nowadays, party due to the dual new balls, but more IMO due to improvements in bat design. Also there are a greater variety of shots played by the batsmen nowadays. The reverse sweep and the scoop were unheard of when I grew up. So yes that is harder to field and bow to because they can score in more sways, but that is a sign if increasing skill, not the opposite.

And if it makes you feel any better, in 1992 Pakistan lost to WI in their first match of the world cup...and went on to win it
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 4:59 pm

Dirk wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:

I don't get that. Don't me wrong, a Boycottesque display of defensive shots has its place in test cricket. But I think the world cup already has shown a great variety of skills more appropriate to ODIs.

Yes, that includes English batsmen and Chris Gayle.
But on the other hand it has included some fabulous fielding and very skillful bowling.The WI fast bowlers produced a display of short bowling that reminds me rather too uncomfortably of the WI of yore.

In both matches one of the teams has been bowled out. And the other has lost a significant number of wickets.

Yes, there are a lot more boundaries nowadays, party due to the dual new balls, but more IMO due to improvements in bat design. Also there are a greater variety of shots played by the batsmen nowadays. The reverse sweep and the scoop were unheard of when I grew up. So yes that is harder to field and bow to because they can score in more sways, but that is a sign if increasing skill, not the opposite.

And if it makes you feel any better, in 1992 Pakistan lost to WI in their first match of the world cup...and went on to win it

It’s quite simple.

Having 2 new balls negates any reverse swing and also proper spin bowling as the ball is harder for longer. Bats which are like heavy suitcases and batsmen that cannot be physically intimidated by a bowler means they can swing their bat with impunity on often flat lifeless pitches.

Why do you think the best test bowlers now don’t really thrive in odi or even 20/20? Because there is no real contest between bat and ball. The consequence has been increasing numbers of ridiculous high scores.It’s quite sad and has really deteriorated in quality since the end of the 90s early 2000s.

Today’s performance by the Windies was good but against a truly spineless team devoid of confidence after losing 10 games on the trot including Afghanistan.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 31, 2019 5:25 pm

Although I wouldn’t go as far as Congers he does have a point. The shorter the format the more a slogfest it is.

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the Barmy Army ripping David Warner and Steve Smith to bits.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 5:38 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Although I wouldn’t go as far as Congers he does have a point. The shorter the format the more a slogfest it is.

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the Barmy Army ripping David Warner and Steve Smith to bits.

Of course it does. That is the point of the shorter format.

Just don't see it as turgid and boring because of it. All 3(4) formats offer something different
Dirk

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 31, 2019 6:34 pm

Dirk wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Although I wouldn’t go as far as Congers he does have a point. The shorter the format the more a slogfest it is.

Of course it does. That is the point of the shorter format.

Just don't see it as turgid and boring because of it. All 3(4) formats offer something different

The point being it goes too far, although I agree with your second point.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Next

Return to Cricket