World Cup (the cricket one)

Silly mid on.

Re: World Cup (the cricket one)

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Justin Langer says Smith and Warner should be show respect and people shouldn’t boo them. What a colossal tw@t.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Dirk wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Although I wouldn’t go as far as Congers he does have a point. The shorter the format the more a slogfest it is.

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the Barmy Army ripping David Warner and Steve Smith to bits.

Of course it does. That is the point of the shorter format.

Just don't see it as turgid and boring because of it. All 3(4) formats offer something different

Depends what you want out of it. Colossal scores where batsmen just batter poor bowling around a pitch or genuinely skilful bowlers making the batsmen work hard against a swinging/seaming/spinning ball.

That’s why test cricket is so much better than shortened format now as there’s an actual contest whereas odi isn’t a contest.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 7:33 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Justin Langer says Smith and Warner should be show respect and people shouldn’t boo them. What a colossal tw@t.

He is a prize penis. Why should they get any respect after what they did? It’s the sense of entitlement Australia feel they have after years of bending the rules to suit their game.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:That’s why test cricket is so much better than shortened format now as there’s an actual contest whereas odi isn’t a contest.

I think the first two matches have disproved. Yes Pakistan were poor, but that was a very good display of aggressive, pace bowling. And yesterday England had a mix of Archer with his pace and Rashid's spin

Genuinely skillful bowling, not poor at all.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

World Cup (the cricket one)

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Dirk wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:That’s why test cricket is so much better than shortened format now as there’s an actual contest whereas odi isn’t a contest.

I think the first two matches have disproved. Yes Pakistan were poor, but that was a very good display of aggressive, pace bowling. And yesterday England had a mix of Archer with his pace and Rashid's spin

Genuinely skillful bowling, not poor at all.

It wasn’t disproved and neither was a good game. One sided snore fests. Zero contest even midway through the first innings.

England won by weight of runs. Yes Archer was good, but good as he had 310 to defend as was Rashid. Try defending 230. Bowling fast and straight (and short) is not skilful bowling, particularly when you’ve got a massive number of runs to defend. Anderson is a skilful bowler, swing seam and useful pace to outthink the batsmen whatever the conditions.

Pakistan were hopeless and actually gave many of their wickets away. I could’ve bowled them out. Let see how the Windies fare against a team that can bat.
Last edited by Doctor Congo on Fri May 31, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Congo

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 pm

I've played cricket my whole life (as a fast bowler) and totally agree with Dr C. The sooner they start using a proper cricket ball instead of that awful Kookaburra, the sooner we will start seeing some proper cricket.

When 6-8 an over becomes normal, something is wrong. Wickets falling regularly isn't the problem, it's the artificially high run rate that I find irksome. We have T20 for people who enjoy seeing balls disappearing out of the ground every two minutes.

Personally I'd like to see ODI return to white kits and a red (Dukes) ball. Otherwise it's just T50, a longer version of T20.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:I've played cricket my whole life (as a fast bowler) and totally agree with Dr C. The sooner they start using a proper cricket ball instead of that awful Kookaburra, the sooner we will start seeing some proper cricket.

When 6-8 an over becomes normal, something is wrong. Wickets falling regularly isn't the problem, it's the artificially high run rate that I find irksome. We have T20 for people who enjoy seeing balls disappearing out of the ground every two minutes.

Personally I'd like to see ODI return to white kits and a red (Dukes) ball. Otherwise it's just T50, a longer version of T20.

Agree. It’s just dull now. I think the IPL has accelerated the decline in the shorter format. The kookaburra is a terrible ball that offers nothing to a bowler with skill and having a new ball at each end is so negative and tipped in the favour of batsmen, it’s absurd.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Justin Langer says Smith and Warner should be show respect and people shouldn’t boo them. What a colossal tw@t.

He is a prize penis. Why should they get any respect after what they did? It’s the sense of entitlement Australia feel they have after years of bending the rules to suit their game.

I didn’t see him demanding Stuart Broad be treated with respect when he didn’t walk a few years back.

Broad got what he deserved and so will that odious little cnut Warner and crybaby Smith.
DI Burnside

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:I've played cricket my whole life (as a fast bowler) and totally agree with Dr C. The sooner they start using a proper cricket ball instead of that awful Kookaburra, the sooner we will start seeing some proper cricket.

Agree. It’s just dull now. I think the IPL has accelerated the decline in the shorter format. The kookaburra is a terrible ball that offers nothing to a bowler with skill and having a new ball at each end is so negative and tipped in the favour of batsmen, it’s absurd.

It’s not just the IPL though, the Big Bash too.

It’s got it’s place but it shouldn’t have the impact it does on the longer versions.
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:

I didn’t see him demanding Stuart Broad be treated with respect when he didn’t walk a few years back.

Broad got what he deserved and so will that odious little cnut Warner and crybaby Smith.

Yup totally agree. They like to dish it out but can’t accept it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:

It’s not just the IPL though, the Big Bash too.

It’s got it’s place but it shouldn’t have the impact it does on the longer versions.

True though I think IPL gets most coverage and it’s not possible for me to give less of a shit about it. It’s disposable rubbish. Both tournaments have changed the shake of non test cricket but made them more dull while test cricket gets more exciting as it offers an actual contest.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Oof. That's a massive bumming.

One of tomorrow's games looks interesting - NZ vs Sri Lanka.

I reckon Afghanistan vs Australia will just be a thumping for Afghanistan, but a surprise could happen.

It won’t be. NZ will wipe the floor with SL. As will Australia

So my prediction was spot on.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Bangladesh look like they may pick up a surprise win against SA here. SA will have to do very well to escape from this
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Dirk wrote:Bangladesh look like they may pick up a surprise win against SA here. SA will have to do very well to escape from this

A not a surprise win. SA bowlers smashed about with little technique by Bangladesh and now literal pie chuckers defending a huge total. It’ll be a surprise if SA hold it together to win.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Well not its not a surprise if you watched how the match has happened. TBH I don't find many results are a surprise if I watched the match.
I mean more of a surprise compared to expectations before the match because SA were ranked #3 and Bangladesh #7
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Dirk wrote:Well not its not a surprise if you watched how the match has happened. TBH I don't find many results are a surprise if I watched the match.
I mean more of a surprise compared to expectations before the match because SA were ranked #3 and Bangladesh #7

It’s not a surprise because the format of the game has been ruined. Ranking means little. The result of this match could be called within the first 10 SA overs. Another noncontest.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Yeah, you've made your point that you think ODI's have been spoiled.

How about letting the rest of us enjoy it now?
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Wow that was a nail biter.
Doctor Congo

Post by Bodhi @ Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:I hate ODI cricket, it's all shit..DID YOU HEAR ME... I keep telling you it's shit

Yeah we get it Doc,

Maybe relax a bit and sit the next couple of plays out ok?

We totally understand that you don't like 50 over cricket, but it's pretty boring if you keep going on about it.
Bodhi

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am

Well that wasn't very impressive yesterday. Hopefully it will wake them out of complacency and now they will go on to win (glass half full)
Dirk

Post by minornut @ Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Dirk wrote:Well that wasn't very impressive yesterday. Hopefully it will wake them out of complacency and now they will go on to win (glass half full)

It was a shambolic bowling and fielding performance.
Far too many extras given away
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Is there a reason why India plays their first game after all other teams have played one or some 2 games?
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Did seem strange scheduling. It was SA's 3rd game.

No idea why
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Dirk wrote:Did seem strange scheduling. It was SA's 3rd game.

No idea why

My guess would be money
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Good match between Aus and India. Latter seem to have thedge
Dirk

Post by minornut @ Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Australia seemed to play like a England 2015 vintage
minornut

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

After a couple of days rained off, we have a match again - Eng vs WI

England rather need this one after losing the other day. Reasonable start. Currently WI are 106-3 off 23.3
Dirk

Post by minornut @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:50 pm

And now 149-4 but Jason Roy can’t bat until 7 which will make the batting a bit more interesting
minornut

Post by minornut @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 pm

156-5. Root with another c&b!
minornut

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:32 pm

202-8 , just a couple more to go

But Morgan now injured as well
Dirk