Latest F1 News...

Sports with engines.

Re: Latest F1 News...

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Darthdeathdealer wrote:
S1K wrote:There is something interesting happening in F1 at the moment.

Ferrari have rapidly made a massive step forward in engine performance equivalent to a couple of years worth of development and the other engine/electric motor manufacturers don't understand how they've done it. Their acceleration out of corners is indicating that they've managed somehow to deliver a massive wodge more of electric power but all teams are limited to a maximum of 120KW and the FIA have checked out Ferrari's system and say that they're not exceeding that limit.

Nothing stays secret for ever in F1 so it'll be interesting to find out what they've done in time.

It’s a more ‘intelligent’ electric boost system than the other teams have. It puts all the boosted power to the wheel with the best grip, based on feedback from the wheel speed sensors and load cells on the suspension. Nothing dodgy, just very very clever manipulation of existing tech regs and equipment. One key difference in the Ferrari system is that it can tell not only where to put the extra power, but when, and for how long to get the most efficient boost. It’s a bit like an inversed version of the ‘brake steer’ system, which was on the Mclaren in the noughties, but was quickly outlawed.

Are you sure about that? Because the regs say:

The Regs wrote:The MGU-K must be solely and permanently mechanically linked to the powertrain before the main clutch.

Which begs the question how exactly do they split just the electrical power between each wheel and not ALL the power (engine and MGU-K)? And if they're splitting the power, then is that not a form of traction control and therefore banned?

So many questions, if only there was somebody who knew facts and didn't just make bullshit up...

The battery is split into two parts.
There is a possibility that it is illegal but it's being overlooked so that Ferrari will comply with the new regs in 2019 without a fuss.
Last edited by Il Duce on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:23 am

Are you DDD's secret contact ID or is he yours?
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am

S1K wrote:Are you DDD's secret contact ID or is he yours?

DDD is on ignore so I have no idea what he's been saying.
The first part of my statement is fact.
The second part is conjecture hence my using the word "possibility".

What is your point?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:24 pm

Just a joke. DDD was hinting that he had some inside info.

It's known that Ferrari have split the battery and other teams suspected that they were feeding power from both halves and somehow bypassing the FIA sensor to deliver more than 120KW but after investigating further at Monaco the FIA said that whatever Ferrari are doing is okay. As far as I can make out the other teams, and certainly Mercedes, believe that Ferrari are somehow delivering about 20% more than the 120KW limit.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:35 pm

S1K wrote:Just a joke. DDD was hinting that he had some inside info.

It's known that Ferrari have split the battery and other teams suspected that they were feeding power from both halves and somehow bypassing the FIA sensor to deliver more than 120KW but after investigating further at Monaco the FIA said that whatever Ferrari are doing is okay. As far as I can make out the other teams, and certainly Mercedes, believe that Ferrari are somehow delivering about 20% more than the 120KW limit.

The FIA know they are cheating and they won't do anything about it on condition that Ferrari doesn't make too much fuss when the new rules come in.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Revol @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm

S1K wrote: As far as I can make out the other teams, and certainly Mercedes, believe that Ferrari are somehow delivering about 20% more than the 120KW limit.

From.what source? Not saying you're wrong but I've not read this anywhere and would like to.
Revol

Post by S1K @ Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:47 pm

That's what Nico Rosberg said after the race on Sunday.
S1K

Post by S1K @ Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Daniel Ricardo is going from Red Bull to Renault for next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45056366

Did anyone see that coming?
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 pm

S1K wrote:Daniel Ricardo is going from Red Bull to Renault for next year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45056366

Did anyone see that coming?

Probably not Carlos Sainz jnr....
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by stuart @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Kubica will be back next year!

Racing for Williams.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Kubica will be at the back next year if he's racing for Williams
S1K

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:21 pm

stuart wrote:Kubica will be back next year!

Racing for Williams.

S1K wrote:Kubica will be at the back next year if he's racing for Williams

:laugh:
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by stuart @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:26 pm

S1K wrote:Kubica will be at the back next year if he's racing for Williams

Probably.

But, if he still has it, spanks his team-mate and performs well then there's a possibility, albeit slim, that he can end up back at a top team fighting for wins and maybe even a championship...

If he hadn't had his accident he might have won multiple championships. He certainly had the talent!

I'd love to see him get a proper chance again.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:27 pm

I certainly wish him well. The pictures of the rally car he crashed are horrific and the fact he came out of it alive is quite amazing.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am

Vettel V Hamilton incident yesterday.

Vettel is tw@t for making shitty mistakes but 'm not sure he deserved the 5 second penalty.

I am Ferrari biased so I'm struggling to have a balanced view.

Any views from Hamilton/neutral fans?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 am

I’m a neutral and I think the penalty was a bit harsh and if I was making the decision I probably would have let it go as a racing incident, but I can see how they imposed it too.

Hamilton was quick to say that it wasn’t his decision and how he didn’t like to win that way but he was straight on the radio to the pits moaning about an unsafe return to the track when it happened. I can fully understand how pissed off Vettel must have been but on the other hand it wouldn’t have even happened if he had just stayed on the track.

It’s a shame that it spoiled the end of the race when it looked like there would be a good battle right to the line but shit happens.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Slightly harsh, but within the letter of rules it was correct I think. Once he had gone off Vettel couldn't have done much more, but once again when under pressure, he has cracked. Had he rejoined without blocking Hamilton then Hamilton would certainly have been past him. Therefore, although unintentional Vettel did gain by the way he rejoined, hence legit penalty

Vettel was then extremely childish in swapping round 1st and 2nd place markers, walking out of interview etc.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Previous

Return to Motorsport