Hopefully I can be fixed

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Hopefully I can be fixed

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 am

My left eye doesn't move to the left any more. If I look to the left it just sits there, leaving me looking all Clarence and unable to focus without shitting it.

I'm away at the minute so I'll make an appointment when I get back, but do you think I'm permanently broken or is there any hope of welding it or something so it works?
Last edited by DI Burnside on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Re: Attention 968 - Can I be fixed?

Post by Strawman @ Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 am

Can you get a Robot eyeball fitted ?

But most things can be fixed I think, depending on why they stopped working.
Strawman

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 am

DI Burnside wrote:My left eye doesn't move to the left any more. If I look to the left it just sits there, leaving me looking all Clarence and unable to focus without shitting it.

I'm away at the minute so I'll make an appointment when I get back, but do you think I'm permanently broken or is there any hope of welding it or something so it works?

When did this happen? Are you noticing any double vision? Any other symptoms, ie headaches, nausea, hearing loss etc? How old are you and do you have any other medical problems?

If this is new then the priority is to work out why this has happened and ensure there are no other issues. If old then there maybe treatment options depending on the cause.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 am

46 next month.

Double vision only due to the eye not moving, looking straight ahead or to the right is fine. It started a year or more ago but I've only just realised it's because my eye isn't moving.

I did go to the optician who found I was long sighted in one eye and short in the other so I have glasses to correct that, but I was told the looking left issue was due to me getting older and I'd have to live with it. That was January last year.

My hearing I'm my left ear isn't great, about 50% if I had to put a figure on it.

Headaches, now and then but nothing out of the ordinary, and no nausea.

No other health issues.
Last edited by DI Burnside on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:20 am

DI Burnside wrote:46 next month.

Double vision only due to the eye not moving, looking straight ahead or to the right is fine. It started a year or more ago but I've only just realised it's because my eye isn't moving.

I did go to the optician who found I was long sighted in one eye and short in the other so I have glasses to correct that, but I was told the looking left issue was due to me getting older and I'd have to live with it. That was January last year.

My hearing I'm my left ear isn't great, about 50% if I had to put a figure on it.

Headaches, now and then but nothing out of the ordinary, and no nausea.

No other health issues.

I think you need to go and see your GP.

The eye not moving means either the nerve or the muscle moving the eye outwards (lateral rectus and abducens nerve) is not working correctly, there are a variety of reasons for that but getting older isn't one of them. You need to be referred to an ophthalmologist or a neurologist. There are other issues due to the coordination of muscles which might be an issue needing investigation.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Yep, GP appointment when I get home. I was just after your opinion in the meantime :)

Thanks
DI Burnside

Post by peterpeter @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I hope you get your problem sorted and Ill say that even as his brother I would go to him...even tho hes a cnut.

BUT I must tell you a good story about 968..

about 3-4 years ago, we were on holiday with a big group of friends in a nice villa in Bergerac,
the boys were all in the pool a bit drunk, throwing our kids toys at each other- (these funny little material bags that soak up a ton of water- so when you hit someone in the face, makes a cools splat)

anyway after about 10-15 minutes of some good shots, I pulled a blinder- threw a diving shot that hit one mate straight in the face- right from the other side of the pool-
it was a classic low flier and the water splat was joyous.- anyway- it hit him in the eye- and suddenly after pissing ourselves laughing we all shot up to realise he might be hurt

anyway 968 was n't playing the game but was sitting by the side of the pool, in his shorts and I shit you not....
he jumped up and he pulled this opthalmoscope out of his bum (ok it was his bag) to examine my mates eye (mate is a pilot so his eyes are moderately important)_

After the relief of our friend not going blind, it made me realise how much he loves his job to carry one of those around with him- we regularly take the piss on this subject
when out about what a sad dedicated cnut he is.
peterpeter

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 pm

peterpeter wrote:After the relief of our friend not going blind, it made me realise how much he loves his job to carry one of those around with him- we regularly take the piss on this subject
when out about what a sad dedicated cnut he is.

So if he got a toothache while you were on holiday, you wouldn't sort him out with a bit of string and a door handle? Some brother!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Update, because I know you lot will be worried sick about me !

Saw a GP today and he's told me to go and see an optician again as it's less than 2 years since my eye test. Either they can refer me to an eyethalmologist, if required of course, or they can write to the GP who can.

Although not overly concerned he says he's going to play it safe and is going to refer me to a neurologist as there are 3 things (eye, hearing & headaches). He suspects they may do an MRI to check the wiring. He did mention the somethinginmedicaltalkorlatin nerve, which is apparently the one that tells the eye to look left, is obviously not working.

I'll book an opticians appointment and then wait for the neurologist appointment to come through, should be within 18 weeks.
DI Burnside

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm

DI Burnside wrote:He did mention the somethinginmedicaltalkorlatin nerve, which is apparently the one that tells the eye to look left...

And therein lies your problem. I bet you never learnt Latin at school did you? No, so how the hell are you supposed to obey the instructions of an ancient Italian nerve?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:He did mention the somethinginmedicaltalkorlatin nerve, which is apparently the one that tells the eye to look left...

And therein lies your problem. I bet you never learnt Latin at school did you? No, so how the hell are you supposed to obey the instructions of an ancient Italian nerve?

That's not my job, it's my brains !
DI Burnside

Post by Strawman @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Strawman

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Dunno, all I understood was the bit where he said "it's the one that tells the eye to move".

>is not an eye quack<
DI Burnside

Post by WalMitty @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 pm

An elderly relative of mine has just been diagnosed with arthritis of the eyes.
I hope you have nt got anything as ridiculous as that.
WalMitty

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 pm

If I have I'm not telling, that's absurd. I'd make something terribly manly up instead.
DI Burnside

Post by Strawman @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:00 pm

You are a robot sent from the future and your power chip is running down, what could be more manly than that??
Strawman

Post by span @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:27 pm

peterpeter wrote:I hope you get your problem sorted and Ill say that even as his brother I would go to him...even tho hes a cnut.

Are you brothers? I did not know.
DI Burnside wrote:That's not my job, it's my brains !

:hehe:
Homer-esque
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Update, because I know you lot will be worried sick about me !

Saw a GP today and he's told me to go and see an optician again as it's less than 2 years since my eye test. Either they can refer me to an eyethalmologist, if required of course, or they can write to the GP who can.

Although not overly concerned he says he's going to play it safe and is going to refer me to a neurologist as there are 3 things (eye, hearing & headaches). He suspects they may do an MRI to check the wiring. He did mention the somethinginmedicaltalkorlatin nerve, which is apparently the one that tells the eye to look left, is obviously not working.

I'll book an opticians appointment and then wait for the neurologist appointment to come through, should be within 18 weeks.

I'm hoping the optom didn't say oculomotor nerve because if they did, they need to do a refresher course! The muscle that moves the eye outwards is the abducens nerve which Strawman has said. I would get it checked out and I'd hope you're seen soon. If you develop other symptoms let me know ASAP.
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks 968, will do.

It wasn't an optomawhatsit that I saw, just a GP. I'll be making an appointment with an optician asap and will will have to wait for the nuero appointment to come through.
DI Burnside

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Opticians today. She ran some tests and says my eyes are not much different to last time they were checked, but was obviously concerned about something and gave me a letter to give to my GP and told me to take it straight to him. The letter said to make the Neurology appointment urgent, as in within a week.

2 things she said hit me a bit.

"We need to see if anything's going on with your brain" and "I don't think it's anything life threatening".

Very fcuking reassuring.

I went straight to my GP and managed to catch the duty doctor briefly. She looked at the letter and said she'd pass it onto the hospital, followed by "I don't think it's a tumour".

I now feel a little numb at the top of my left cheek, which I don't know if it's real or it's a mental response to what I've been told.

I don't mind admitting I'm a bit scared.
DI Burnside

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Hope you get the appt quick smart DIB, I fcuking hate that feeling.

eta: the worry/wait feeling not the spastic eye feeling.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Strawman @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 pm

I hope it's nothing serious or I'll look like a massive cnut for making those jokes earlier.
Strawman

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Strawman wrote:I hope it's nothing serious or I'll look like a massive cnut for making those jokes earlier.

You won't look like a cnut to DIB if you stand to his left...
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Strawman wrote:I hope it's nothing serious or I'll look like a massive cnut for making those jokes earlier.

You won't look like a cnut to DIB if you stand to his left...

He'll look like a double cnut if he stands to my left as I'll see 2 of him.
DI Burnside

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Not even three weeks after my bone marrow transplant, and this young upstart is grabbing the illness conch, and blowing hard.

Good luck with your wonky eye and face and hope it's nothing serious.
GingerNinja

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Less of the young.

Mine could be something or nothing, obviously preferably the latter, so you hang onto it for now.
DI Burnside

Post by moleamol @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Mine could be something or nothing, obviously preferably the latter, so you hang onto it for now.

He mentioned your face problem though. And I think your face is a pretty serious problem!
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Boo @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:12 pm

Saw this today at the beach and it reminded me of you, Burny.

Hope you're ok.
Boo

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I like that ! Did you bring it home ?
DI Burnside

Post by Boo @ Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I like that ! Did you bring it home ?

No.
:(
Boo

Next

Return to The Doctor's Surgery