Sick list

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Sick list

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 am

DI Burnside wrote:Back update !

Degenerated discs from T12 down to S1, progressively getting worse from top to bottom. I've been referred to a Neurosurgeon at Addenbrooke's and I'm trying to wrangle it so I see the same guy that did my tumour.

I had my annual head MRI a few weeks ago (I'll update on the other thread) and my Oncologist had seen my back MRI as it's part of my file. Although not her area given my slight celebrity status at Addenbrooke's she had a chat with the Neurosurgeon before I got there and is going to copy him in on everything. Hopefully he'll intercept my referral.

In the meantime I'm on a slowly increasing dose of Gabapentin to try and numb the nerve a bit, but it's not having any effect yet. I'm limited in what I can take (as in no anti-inflammatories) which doesn't help. The pain makes it quite debilitating at times, to such an extent I'm waiting on an appointment for an assessment to see if I qualify for a blue badge !

fcuking hell Dibbers, that's terrible. I've got two borked thoracic discs and the one above my new robodisc has decided to give up the ghost, which is more than a bit of an arse. Robodisc has started clicking on full extension which is somewhat disc concerting, but degeneration in T12 to S1 in toto :yikes:
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue May 15, 2018 6:45 am

Baby Huey wrote:What hasn't been wrong with me in the last year.

Start of October 2016 I fell downstairs at home and landed on my head. A trip to A and E revealed a fractured skull and a brain hemorrhage. Spent 3 months pretty much effed and bombed, still not quite there but so much better than I was.

All this time in hospital also revealed a previously undiagnosed heart condition that I've had a monitor fitted to keep an eye on me.

I think 45 might be the new 27.

Had two fairly big epileptic seizures in the last couple of months. Certainly didn’t see that one coming, side effect of brain injury. The planned return to work thwarted due to not being allowed to drive.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Tue May 15, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baby Huey

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 7:39 am

Kinnell Huey! I must have missed this when you posted before. That sounds horrible. Are the seizures a temporary thing, or don't they know?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:What hasn't been wrong with me in the last year.

Start of October 2016 I fell downstairs at home and landed on my head. A trip to A and E revealed a fractured skull and a brain hemorrhage. Spent 3 months pretty much effed and bombed, still not quite there but so much better than I was.

All this time in hospital also revealed a previously undiagnosed heart condition that I've had a monitor fitted to keep an eye on me.

I think 45 might be the new 27.

Had two fairly big epileptic seizures in the last couple of months. Certainly didn’t see that one coming, side effect of brain injury. The planned return to work thwarted due to not being allowed to drive.

That's a bit pants Huey, either you've no posted that before or I've missed it and I'm sorry to hear it.

Have you tried Access to Work ? https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am

Seizures should go away with the right treatment, we hope. Thanks for the link, I shall take a look.
Baby Huey

Post by span @ Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 am

Ah blimey!

Dibs, that sounds horrible, I'm sorry to hear it. Is it something that could be fixable?

And Huey I hadn't seen that earlier post either, and I'm really sorry to hear about the seizures. Must be frightening and worrying, but positive that they hope to stop the seizures.
span

Post by Dirk @ Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 am

Fcuking hell guys. Will you lot stop getting injured/sick.

How the hell am I going to get sympathy for my cricketing injury from Sunday- bruised little finger (no cupping required thanks)

Good luck
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

span wrote:Dibs, that sounds horrible, I'm sorry to hear it. Is it something that could be fixable?

I hope so. Surgery might be an option, but they can treat the symptoms with epidurals too. I won't know what the plan is until I've met with the Neurosurgeon.
DI Burnside

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:

Degenerated discs from T12 down to S1, progressively getting worse from top to bottom. I've been referred to a Neurosurgeon at Addenbrooke's and I'm trying to wrangle it so I see the same guy that did my tumour.

I had my annual head MRI a few weeks ago (I'll update on the other thread) and my Oncologist had seen my back MRI as it's part of my file. Although not her area given my slight celebrity status at Addenbrooke's she had a chat with the Neurosurgeon before I got there and is going to copy him in on everything. Hopefully he'll intercept my referral.

In the meantime I'm on a slowly increasing dose of Gabapentin to try and numb the nerve a bit, but it's not having any effect yet. I'm limited in what I can take (as in no anti-inflammatories) which doesn't help. The pain makes it quite debilitating at times, to such an extent I'm waiting on an appointment for an assessment to see if I qualify for a blue badge !

fcuking hell Dibbers, that's terrible. I've got two borked thoracic discs and the one above my new robodisc has decided to give up the ghost, which is more than a bit of an arse. Robodisc has started clicking on full extension which is somewhat disc concerting, but degeneration in T12 to S1 in toto :yikes:

Yes, best of luck Dibs. Sounds grim.
Baby Huey

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Sounds brutal dibs. Is that right that you've fcuked your entire lumbar spine? Do they know what's caused it?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 15, 2018 7:34 pm

At T12 it’s just a bit of swelling then the swelling gets progressively worse, getting bad at L4 then L5/S1 is where the swelling is so bad it’s pressing on the nerve root. I’ve got the report somewhere so I’ll dig it out.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 pm

That sounds horrible Dibs. Is there a root cause to your fcuked up back, like an accident or scoliosis or something? Strangely enough the woman who cut my hair today was telling me about how she broke her back falling off a horse then how much it hurt both times she was pregnant.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Here it is:

No idea what’s caused it, I’m old and a bit fat which wouldn’t have helped.
DI Burnside

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue May 15, 2018 7:49 pm

>takes contacts out<
>puts glasses on<
>takes glasses off and puts one sidearm in mouth<
Yes I see now.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Here it is:

No idea what’s caused it, I’m old and a bit fat which wouldn’t have helped.

I can sort of translate it if you like
Doctor Congo

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed May 16, 2018 12:49 am

S1K wrote:That sounds horrible Dibs. Is there a root cause to your fcuked up back, like an accident or scoliosis or something? Strangely enough the woman who cut my hair today was telling me about how she broke her back falling off a horse then how much it hurt both times she was pregnant.

That's a good point...

Dibs, have you done a pregnancy test?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Wed May 16, 2018 8:38 am

Doctor Congo wrote:I can sort of translate it if you like

I think that would probably be quite helpful DC.
S1K

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 16, 2018 9:35 am

Jesus. This forum is going to be almost a live study in the mid-life deterioration men. Our women seem to be immune.
Huey, sorry to hear all that. That is brutal.

Dibs, re your tumour: You mention that there is no noticeable change since the original operation, but am I right in thinking that it is inevitable that it will slowly grow again? Is it likely that it HAS actually grown in the past couple of years, but slowly enough to not be measuarable on the scans?
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am

Turntable wrote:Dibs, re your tumour: You mention that there is no noticeable change since the original operation, but am I right in thinking that it is inevitable that it will slowly grow again? Is it likely that it HAS actually grown in the past couple of years, but slowly enough to not be measuarable on the scans?

It won't shrink\disappear, the best case is it doesn't change at all. The radiotherapy has "stunned" it and that may either be permanent or it could start to grow again at any point. The signs have been good so far, not only has it not changed in size but there are some indications the radiotherapy has damaged it further.

The scans are pretty precise so it's definitely not grown at all.
DI Burnside

Post by Baby Huey @ Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 am

Cheers Turntable. Was getting a bit bored with the OP getting all the attention anyhoo.
Baby Huey

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 am

Baby Huey wrote:Cheers Turntable. Was getting a bit bored with the OP getting all the attention anyhoo.

I know! 37 pages of attention just for a little tiny tiny orange sized brain tumour.
What's your prognosis? Will you get back to normal or will you have permanent impairments?
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

DI Burnside wrote:The scans are pretty precise so it's definitely not grown at all.

Which scans do you have? Sophie's CT scans are oddly imprecise, despite being very clear. Any changes within 5mm in any direction are counted as 'no change' as that is their margin of error.
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am

Turntable wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:The scans are pretty precise so it's definitely not grown at all.

Which scans do you have? Sophie's CT scans are oddly imprecise, despite being very clear. Any changes within 5mm in any direction are counted as 'no change' as that is their margin of error.

I have Cube MRIs, they can look at slices of less than 1mm so any change at all would be detected.

How's she doing ?
DI Burnside

Post by Baby Huey @ Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

Turntable wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:Cheers Turntable. Was getting a bit bored with the OP getting all the attention anyhoo.

I know! 37 pages of attention just for a little tiny tiny orange sized brain tumour.
What's your prognosis? Will you get back to normal or will you have permanent impairments?

Dunno. Still waiting for the brain scans. They think they should be able to stop the seizures.
Baby Huey

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am

Fine thanks. No change for 4 years now. I liken it to having a diabetic kid. Pain in the arse with the medication and frequency of tests and scans but not an actual worry any more other than mild concerns over unknown long term effects of the drugs.
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 am

Turntable wrote:Fine thanks. No change for 4 years now. I liken it to having a diabetic kid. Pain in the arse with the medication and frequency of tests and scans but not an actual worry any more other than mild concerns over unknown long term effects of the drugs.

On balance that sounds good, glad to hear it.

Has she developed any superpowers yet from the meds and scans ?
DI Burnside

Post by Firkin @ Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm

DI Burnside wrote:to such an extent I'm waiting on an appointment for an assessment to see if I qualify for a blue badge !

So I might not be the only useless person around here to have one :hehe:
Firkin

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am

Turntable wrote:Fine thanks. No change for 4 years now.

This is very pleasing news

Turntable wrote:I liken it to having a diabetic kid. Pain in the arse with the medication and frequency of tests and scans but not an actual worry any more other than mild concerns over unknown long term effects of the drugs.

We're already seeing some side effects with LMT, her tooth enamel has been permanently weakened. We have to be very careful to limit sugar intake and be ruthless with mouthwash and regular and precise brushing. She understands why and wants to keep her teeth looking nice, so she's very good about it really.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am

Side effects of what Deut?
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 am

I've had a few PM's from concerned people, which has made me wonder if I mentioned this before on here, I was pretty sure I had.

The summary is, about 4 years ago LMT contracted a mystery virus that caused hemorrhaging in her brain/skull. It was utterly horrific, it made the tissue surrounding her eyes swell to the point where we were told her eyes would likely move from their sockets and a strong chance of blindness. It burst both her ear drums and put her in the ICU for two weeks, most of the time unconscious.

Two real moments stand out as truly the worst in my life, the first was when it all started and they had to take blood samples, orderlies had to hold her down whilst this was happening. It was incredibly painful for her and at 3 years old she couldn't understand why, she was screaming for me to make the men stop and I had to stand by and do nothing.

The second was when the consultants took us aside, asked us to sit down and explained that her chances were undetermined and at best 50/50.

Even typing this now still makes me feel physically sick and very tearful.
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery