Sick list

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Sick list

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am

Damn. I've been doing exercises with it and it's generally pretty good. It's just that my wedding and engagement rings don't fit any more thanks to the ligament damage. I might have to bite the bullet and get them made bigger. They're only a tiny bit too small, but they aren't wearable.

Span, I had an endoscopy a few months ago. They booked me in early so I didn't have to go the whole day without eating. I was advised to have sedation and even with that I found it quite uncomfortable and kept choking on the pipe thing (I tried to find a different way of saying this as it looks a bit rude but gave up).

I had a sore and achey throat afterwards but no other ill effects. I don't know about the shitting thing - I am guessing that's for colonoscopies specifically?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by desertweasel @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:33 am

span wrote:Does anyone have any experience they can share on colonoscopies / endoscopies? Particularly what to expect before and after, rather than the actual procedures.

Mr Span's having both done on Wednesday evening, and I'm just wondering what we should expect. I presume a day full of the shits in the run-up, but do you feel ill that day or is it just shitting? And what about the next day - do you feel rough from the procedures / the laxatives?

Thanks!

The drugs to empty you out are pretty violent but otherwise ok, I had sedation and to be honest can not really remember anything, no residual discomfort but was starving marvin afterwards.
They sent me home with a DVD, which was weird.
desertweasel

Post by Strawman @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:44 am

desertweasel wrote:They sent me home with a DVD, which was weird.

To give to your GP, or add to your highlights reel?
Strawman

Post by S1K @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am

Was the DVD related to the colonoscopy or just something they'd picked up in a charity shop? Danny Baker's Own Goals and Gaffs Volume 3 perhaps.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Pot-holing - a personal perspective?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by span @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I''m pleased that it sounds like you shouldn't feel too rough the next day, and also he's having a sedative and it sounds like that's the right way to go.

Thanks!
span

Post by deev @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Greg66 wrote: Tears take a long time (>weeks, more like months) to heal, and generate scar tissue which means that the ligament doesn't work as well as it did pre-tear (I think because the scar tissue is stiff vs the ligament which has some give in it, but not 100%).

Yep as far as I understand it the scar tissue makes it less elastic than it was before and not as strong and a little bit more brittle. My ligament at the side of my knee is like this, you can break the scar tissue down through deep massage (hurts like an bastard when the physio does it!) it's still never going to be quite right. but it can help a bit.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:22 pm

span wrote:Thanks everyone! I''m pleased that it sounds like you shouldn't feel too rough the next day, and also he's having a sedative and it sounds like that's the right way to go.

Thanks!

The sedative they used on me was like being drunk and I can’t really remember the procedure itself. Other than being starving I had no ill effects on the day or the day after.

I also have a dvd and some stills of my insides. Why they think anyone would want that is beyond me.

On the day before the procedure I recommend him not to stray too far from the loo once the tablets/liquids have been taken and drink looooaaaads of fluids.

And don’t trust a fart. It’s not particularly painful but the feeling you get is like needing to pass wind. I cannot stress this enough: IT ISN’T WIND.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:
span wrote:Thanks everyone! I''m pleased that it sounds like you shouldn't feel too rough the next day, and also he's having a sedative and it sounds like that's the right way to go.

Thanks!

The sedative they used on me was like being drunk and I can’t really remember the procedure itself. Other than being starving I had no ill effects on the day or the day after.

I also have a dvd and some stills of my insides. Why they think anyone would want that is beyond me.

On the day before the procedure I recommend him not to stray too far from the loo once the tablets/liquids have been taken and drink looooaaaads of fluids.

And don’t trust a fart. It’s not particularly painful but the feeling you get is like needing to pass wind. I cannot stress this enough: IT ISN’T WIND.

Hehe, thanks! I just pasted that into a message for him :)
span

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Imagine filling a giant whoopie cushion with mayonnaise and jumping on it from a bar stool
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:29 pm

thekungfury wrote:Imagine filling a giant whoopie cushion with mayonnaise and jumping on it from a bar stool

Forget using this as a metaphor, let's actually do this!
ttwiggy

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 am

thekungfury wrote:And don’t trust a fart. It’s not particularly painful but the feeling you get is like needing to pass wind. I cannot stress this enough: IT ISN’T WIND.

span wrote:Hehe, thanks! I just pasted that into a message for him :)

Show him that scene from Dumb n Dumber when Dumber gives Dumb the turbo lax.
HappyGoLucky

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 am

deev wrote:
Greg66 wrote: Tears take a long time (>weeks, more like months) to heal, and generate scar tissue which means that the ligament doesn't work as well as it did pre-tear (I think because the scar tissue is stiff vs the ligament which has some give in it, but not 100%).

Yep as far as I understand it the scar tissue makes it less elastic than it was before and not as strong and a little bit more brittle. My ligament at the side of my knee is like this, you can break the scar tissue down through deep massage (hurts like an bastard when the physio does it!) it's still never going to be quite right. but it can help a bit.

I tore both my AC joints on 4th August, they still hurt like a mofo and the swelling from the scar tissue is still visible. Probably should be doing more physio.
HappyGoLucky

Post by deev @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:21 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
deev wrote:

I tore both my AC joints on 4th August, they still hurt like a mofo and the swelling from the scar tissue is still visible. Probably should be doing more physio.

partial tears or total snappage? The good news is it'll probably snap at some point now if it hasnt already. How the heck did you tear both on the same day?!
deev
Banger King

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 am

deev wrote:partial tears or total snappage? The good news is it'll probably snap at some point now if it hasnt already.

Grade 2 so not complete detachment of collarbone which you get with AC & CC tears but just at the AC end.

Seems that Grade 2 is physio, physio, physio and Grade 3 is surgery, which would probably heal faster in the long run.

deev wrote:How the heck did you tear both on the same day?!

I think I built up to the left with a couple of me vs. tree moments on the mountain bike and then compounded it with a pretty spectacular off at speed on a downhill section.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Dr Wolff @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Span, pretty much as described by the others as far as colonoscopy is concerned. Take the drugs, though, they're good, man!

I'm just home after my prostate biopsy. Result in two weeks. Who knew that one day I'd be as old as Cloggy?
Dr Wolff

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Dr Wolff wrote:Span, pretty much as described by the others as far as colonoscopy is concerned. Take the drugs, though, they're good, man!

I'm just home after my prostate biopsy. Result in two weeks. Who knew that one day I'd be as old as Cloggy?

No one is as old as Cloggy
Doctor Congo

Post by deev @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 am

I did both my a.c. joints as well, they were grade 2 also, took ages to heal up, hurt loads but mine were a year apart, both at once must be a nightmare!
deev
Banger King

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:59 am

deev wrote:I did both my a.c. joints as well, they were grade 2 also, took ages to heal up, hurt loads but mine were a year apart, both at once must be a nightmare!

It was, still hurts like a pair of mofo's.
HappyGoLucky

Post by minimoog @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 am

Dr Wolff wrote:I'm just home after my prostate biopsy. Result in two weeks.

Yikes. Legs crossed for you Doc.
minimoog

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm

In A&E with NSLMB, she’s dislocated her kneecap !

X-ray has shown its gone back in place and there’s no bone damage, just strained ligaments.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Ouch!
Careless Whisperer

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Eeek! Hope she mends quickly Dibs!
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:05 pm

Yow!

How did she manage that? Hope she recovers quickly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:35 pm

She stood up with her knee wedged between a desk and a chair and it twisted.

We're back now, she's in a brace and on crutches. Back to fracture clinic on Tuesday to re-assess, if it's ligaments she's in a brace for 4 to 6 weeks, if it's just bruising then a week or so.

She's due to take part in a mock trial tomorrow in Birmingham, in front of a judge and everything, so she's more miffed about that. The school are making arrangements to still take her and we'll see how she is in the morning.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Hope she's okay soon.

I spent several hours yesterday in hospital with a friend who had been sent there by the local surgery with severe abdominal pain. They thought it could be pancreatitis or appendicitis or diverticulitis or any number of other itises so we sat for ages until he was seen then had an X-Ray then sat for ages until he was seen again then he was given some strong laxatives and told to eat more fibre in his diet. Five hours of my life I won't get back.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm

good luck for Dibsette
Dirk

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Mrs D has just told me that before I got there the Dr said she can't drive for 4 to 6 weeks. Her theory test is booked for 23rd and, assuming she passes it, her practical was going to be booked as soon as possible afterwards. I'm hoping the 4 to 6 weeks thing is the same as the ligament thing, in that if it's not ligaments then she'll only have a week or so off of driving.
DI Burnside

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Oh no! Hope she recovers quickly.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 pm

I dislocated my kneecap once, digging a load of holes to plant trees in, I managed to straighten my leg and it snapped back into place, just a bit of bruising and my knee felt slightly loose for a couple of days but nothing else happened, never wore a brace and I drove straight away, to go home.
Strawman

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery