Sick list

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Sick list

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Well done dibs. Looks like a great result even on your ugly mug! I remember doing adjustable sutures as a registrar. Clever stuff!

He said he doesn’t do many adjustments, only if he’s missed by a mile. As you know it’s a judgment call on how far to move the muscles and he was as happy as I was to get it spot on, the smug sod [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 pm

That's absolutely brilliant news, so happy for you Dibs!!
span

Post by Aesgarth @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:07 am

That's great news dibs! Really happy for you.

Add me to the list of people amazed by Dr C's (and others like him) work
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:19 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Good luck dibs!

Doctor Congo wrote:repairing a ruptured eyeball

Cor, is that a thing you can do? Check you out, with your mad skillz! How does it work?

Quite simply stitching the wound closed. The stitches are so small you can barely see them, about a 10th of the thickness of a hair, so is done under the microscope. Sometimes of the split propagates around the eye under the muscles, we then have to remove the muscle temporarily then stitch it back on when repaired underneath. Takes a lot of time and effort

Doesn't all the eye-jelly come out? What do you do in that circumstance?

The precision of what you describe is mind-boggling.

The vitreous and iris can pop out, if it’s already come out as a result of the injury, we have to trim away what’s devitalised and try and repair what’s left. The primary concern is closing the rupture, we can deal with everything else after. Of course, such an injury carries a very poor prognosis for sight in that patient and a high risk of retinal detachment and other issues.

Physically it’s incredibly challenging as it often takes hours operating looking in a different direction to where your hands are.

Those injuries are never nice to deal with. However some patients do astonishingly well after. They are very rare nowadays but used to be common before the seatbelt laws changed in the 80s.

Cheers, doc. Always interesting to hear about the details of your work.

Now, let me tell you about mine. There's all these spreadsheets and documents, right...
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:26 am

Aesgarth wrote:Add me to the list of people amazed by Dr C's (and others like him) work

Me too, just incredible people.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:46 pm

CJ+ wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Good luck dibs!

Doctor Congo wrote:repairing a ruptured eyeball

Cor, is that a thing you can do? Check you out, with your mad skillz! How does it work?

Quite simply stitching the wound closed. The stitches are so small you can barely see them, about a 10th of the thickness of a hair, so is done under the microscope. Sometimes of the split propagates around the eye under the muscles, we then have to remove the muscle temporarily then stitch it back on when repaired underneath. Takes a lot of time and effort

Doesn't all the eye-jelly come out? What do you do in that circumstance?

The precision of what you describe is mind-boggling.

The vitreous and iris can pop out, if it’s already come out as a result of the injury, we have to trim away what’s devitalised and try and repair what’s left. The primary concern is closing the rupture, we can deal with everything else after. Of course, such an injury carries a very poor prognosis for sight in that patient and a high risk of retinal detachment and other issues.

Physically it’s incredibly challenging as it often takes hours operating looking in a different direction to where your hands are.

Those injuries are never nice to deal with. However some patients do astonishingly well after. They are very rare nowadays but used to be common before the seatbelt laws changed in the 80s.

Cheers, doc. Always interesting to hear about the details of your work.

Now, let me tell you about mine. There's all these spreadsheets and documents, right...

Aww seriously guys you are too much!

Am just a well trained monkey.

Hilariously my nightmare is creating spreadsheets. I’m useless at them!

The discussion reminded me of the worst injury I repaired, sadly was a 10 year old lad who went to a boot fair with his mate, they found some golf clubs, his mate swung an iron v hard and accidentally hit him straight in the eye with the upswing. Eyeball was ruptured front to back. I spent about 4 hours in theatre and had to try and stitches in right round the back of the eye which is like using the force. Sadly a few weeks later we had to remove the eye, as it was too badly damaged. Not an easy conversation to have with the dad.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Tweaked my hamstring today. Hurting like a fcuker but no ball cupping required thanks
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:23 am

Ugh, retro illness. I was sick in the night last night - vomited three times in the space of an hour and a half. I think something at the pork roast I went to yesterday might have disagreed with my insides.

It's horrible being sick, isn't it? I'd forgotten how unpleasant it feels, standing over the loo waiting for it with sweat building up on your face and thick slabs of spit refusing to leave your mouth and just hanging in space.

Ew. Don't be sick, people.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:04 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Ugh, retro illness. I was sick in the night last night - vomited three times in the space of an hour and a half. I think something at the pork roast I went to yesterday might have disagreed with my insides.

It's horrible being sick, isn't it? I'd forgotten how unpleasant it feels, standing over the loo waiting for it with sweat building up on your face and thick slabs of spit refusing to leave your mouth and just hanging in space.

Ew. Don't be sick, people.

It does suck.

I’ve had what I assume is norovirus twice this year. Two to four days of vomiting and diarrhoea and that inevitable feeling that starts to rise in you every hour or two that you know is going to end up as vomiting. A few times I’ve found myself sitting on the loo while simultaneously vomiting into the bath.

It had been years since I’d vomited previously and I’d almost forgotten how horrible it is.
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:13 am

S1K wrote:I’ve had what I assume is norovirus twice this year.

I had norovirus a few years ago. If somebody had handed me a gun at the right moment, I'd have ended it there and then, without hesitation.
Careless Whisperer

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Mrs B’s turn, sat in A&E waiting for x-ray results.

She slipped on a step and landed awkwardly hurting an ankle and a knee. She’s got movement and feeling so hopefully nothing is broken.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:15 am

DI Burnside wrote:Mrs B’s turn, sat in A&E waiting for x-ray results.

She slipped on a step and landed awkwardly hurting an ankle and a knee. She’s got movement and feeling so hopefully nothing is broken.

A nasty sprain can be almost as bad. Even if it is “just” a sprain make sure she does the rehab physio on it or it can lead to a weaker and less stable joint in the long term.

I turned my right ankle so badly a few years ago off the edge of a step that almost my whole foot was one big bruise but didn’t get any medical attention and I regret that.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:52 am

Not broken, sprained ligament.

I did my ankle a few years ago and that took the best part of a year but this isn’t as bad.

Moving NSLMB into uni on Sunday is going to be fun.
DI Burnside

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:

I had norovirus a few years ago. If somebody had handed me a gun at the right moment, I'd have ended it there and then, without hesitation.

It was the norovirus that made me glad in our old house that the downstairs bog was next to the sink.

I had to sleep in the bath as I couldn't trust my own body not to disgrace itself.
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 am

Adding myself to the sick list.

I had a horrid cold when I got back from holiday in August which took a couple of weeks to clear up. Then for a week or two, things still didn't feel 'right' - I have been tired all the time, neck aching, headaches, sore throat. It felt a lot like tonsillitis so I went to the doc and it was indeed tonsillitis so I was given 10 days' worth of antibiotics and the frankly alarming instruction to get myself to A&E if I struggled for breath because my tonsils were so swollen that my throat was severely restricted. Presumably hence why I was coughing so much too.

I finished the course two days ago and still appear to have tonsillitis. FFS. Going back to the doc shortly, so fingers crossed it isn't throat AIDS.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:13 pm

I did a gym sesh yesterday morning and slightly overdid one set, which popped a muscle in my back, between the inside edge of my shoulder blade and my spine.

Christ, it's uncomfortable. Well, it's uncomfortable some of the time. Walking around is fine. Lying down and especially moving whilst lying down is very definitely not fine. It woke me up a lot last night. And tipping my head back to look at the sky, or being on my bike holding my head up initially was making me see stars and not breathe properly.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:20 pm

Who here has had their tonsils out?

Best thing I ever did, along with having my wisdom teeth out. My late teenage years and early twenties were marked by numerous bouts of tonsillitis every year but whenever I asked the doctors if I could have them removed they just said “we don’t do that any more” until I eventually put my foot down and insisted. It wasn’t a pleasant experience to have them removed with a few days in hospital and a readmission when I couldn’t even swallow water after a day or two at home. I’d been following my surgeon’s advice and eating crisps and dry Weetabix to slough the scabs off the inside of my throat but when I was readmitted and told them this he said he’d only been joking and I should have stuck to soup and ice cream. No more throat infections though and no more of taking antibiotics every couple of months.

Have ‘em out Clown, you won’t regret it.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 pm

I could probably have them out as I have private healthcare. But I’ve had two periods of several weeks off work in the last 18 months and my current position is somewhat precarious, plus Mr C is still trying to get his consultancy off the ground so I’m not sure it’s a good time to take more sick leave.

The doc confirmed that the tonsillitis is still there and took swabs with a view to prescribing a different type of antibiotic.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by S1K @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Can you pop out any massive stinky tonsil stones? Thanks the only thing I miss from having tonsils.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:26 pm

S1K wrote:Can you pop out any massive stinky tonsil stones? Thanks the only thing I miss from having tonsils.

What? I don’t even know what that means. Please don’t elaborate.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
S1K wrote:Can you pop out any massive stinky tonsil stones? Thanks the only thing I miss from having tonsils.

What? I don’t even know what that means. Please don’t elaborate.

Haha!

I've seen what he's talking about on YouTube and it looks gross but probably loads of fun if it's your own.
span

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:09 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:

It was the norovirus that made me glad in our old house that the downstairs bog was next to the sink.

I had to sleep in the bath as I couldn't trust my own body not to disgrace itself.

I think I had sleep in half hour bursts between 'movements'.
Careless Whisperer

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Went to see our friend again tonight, took some meals up for them so they don’t have to think about cooking for a few nights. She’s looking really well, her red blood cells and platelets are right up, from being hours away from it being irreversible to within normal range ! Bone marrow tests on Monday and if that looks ok then it’s 1 more round of chemo and then just monitoring. Nobody is counting chickens but it’s looking a whole lot better for them.

Unfortunately we lost a mutual friend last week, someone who had battled breast cancer for years. Went into A&E with a bad chest infection, within hours it turned into pneumonia and she passed away. We weren’t particularly close but had been friends for over 15 years, our kids all went through school together.
DI Burnside

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 am

Glad to hear that and sorry to hear that, Dibs.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Been too scared/superstitious to post on here but wife got told her lump wasn’t breast CA today. fcuking hell, getting older can be just shit.

Genuine sympathies for everyone and their loved ones on this thread.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Bloody hell, Tokes. That must have been a scare for her. Glad she’s ok.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Good result! Reassuring to hear some uncancer news every so often.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Yay so glad Mrs Sexwhale isn't a new entry on this thread.
Strawman

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank you!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Brilliant news Tokes
DI Burnside

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery