Sick list

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Sick list

Post by S1K @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes, the last thing any of us wants to hear about is more cancer. It must have been a nerve wracking wait but glad you can relax a bit now.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Something something troublesome lump something husband
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Something in my trousers something marriage.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Good news! Very relieved for you both!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by span @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Oh Tokes what a relief. My phone tried to autocorrect that to "Yikes what a relief", so that too.

That must have been an awful wait, and yes sympathies to everyone affected by the very bad things 'going around'. It absolutely stinks.
span

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:24 pm

:)
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:10 am

Good to hear Tokes. Horrible waiting to find out stuff like that.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 am

A bit of good news is welcome indeed on this kind of thread.

:thumbup:
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Glad to hear good news about Mrs Sexwhale. We still ought to do some cupping though, just as a precaution you understand...
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Good news Tokes!
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Glad to hear good news about Mrs Sexwhale. We still ought to do some cupping though, just as a precaution you understand...

Well no need really as she’s going to be ok but why not.

>places bollocks in CW’s hand<

Do your stuff.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Monty @ Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Glad all is well
Monty

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:47 am

sigh!

It's so boring waiting to get better!

It's two weeks now since The Off, and back here at home I'm slowly going bananas. Healing up, yes, but it's taking for ever. They initially said it could take up to twelve weeks and I couldn't believe it. I'm still not sure that I do, because the progress that's happened in this last fortnight has been really encouraging. I had an interesting phone call with a doctor in the fracture clinic last week, who called up my xrays and pointed out something that nobody had told me previously, that the collar bone wasn't just broken in the impact, but had actually been smashed to bits.

That explains why I was so able to feel the bone shards shuffling about under the skin early on. No more though, as it's all knitted together into one big ugly sharp-cornered lump of collar bone. There's still a long way to go, but I'm getting some movement back in the arm and I'm taking only minimal pain relief.

Being broken is so annoying!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:55 am

12 weeks seems extreme! Can you do much at the moment?

are you doing anything constructive with your time Damo? It’s impossible if you’re in pain but IMO once the pain has gone it’s a nice chance to do some learning or similar.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:02 am

I can't do all that much yet, but anything at all feels like a huge victory. I'm just now able to rest the arm on the table so I can type at the laptop. I couldn't do that even a couple of days ago. I showered myself last night, without any grudging input from Mrs Thorn*, but it's still a bit of a struggle to get moving in the morning once everything has settled into place overnight. I haven't done anything useful at all with the time yet, but I don't know how soon I'll be able to get back to work. I'm dying to get back to work! I feel a bit like everything is on hold at the moment.

As soon as I can manage driving, then I'll try to get back to some light duties at work. The follow up appointment at the fracture clinic is next week, and I'm really hoping they'll give me the ok to do more things. Or at least a prognosis for when I can.

*last night was the first time I'd been able to look at the wound from where they inserted the chest drain while I was in Resus at A&E. Ew. It looks like I've been stabbed.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am

Don’t get addicted to the painkillers then end up on heroin Damo.
S1K

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:46 am

S1K wrote:Don’t get addicted to the painkillers then end up on heroin Damo.

At least, not before recording the seminal first album and its disappointing follow-up.
CJ+

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I can't do all that much yet, but anything at all feels like a huge victory. I'm just now able to rest the arm on the table so I can type at the laptop. I couldn't do that even a couple of days ago. I showered myself last night, without any grudging input from Mrs Thorn*, but it's still a bit of a struggle to get moving in the morning once everything has settled into place overnight. I haven't done anything useful at all with the time yet, but I don't know how soon I'll be able to get back to work. I'm dying to get back to work! I feel a bit like everything is on hold at the moment.

As soon as I can manage driving, then I'll try to get back to some light duties at work. The follow up appointment at the fracture clinic is next week, and I'm really hoping they'll give me the ok to do more things. Or at least a prognosis for when I can.

*last night was the first time I'd been able to look at the wound from where they inserted the chest drain while I was in Resus at A&E. Ew. It looks like I've been stabbed.

Mong.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:01 am

Indeed.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:30 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Indeed.

Just be thankful you didn't have an off like my friend. He broke a right collar bone and a left wrist/thumb.
Both arms were strapped up so his mum had to shave him every morning. And wipe his bum.
"MUUUUMM.... I'VE FINISHED!!!!!"
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:34 am

True. I'm lucky everything is on my left side. Except I'm left handed.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

Damien Thorn wrote:True. I'm lucky everything is on my left side. Except I'm left handed.

So you get your mum to...oh dear... oh no...
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 am

Good to hear it’s recovering but sad to hear it’s slow.

Has the topic of a replacement bike come up yet or daren’t you even mention it?

Also any criminal proceedings against the car? Or just oneofthosethings?
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 am

A new bike would be months down the line I think. To get the insurance sorted, and me fully healed, and then through winter before I tried riding again. I intend to, and I've been looking at bikes (of course!). Family don't like the idea, but hopefully they'll calm down a bit once the time has passed.

In terms of criminal proceedings, I had a long phone conversation with the police officer who attended the scene and whose "case" it is. He said their approach would be guided by me, and if I wanted the driver "hung, drawn and quartered" they'd pursue a prosecution vigorously on my behalf.

But I said I wasn't looking for that. Even though I think it happened because the driver simply didn't look before making a sudden manoeuvre, it's not like they were on their phone or something.

I don't have any ill will towards the driver at all, and I wouldn't gain anything if they were punished.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Even though I think it happened because the driver simply didn't look before making a sudden manoeuvre, it's not like they were on their phone or something.

I don't have any ill will towards the driver at all, and I wouldn't gain anything if they were punished.

No, but society at large might. If they're not punished, then they can say to themselves - with some justification - "my driving was just fine, and it's your fault Damo, and there's no need to look, because if there was, I'd have been punished, right?"

It would formalise the message that they did a properly shit bit of driving, and maybe don't do that in future, yeah?
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:33 pm

I had an appointment at the Fracture Clinic today. I had a little trepidation that in spite of how I thought things are going, they might take an x-ray and say "oh dear, no, this is ALL wrong. We'll have to re break it and put some metalwork in there. That'll be another 12 weeks of enspazzedness Mr Thorn".

But they didn't. The radiologists thought it looked frankly pretty skill, and the consultant reckoned I was two steps behind Wolverine, with the speed I'd managed to heal up actual bone.

I should be ok to drive in a week*, and then I can get back to work on some light duties. Thank heavens.

*It's guided by me from here on, apparently. I am encouraged to increase arm movement to whatever remains comfortable - although I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than a cup of tea until six weeks.

The consultant seemed quite thrilled that I'd stopped taking any pain meds a week ago, and that wherever she prodded among the ruined shards of shoulder nothing was actually hurting me. Until she managed to poke right on the sticking out sharp end of one of the bits. That made me ooof.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Impressive healing skills Dath. I’m amazed at your age/face quite frankly.

ETA that could read that I’m amazed at your age or your face and that is NOT the case. I’m simply amazed at your healing progress given your age and with that >points at face<
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Well done Damo. Little bones like your probably heal easily though.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Impressive healing skills Dath. I’m amazed at your age/face quite frankly.

ETA that could read that I’m amazed at your age or your face and that is NOT the case. I’m simply amazed at your healing progress given your age and with that >points at face<
I only ever read that the right way.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery