Knee cnut

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Knee cnut

Post by foo @ Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Bloody hell, only just looked at this thread, hope it all heals soon.
foo

Post by moleamol @ Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 pm

TKF wrote:I remember bending my knee after my op. It squelched like standing on a ripe satsuma.

I remember bending my knee after 8 weeks in plaster, it hurt like giving birth to 10 massive babies. They even gave me a cardboard thing to sick up in. I didn't of course, and told them to stop being so dramatic.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by deev @ Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:15 pm

foo wrote:Bloody hell, only just looked at this thread, hope it all heals soon.

deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by span @ Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:20 pm

TKF wrote:I remember bending my knee after my op. It squelched like standing on a ripe satsuma.

Shut your face Teeks that is revolting. I really frowned reading that.
moleamol wrote:They even gave me a cardboard thing to sick up in. I didn't of course, and told them to stop being so dramatic.

:laugh:

Really hope your recovery goes well, Deev! That knee looks quite unpleasant, but I'm pleased to hear things are going well so far.

Sorry to be late to this party but what is this operation that you've all had? I visited a friend a couple of weeks ago who'd recently had an op on his knee and his scars looked like yours will do once you've had the metal removed, Deev.
span

Post by deev @ Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 pm

moleamol wrote:

I remember bending my knee after 8 weeks in plaster, it hurt like giving birth to 10 massive babies. They even gave me a cardboard thing to sick up in. I didn't of course, and told them to stop being so dramatic.

Mine didnt squelch at all, was yours the same thing as mine TKF?

They made me walk the length of the corridor and up and down a wee flight of stairs before theyd let me out, I was wanting home asap and the physios were already there for someone else and would then be going away and coming back an hour or so later for people in my "batch" so I made out I was totally fine and ready to give it all a go. Somehow I satisfied them I was okay enough to go and they let me out, I dont remember much of the trip home as before all that and just after the op where theyd filled me full of oxycontin some nice person filled my IV with tramadol too.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:28 pm

Ive had my right knee anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed using a bit of my patella tendon.
Basically this thing
got snapped so they replaced it with this
they they drill a hole in my thigh and femur and screw the graft into each end and stich the remaining 2 sides of my patella tendon back together. The harvesting of that bit is why theres a big long scar, the rest is done via arthroscope so thats what the wee scars are for.

They were going to use a bit of my hamstring and double it over to be the new ligament but apparently mine wasn't long enough and that patella tendon has bone plugs that secure it and grow into place a bit quicker than the thigh tendon would secure itself to the bone, which should, be a bit better if I ever go back to Judo. Which I will. I just have to persaude the wife that this is a good idea...
deev
Banger King

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:15 pm

span wrote:

Shut your face Teeks that is revolting. I really frowned reading that.

Then you're going to love this, an internal video of my operation.

http://youtu.be/fVVQSAEBbBg

Check out that vicious metal grinding thing 30s in. And then 50s you can see just how bad it is. Meniscus tears are graded 1-4 and that bad boy is a 4 i.e. worst case scenario and never growing back.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by deev @ Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Grim. Thats what my left knee was, cartilage wise, "we thought we'd be able to trim it with an arthroscopy but, well, basically we used a big spoon and just scooped it all out" so you've got a fairly big scar there. My right knee had a bunch of cartilage whipped out when i was getting my acl too, not as bad as that though, no idea how mind you.
deev
Banger King

Post by span @ Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Oh crikey, Teeks and Deev. Deev's description and Teek's vid are quite squeam inducing.
span

Post by deev @ Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 am

One week on from the op and it's starting to look knee shaped again, the swelling below is gone but my quads still resemble a balloon. The staples are now itchy as hell and getting fairly tight, they come out on the 10th so by then I think I'll be very ready to have them out. That said I assume getting them removed is going to be somewhat unpleasant so have kept back a few codine tablets for the day :D
deev
Banger King

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:13 pm

I've had staples in the past, you'll be pleased to know it doesn't hurt at all having them taken out. They use a little removing thingy that presses the staple down in the middle and pulls out at each end, so it sort of bends them out. I just felt relief at the pressure on the wound being released.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by deev @ Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I've had staples in the past, you'll be pleased to know it doesn't hurt at all having them taken out. They use a little removing thingy that presses the staple down in the middle and pulls out at each end, so it sort of bends them out. I just felt relief at the pressure on the wound being released.

excellent, theyre coming out tomorrow which Im looking forward to as they're getting itchy and the wound is healed up now anyway.

I had my 3rd hydro therapy session today, I can straighten to 181 degrees which is only 1 degree of my good knee and can bend it to 105 degrees, thats been a week and 3 days since the op. They hope for a 90 degree bend and 180 degree straighten at the end of week 2 so I'm ahead. They had me running round the pool today, absolutely amazing stuff, the hydro really is fantastic, The week after the op it felt like it'd be a long time before I got back to doing anything sporty but the progress over the last few days has been great!
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:30 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I've had staples in the past, you'll be pleased to know it doesn't hurt at all having them taken out

Lies! That was like getting 20 odd little injections, bloody sore it was!

Still, it feels great now theyre out, kind of bloody but not too bad, gym work starts next week.
deev
Banger King

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:33 pm

You big girl
DI Burnside

Post by deev @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:26 pm

I think thats exactly what the nurse was thinking!
deev
Banger King

Post by Turntable @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:25 pm

moleamol wrote:They even gave me a cardboard thing to sick up in. I didn't of course, and told them to stop being so dramatic.

When I woke up after my operation they offered me one. I didn't feel sick at all so I dismissed them immediately.
Anyway my I was utterly ravenous after not eating for 24 hours so I tucked into my curry and a bottle of coke. It was delicious.
Anyway the minute I had polished off exery last bit of it I felt instantly sick and ended up being sick in a piss bottle but there was so much it flowed over the top of it. A mix of coke and curry dripping out of the top of a piss bottle is quite vile.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm

deev wrote:[

I had my 3rd hydro therapy session today, I can straighten to 181 degrees which is only 1 degree of my good knee and can bend it to 105 degrees, thats been a week and 3 days since the op. They hope for a 90 degree bend and 180 degree straighten at the end of week 2 so I'm ahead. They had me running round the pool today, absolutely amazing stuff, the hydro really is fantastic, The week after the op it felt like it'd be a long time before I got back to doing anything sporty but the progress over the last few days has been great!

That's good news. Im amazed at the speed of that recovery. Is that down to you being fit/healthy despite ugly?
Turntable

Post by deev @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:03 pm

I think so but everyone that's youngish else seems to be making similar progress thus far, that said I was still walking miles every day at work and doing sport right up till the op and it's only been a week and a bit since I had it so my quads haven't wasted away too much which I'm told helps. They have you run in a circle in a small pool, get a whirlpool going then have you turn and run against the water, balancing on you bad leg with your good leg on a float bent up so you have to work the knee to keep yourself standing.

I'm going to give the credit to the surgeon (he does the footballers up here and is really really good) and the physio team have been great, I've one hydro session left tomorrow then it's onto the gym but I'll be going to my local pool and doing the exercises anyway for a while as it seems to work amazingly well and gets everything loosened up and moving really well. Speaking of ugly, it currently looks like this, I'm not allowed to wash it until tomorrow. I get 5 months of follow up physio apparently and wont be discharged until I can do shuttle runs, weave in and out of cones and hop down from a lowish height.
deev
Banger King

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Call that a wound ? PFFT !
DI Burnside

Post by deev @ Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm quite pleased it looks rather smaller now the staples are out, my ankle is killing me though, my entire foot and ankle are purple and the ligaments are all wonky from not being used much for a week. I've to stretch it and waggle it about and It'll go away in a few days apparently.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Just had my last pool session, I was hopping today! Dry land physio starts Monday, looking forward to it!
deev
Banger King

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Fascinating.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by deev @ Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Last edited by deev on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:55 pm

A bit rubber band from the physio, I lie on my back and put it under my foot, pull either end and bend my knee as far as I can then push it back straight again, like a leg press without any actual weights. It turns out my quads on my right leg have vanished and it's really really hard! Feels good to be working it properly though.
deev
Banger King

Previous

Return to The Doctor's Surgery