Is there a doctor in the house?

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I can't remember who's who on here, but i'm sure there is a Doctor of something....

My son is 9 years old and on and off since April 2014, he's had these 'tags' appear under his armpit. We went to the Doctor when they first appeared, told they were harmless and not to worry, they go.

A month or so later they started flaring up quite nastily, red and 'angry' and sore to touch, look like they've got a head on and need to be popped or something, but obviously we didn't touch them.

Doctors prescribed Fucidin first, but they simply keep coming back. He swims a lot and is very conscious of them and here we are again January with them still becoming very sore and red, we're now on Hydrocortisone cream, I suspect the Doctor is fed up, but so are we because there simply must be something causing it, yet we're constantly told they'll go.

Just after a bit of an opinion.

He's got about 4 at the moment, 3 are small skin tags, one is the size of a large pea, red and infected.

There's generally an infected one at all times.

Help/thoughts appreciated!
x
dirtyboy

Re: Is there a doctor in the house?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi, I'm only an eye doctor but it sounds a bit like hidradenitis suppuritiva but not sure about how it presents in kids. I think Dr Wolff is s proper doctor, so let's see what he says. If it is that, it's treatable but needs proper diagnosis.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dr Wolff @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Molluscum contagiosum. You'll find all you need to know on www.patient.co.uk
No treatment required. Took about 2 years for it to disappear on my kids, but usually about 6 to 12 months should do it.
Dr Wolff

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Both of ours have been through it. It wrought havoc combined with my son's eczema, but cleared up now. My daughter had it badly too, with the 'spots' having heads on and bleeding if scratched - but again gone completely now with no sign they were ever there.

Neither of them had any treatment once the GP had confirmed molluscum, and we just had to be patient. Ha ha.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks, bizarrely, he just came downstairs and one had 'popped' and this is the first time it has happened. LOADS of white pussy liquid.

Wife seemed to love it (the whole spot thing) but we've now gently squeezed it clear and cleaned it up and put some more cream on.

Thanks for the replies, it's really horrible though.
dirtyboy

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:06 pm

Just like these..

http://pixshark.com/molluscum-contagiosum-kids.htm

The ones near the bottom with yellowy heads on. Reassuring to know we're not being fobbed off, but the immune deficiency thing makes me curious.
Last edited by dirtyboy on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dirtyboy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:40 pm

See? When a proper doc appears, mystery solved!
Doctor Congo

Post by dave_s13 @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Still better to get the opinion of a real actual human doc though. I'd go back to your GP and state quite categorically that you have self diagnosed via a rather niche internet forum. If he/she agrees, all's good in your hood. If unsure, ask to see a dermatologist.

Dermatology is a funny old game, the diagnosis is literally a latinesque description of the lesion as it presents. It's a bit like medical catchphrase with Dr Chips.

The treatment is usually "cream".
Last edited by dave_s13 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave_s13

Post by Dr Wolff @ Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm

968 wrote:See? When a proper doc appears, mystery solved!

:wavey:
Dr Wolff

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am

dave_s13 wrote:Still better to get the opinion of a real actual human doc though. I'd go back to your GP and state quite categorically that you have self diagnosed via a rather niche internet forum. If he/she agrees, all's good in your hood. If unsure, ask to see a dermatologist.

Dermatology is a funny old game, the diagnosis is literally a latinesque description of the lesion as it presents. It's a bit like medical catchphrase with Dr Chips.

We've done the whole "stupid parents" thing. We're not keen on willy nilly visits to the Doctor, but he's probably been 4 times since April and seen 4 different Doctors. Only one prescribed cream for infected ones, others said they'd just go.

We'll see.
dirtyboy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 am

dave_s13 wrote:Dermatology is a funny old game, the diagnosis is literally a latinesque description of the lesion as it presents. It's a bit like medical catchphrase with Dr Chips.

I suppose it will depend on the dermatologists you see, and the symptom. The paediatric dermatologist at GOSH recommended bathing in bleach for my son and it's worked wonders on his eczema. He was a bit nervous about it at first though, until I had a long persuasive talk with him before he got into his bath - while the whole time I had my finger in a cup of bleach to show him it was ok. Anyway.

It's not always just cream.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 am

Wow - as a dermo-layman, I'd have thought bleach would have been the worse thing.

How is his eczema now 'tho?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:18 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Wow - as a dermo-layman, I'd have thought bleach would have been the worse thing.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I was taken aback initially too. It's not a bath of neat bleach either (we'd be in the poorhouse by now with two baths of that every day!) - it's a cupful in a normal shallow bath of warm water. But it kills bacteria on the skin which otherwise infest and infect the afflicted areas. He suffered a lot with persistent and repeat skin infections and would hop from one antibiotic to another: since starting the bleach he's had literally none. It's made a massive difference and we're amazed and delighted.

The remaining problem seems to be with areas on his face that are aggravated by the cold weather / central heating combo which dry it out and make him scratch. The skin on his body is brilliant - after such a long time of it being dry, scaly, flaking, bleeding, scratched to pieces, infected, etc - I love to help dry him off after a bath just to be able to see and feel the lovely smooth skin on his chest and back. It's weird to describe because if you've only known 'normal' skin, it's tricky to appreciate how amazing it is. He even insisted my wife put a picture of him on Facebook and dictated the caption to her "This is my son. He had eczema but now it's gone away!"

Good times, though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am

Ah, that sounds superb. Very happy for him/all of you. The bleach thing is brilliant too - it's a shame that simple remedies like this aren't the first port of call and that stuff like ABs are so readily used instead.

What's the plan for his face now, just lots of moisturisers or steroids?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:29 am

Hmph.
Last edited by Disastrous on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 am

What's his skin problem?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Ah, that sounds superb. Very happy for him/all of you. The bleach thing is brilliant too - it's a shame that simple remedies like this aren't the first port of call and that stuff like ABs are so readily used instead.

What's the plan for his face now, just lots of moisturisers or steroids?

We're trying to avoid steroids almost completely apart from in localised, persistently-bad areas (eggs, under his nose the skin splits and bleeds when the cold weather makes it run and he rubs / wipes it all the time) - so we cover his face with Epaderm emollient so much that when he's at home he looks like he's in whiteface.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:What's his skin problem?

Laugh at wrong threadism.

What's YOUR fcuking (skin) problem!?

Glad to hear bleach is sorting out little datho. Must sound mental to say you're heading home to bleach your son!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:39 am

Disastrous wrote:Must sound mental to say you're heading home to bleach your son!

We literally put Domestos in his bath. It must seem ridic.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 am

Damien Thorn wrote:He even insisted my wife put a picture of him on Facebook and dictated the caption to her "This is my son. He had eczema but now it's gone away!"

That's great news, DaTho! And most pleasing that the remedy is so weird sounding and simple and works.
span

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Probably because of some bastard child pissing/shitting/otherwise evacuating into the pool, I've got a raging EN&T infection, symptoms started with mild head cold type shit on Saturday, progressed to tsunami levels of mucal discharge on sunday and from Sunday night on an unbearable pain in my ears, lack of balance etc. I remembered that last time I was here I had a really bad ear infection that fcuked up a couple of dive trips so I made an appointment & went to the doc's today.

After sticking his bits in my ear he announced that I have a lot of inflammation due to the infection and then went on to say that's it's most likely because I'm caucasian and as a result our ear canals are different from our asian cousins and ... not adapted to humid environments. WTF? I refuse to accept that chinese people have superior ears to mine. Morever, it's a middle ear infection so it's as unlikely some bastard childs piss caused it as did the shape of my lovely canals. Cheeky lacist Dr Koh!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Wow - as a dermo-layman, I'd have thought bleach would have been the worse thing.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I was taken aback initially too. It's not a bath of neat bleach either (we'd be in the poorhouse by now with two baths of that every day!) - it's a cupful in a normal shallow bath of warm water. But it kills bacteria on the skin which otherwise infest and infect the afflicted areas. He suffered a lot with persistent and repeat skin infections and would hop from one antibiotic to another: since starting the bleach he's had literally none. It's made a massive difference and we're amazed and delighted.

The remaining problem seems to be with areas on his face that are aggravated by the cold weather / central heating combo which dry it out and make him scratch. The skin on his body is brilliant - after such a long time of it being dry, scaly, flaking, bleeding, scratched to pieces, infected, etc - I love to help dry him off after a bath just to be able to see and feel the lovely smooth skin on his chest and back. It's weird to describe because if you've only known 'normal' skin, it's tricky to appreciate how amazing it is. He even insisted my wife put a picture of him on Facebook and dictated the caption to her "This is my son. He had eczema but now it's gone away!"

Good times, though.

I missed this. WHat brilliant news and what an extraordinary cure. Bleaching your own children. You must have been hugely sceptical the first time
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:37 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote: I refuse to accept that chinese people have superior ears to mine. Morever, it's a middle ear infection so it's as unlikely some bastard childs piss caused it as did the shape of my lovely canals. Cheeky lacist Dr Koh!

I thought you had actual superhero powers, fetid swimming pools must be your cryptonite then. Or a long haul flight caused it?
Strawman

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 pm

Strawman wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote: I refuse to accept that chinese people have superior ears to mine. Morever, it's a middle ear infection so it's as unlikely some bastard childs piss caused it as did the shape of my lovely canals. Cheeky lacist Dr Koh!

I thought you had actual superhero powers, fetid swimming pools must be your cryptonite then. Or a long haul flight caused it?

Apart from my achilles discs I'm virtually unkillable and never get ill. A wet month out here and I'm hobbled buy a middle ear infection which is not only embarrassing for all concerned but 'parently rules out d pool. As I flew in almost a month ago, I don't think it;s that. Was talking to a colleague about a dive trip to Sebu which is probably what jinxed me.
HappyGoLucky

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu May 28, 2015 4:45 am

One for 968.

Had to go for my tri-annial glaucoma checks yesterday and as part of it they gave those drops that make you look like you've done half a key of peru's finest. This was a bad thing because like an idiot I had driven myself to the hospital thinking I'd be in & out in an hour and could go straight back to work. Cue lots of phone calls arranging to add someone to my insurance and getting them to come and collect me and my car once all the tests were done.

Doctor said drops would wear off in a couple of hours, yet here I am a full 24 hours later with mildly dilated pupils and a crashing headache. I rang the hospital and they said to go back in this afternoon if it still hasn't worn off. WTF? I'm sure it's never taken this long before.

Still, the upside is that all the girls in the office approve of my Wayfarered look.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Pigeon @ Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 am

Belladonna. Or bellouomo, perhaps.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu May 28, 2015 5:34 am

Pigeon wrote:Belladonna. Or bellouomo, perhaps.

I don't need to dilate them further and I certainly don't need anymore shirts
It's undilation I'm needing.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Pigeon @ Thu May 28, 2015 5:53 am

I was commenting on what they gave you and the reaction of the office lasses... ;)
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 am

Oh!

Update. All the tags have, as predicted, gone...one left a small scar, but they've all cleared up.

so thanks x
dirtyboy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu May 28, 2015 6:41 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:One for 968.

Had to go for my tri-annial glaucoma checks yesterday and as part of it they gave those drops that make you look like you've done half a key of peru's finest. This was a bad thing because like an idiot I had driven myself to the hospital thinking I'd be in & out in an hour and could go straight back to work. Cue lots of phone calls arranging to add someone to my insurance and getting them to come and collect me and my car once all the tests were done.

Doctor said drops would wear off in a couple of hours, yet here I am a full 24 hours later with mildly dilated pupils and a crashing headache. I rang the hospital and they said to go back in this afternoon if it still hasn't worn off. WTF? I'm sure it's never taken this long before.

Still, the upside is that all the girls in the office approve of my Wayfarered look.

If they gave you cyclopentolate instead that lasts 12-24 hours! You could use pilocarpine to construct your pupils but I wouldn't recommend it as you can get rebound acute angle closure, which is bad news.
Doctor Congo

Next

Return to The Doctor's Surgery