Is there a doctor in the house?

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Is there a doctor in the house?

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:46 am

One for Doc C which woulda been aPM but it seems they don't allow pdf or jpeg attachments, possibly to curb Rod and his dickpic fetish? :shrug:

Anyhow, MrsH is having issues with her vision so went for a check-up Friday and got the following as a result. The optometrist put the shits up her about damage to optical nerve and glaucoma and she's only just told me and is in bits thinking she's going to go blind.

I know glaucoma can be managed and cataracts can be dealt with, but the other bits I don't know.

Don't suppose you'd know anyone out this way to recommend?

Failing that, I'll be making an appointment at the national eye centre tomorrow.

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:29 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:One for Doc C which woulda been aPM but it seems they don't allow pdf or jpeg attachments, possibly to curb Rod and his dickpic fetish? :shrug:

Anyhow, MrsH is having issues with her vision so went for a check-up Friday and got the following as a result. The optometrist put the shits up her about damage to optical nerve and glaucoma and she's only just told me and is in bits thinking she's going to go blind.

I know glaucoma can be managed and cataracts can be dealt with, but the other bits I don't know.

Don't suppose you'd know anyone out this way to recommend?

Failing that, I'll be making an appointment at the national eye centre tomorrow.

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers!

Hi

An optometrist isn’t in a good position to make any diagnosis and shouldn’t be unless they understand the natural history and prognosis.

Glaucoma is a condition that can cause blindness, however, it usually takes decades to manifest in most types of glaucoma. It’s a disease where the optic nerve is damaged progressively, usually due to raised pressure in the eye but not always. In most cases it can be treated with drops, to lower the pressure in the eye but this halts progression of disease rather than cures.

If you’re in Singapore, there’s a guy I know well called Shamira Perera, who is top notch that I’ve known since Med School,

https://www.snec.com.sg/patient-care/fi ... ira-perera

Brilliant guy, super clever and an excellent surgeon. Go see him if you’re near Singapore.
Doctor Congo

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Hi

An optometrist isn’t in a good position to make any diagnosis and shouldn’t be unless they understand the natural history and prognosis.

Glaucoma is a condition that can cause blindness, however, it usually takes decades to manifest in most types of glaucoma. It’s a disease where the optic nerve is damaged progressively, usually due to raised pressure in the eye but not always. In most cases it can be treated with drops, to lower the pressure in the eye but this halts progression of disease rather than cures.

If you’re in Singapore, there’s a guy I know well called Shamira Perera, who is top notch that I’ve known since Med School,

Brilliant guy, super clever and an excellent surgeon. Go see him if you’re near Singapore.

Cheers Doc, precisely what I needed! :thumbup:
HappyGoLucky

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:40 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:

Are you in Singapore?
Doctor Congo

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Cannabis lowers intraocular pressure, and it's more fun getting really stoned than it is putting gunk in your eyes...
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

Are you in Singapore?

Yes, so will be making an apointment 1st thing.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:02 pm

Pigeon wrote:Cannabis lowers intraocular pressure, and it's more fun getting really stoned than it is putting gunk in your eyes...

Lol true but not sure it’s legal in Singapore.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:04 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

Are you in Singapore?

Yes, so will be making an apointment 1st thing.

Brill. He will arrange some tests after examining her, including a visual field test, optic disc scan, corneal thickness measurement and careful examination of the front of the eye. Depending on results he may start treatment or may just monitor in the first instance.
Doctor Congo

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 am

Where else can you get a personal recommendation halfway around the world? Brilliant!
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:26 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:Where else can you get a personal recommendation halfway around the world? Brilliant!

Indeed, managed to get an appointment this week too!

It's like CTF having it's very own concierge service!

Now, who on the team do I talk to for travel tips on a 2 week itinerary in Sri Lanka in mid Jan?

Landing Colombu, 1st night Negombo then off to Lion Rock, Adams Peak, Lands End Kandy (must be train between these points, 1st class natch) Ella, Yala National park (need guaranteed Leopord sighting) and then some beach, some diving some whale dolphin and turtle watching and some more beach before a night or 2 in Colombo before flying back to SG. Go.
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Post by span @ Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 am

AH, nice one Dr C! And HGL, I do hope it goes well for your wife and is nothing serious.
span

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:27 am

span wrote:AH, nice one Dr C! And HGL, I do hope it goes well for your wife and is nothing serious.

Cheers spanners, 6hrs to go.

Didn't help that when she chased for the initial report to give to the proper eye Dr, MrsH asked the optometrist how bad it was on a scale of 1-10 & the bloody woman said it was 8/10 serious so she's now seriously worried.

On reflection, it's probably a good job I fcuked up the dates of my company Christmas dinner meaning we had to cancel the BBQ we were planning for 30 people tonight!

Poor old MrsH is in no state to be sticking lumps of cheddar onto skewers with bits of pineapple!
HappyGoLucky

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:11 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
span wrote:AH, nice one Dr C! And HGL, I do hope it goes well for your wife and is nothing serious.

Cheers spanners, 6hrs to go.

Didn't help that when she chased for the initial report to give to the proper eye Dr, MrsH asked the optometrist how bad it was on a scale of 1-10 & the bloody woman said it was 8/10 serious so she's now seriously worried.

On reflection, it's probably a good job I fcuked up the dates of my company Christmas dinner meaning we had to cancel the BBQ we were planning for 30 people tonight!

Poor old MrsH is in no state to be sticking lumps of cheddar onto skewers with bits of pineapple!

Let me know what happens. Optoms can panic about relatively innocuous things as they lack the knowledge and experience to deal with these problems. Tell her not to panic, it doesn’t help anyone.
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:59 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:Poor old MrsH is in no state to be sticking lumps of cheddar onto skewers with bits of pineapple!

Haha! But also, yes it really seems a bit shit to tell someone that, poor Mrs HGL.

Keep us posted.
span

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:36 am

span wrote:
Keep us posted.

Seems it was kinda serious...

MrsH booked in for lens replacement on both eyes 1st Feb. :yikes:

Doc C. Thanks for the recommendation. He was super calm and patient and took care to ensure we understood the options etc.

Scary as fcuk, but it feels like we're in safe hands

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
HappyGoLucky

Post by S1K @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:52 am

Lens replacement does sound pretty serious. Do they use artificial lenses or are they from cadavers?

If cadaver she may be able to see events from their former owners lives in black and white flashbacks. I think I saw a film where that happened anyway.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:
span wrote:
Keep us posted.

Doc C. Thanks for the recommendation. He was super calm and patient and took care to ensure we understood the options etc.

I’m sure Dr C will confirm/deny but i think this amazing sort of surgery is

very common nowadays for cataracts.
My aunt had a new pair of lens installed years back and suddenly didn’t need glasses, amazing!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Now, who on the team do I talk to for travel tips on a 2 week itinerary in Sri Lanka in mid Jan?

Landing Colombu, 1st night Negombo then off to Lion Rock, Adams Peak, Lands End Kandy (must be train between these points, 1st class natch) Ella, Yala National park (need guaranteed Leopord sighting) and then some beach, some diving some whale dolphin and turtle watching and some more beach before a night or 2 in Colombo before flying back to SG. Go.

Not sure if you're still going with the impending op and all, but strangely enough we land on the 22nd probably down to the south-west for some waves (Marrissa or Weligama) but I also wanted to go to Kandy and some of the spots on the East Coast that were inaccessible when we were going before the end of the war, were booked for 3 weeks at the moment, no itinerary.
desertweasel

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Good that Mrs HGL found out what was up and it can be fixed. Hope it goes well for her.

Mil had cataract surgery some time ago and it went perfectly. She still has eyes and everything.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:
span wrote:
Keep us posted.

Hi

Good to hear it’s sorted. Lens replacement surgery is exactly the same as cataract surgery, but before the lens becomes a cataract. It’s usually pretty straightforward. I’m guessing if their doing that, she has narrow angles and is at risk of acute angle closure. Lens replacement surgery is the treatment of choice now for this. I did two today as a matter of fact. A byproduct is her refractive error will be corrected post op.

Did you say hi to Shamira from me?
Doctor Congo

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 pm

It sounds like you all have feline aids. Euthanasia is the solution.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Freddie @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Everytime I change my mind and display a DDD post I realise that even by my high cnut standard I am a mere beginner.
Back to being foed along with the other two unspeakables.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Freddie wrote:Everytime I change my mind and display a DDD post I realise that even by my high cnut standard I am a mere beginner.

I have foed him, first person I’ve blocked. His content isn’t offensive per se just entirely irrelevant and pathetic. I just can’t be bothered to read any of it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Doctor Shipman wrote:
Paul Gadd wrote:Everytime I change my mind and display a DDD post I realise that even by my high cnut standard I am a mere beginner.

I have foed him, first person I’ve blocked. His content isn’t offensive per se just entirely irrelevant and pathetic. I just can’t be bothered to read any of it.

Like I care.
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Paul Gadd wrote:Everytime I change my mind and display a DDD post I realise that even by my high cnut standard I am a mere beginner.

Meh.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:58 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Hi

Good to hear it’s sorted. Lens replacement surgery is exactly the same as cataract surgery, but before the lens becomes a cataract. It’s usually pretty straightforward. I’m guessing if their doing that, she has narrow angles and is at risk of acute angle closure. Lens replacement surgery is the treatment of choice now for this. I did two today as a matter of fact. A byproduct is her refractive error will be corrected post op.

Spot on the with narrow angles Doc. Pressures were at 17 & 21 and she's been having monocular double vision so he said that directed him to a single vision lens over a multi one as he was concerned about flares and night vision issues. Knew all the answers before we asked the questions.

Doctor Congo wrote:Did you say hi to Shamira from me?

Yup, and I told him you said it was ok for him to do it at mates rates too which was nice of you!
HappyGoLucky

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:13 am

desertweasel wrote:

Not sure if you're still going with the impending op and all, but strangely enough we land on the 22nd probably down to the south-west for some waves (Marrissa or Weligama) but I also wanted to go to Kandy and some of the spots on the East Coast that were inaccessible when we were going before the end of the war, were booked for 3 weeks at the moment, no itinerary.

Doc goes on leave today and gets back the day we're due to fly, he was comfortable that it could wait another couple of weeks. First couple of hotels booked in Negombo (Ziegler Cottage) and Polunnawara (Deer Park Hotel) trying to figure it out from there. We've got a driver and working out the bits around where he drops us and we do sections by train etc. and he meets us the other end. We're going to spend a couple of nights each in Kandy, Nuwara Elyia and Ella and hike, bike or horse ride out to other bits from there. Looking at the route of the train line from Kandy to Ella viaNuwara Eliya the view must be pretty amazing. After that it's Mirissa beach for a few days before heading back to Negombo for the last night as we've an earlyish flight back.
HappyGoLucky

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:14 am

Meh, she's got double vision and I'm left double posting!
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:05 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
Hi

Spot on the with narrow angles Doc. Pressures were at 17 & 21 and she's been having monocular double vision so he said that directed him to a single vision lens over a multi one as he was concerned about flares and night vision issues. Knew all the answers before we asked the questions.

Doctor Congo wrote:Did you say hi to Shamira from me?

Yup, and I told him you said it was ok for him to do it at mates rates too which was nice of you!

Pressures sound ok but there’s a risk it can suddenly go very high. Monofocal lenses are fine. It just means near vision will need reading glasses to correct after surgery which is no big deal.

Lol good luck with the mates rates!
Doctor Congo

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:39 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Pressures sound ok but there’s a risk it can suddenly go very high. Monofocal lenses are fine. It just means near vision will need reading glasses to correct after surgery which is no big deal.

Lol good luck with the mates rates!

Was surprised we didn't get any drops to bring the pressure down, but checking with his office today, just to be sure.

I'm pretty sure I saw an advert somewhere saying that a donation of just fifty pounds could give the gift of sight to someone with cataracts in a far off land, what does that get the poor buggers a marble? Having got the quote, I can saying it's reassuringly more expensive than that!

Initial indications from our insurers are that they they're going to cover it, so hopefully it'll just be the excess we have to pay.
HappyGoLucky

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery