Mr & Mrs Thorn Weight Loss Challenge

Sit down and tell us what's wrong with you.

Re: Mr & Mrs Thorn Weight Loss Challenge

Post by deev @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:54 pm

DRink as much water as you possibly can before the initial weigh in and fill your pockets with old batteries, then spend 4 hours in the sauna wearing before the final weigh in then do a shit. I've shifted 3.5kgs of sweat once for a weigh in for Judo. Not healthy but guarantees a win if you cut out eating some crap in between.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:41 am

159.5 lbs. Ooh.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am

I've lost five stone since February.

I've done it by stopping eating carbohydrate rich food like potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. Obviously crisps and fizzy drinks are out too. Exercise is good but it's the diet that's most important.
S1K

Post by span @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am

I'm increasingly realising that post-summer is just as much the time for turning over new leaves as post-Christmas.

I am also on a Thing from now until end of September. I need to lose a bit that's crept on over summer (5lbs) but also want to start incorporating more strength / toning exercise. I do a fair bit of walking and running with the dog so probably do enough gentle cardio, but now I'm the wrong side of 35 I need to start doing other things that aren't just about clearing the calories for more booze that evening. Because of brittle bones or something?

Teeks have you done that HIIT stuff? Is it intended as a quick weight-loss thing, or is it actually good for you long term? The fact it doesn't take long appeals.

Really massively impressed with great efforts of S1K and Greg!!

And Damien I look forward to following your challenge. Mr Span and I could not do that kind of challenge, it would end badly!
span

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am

span wrote:Teeks have you done that HIIT stuff? Is it intended as a quick weight-loss thing, or is it actually good for you long term? The fact it doesn't take long appeals.

I haven't done proper HIIT. On my turbo trainer I often do an hour interval training where you have blocks of 30s sprint/30s slow.
spin.JPG
spin.JPG (44.68 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

I think real HIIT is something you do in a much short time (7-10 minutes is common) with absolute maximum intensity on the interval so after the session you're well and truly done. The theory is the up/down nature of the routine makes you burn fat. Continuous moderate/high exercise burns glycogen.

If you're time short HIIT is supposedly the best way to lose weight quickly. A friend of mine does a daily 30 minutes of P90X and swears by it. Lost a chunk of weight and is now annoyingly well toned.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:06 am

I do a few half hour HIIT sessions around weight training of a week. Really good and effective IMO. With the caveat that it’s all really fcuk all in terms of weight loss. Diet is everything if you want to lose weight. I’m in the slightly irritating position of being in better shape than I’ve ever been in terms of fitness and strength but could lose a few pounds due to my love of booze and food. I couldn’t really do any more exercise so would need to make dem gainz in the kitchen/not the bar if I want to shift it. Infuriating.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by span @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:58 am

Disastrous wrote:Diet is everything if you want to lose weight.

Definitely agree with that. IMO it's far easier to lose weight by dieting IF you're already doing lots of exercise - you just cut back and it falls off. But to just exercise the weight off without altering your diet is pretty useless.

Thanks for info Teeks and Dis. I'm now not sure HIIT is what I'm after. Probably need to look at pilates or yoga or something. Or just straightforward weights and strength stuff.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm

S1K wrote:I've lost five stone since February.

Wow, that's phenomenal. Well done!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:58 pm

+ One, do you feel much better S1K ?
Last edited by Strawman on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

span wrote:Thanks for info Teeks and Dis. I'm now not sure HIIT is what I'm after. Probably need to look at pilates or yoga or something. Or just straightforward weights and strength stuff.

I mentioned it earlier but this is really good: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/7-minute-workout-challenge/id680170305?mt=8

The 7 minute thing is a bit of a misnomer, you loop the workout - I do 3 or 4 loops, so 20-30 minutes of exercise and it's intense and uses all different muscle groups.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:15 pm

5st is huge

As, I'm guessing, were you
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Losing five stone has made a huge difference.

I'd just let the weight creep up on me over the past four or five years and somehow ended up at nineteen stone, I'm six foot to give some context. I was fat, albeit not the type of fat you stop to have a good look at. Too much fast food, too many meal deal lunches, not enough cooking from scratch.

In February this year I went a week without eating any fast food, prompted by KFC not having any chicken thanks to their new contract with DHL, and during that week decided to start cooking for myself a bit. That prompted me to think a bit more carefully about what I was eating and it wasn't long, maybe a fortnight, before the first half a stone came off and I thought I could really make a go of losing a decent amount of weight. Stopping eating carbs and going onto what became basically a keto diet happened sort of by accident. I had stopped eating carb rich food for a month at least before I even heard of the word keto. It just seemed to make sense to avoid energy rich foods.

Between February and June I lost a stone a month. The weight loss has slowed a bit since then but I'm under fourteen stone now and down from a 40" waist to about a 34" waist. I'm still wearing the 36" trousers I bought a couple of months ago but it looks like I'll be needing some smaller ones soon. Doing everything is easier. Walking doesn't hurt my feet and ankles and knees and it's easier to cycle up hills. Imagining doing everything while carrying a 30kg rucksack puts it into context.

I feel better in myself and have more confidence to go places and do things now. I'm not 100% sure whether this is because I've lost the weight or whether the fact that my mood was a bit better this year is what enabled me to find the gumption to get on and do it. Maybe they've fed off each other. Either way it's a good thing. I have a bit of psoriasis and that's better than it was too. I have more energy even though I'm eating fewer calories.

The main thing I'd like to stress is that it wasn't as hard to lose a load of weight as anyone light think. It did take some initial willpower of course but not a lot and the motivation you get when the weight starts coming off is reward in itself. I haven't been inside a gym and I haven't spent the last six months feeling hungry all the time. I'm basically a pretty lazy person and if I can do it anyone can.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Good effort, especially as it’s just from being in the kitchen.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:51 pm

I've done some cycling and walking, but not Olympic training level. I'd say 90% is diet and my body just getting back towards what is its natural shape.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Very good weight loss for apparently minimal effort, you must be pleased.

I’m intrigued about the initial gain though, not that yours is an unusual story, and wonder if you’d tried losing weight at any point along the way or was there a penny drop moment?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 pm

I hadn't tried losing weight before, it had been a progressive gain over a few years then sustained for a year or two at about the same weight. I felt tired most of the time and like I didn't have the time or energy to cook for myself or the will to care too much about what I was eating or what eating too much and what poor food choices were doing to me.

It was a penny drop moment. The speed of the weight coming off was the most surprising thing. That I could lose so much weight so quickly without feeling hungry was quite a revelation.

Junk food like KFC and McDonalds exist for a reason and that's because you do get an initial rush from eating them. Just like taking drugs though you pay for that rush later by feeling bloated and lethargic and farty and constipated, none of which is conducive to getting oneself off the sofa or out of bed to use your spare time to go for a walk or ride the bike or go out and do social things. Not feeling like that is quite a bonus on top of the weight loss.

I'd ideally still like to lose another stone or two but I'm much happier at this weight even if I don't.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Massive (no pun!) well done though S1. However you've motivated yourself and managed it, it's definitely a commendable achievement.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 pm

How is this progressing?
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am

Strawman wrote:How is this progressing?

He can't answer. He's too fat to get near the keyboard
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 am

I think I will definitely win this, but don't have figures to hand to confirm at this time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:44 pm

If you want to do this properly you should follow Mark Marky Mark Wahlberg’s daily routine

What a mentalist
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pm

I can't see "beat an immigrant until he loses the sight in one eye" on there.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Keep it light eh, esswon!
thekungfury

Post by deev @ Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 pm

It doesn't say the time he injects himself with HGH like the Rock. What? Who said that?
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 am

How can he play golf in 30 minutes?
manfromdelmonte

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:How can he play golf in 30 minutes?

easy
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am

Cryo chamber recovery and a 2.30 start. Well, that's obviously perfectly normal.
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 am

He's training for a new role I think. Bit like you training for your new car Greg.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by span @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

It takes him three times longer to eat a snack than to play golf?
span

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:He's training for a new role I think. Bit like you training for your new car Greg.

Greg66

PreviousNext

Return to The Doctor's Surgery