The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I'd like a gravel bike too, I like the idea of fast but relaxed.

As far as I can work out a gravel bike is a hybrid with drop bars - so loses the relaxed element somewhat?

And cyclo-cross is mountain biking on road bikes because fcuk knows why...

Damien Thorn wrote:Do we have fire roads in the UK? No.

Yes. It's an American term, but we do have them.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by optionclick @ Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:05 pm

If we're showing our 'cross bikes, here are mine:

Specialized Crux E5, with slick tyres for commuting

Specialized Crux Expert X1

Felt F4X
Last edited by optionclick on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
optionclick

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Image links not embedding but I c&p'd them and love the Felt.

Do you race CX?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by optionclick @ Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Not yet although I might give it a go this season.
Finding the time is the main challenge.

I sold the E5 a few weeks ago, so I'm not quite the bike hoarder my post might suggest ;-)

Tried fixing the Dropbox img links - should hopefully work now
Last edited by optionclick on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
optionclick

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 pm

CX racing is so wrong. The filth! The absolute fcuking filth!

Can't abide the whole concept.

Pathetic isn't it? Especially so, coming from someone who charges about in a pointy hat and skin suit doing time trials. In my defense I did do a 19:53 ten mile time trial this year. That's 30.172 mph average fact fans.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Aesgarth wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I'd like a gravel bike too, I like the idea of fast but relaxed.

As far as I can work out a gravel bike is a hybrid with drop bars - so loses the relaxed element somewhat?

And cyclo-cross is mountain biking on road bikes because fcuk knows why...

Damien Thorn wrote:Do we have fire roads in the UK? No.

Yes. It's an American term, but we do have them.

CX bikes are designed for the sport of CX. A ‘gravel bike’ is generally a road bike, with drop bars, which has certain design ideas, nicked from a CX bike. Lower positioned bottom brackets, better clearance for bigger fatter wheels and tyres, than normally found on a road bike, and bigger disc brakes, than found on a higher end disc braked ‘roady’. The geometry of a gravel bike tends to lend itself to a more relaxed riding position than a CX bike as well.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:CX racing is so wrong. The filth! The absolute fcuking filth!

Pathetic isn't it? Especially so, coming from someone who charges about in a pointy hat and skin suit doing time trials. In my defense I did do a 19:53 ten mile time trial this year. That's 30.172 mph average fact fans.

Yeah. CX Racing is the cycling equivalent of walking round with an unwiped arse in my book.

That's a punchy time for a 10, too.
Greg66

Post by moleamol @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:CX racing is so wrong. The filth! The absolute fcuking filth!

Good time there GA, it would have taken DDD an hour for that ride!
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by optionclick @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:24 pm

I find it a lot of fun (CX riding rather than racing).
I've done my fair share of long road rides, but I now find that anything longer than a couple of hours bores me shitless.

These days I'd much rather go for a short fast blast along the North Downs Way and a CX bike is absolutely ideal for that.
It does mean that my hardtail mountain bike has been rather neglected, but I can't bring myself to sell it.
optionclick

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I definitely won't be going racing, cx or otherwise. Far too handsome for all that.
thekungfury

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 am

thekungfury wrote: Far too handsome for all that.

Glad you cleared that up
Gnostic Ascent

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 am

Has anyone heard of Merlin bikes?

HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by optionclick @ Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Assuming it's still the same company, Merlin were very well known for making titanium mountain bikes in the late 80s & early 90s.
No idea whether their new stuff is good though I'm afraid
optionclick

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm

That bike (I think) in green was parked up outside my office today. Looked good.
thekungfury

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:20 pm

FSA Crankset with the self extractor bolt set up? I hate them with a passion. I’ve converted both my bikes with that set up to threaded BBs and HT2 cranksets. Much more flexibility and choice, and threaded BBs are better anyway.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by deev @ Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:50 pm

I got a rear wheel from Merlin about 15 years ago, a few friends had their bikes. They weren't overly flashy but they were good solid mountain bikes, frames from Taiwan or China then assembeld here. Better than Planet X anyway.
Last edited by deev on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

deev wrote:I got a rear wheel from Merlin about 15 years ago, a few friends had their bikes. They weren't overly flashy but they were good solid mountain bikes, frames from Taiwan or China then assembeld here. Better than Planet X anyway.

Valuable insight
thekungfury

Post by deev @ Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:28 pm

thekungfury wrote:
deev wrote:I got a rear wheel from Merlin about 15 years ago, a few friends had their bikes. They weren't overly flashy but they were good solid mountain bikes, frames from Taiwan or China then assembeld here. Better than Planet X anyway.

Valuable insight

Still got the wheel!
deev
Banger King

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 am

I've settled into a state of masterful inaction whereby I'm simultaneously looking at ridic overpriced gravel/cc bikes here both new and used, which I'm very unlikely to buy and brand new bikes from the UK like the Merlin one which I'm highly unlikely to buy as I can't try one out first.

I think this is predicated on the fact that I'm supposed to be going to the states next month so should be able to get a new one there for a sensible price. I've told MrsH that I've mentally given myself a budget of $2000, which I'm sure she takes to be S$2000 (US$1475) whereby I know I'll probably drop US$2000 (S$2700) or more if I find one I like. I love playing the currency markets.

On an unrelated note, I had an off on the MTB trail yesterday thanks to a bunch of slippery roots that saw me nearly dislocate my thumb and little finger scrabbling to stop whilst my bike dropped off the edge of the track and fell about 10 feet, busting a couple of spokes on the way down. The pivot bearings are now making an ominous creaking sound not far off that of my already fcuked ankle. This morning I couldn't move my thumb, middle or little fingers on my right hand at all and my wrist clicks in a way it never used to. I'm looking at the CCTV feed to the nearest A&E unit and determining that it doesn't hurt that much.

HappyGoLucky

Previous

Return to General Sports