The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by moleamol @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm

You might have a wait but you should be looking at the Chinese ones, most use the same LEDs as the expensive stuff.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Lots of the Chinese stuff on Ebay is available from UK sellers as well, just a bit more expensive but less waiting.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Right, thanks. I've ordered one from Amazon.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Revol @ Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:38 pm

As above. Handlebar fittings usually crap rubber bands but can be swapped for a proper cam type.
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 pm

My light has arrived already and it's insanely bright. Although what I wasn't expecting (because I didn't bother to actually read the description, probably) was that it would be wired up to a separate battery pack. Not really a problem, but does sort of make a mockery of it coming complete with a strap to make it into a head torch.

I also had it in my head that it charged via USB, but it doesn't - it has a regular three pin plug (and, bafflingly, another travel adaptor plug).

Still, it's got a solid metal body and it's almost unusably bright. So all good.

In a pathetic way it makes me want to go out on my bike just to try it out.

e!: I've just realised tk even SAID it had a separate battery pack, so clearly I didn't even bother to read that. I'm beginning to see where my children get their lack of bothering to do things from.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 pm

I hadn’t really made it clear how big the battery pack was though. It’s fine because you can just strap it underneath the bars/stem/top tube but it’s a bit cumbersome.

Does it have a little velcro pouch that it sits in?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Also are you looking at white dots everywhere?
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, a little square velcro pouch for the battery. When I first took it out of the box of course I turned it on immediately and it burned clean through our eyelids and left us with purple blobs floating in front of our eyes
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minimoog @ Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm

It's needs to be a metal housing because plastic would melt after it's been on a few minutes.
minimoog

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 am

I’ve just ordered my son a set of LED cheapie thingies for his MTB as he’s increasingly cycling at school. No idea what they’re like yet, but dual front and rear thingies. Either rechargeable fat batts or AAAs with an adaptor.
Käsemeister

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

I can't recommend these highly enough. Expensive but great.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Exposure-Lights/Trace-and-TraceR-Daybright-Light-Set/FZV8

This is also a fabulous rear light. Almost as good as the Exposure one and at half price on SigmaSport at the moment

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Bontrager/Flare-R-USB-Rear-Light/8BF8
Gnostic Ascent

Post by moleamol @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Not cycling but I've just ordered a small light bar for the Landy which has 24 Cree LEDs, 12 flood and 12 spot. I'll update my thread with results.
moleamol

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Please do, I’ve been looking at some for the mower and haven’t been able to decide which to go with.
Käsemeister

Post by Pigeon @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Do you really love cutting the grass so much that you can't even stop doing it when it gets dark?
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 pm

More about getting the time to do it.
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Please do, I’ve been looking at some for the mower and haven’t been able to decide which to go with.

It was only £24 so a pound per LED, I'll report back when it's fitted. It's also meant to be waterproof and dust proof. This one
moleamol

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Liking the look of that, seems similar to the ones I’d seen just a lot shorter.
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 am

It's to go on the bull bar, once I've seen what it's like I might order a bigger one for the roof.
moleamol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 am

Since I got my son a road bike for Christmas, he and I have been out together a few times. Not very far yet, and not that fast, because he's still only eleven - but it's transformed my experience of riding.

I'm loving it again and moreso than before. I think I feel more satisfaction when he checks his strava afterwards and sees a slew of PRs, than I ever have when I broke my own, and I feel very proud that already he's keen to increase distance and he's getting quicker and quicker.

Still not far or fast as I say, and you'll see if you follow me on Strava - but it's so enjoyable to be riding with him that I'm happy to let things increase at his pace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 am

Joyous

My daughter can't ride a bike. We haven't tried to get her out on it much and we never got round to getting the stabilisers* off. Wish we'd started her off on a balance bike. She got a scooter for her birthday in September and after a while she mastered that so I'm sure she can get bike balance.

* for the life of me I couldn't remember what they were called. Best I could muster before googling was extra balance wheels.
thekungfury

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Since I got my son a road bike for Christmas, he and I have been out together a few times. Not very far yet, and not that fast, because he's still only eleven - but it's transformed my experience of riding.

I'm loving it again and moreso than before. I think I feel more satisfaction when he checks his strava afterwards and sees a slew of PRs, than I ever have when I broke my own, and I feel very proud that already he's keen to increase distance and he's getting quicker and quicker.

Still not far or fast as I say, and you'll see if you follow me on Strava - but it's so enjoyable to be riding with him that I'm happy to let things increase at his pace.

That must be one of those really great parenting moments sharing things like that.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am

It's brilliant.

I proudly showed Mrs Thorn on strava yesterday evening where he'd called his activity Evening ride with dad - "I just love that", I said.

Something even about the title he'd given it made me feel tremendously happy.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

Totally. Youngest has finally had his first phone for his birthday so he’s itching to get Strava‘d up. Last year he kept pinching his mother’s and driving her potty when he repeatedly smashed her PBs. She regularly does 30-60m rides but he’s definitely turning out more a sprinter like me: get your head down and hammer it and get it over with, even if it kills you.
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Since I got my son a road bike for Christmas, he and I have been out together a few times. Not very far yet, and not that fast, because he's still only eleven - but it's transformed my experience of riding.

That's brilliant! Well done PK.
moleamol

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

moleamol wrote:

That's brilliant! Well done PK.

All the abuse obviously toughened him up
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Ghost @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Totally. Youngest has finally had his first phone for his birthday so he’s itching to get Strava‘d up. Last year he kept pinching his mother’s and driving her potty when he repeatedly smashed her PBs. She regularly does 30-60m rides but he’s definitely turning out more a sprinter like me: get your head down and hammer it and get it over with, even if it kills you.

How is her London to Paris training going?
Ghost

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Funnily there’s two of you prodding her over that now. The annoying part is she wants me to do it too!
Käsemeister

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Get one of those bikes with a hidden electric motor and batteries in the frame.
Strawman

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Tempted.
Käsemeister

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:31 am

Damien Thorn wrote:It's brilliant.

I proudly showed Mrs Thorn on strava yesterday evening where he'd called his activity Evening ride with dad - "I just love that", I said.

Something even about the title he'd given it made me feel tremendously happy.

That’s a nice thing. Getting a Strava obsession, not so good.
Darthdeathdealer

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports