The cycling thread

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Boring hell for everyone not into cycling

Second Marine wrote:
TKF wrote:
Second Marine wrote:
TKF wrote:a long ride this weekend.

What sort of distances do you do t?

This weekend was 25m and I'll be building from there to the ride in June.

I'm doing some interval training in the gym for speed and power too. My iron man mate has given me some great exercises to do.

If you're interested I'll post elsewhere.

Be good to hear what you're doing - I'm not really doing anything yet other than some running.

My mate has given me some interval exercises for the gym. Not full on HIIT stuff but a decent workout.

I'm doing way more than is required for the L2B ride btw but I'm doing a couple of other sportive events where it'll be more competitive. Having the target gives you something to train towards too. Last week marked 15wks until L2B and I have a timetable which ramps up towards the event.

Gym stuff
Speed training
1. 5min warm up
2. Banshee for 30sec
3. Normal for 2min
4. Repeat 2&3
5. 5min warm down

Machines in the gym are great for this because they give you a cadence (rpm) and power output. Currently doing 110rpm @ 260W for the banshee bit then 90rpm @ 120W for normal. Total exc warm up/down 40min and increasing by 2.5min each week.

Power training
1. 5min warm up
2. Low rpm, high resistance for 4min
3. Normal rpm, low resistance for 1min
4. Repeat 2&3
5. 5min warm down

The low rpm is a proper killer and it replicates hills. Currently 50rpm @ 170W then 90rpm @ 90W. 20min increasing by 5min each week.

170W is quite low power but at 50rpm there is no momentum so it's all inertia and every turn of the pedal is a grind. After doing it the first time my thighs were burningtrying to look cool strolling past the hot girls jiggling on the power plates was impossible with your legs doing that funny walk.

He recommends sitting down for hills to make your legs do the hard work. Standing up is effectively cheating because you're using your weight to push rather than your muscles. It also causes your heart rate to spike 10% and saps energy, something I have seen with my heart rate monitor.

Weekends I'm doing rides of 20-25m at the moment to get some base miles and I'll start increasing that as the weeks progress. Might find a club to join.

I'm now obsessed about my heart rate since getting the monitor. Last September I had a resting heart rate of 75bpm. It's now down at 62 and I want to break into the mid 50s by the summer.
Last edited by thekungfury on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Re: Cycling training

Post by nakedninja @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

TKF wrote:I'm now obsessed about my heart rate since getting the monitor. Last September I had a resting heart rate of 75bpm. It's now down at 62 and I want to break into the mid 50s by the summer.

Nice post Teeks.

I remember when my RHR first dropped below 60, I was massively chuffed.

Keep going, it all sounds good.
nakedninja

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

nakedninja wrote:
TKF wrote:I'm now obsessed about my heart rate since getting the monitor. Last September I had a resting heart rate of 75bpm. It's now down at 62 and I want to break into the mid 50s by the summer.

Nice post Teeks.

I remember when my RHR first dropped below 60, I was massively chuffed.

Keep going, it all sounds good.

I want a HRM.

What did you get Teeks, what's a good one?
Bodhi

Post by Ghost @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm

L2B is not that hard to do tbh because there are a lot of points where you end up hanging around or walking because of the crowds (unless you can get away at the crack of dawn with the racing whippets) and I suspect on that training you'll be fine, especially if you keep up the work level and increase the training distances over the next 3.5 months. Sportives tend to be a lot harder and hillier depending on the distance.
Ghost

Post by Revol @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Good luck with the training TK. It does get kinda obsessive when you get a HRM, bit like when you first have a bike computer and can put an actual number to your current speed. I was massively into the whole HRM thing when I was doing time trials and turbo training a few years back. It's been very refreshing to ride sans HRM/computer while recently getting back into cycling. I do use Strava when out though, purely to keep track of distances and provide a bit of motivation, but have the phone in my jersey pocket not on the bars.
Revol

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm not doing anything but clocking miles. I've been struggling to get out due to building work/kids/work so I have been using my trainer in the garage, but I've just started going out on the road again and am doing around 15 miles 2 or 3 nights a week during the week then 25 or so at the weekend. Pace wise I'm averaging around 11.5mph which I think is a reasonable pace over that distance.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Sounds good tk - a couple of years back I used to do a similar sort of thing under a pt although I never had the wattage on the bikes so can't really 'feel' what that's like.

I'm probably being silly but I'm assuming the L2B will be a breeze despite the longest ride I've been on recently being only 15 miles (all off road though with child on back). I'm doing a 5k run daily (mon-fri) at the mo to try and give my legs a bit of a beasting, might change this to MonWedFri of 7k next week.

I've also got a 10k run lined up next month that's meant to be a fun run but at least 4 of us doing it will be secretly competing so this is taking priority in training at the moment.

You got any idea of what sort of time you're hoping for for L2B? One of our lot says no more than 5 hours - sounds about right?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Bodhi wrote:I want a HRM.

What did you get Teeks, what's a good one?

You can spend loads but I went for a basic one. Polar FT1 for about £30 I think.

Revol wrote:It's been very refreshing to ride sans HRM/computer while recently getting back into cycling.

On the odd occasion I've forgotten to take it you do feel freer just to get on and ride.

However my dad had a heart attack a couple of years ago which spurred me into getting fit again after more than a decade of a sedentary lifestyle. Plus a colleague collapsed during a 10k run and had to have a heart valve replaced. He was otherwise fit and both events got me paranoid.

I track the routes with SportyPal on my phone (basically like Strava) and have a Cateye V2c on the bars which has cadence.

Ghost wrote:L2B is not that hard to do tbh because there are a lot of points where you end up hanging around or walking because of the crowds (unless you can get away at the crack of dawn with the racing whippets) and I suspect on that training you'll be fine, especially if you keep up the work level and increase the training distances over the next 3.5 months. Sportives tend to be a lot harder and hillier depending on the distance.

That's what I'm thinking. L2B is going to be a fun thing with mates and we'll all be hungover. But it's nice to have a target to train towards plus I have another couple of events lined up that'll be more competitive.

Second Marine wrote:You got any idea of what sort of time you're hoping for for L2B? One of our lot says no more than 5 hours - sounds about right?

Sounds about right I think.

When I do a non-stop weekend ride alone I average currently 14-16mph. I think 10mph accounting for stops and crowds seems doable.
thekungfury

Post by jimbob @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 pm

If you cant do it in 4 hrs with training i will be shocked.

I used to do 65 mile rides for fun and longest time was 4 hrs 45mins shortest was 3hrs 35mins or so and that was without training.
jimbob

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

jimbob wrote:If you cant do it in 4 hrs with training i will be shocked.

I used to do 65 mile rides for fun and longest time was 4 hrs 45mins shortest was 3hrs 35mins or so and that was without training.

It's less the riding pace and more the getting stuck behind packs of fun riders from what I hear.

I've only watched the first couple of minutes for this but it looks horrendous!

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chh9l1OL26c
thekungfury

Post by jimbob @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:00 pm

TKF wrote:

It's less the riding pace and more the getting stuck behind packs of fun riders from what I hear.

I've only watched the first couple of minutes for this but it looks horrendous!

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chh9l1OL26c

I dont think it will be that bad to be honest. Biggest ride slash race i took part in had 25 thousand entrants irrc. Did my best time on that one too.

Was a good long while back though.

http://www.cycletour.co.za/index.php/information/history/
jimbob

Post by Me. @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, but that was because you had a Toyota Hi-Ace behind you full of AK47 laden passengers. :hehe:
Me.

Cycling training

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:25 pm

TKF wrote:However my dad had a heart attack a couple of years ago which spurred me into getting fit again after more than a decade of a sedentary lifestyle.

Similar story with me, although with a lengthier timescale. My Dad, who was relatively fit, died of a heart attack a few weeks shy of his 51st birthday. I was 3 days shy of my 26th and didn't even consider my own physical condition at the time, although I was pretty fit then. Forward to last year and I have one of those moments when I realised what a mess I was in physically and I'm closing in on the age my Dad died, Iknew I had to do something about it.

I'm not doing anywhere near what you're doing Teeks, and if I'm honest nor do I want to, but I do think it's mighty impressive.

I wanted to get fitter and lose weight, (and it's working). Then I figured why not work towards something, then why not make it meaningful in some way, short step to L2B as it's a perfect fit.

One thing I have noticed, which I'd never believed until I experienced it myself, was that the more you exercise the more energy you have. I got back from a 25+ mile ride on Sunday and did a few jobs round the house rather than jump in the bath and then sit on my arse for a bit.
DI Burnside

Post by jimbob @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Me. wrote:

Yeah, but that was because you had a Toyota Hi-Ace behind you full of AK47 laden passengers. :hehe:

Fcuk off. Its because i was chasing the guy with the cooler full of beer!!! :tongue:
jimbob

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:13 pm

crikey wrote:One thing I have noticed, which I'd never believed until I experienced it myself, was that the more you exercise the more energy you have. I got back from a 25+ mile ride on Sunday and did a few jobs round the house rather than jump in the bath and then sit on my arse for a bit.

Do you find you're more resilient to sickness too?

I used to get colds every time my daughter brought something home from nursery but now they either don't start or they're shaken within quickly whilst my wife is sniffling for days.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:21 pm

TKF wrote:
crikey wrote:One thing I have noticed, which I'd never believed until I experienced it myself, was that the more you exercise the more energy you have. I got back from a 25+ mile ride on Sunday and did a few jobs round the house rather than jump in the bath and then sit on my arse for a bit.

Do you find you're more resilient to sickness too?

I used to get colds every time my daughter brought something home from nursery but now they either don't start or they're shaken within quickly whilst my wife is sniffling for days.

I hadn't until you pointed it out but yes, Mrs C and both kids have had colds / viruses over the past couple of months but I've not picked them up. The odd time I do get something it tends to only last 24 hours or so.
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

We are essentially super beings and should be worshipped
thekungfury

Post by Me. @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 pm

I too...have bought a bike. Actually , scratch that, I was given one. It's a Marin mountain bike. The right pedal is knackered and I can't get the bastards off and the bearing in that one is buggered so it clicks when I ride it. But I'm going to try to use it as a means of getting to and from the workshop every day. This is a paltry 3 mile ride so what I want to know, is will this have any impact on my fitness or would I have to do a lot more mileage to do that?
Me.

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 pm

My modesty was preventing me from pointing it out.
DI Burnside

Post by Strawman @ Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:07 pm

Me. wrote:This is a paltry 3 mile ride so what I want to know, is will this have any impact on my fitness or would I have to do a lot more mileage to do that?

More, but then you should have some residual fitness from spannering things during the day, compared to many of us who sit around mostly. You need to have an elevated heart rate and breathing for a good few minutes before your improving your fitness AFAIK, so less than 15 minutes exercise does little.
Strawman

Post by Me. @ Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I went for a ride today, not far, but enough to make me think I'd better be close enough to home so I could call an ambulance. The seat ate my ballbag, the slight uphills stretched my thigh muscles like piano wire. Fcuk that till I get a new seat at least.
Me.

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:30 am

Nice long ride yesterday. My longest by far.

New saddle worked a treat. No ill effects whatsoever.

The step up to this distance is really noticeable from my usual 20-25 routes. The climbs in the final third really took it out of me. The steepest climbs 200ft in 1.5m. Ditchling Beacon climbs 600ft in roughly the same distance. Gulp.

About half an hour after the ride major cramps set in on my thighs. I obviously didn't stretch enough or take on enough salt/electrolytes. Apparently an isotonic type sports drink should help this.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 am

What bike are you riding Teeks ? I don't get anywhere near that average speed but I don't know if that's me or the fact I'm on a MTB with front suspension and nobblies.
DI Burnside

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

TKF wrote:About half an hour after the ride major cramps set in on my thighs. I obviously didn't stretch enough or take on enough salt/electrolytes. Apparently an isotonic type sports drink should help this.

Yep, back in the day when I used to race, I would put half a teaspoon of salt with plain water and it worked a treat. Isotonic drinks will do the same and taste a lot nicer - they were just out of my price range as a student!

Also, try to make the last few miles a 'warm down' so still pedalling at a reasonable cadence (rather than freewheeling), but putting very little load through your legs. Obviously this won't work if you live on the top of a huge hill.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

That was on my road bike.

I used to get low 13s on my MTB and after a summer of riding that rose to mid 14s. Front suspension but semi slick tyres (these)

tbh I was a bit disappointed with how little difference the road bike made. It weighs 50% less, it has skinny tyres, a racey set-up and I have clipless pedals.

First ride on the new bike I went out and did a familiar route expecting the times the tumble but they really didn't. You can see it takes half the ride to get into a rhythm and get the speed up.

I'm still learning the technique for the road bike in terms of riding position, gear selection and the pedals. Also need to work on the engine...
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
TKF wrote:About half an hour after the ride major cramps set in on my thighs. I obviously didn't stretch enough or take on enough salt/electrolytes. Apparently an isotonic type sports drink should help this.

Yep, back in the day when I used to race, I would put half a teaspoon of salt with plain water and it worked a treat. Isotonic drinks will do the same and taste a lot nicer - they were just out of my price range as a student!

Apparently salt i.e. table salt doesn't do a great deal for cramps. Potassium is best so a banana is ideal. And quinine so a G&T half way round is an option.
thekungfury

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 am

TKF wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:

Apparently salt i.e. table salt doesn't do a great deal for cramps. Potassium is best so a banana is ideal. And quinine so a G&T half way round is an option.

Sadly G&T was beyond the means of a student, but a banana was usually consumed en route anyway.

For me there was quite a marked difference when I started to use the salt. I could tend to avoid hitting 'the wall' and had less trouble with cramps (although admittedly it wasn't something that affected me regularly anyway). Given the choice though, I'd have used isotonic drinks instead.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 am

TKF wrote:That was on my road bike.

I used to get low 13s on my MTB and after a summer of riding that rose to mid 14s. Front suspension but semi slick tyres (these)

I was usually doing mid 12's when I was going out 3 or 4 times a week last year and managed a couple of 13's (13.20 & 13.71). I need to get back up to that frequency again. I've just swapped to semi-slicks yesterday (these) but I haven't been out on it yet to see if they make a difference.
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 am

crikey wrote:
TKF wrote:That was on my road bike.

I was usually doing mid 12's when I was going out 3 or 4 times a week last year and managed a couple of 13's (13.20 & 13.71). I need to get back up to that frequency again. I've just swapped to semi-slicks yesterday (these) but I haven't been out on it yet to see if they make a difference.

I think at our kind of level these changes are fairly minor.

I went out with a mate recently on my MTB. He had road biased but still nobbly tyres and freewheeling down the hills mine had noticeably less rolling resistance. Not by a huge amount but all incremental in terms of how much energy we put in.

Just reading the reviews for yours and they say one downside is maximum 40psi. With my SS they are at 65psi on the road. I find tyre pressure makes a big difference to the speed you can carry. Road bike is 115psi and can go to 125psi.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 am

By the way this talk of speeds of 12-15mph is funny when you look at the big boys.

My mate does 70.3 Iron Man comps (1.2m swim, 56m ride, 13m run) and he does ~23mph in the ride part. On the flats he holds 25mph all day. Mind you, he does ride one of these which must add 10mph, right?

The TdF guys do 25mph for 6hrs even in the mountain stages and well over 30mph in the time trials. In the velodrome this summer they'll be nailing 45mph+. Insane.

Just look at this ride from at event at the weekend. Fcuking immense.
http://www.strava.com/rides/milano-san-remo-2012-5329389
thekungfury

Next

Return to General Sports