The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Monty wrote:I've not long returned from smashing one out.

Puncture...arrrrgh!
Luckily I had my Co2 tyre inflator thingy with me & a spare inner tube or I'd've been fcuked.
I remembered to check the inside of the tyre for the offending object and sure enough there was a small piece of sharp stone buried in the rubber. Anyway new inner tube fitted & the C02 thing worked very well and reinflated the tyre to 100+psi.

If you don't have one of these, get one!

Remember to get one with a plastic or foam sleeve on it. The canister gets very cold when you use it.

And be very careful to check that everything is seated properly, and that the tube moves up and down freely in the tyre at the valve, before you open up with the gas. Blowing a brand new tube is irritating, more so when you haven't got another spare.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 am

Saddles.

So what's the deal with these fcukers?
I seem to suffer with sit bone ache which is restricting the distance I actually enjoy and am prepared to travel. At the moment and hour and a half is about all I can manage before throwing the towel in, this is with wearing double cycling shorts with in theory twice the padding.
I've tried a few different ones, but with pretty much the same result.
Is it a matter of just enduring the discomfort and over time I'll just get begrudgingly used to it?
I long for one of those big squidgy sprung Brooks things that are actually comfortable, but would be a bit silly on a road bike. I actually have something similar fitted to my MTB which is in fact actually nice to sit on!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:46 am

Monty wrote:Saddles.

So what's the deal with these fcukers?
I seem to suffer with sit bone ache which is restricting the distance I actually enjoy and am prepared to travel. At the moment and hour and a half is about all I can manage before throwing the towel in, this is with wearing double cycling shorts with in theory twice the padding.
I've tried a few different ones, but with pretty much the same result.
Is it a matter of just enduring the discomfort and over time I'll just get begrudgingly used to it?
I long for one of those big squidgy sprung Brooks things that are actually comfortable, but would be a bit silly on a road bike. I actually have something similar fitted to my MTB which is in fact actually nice to sit on!

You'll find that if the saddle is too squishy it will be uncomfortable over a long distance, if it's too hard, it's going to be equally uncomfortable over a long distance, but for different reasons. Then there is the positioning and height to consider. Also, using a more shock / buzz absorbent material in the seat post and or rails will affect the comfort. I've found Selle Italia road saddles to be very good on my road bikes. They always seem to get the 'Goldilocks zone' ( not too hard, not too soft). It depends on the type of riding you do as well. I've got a Fizik Arione saddle on one of my bikes, which is supportive, and great for shorter distances / higher speeds, but would be agony on an endurance ride.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:54 am

There are different schools of thought when it comes to bike saddles. Some people say that a soft gel saddle is the answer but others reckon that a harder leather saddle which moulds to your body shape over time is better in the long run. Others say that the material is largely irrelevant and that it's the shape of the saddle which is most important. There's little point taking advice from anyone else on any particular saddle because if your "sit bones" are wider or narrower than theirs then what's comfortable for them may be torture for you.

This article is pretty good - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/c ... ke-saddles

And if you've got ten minutes to spare - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
spast1kunt

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:11 am

When I was smaller, lighter and fitter a Flight Titanium was perfect for me - now it's absolute torture.

So as Spasty says, ignore everyone. We're all different and even then we change.

That said, Selle Italia have always been pretty middle of the road in terms of size, shape and hardness, so that's as close as it gets to a 'one size fits all' road saddle.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:18 am

spast1kunt wrote:This article is pretty good - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/c ... ke-saddles

And if you've got ten minutes to spare - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

I watched/read both of those late last week. And ended up none the wiser, really. Hence my sort of 'last resort' post (with respect, natch) here...

Careless Whisperer wrote:When I was smaller, lighter and fitter a Flight Titanium was perfect for me - now it's absolute torture.

So as Spasty says, ignore everyone. We're all different and even then we change.

That said, Selle Italia have always been pretty middle of the road in terms of size, shape and hardness, so that's as close as it gets to a 'one size fits all' road saddle.

I do have to keep reminding myself that I'm not as light as I was when cycling was a painless past time...except that it wasn't a past time then, it was a necessity. It was before I'd discovered that by putting an engine in a bicycle and calling it a motorbike a whole new world was opened up to me. Lol...as they say.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:32 am

Monty wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:This article is pretty good - http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/c ... ke-saddles

I watched/read both of those late last week. And ended up none the wiser, really. Hence my sort of 'last resort' post (with respect, natch) here...

Careless Whisperer wrote:When I was smaller, lighter and fitter a Flight Titanium was perfect for me - now it's absolute torture.

I do have to keep reminding myself that I'm not as light as I was when cycling was a painless past time...except that it wasn't a past time then, it was a necessity. It was before I'd discovered that by putting an engine in a bicycle and calling it a motorbike a whole new world was opened up to me. Lol...as they say.

And to add another curve ball to an already complicated game, you've also got to consider how you distribute your weight when riding, and exactly how the weight shifts, during different scenarios. For example, if you ride like a sack of spuds, and you take virtually all your weight on the saddle, you'll find a saddle feels different to someone who takes the weight better through their core / legs / arms / whatever. And someone who remains seated for longer, will find it different to someone who rides out of the saddle more. Add in seat height, position and angle, and you've got even more variables, then there is the issue of what exactly the frame is made of, and it's geometry, and the bearing that those variables have on comfort. And then as if that little lot wasn't enough, some people have different pain thresholds to others. One man's agony is another man's 'meh'.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 am

Good shorts help but a saddle that doesn't work is never going to be fixed. It's not about the thickness of the saddle either, it's the shape as everyone has a different shaped arse. Most good cycling shops will be able to measure your sit bones and recommend a saddle. Try one of the larger ones with a bigger choice of brands so they'll recommend the right one, not just the one they sell.

On my first roadie I really couldn't get on with the saddle and tried a Charge Spoon because it was cheap. I figured I'd go up the price tree from there but it suits me perfectly. For £20 it's worth a try. If it doesn't work you'll get most of that back on eBay.

On my second roadie I got lucky as the saddle it came with was spot on from day 1.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

thekungfury wrote:...On my first roadie I really couldn't get on with the saddle and tried a Charge Spoon because it was cheap. I figured I'd go up the price tree from there but it suits me perfectly. For £20 it's worth a try. If it doesn't work you'll get most of that back on eBay.

Guess what I bought from off of Amazon because it was cheap that popped through the door on Saturday...I'm hopeful, but it does seem a little firm. Fingers X'd anyway...
Monty

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 am

Like I say don't worry about the thickness of the padding. It's the location of the padding and the shape of the saddle that matters.
thekungfury

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 am

thekungfury wrote:Like I say don't worry about the thickness of the padding. It's the location of the padding and the shape of the saddle that matters.

Both the thickness and position, of the padding are important.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Hope the spoon works mont. lots of good advice on here from spastic, Cw and kung.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Ta.

If the spoon isn't any good I'm thinking of this: https://www.evanscycles.com/ism-pn-1-1-saddle-EV241046

However I will actually go to Evans for a measure up if they do it, before spunking ninety quid!
Monty

Post by Ghost @ Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Would also recommend the Spoon. Changed to one after a Selle left me in agony after a sportive on seriously badly surfaced roads.
Ghost

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 am

Don't completely discount your shorts. The whole interaction between arse, shorts and saddle needs to be taken into account. Although arse and saddle are the most important if the insert seams interact with the saddle in the wrong way you're in for trouble.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

Gnostic Ascent wrote:Don't completely discount your shorts. The whole interaction between arse, shorts and saddle needs to be taken into account. Although arse and saddle are the most important if the insert seams interact with the saddle in the wrong way you're in for trouble.

Tru dat

I bought some cheap shorts for the turbo and the seam was rubbing on my right cheek. It left a section like a peeled grape which was agony for days.
thekungfury

Post by Monty @ Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:02 am

Oh. I'd temporarily forgotten about this.
I took myself and my arse off to Evanses to get measured. 120mm was the result.
I told the man that I had a Fabric 'Scoop' which I was replacing with my recently purchased Charge 'Spoon'...the 'Spoon' is almost identical but has firmer padding whilst being the same thickness it seems. Anyway he told me that both saddles were at least the correct width.
I've only used the 'Spoon' indoors on the trainer as I'm frankly just too gay to go out in this fcuking weather! After half an hour I can feel my sit bones starting to ache, so I expect this might be worse on the actual road.

I'm tempted to buy another pair of padded shorts. Rather than using an old pair to double up with, new ones would have better padding too...
Monty

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:19 am

Monty wrote:I've only used the 'Spoon' indoors on the trainer

Don't forget that the turbo is completely unnatural as on the road the uneven surface moves the pressure points about. On the turbo you tend to sit in pretty much the same position and as such the saddle presses on the same area constantly.

My TT saddle is a pain in the arse on the turbo but fine on the road.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:17 pm

I find the short nose on my TT saddles limits the range of possibilities for comfortable position changes a bit. I really didn't get on with the TT positions in general. I put up with it because the TT bike was only used on short rides anyway.
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Why are you riding TT's bike.

Never mind.
Käsemeister

Post by Freddie @ Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Why are you riding TT's bike.

Never mind.

Poor old TT. No bike. The world has become a sad place. First Trump and now DDD.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 am

Darthdeathdealer wrote: I just smashed out a massive ride, knackered.

Gnostic Ascent

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 am

Odd that it chose the long way round.
thekungfury

Post by moleamol @ Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:58 am

thekungfury wrote:Odd that it chose the long way round.

Maybe Ewan McGregor chartered it.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 pm

The graphics for the map probably only works one way
Gnostic Ascent

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 pm

I just smashed out a massive. Oh. I just went cycling with the kids.

/pumpdrop
Käsemeister

Post by spast1kunt @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Käsemeister wrote:I just smashed out a massive. Oh. I just went cycling with the kids.

/pumpdrop

Did you beat them?

In a race I mean, not literally beat them, though I'm not trying to tell you how to discipline your own children obviously.
spast1kunt

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Not in a race. Though I did beat them, obv.
Käsemeister

Post by Monty @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:27 pm

*** Arse Update ***

Well, I've done about 60 road miles on the 'Spoon'...3 x 20 mile rides. It's no armchair, that's for sure! But there is improvement, so I'm happy with that.
I've also dropped the bars by around 7-8mm which seems to have taken some weight of my sit bones as I'm pitched forward a bit more. Annoyingly the cheapo Halfords bike has a better position than Evans' finest as it's bars were lower & I'd not noticed this until riding the Pinnacle a couple of times!
The other thing I've been trying to do is not ride in the longest gear possible on the flat, rather to pedal a little faster which is actually easier going. This was due to me getting upper/inner thigh strain earlier in the week & I saw someone had mentioned riding 'on the big cog' as being a possible cause when Googling it. I dropped the saddle height a wee bit too which could've helped as well.
The good side of all this is that I'm actually enjoying cycling, which I really wasn't before!
Last edited by Monty on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Monty wrote:*** Arse Update ***

Well, I've done about 60 road miles on the 'Spoon'...3 x 20 mile rides. It's no armchair, that's for sure! But there is improvement, so I'm happy with that.
I've also dropped the bars by around 7-8mm which seems to have taken some weight of my sit bones as I'm pitched forward a bit more. Annoyingly the cheapo Halfords bike has a better position than Evans' finest as it's bars were lower & I'd not noticed this until riding the Pinnacle a couple of times!

That's often the case.

Monty wrote:The other thing I've been trying to do is not ride in the longest gear possible on the flat, rather to pedal a little faster which is actually easier going. This was due to me getting upper/inner thigh strain earlier in the week & I saw someone had mentioned riding 'on the big cog' as being a possible cause when Googling it. I dropped the saddle height a wee bit too which could've helped as well.
The good side of all this is that I'm actually enjoying cycling, which I really wasn't before!

Now you're into the technical stuff. What you're describing is a ( technical shit alert ) low gear / high cadence approach. This is the most bio mechanically efficient way of riding, over shorter distances. However, it gets a bit more complicated if you want to do endurance riding ( big miles / long hours ). Unless you have people feeding you 'on the hoof' or you're carrying a lot of sustainance, it's preferable to keep your heart rate, or ( if you know your functional threshold power, and training zone requirements, and have power meters fitted) in or around 'Zone 2'. This needs a relatively low cadence / high gear approach, which needs the bike to be fitted / set up very well, to reduce the possibility of injury. Most people don't need to ride like this, so don't need to worry about it too much. But it's nice to have things like power meters, and Watt bikes available now, so that you know how to use your bike in the most efficient manner, for your requirements. There are some really good technical 'bike fits' available now ( Retul fits and the like) to make sure you are using the bike in the most bio mechanically efficient manner as well. You don't get knackered / injured, quite so easily.
Darthdeathdealer

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports