The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Barbarianna @ Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm

I stuck a cheapo chinese carbon fibre saddle on mine (£12) in a bid to save weight ; a number of other thungs also got changed (wheels, posts etc) because i was travelling abroad and didnt want to get stung on excess baggage weight.

Having ridden around on the thing in a very hostile poorly tarmacd city for a month, initialky the saddle felt unusual - but no more unusual than any new thing, but not painful, and after a week or so I was hurtling around the place for hours on end without any discomfort. The previous saddle was a San Marco soft gelly one. So, I guess i was just lucky. Having said that I wasnt riding to set record times or for racing.
Barbarianna

Post by Dirk @ Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:25 am

Monty wrote:*** Arse Update ***

Well, I've done about 60 road miles on the 'Spoon'...3 x 20 mile rides. It's no armchair, that's for sure! But there is improvement, so I'm happy with that.
I've also dropped the bars by around 7-8mm which seems to have taken some weight of my sit bones as I'm pitched forward a bit more. Annoyingly the cheapo Halfords bike has a better position than Evans' finest as it's bars were lower & I'd not noticed this until riding the Pinnacle a couple of times!
The other thing I've been trying to do is not ride in the longest gear possible on the flat, rather to pedal a little faster which is actually easier going. This was due to me getting upper/inner thigh strain earlier in the week & I saw someone had mentioned riding 'on the big cog' as being a possible cause when Googling it. I dropped the saddle height a wee bit too which could've helped as well.
The good side of all this is that I'm actually enjoying cycling, which I really wasn't before!

If you've dropped the handlebars to pitch you forward, but also dropped the saddle, hasn't the latter put your pitch back where you started?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 am

I've not dropped the saddle as much as the handlebars...we're talking millimeters here.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 pm

I've been out on The Blacklight today, for the first time in three months. It was wonderful! I went out just in bib shorts and a jersey, no jacket, no thermals. What a gorgeous afternoon. It felt so good to be riding again that i unfortunately got carried away, and spent much of the second half of the ride wishing i hadn't gone as far. But it was still ace.

I saw lots of interesting things, including:

Wildlife - pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, even rats (which made me exclaim "bloody rats!" to myself) - and a couple of hares which were lovely.

Cars - loads of RS Clios, for some reason. And an orange Bond Bug.

And an actual inflatable sex doll, in a ditch. Extraordinary!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I wonder what proportion of inflatable sex dolls are bought for sexual purposes as opposed to pissing about on a stag night.

I was out on my bike earlier today too. It seems a shame not to use this good weather as much as possible because it'll be raining again soon enough.
spast1kunt

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

I was also out earlier. Sun's out, guns out.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 pm

thekungfury wrote:I was also out earlier. Sun's out, guns out.

I came out of my bedroom the other day in just jeans and my daughter said 'why have you got your boobies (cut pecs) out?' So I said 'sun's out, boobs out' and she yanked her trouser down and said 'sun's out, twinkle out!' . Made me lol.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 pm

I bought (yet another) new bike, so I've been out testing it out. Nice weather for it too.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:13 am

I've been out of the house five minutes and already I've seen two pelotons sweating along. All in their logoed clobber, and making the whole thing look even less appealing than ever. I must be a right misery to only want to ride on my own.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:22 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've been out of the house five minutes and already I've seen two pelotons sweating along. All in their logoed clobber, and making the whole thing look even less appealing than ever. I must be a right misery to only want to ride on my own.

That reminds me.

There was someone I saw in the hotel last week in fully logoed peleton clobber. Looked a right dick. But can those on here who know tell me, would cycling lycra have been comfortable clothing for 32C? Not cycling, just being
Dirk

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I've been out of the house five minutes and already I've seen two pelotons sweating along. All in their logoed clobber, and making the whole thing look even less appealing than ever. I must be a right misery to only want to ride on my own.

Not at all. I can't be doing with the whole 'suffer fest' thing. Fcuk that shit, I'm on a 100 mile solo ride today, the weather is fvcking wonderful.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Monty @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm just back from smashing out a 20 miler in an hour*
There are a few local guys who do runs at 'my kind of pace' but TBH I'd rather go out by myself for the moment. I get texts letting me know when they're going, but I've declined...so far at least.

I did St.Rava the ride this morning too now I've fathomed out how to work it!

* 1 hr 25
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by spast1kunt @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Cars - ...an orange Bond Bug.

I've just been out on the bike and I saw a Bond Bug too. WSC150K - http://bondbugs.co.uk/gallery.php?bb=WSC150K&p=1&s=1&st=W&n=

Also saw a Porsche 918 Spyder.
spast1kunt

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Dirk wrote:There was someone I saw in the hotel last week in fully logoed peleton clobber. Looked a right dick. But can those on here who know tell me, would cycling lycra have been comfortable clothing for 32C? Not cycling, just being

Lycra is used two-fold for cycling. It makes you more slippery to cut through the air and the fabric wicks sweat better than cotton. In theory the latter would help but you'd have to be a right bellend to wear them not cycling.

Being charitable he might have been about to ride or just back? Friends of mine go training in hotter climes (and climbs) during winter/spring.
thekungfury

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:. I must be a right misery to only want to ride on my own.

According to this thing 82% of my rides are solo. I used to be in a club but not for a couple of years so that figure is likely to be over 90% now. Happily so.

http://labs.strava.com/roster

I need to get back into some group stuff though as I'm riding to Paris in a couple of months.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:. I must be a right misery to only want to ride on my own.

According to this thing 82% of my rides are solo. I used to be in a club but not for a couple of years so that figure is likely to be over 90% now. Happily so.

http://labs.strava.com/roster

I need to get back into some group stuff though as I'm riding to Paris in a couple of months.

Ha, according to that I'm a "lone wolf", which is the sort of thing that makes me cringe a little bit about strava. My top training partner is my son though, which I'm quite pleased about.

e: what's this about Paris?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm

It's always handy to have at least one other rider, as when you're in their draught, you're saving 30 odd percent effort.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Monty @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 pm

The one and only time I've ridden with a wingman was a few weeks ago. I found it really off putting although I'm sure he was trying to position himself in such a way as to not interfere with my road position...but it did, as I was constantly aware of him in my peripheral which meant that I rode closer to the kerb to compensate, and give myself a bit of room.
I can only imagine it's much worse with a group! Although there is a kind of safety in numbers psyche to it as well I s'pose.
I think I did do a slightly better average speed, but that wasn't down to slip-streaming, it was me trying to keep up half the time...until I decided that I was going to ride at my speed and no one else's!
Monty

Post by Dirk @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am

thekungfury wrote:
Dirk wrote:There was someone I saw in the hotel last week in fully logoed peleton clobber. Looked a right dick. But can those on here who know tell me, would cycling lycra have been comfortable clothing for 32C? Not cycling, just being

Lycra is used two-fold for cycling. It makes you more slippery to cut through the air and the fabric wicks sweat better than cotton. In theory the latter would help but you'd have to be a right bellend to wear them not cycling.

Being charitable he might have been about to ride or just back? Friends of mine go training in hotter climes (and climbs) during winter/spring.

I was likewise charitable the first time. But evidence soon mounted that it was unjustified

He also wore a shortie wetsuit and sailing gloves to sail a hobie around the bay. And he was a bellend for that too
Dirk

Post by moleamol @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:13 am

Darthdeathdealer wrote:It's always handy to have at least one other rider, as when you're in their draught, you're saving 30 odd percent effort.

Is that your top tip for getting over 10mph?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 am

Damien Thorn wrote:e: what's this about Paris?

A group of us are riding London to Paris in June. I think there's about 25 riders plus 2 support vans. Fairly leisurely spread over 3 days so it'll be hard but not so hard that we can't enjoy the rides.
thekungfury

Post by spast1kunt @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Who's been out again today?

I didn't see any hypercars today but I did spot Phil Bennett. He doesn't look like this any more -

spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

spast1kunt wrote:Who's been out again today?

Yup, it was beautiful out. I was overtaken by two old routemaster double decker London buses. Together with the Bond Bug on Friday, i think we're seeing brexit starting to pull the country back into the past.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm

I haven't been out in months, I'm getting extremely pissed off with being too broken to ride. As soon as one thing get better something else explodes. Currently my left knee and calf are taking it in turns to be, literally, a fcuking pain. GP next week, hopefully something can be done to get me able bodied enough to get back in the saddle.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm

DI Burnside wrote: hopefully something can be done to get me able bodied enough to get back in the saddle.

Even then be careful. I wasn't injured before, but smashing out some massive rides over this weekend has left my perineum utterly battered. Finishing up my ride this morning i was standing up off the saddle purely to save my poor jacksie.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:Who's been out again today?

Yup, it was beautiful out.

Me too. Another lone wolf ride. Caught a lot of sun so I'm a little red and a little sore.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 pm

My leg has been better the last couple of days so I thought I'd go for a little trundle and see if it stayed intact. A gentle 6 mile squirt and I'm glad to say it didn't feel too bad so fingers crossed I can start doing a bit more soon.

Anyone got any recommendations for some 29" semi slicks ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:36 pm

moleamol wrote:
Darthdeathdealer wrote:It's always handy to have at least one other rider, as when you're in their draught, you're saving 30 odd percent effort.

Is that your top tip for getting over 10mph?

Haaaaaaa haaa hahaha ha ha h h h h.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 am

Cycling (to work or regularly) reduces risk of death significantly

But, during the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122
Strawman

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 am

Strawman wrote:Cycling (to work or regularly) reduces risk of death significantly

But, during the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122

I better start riding to the end of my garden then...
Careless Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports