All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

Risk of death is 100%
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am

Obviously, but I guess (without looking) that those in the study were below optimum death zone age, say <75.
Strawman

Post by Monty @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am

I'd better go and bang one out then!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

Monty wrote:I'd better go and bang one out then!

Well when you've finished doing that how about going for a ride on your bike too?
spast1kunt

Post by Monty @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 am

No, no! I meant...that.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:18 am

Strawman wrote:Obviously, but I guess (without looking) that those in the study were below optimum death zone age, say <75.

Optimum Death Zone sounds like a 1991 Jean Claude Van Damme straight to DVD blockbuster.

JCVD and his wife get lost on the way back from the theatre and drive into the bad part of town ruled by brutal crime boss Michael Ironside. A gang of hoodlums in double denim, fingerless mitts and leather caps hijack the car, kill his wife whilst he's battered and left for dead.

>training montage of JCVD getting back into shape with She's A Maniac playing<

I don't want to ruin the ending but he uses the line "Zone, out"
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 am

Laugh, now I've read the precis I feel I don't need to see the film.

ETA- I probably heard the phrase in an Everest article

The region above 25000ft on Mount Everest is known as The Death Zone. The reason for this is due to lack of oxygen at this height.

R.I.P. Green boots
Last edited by Strawman on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Monty @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I smashed out a 25 miler before lunch...my legs are aching now!
Monty

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Off out tonight, will be my fourth (properish/non-commute) ride of the year, been going with work colleagues. Have averaged about 18-19mph which is okay considering there's a girl riding with us.

Actually got another female joining us tonight on a sit up hybrid type thing, so I suspect we'll be going a fair bit slower for her (bless).

We're trying to make it a regular Thursday evening thing now the clocks have changed, which beats sweating it out on a spin bike at the gym!

Signed myself up for Triathlon in June, so need to get some miles in the legs on the bike and run, and to top it off, I've got a 2 week stint in USA to contend with right before the race #runfatso

PS, I saw this on Instagram..in love!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPSq34nB7WQ/?taken-by=wrenchscienceusa
dirtyboy

Post by Monty @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm

dirtyboy wrote:...Have averaged about 18-19mph which is okay considering there's a girl riding with us...

Jesus! You should be competing.
Oh...I see you are...

I'm quite chuffed with myself for just getting into the 15mph zone these last couple of rides.
Monty

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 am

I seem to have gotten into a vicious cycle of going out the the trails with the MTB on a Sunday and re-knackering my befucked ankle ligaments meaning it's too sore to ride the hybrid during the week but seems ok by Sunday so I hit the trails again...

Must try not to ride Sunday!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Strawman wrote:Laugh, now I've read the precis I feel I don't need to see the film.

ETA- I probably heard the phrase in an Everest article

The region above 25000ft on Mount Everest is known as The Death Zone. The reason for this is due to lack of oxygen at this height.

R.I.P. Green boots

Yellow boots.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Strawman wrote:Cycling (to work or regularly) reduces risk of death significantly

But, during the course of the study, regular cycling cut the risk of death from any cause by 41%, the incidence of cancer by 45% and heart disease by 46%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122

Unless you get run over by a tipper truck.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:I seem to have gotten into a vicious cycle of going out the the trails with the MTB on a Sunday and re-knackering my befucked ankle ligaments meaning it's too sore to ride the hybrid during the week but seems ok by Sunday so I hit the trails again...

Must try not to ride Sunday!

That's trail riding for you, you have to embrace your 'feminine' side, stick to road riding, the majority of road riders aren't batting for the other side, honest.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Ghost @ Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

Ghost

Post by Hooli @ Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:36 am

I see they don't mention the fat oaf in lycra on an expensive mtb that'd sink in to the mud if it ever went off tarmac. That's one of the most common around here.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Ghost @ Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 pm

RIP Michele Scarponi. Astana rider. Knocked off his bike by a van and killed on a training ride this morning, having finished a grand tour race yesterday. :(

Careful out there peeps.
Ghost

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Ghost wrote:RIP Michele Scarponi. Astana rider. Knocked off his bike by a van and killed on a training ride this morning, having finished a grand tour race yesterday. :(

Careful out there peeps.

Tragic, but road cycling is a risky business. It just shows how easy it is to become roadkill though. This was a highly respected professional racer, it can happen to the best of them. R.I.P.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Hooli wrote:I see they don't mention the fat oaf in lycra on an expensive mtb that'd sink in to the mud if it ever went off tarmac. That's one of the most common around here.

They pronounce 'bike' "boyk" round here. If the "boyk" isn't triangular shaped, with unnecessary suspension all over it, and cost less than a ton, it's not a "boyk".
Darthdeathdealer

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Just smashed out a massive ride. Knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/935111860
thekungfury

Post by Monty @ Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Well done!
I've just added to you're kudoses...
Monty

Post by moleamol @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 am

thekungfury wrote:Just smashed out a massive ride. Knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/935111860

:laugh:
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:10 am

Bellend cyclists

I was on a hilly sportive yesterday and half way round I encountered an utter shit of a climb. Roughly a mile of 10% with bits hitting 17%. I blew up halfway up and had to stop to push my lungs back in. Anyway I finally managed to grind my way to the top to join one rider and we waited for the rest of our group to get there when a logo'd chap cycled past, said "Here I go again" and turned around to ride back down the hill. I asked "Are you doing hill repeats?" and he replied "Yeah I'll probably do 5 today". I said "Fcuk, that thing nearly killed me!" and he "Nah that's not a difficult one. Not tough at all" just as he was passing my group which was slowly arriving either grinding or pushing their bikes.

What a fcuking prick
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am

thekungfury wrote:Bellend cyclists

I was on a hilly sportive yesterday and half way round I encountered an utter shit of a climb. Roughly a mile of 10% with bits hitting 17%. I blew up halfway up and had to stop to push my lungs back in. Anyway I finally managed to grind my way to the top to join one rider and we waited for the rest of our group to get there when a logo'd chap cycled past, said "Here I go again" and turned around to ride back down the hill. I asked "Are you doing hill repeats?" and he replied "Yeah I'll probably do 5 today". I said "Fcuk, that thing nearly killed me!" and he "Nah that's not a difficult one. Not tough at all" just as he was passing my group which was slowly arriving either grinding or pushing their bikes.

What a fcuking prick

Laugh. I fcuking HATE cyclists! I properly love cycling but hardly ever do it these days as I get so annoyed at the people who consider themselves Rouleurs or whatever.

I've resolved to do more MTBing this year as it's at least away from people.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Bellend cyclists

What a fcuking prick

Laugh. I fcuking HATE cyclists! I properly love cycling but hardly ever do it these days as I get so annoyed at the people who consider themselves Rouleurs or whatever.

I've resolved to do more MTBing this year as it's at least away from people.

It was a satisfying thing to pass by these lycra'd loinmonkeys going up a hill on my electric bike, in jeans, ideally still smoking a fag, a couple of years ago when they were still a rare sight and I still smoked. Mine was/is stealthy, everything being hidden n all.

One time I scaled past one of these slimy hufflepuffers in his forties, what with his calves all shaved and that. He shouted a breathless and frustrated 'Drugs!' to let me know he was onto my subversive plan for athletic perfection.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Yesterday a kid came out of his house in a JD Sport grey trackie on a pink POS Tesco full-sus probably stolen MTB. It was right towards the end of the ride and we were all struggling to get up this one last hill. He was on the pavement and pulled a one handed wheelie and kept up with us for about 20 metres. I hated and respected him in roughly equal measure.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

thekungfury wrote:Yesterday a kid came out of his house in a JD Sport grey trackie on a pink POS Tesco full-sus probably stolen MTB. It was right towards the end of the ride and we were all struggling to get up this one last hill. He was on the pavement and pulled a one handed wheelie and kept up with us for about 20 metres. I hated and respected him in roughly equal measure.

The other week I saw some punk wheelie a Boris bike right past a Police car at a set of traffic lights.

It was brilliant.
Deuteronomy

Post by Monty @ Fri May 12, 2017 2:25 pm

I've just smashed out a 20 miler after wearing my new shorts...

louis-garneau-neo-power-motion-short-black-yellow-EV230215-4600-1.jpg
louis-garneau-neo-power-motion-short-black-yellow-EV230215-4600-1.jpg (8.97 KiB) Viewed 468 times

At 65 quid they were a little more than I was happy paying, but hey ho! I can now do an hour & a half in the saddle without too much arse ache...and that, with only wearing one pair of padded shorts too now!
Having been given the (probably, nearly) all clear on Prostate cancer last week, I've been keen to try these babies out! Due to other related 'issues' I doubt I'm going to be up for much in the way of long-distance cycling. But the moral of the tale is that it is worth getting decent shorts, even if you're as stubborn as me!
Monty

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Any reason you didn't go for bibs? I used to find shorts rode (excuse pun) down my arse. Couldn't ride with anything but bibs now.

I agree with your general point though. Definitely worth spending on decent shorts (or longs). I realised the other day I'm up to 10 pairs now.
thekungfury

Post by Monty @ Fri May 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I didn't go for a bib due to the extra cost being a tight shit.
However, if I need to buy a second pair (for extra padding) I will get one as I've had success with my cheapo shorts & a bib'ed pair not slipping down when doubling up.
Monty

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports