The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

The cycling thread

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 pm

thekungfury wrote:Stolen you think?

Or selling a cheating hubby’s possessions?

Or is like the old saying “I hope when I die my wife doesn’t sell my bikes for what I told her I’d paid”?

It was listed with a detailed spec of all the components on it and wanting a quick sale, so it actually seems a legit fire sale, or the latter.
Last edited by minimoog on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimoog

Re: The cycling thread

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Someone got a bargain then. Damn.

As an aside a mate of mine recently got his bikes taken. A custom build Ti and a couple of Colnago were taken. They left his normal bikes so they obviously a) knew what they were doing and b) he was probably followed home.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by deev @ Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:09 pm

It's a bloody old bike, 2006 or something like that, it's a 26'' wheel one if I'm not mistaken and 3 or 4 suspension designs ago, the current ones are a 4 bar linkage. £200 is still a decent price considering the kit on it mind you.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by S1K @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 am

Some cnut has strung a piece of string across a cycle track I often use, hospitalising a cyclist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44396411

BBC News wrote:A cyclist was thrown from his bike after riding into a piece of string tied at neck height across a Swansea cycle path.

David Stacey suffered head injuries and spent a night in Morriston Hospital after being knocked unconscious at about 17:40 BST on Tuesday.

He was cycling from Killay to Gowerton on the Clyne cycle path near Oakwood Drive.

The incident is being investigated by South Wales Police.

Mr Stacey said he could barely remember what happened and added: "If I didn't have a good helmet on I would have been a goner.

"The string was roughly neck or shoulder height and I came off my bike. My head hit the floor and I was knocked out completely.

"All I can remember is that it felt like hitting an invisible wall. I can just about remember going through the air and then like a firework going off inside my head and that's it."

Three men stopped and phoned the emergency services.

Mr Stacey said there was sometimes tension between walkers and cyclists on the multi-use path, with some cyclists going too fast.

He said: "Protesting against cyclists going too fast or some sick prank could have resulted in a death or brain injury.

"There's a huge dent in my bike helmet - that could have been my skull."

A police spokeswoman said: "Cyclists in the area are advised to be vigilant and to report anything suspicious."

You could kill someone doing shit like this.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 pm

thekungfury wrote:Ace fun out yesterday at the Swinley Forest MTB trails. Extremely muddy from all the rain we’ve had and there are some wet sandy stretches which were like riding through wet sand.

Everyone else is there on a MTB so mine, which basically looks like a road bike, stood out like a sore thumb. I fear this bike is a gateway drug though and I’ll be buying a proper MTB at some point. I have 4 bikes and my wife will actually wound me if I get another.

ImageImage

Edit to change photos

I was at Swinley again today and tried out the red runs. fcuking hell, they’re technical, tricky and have big old drop offs on them. I’m not sure my old hardtail would have coped and it reminded me of motocrossing (hankering) and also made me think of you and the CX Bike -can it cope with these runs??
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Definitely not.

I went on a couple of blue sections and that was enough for me to realise it’s not suited to technical trails. The hard compacted stones on the berms and the big ruts and roots are really unforgiving. I’m sure an experienced off-roader with handling skills or someone who doesn’t care about breaking their bike would be fine but I really didn’t enjoy it tbh.

Elsewhere I love the bike. Bridleways, towpaths, fire roads etc. it’s brilliant and really flows along. I like going over to Swinley just for the lanes connecting the sections. It’s also good on things like the green you went round today, as evidenced with me being over 30s faster than you...
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 pm

:D

Still, managed to be 9 minutes quicker than you up a hill.

I hadn’t considered strava segments there...next time they’ll be trouble/#clavicle.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:20 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I went along the red routes in Bedgebury Forest. It nearly killed me, with regards to stamina. It was a totally different ball game to cycling on the roads, so difficult to negotiate the big tree roots, slippery gravel etc. I enjoyed parts of it but other parts were a killer. Hats off to you experts who do it regularly.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote::D

Still, managed to be 9 minutes quicker than you up a hill.

I hadn’t considered strava segments there...next time they’ll be trouble/#clavicle.

Ha!

I seriously ran out of gears up that bastard. That’s another problem with road gearing vs MTB.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I went along the red routes in Bedgebury Forest. It nearly killed me, with regards to stamina. It was a totally different ball game to cycling on the roads, so difficult to negotiate the big tree roots, slippery gravel etc. I enjoyed parts of it but other parts were a killer. Hats off to you experts who do it regularly.

Have you got a full sus Bike? Amazing things!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I went along the red routes in Bedgebury Forest. It nearly killed me, with regards to stamina. It was a totally different ball game to cycling on the roads, so difficult to negotiate the big tree roots, slippery gravel etc. I enjoyed parts of it but other parts were a killer. Hats off to you experts who do it regularly.

Have you got a full sus Bike? Amazing things!

God no. I'm borrowing a mountain bike from a friend at present. I'm a complete newbie to cycling but am enjoying it.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 am

I’ve found MTB stamina vs road to be difficult to adjust.

On the road you’re cruising along at a comfortable pace until you get to a hill. When you’ve done the hill you can just freewheel down it.

On a trail it’s so much more physically and mentally demanding. A few miles off-road gives you a workout that would need several on-road miles. More of a full body workout too whereas road you’re just using the arse down.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 am

Good to hear you're enjoying the cycling Doc Congo. I'm finding that it's just too hot to do as much as road riding as I'd like at the moment, to the point that I'm seriously considering going out in the middle of the night.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:26 am

thekungfury wrote:I’ve found MTB stamina vs road to be difficult to adjust.

On the road you’re cruising along at a comfortable pace until you get to a hill. When you’ve done the hill you can just freewheel down it.

On a trail it’s so much more physically and mentally demanding. A few miles off-road gives you a workout that would need several on-road miles. More of a full body workout too whereas road you’re just using the arse down.

Good point. Just going down a non-peddling trail is a workout on the thighs and arms!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:39 am

Velothon this Sunday in South Wales.

Total traffic chaos, people trapped in their homes for most of the day and businesses forced to stay closed because staff can't get to work.

I really wish they'd fvck off to mid-Wales and do it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:54 am

S1K wrote:Good to hear you're enjoying the cycling Doc Congo. I'm finding that it's just too hot to do as much as road riding as I'd like at the moment, to the point that I'm seriously considering going out in the middle of the night.

I’m going after 7 when kids in bed and temperatures seem perfect down here. Kungers is right though MTB trails killed me. My arms and core were killing me too as I needed to control the bike.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am

Il Duce wrote:Velothon this Sunday in South Wales.

Total traffic chaos, people trapped in their homes for most of the day and businesses forced to stay closed because staff can't get to work.

One day per year it brings around 15,000 riders to the area who need hotels, food and drink.
thekungfury

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:13 pm

If you’re riding trails on an XC MTB, you need to be setting the bike up ( suspension settings / steering geometry in particular ) to make the bike do most of the work. It’s much more tricky than setting up a road bike, there’s a lot more to it. If you get it wrong, your body will be taking unnecessary grief, and it will knacker you out. Get it right, and it’s far more enjoyable than pissing about on a road bike.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm

It’s one of the events that tends to lead to mass tampon ejection, amongst the non cycling population. I’m not a massive fan of these types of events, with the exception of the PRLS, because it’s an excuse for a weekend lash up, with a 100 mile closed road bike ride, on London and Surrey roads.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:01 pm

I cycle, so does my wife, so do my kids. Regardless I don’t appreciate being cut off for a day, unable to go anywhere with no consultation, pre-approval or even notification.
Käsemeister

Post by Baby Huey @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Used to live near Blackheath, starting point of the London Marathon. What a pain in the arse that was.

I did used to say they should just start putting repeats of old marathons on the TV, as absolutely nobody would notice.
Baby Huey

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Käsemeister wrote:I cycle, so does my wife, so do my kids. Regardless I don’t appreciate being cut off for a day, unable to go anywhere with no consultation, pre-approval or even notification.

I don’t see why you’d be consulted or that they’d need your approval. And no notification at all?

Is it the Birmingham velethon round your way? If so I’d be shocked if those directly affected by road closures aren’t notified well in advance. There must be signs up for a while at least?
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Twas exactly that, no one beyond Worcester was notified, we found out via the papers. As a result Herefordshire CC just outright banned it from crossing in to Herefordshire. Worcestershire CC allowed it but have refused a license for next year. I have absolutely no problem with the event, even the inconvenience, but just decreeing from on high that it’d happen was outrageous.
Käsemeister

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Twas exactly that, no one beyond Worcester was notified, we found out via the papers. As a result Herefordshire CC just outright banned it from crossing in to Herefordshire. Worcestershire CC allowed it but have refused a license for next year. I have absolutely no problem with the event, even the inconvenience, but just decreeing from on high that it’d happen was outrageous.
Käsemeister

Post by Baby Huey @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:29 pm

My Missus was pretty much in charge of the project that oversaw the planning and implementation of the cycle routes for the 2012 Olympics.

It really wasn't popular at the time but at least it was a one-off.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baby Huey

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 pm

That’s awful KM and I can understand the annoyance. I’ve done a few closed road events and if they include the locals then it becomes a party atmosphere. BBQ out on the streets and embracing it.

Sounds like poor organisation from the Brum one.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 pm

thekungfury wrote:That’s awful KM and I can understand the annoyance. I’ve done a few closed road events and if they include the locals then it becomes a party atmosphere. BBQ out on the streets and embracing it.

Totally, it was shocking. Farmers cut off from livestock for 12 hrs, carers being refused access to elderly or told they had to walk X miles etc.

So bloody frustrating as it was a great idea just badly handled. The mess afterwards was depressing too - two villages down from us the marshals just left stacks of used gel / bottles etc along with table and so on.

It seemed astonishing that they’d letter dropped everyone along the Brum sections but nothing whatsoever for Worcs / Hereford. Even the police found out by being asked for an interview on the BBC... what could have been a great regular thing rapidly fell out of favour on year one.
Käsemeister

Post by deev @ Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 am

Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:That’s awful KM and I can understand the annoyance. I’ve done a few closed road events and if they include the locals then it becomes a party atmosphere. BBQ out on the streets and embracing it.

Totally, it was shocking. Farmers cut off from livestock for 12 hrs, carers being refused access to elderly or told they had to walk X miles etc.

So bloody frustrating as it was a great idea just badly handled. The mess afterwards was depressing too - two villages down from us the marshals just left stacks of used gel / bottles etc along with table and so on.

It seemed astonishing that they’d letter dropped everyone along the Brum sections but nothing whatsoever for Worcs / Hereford. Even the police found out by being asked for an interview on the BBC... what could have been a great regular thing rapidly fell out of favour on year one.

There's a big charity cycle thing across scotland every year, it shuts down several town centres including the town where I grew up. Last year someone finally got fed up with it and chucked a load of tacs and nails over the road on the morning of the event and caused a bit of havoc. The local business owners hate it as they effectively get no trade on a Saturday.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by optionclick @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am

Just picked this up for a great price on eBay (2017 model year, so the shop wanted it gone).
It's a surprise for my eldest who is currently riding around clown-style on an outgrown Islabike.

Even better, once I sell the Islabike on this will have effectively cost me £25.

Last edited by optionclick on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
optionclick

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 pm

deev wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:

There's a big charity cycle thing across scotland every year, it shuts down several town centres including the town where I grew up. Last year someone finally got fed up with it and chucked a load of tacs and nails over the road on the morning of the event and caused a bit of havoc. The local business owners hate it as they effectively get no trade on a Saturday.

Why not have these events where they will cause the least amount of disruption?
Baby Huey

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports