The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Baby Huey wrote:
deev wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:That’s awful KM and I can understand the annoyance. I’ve done a few closed road events and if they include the locals then it becomes a party atmosphere. BBQ out on the streets and embracing it.

Sounds like poor organisation from the Brum one.

Totally, it was shocking. Farmers cut off from livestock for 12 hrs, carers being refused access to elderly or told they had to walk X miles etc.

So bloody frustrating as it was a great idea just badly handled. The mess afterwards was depressing too - two villages down from us the marshals just left stacks of used gel / bottles etc along with table and so on.

It seemed astonishing that they’d letter dropped everyone along the Brum sections but nothing whatsoever for Worcs / Hereford. Even the police found out by being asked for an interview on the BBC... what could have been a great regular thing rapidly fell out of favour on year one.

There's a big charity cycle thing across scotland every year, it shuts down several town centres including the town where I grew up. Last year someone finally got fed up with it and chucked a load of tacs and nails over the road on the morning of the event and caused a bit of havoc. The local business owners hate it as they effectively get no trade on a Saturday.

Why not have these events where they will cause the least amount of disruption?

Because that would make the route dull / uninteresting.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:That’s awful KM and I can understand the annoyance. I’ve done a few closed road events and if they include the locals then it becomes a party atmosphere. BBQ out on the streets and embracing it.

Sounds like poor organisation from the Brum one.

Totally, it was shocking. Farmers cut off from livestock for 12 hrs, carers being refused access to elderly or told they had to walk X miles etc.

So bloody frustrating as it was a great idea just badly handled. The mess afterwards was depressing too - two villages down from us the marshals just left stacks of used gel / bottles etc along with table and so on.

It seemed astonishing that they’d letter dropped everyone along the Brum sections but nothing whatsoever for Worcs / Hereford. Even the police found out by being asked for an interview on the BBC... what could have been a great regular thing rapidly fell out of favour on year one.

I lost all sympathy for them, when they put oil and nails all over the road. Fvcking cnuts.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Who put what on what road?
Käsemeister

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:16 pm

optionclick wrote:Just picked this up for a great price on eBay (2017 model year, so the shop wanted it gone).
It's a surprise for my eldest who is currently riding around clown-style on an outgrown Islabike.

Even better, once I sell the Islabike on this will have effectively cost me £25.

Buying last year's stock is what I did with both my bikes. From Sept/Oct onwards there are great savings to be had.

That bike looks almost like an MTB with drop bars to my non-expert eyes. Should be good for all sorts of different riding.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 am

Käsemeister wrote:Who put what on what road?

Some of the Locals, on a fast, twisty bit of the route, put oil and nails all over the road. The organisers dealt with it fairly swiftly, by covering the affected bit of the road with straw / sand, then getting one of those road sweeper vans to clear it up, but not before a few riders came off, punctured. It only effected the riders who paid for early starts, and the later starts were delayed, whilst the crap was cleared off of the road.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by optionclick @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 am

S1K wrote:That bike looks almost like an MTB with drop bars to my non-expert eyes. Should be good for all sorts of different riding.

Yup, it's a cyclocross bike - he had specifically asked for one, rather than a MTB
optionclick

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 am

DDD,
You haven't answered my question on the unpopular opinions thread as to whether the incident I pointed to was the one you complained about. Do I assume it was and you condone the cyclists in that case?
Dirk

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:57 am

Darthdeathdealer wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:Who put what on what road?

Some of the Locals, on a fast, twisty bit of the route, put oil and nails all over the road. The organisers dealt with it fairly swiftly, by covering the affected bit of the road with straw / sand, then getting one of those road sweeper vans to clear it up, but not before a few riders came off, punctured. It only effected the riders who paid for early starts, and the later starts were delayed, whilst the crap was cleared off of the road.

What are you talking about?
Käsemeister

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 am

Is DDD confusing what Deev said about an event in Scotland (I assume) with your event in the Midlands KM?
Dirk

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 am

Dirk wrote:Is DDD confusing

Indubitably.
Käsemeister

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 am

Dirk wrote:DDD,
You haven't answered my question on the unpopular opinions thread as to whether the incident I pointed to was the one you complained about. Do I assume it was and you condone the cyclists in that case?

I missed that one, I’ll have to go and see.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Just did 55 miles off road in Suffolk. You can ride this bike anywhere.

thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:59 am

I don't know what the fcuk is going on in that picture but I'm sure the tyre mark is supposed to come off the bottom of the actual wheels, not off the top of the shadow of them. And it's not supposed to come out both ends either.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 am

Pigeon wrote:I don't know what the fcuk is going on in that picture but I'm sure the tyre mark is supposed to come off the bottom of the actual wheels, not off the top of the shadow of them. And it's not supposed to come out both ends either.

Waves washed the tire marks away and the marks there are from a fellow cyclist?
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:45 am

Vampires don't have reflections, ghosts don't have shadows, is it zombies that don't leave tyre tracks?
Dirk

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:20 am

Impressive it can ride on sand Kung.

You can see tyre marks from his bike.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Baby Huey @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 am

Pigeon wrote:I don't know what the fcuk is going on in that picture but I'm sure the tyre mark is supposed to come off the bottom of the actual wheels, not off the top of the shadow of them. And it's not supposed to come out both ends either.

Maybe he was doing a bunny hop?

Even more impressive on sand.
Baby Huey

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am

The tyre track from Kunger’s bike is... erm.... behind his bike???
Käsemeister

Post by S1K @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 am

Käsemeister wrote:

The tyre track from Kunger’s bike is... erm.... behind his bike???

Sneaky fcuker.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:22 pm

The thicker tyre track was from one of the other riders on MTB. I was definitely leaving tracks.

About 2 minutes after that was taken the sand got really soft, my front wheel dug in and I face planted. Twice.

We only did beach riding for the first couple of miles. The rest was a load of bridleways, wooded paths etc.

The bike coped really well but I didn’t tbh. It’s a real bone shaker and it was so draining. We swapped bikes a couple of times and riding their Ti hardtails was lush.

Mine is great for a short 10-15 mile blast but I am too old for the hammering I took yesterday. I woke up this morning and began researching MTB.
thekungfury

Post by deev @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Whats the thing that looks like a used condom hanging off the back of your seat? I assume it isn't really a used condom.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

One of those scrotum lights?
manfromdelmonte

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:06 pm

It’s a used condom full of his gay husband’s jizz.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:12 am

Darthdeathdealer wrote:It’s a used condom full of his gay husband’s jizz.

Dallas
Doctor Congo

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am

thekungfury wrote:The bike coped really well but I didn’t tbh. It’s a real bone shaker and it was so draining. Mine is great for a short 10-15 mile blast but I am too old for the hammering I took yesterday. I woke up this morning and began researching MTB.

I did 40 miles on my gravel bike yesterday and the shoulder I twatted trying to ride it on ice in January was agony for the last 10, not helped by torrential fcuking rain that followed me for most of the ride home. Wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the steel framed Jamis I demo'd before I tried the Norco. It was sublime over Charleston's cobblestoned streets, but my head couldn't reconcile paying more for an old school steel bike vs a modern lightweight carbon one....

I'm back to thinking I need to change the gearing as >90% of the riding I do here is road or paved trails...

Currently I've got...

Shimano 105 CS-5800 11-32T 11 speed cassette coupled with a Shimano 105 FC-5800 50/34T crankset and a CN-HG601-11 chain. In my head, a simple fix would be swapping the 50/34 for a 52/36 up front and whacking a new chain on or do I swap the crank and add a 11/28 cassette?

I'm thinking just the crank would be enough for me, what say you lot?
HappyGoLucky

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm

How often are you spinning out? 90rpm in 50-11 = 32mph
thekungfury

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:How often are you spinning out? 90rpm in 50-11 = 32mph

Not that I'm spinning out per se, it's just I'm pretty much always up there. I don't have anything to measure rpm so I have no idea what I'm pedaling at, I'm not hitting 30 so it's obs not 90rpm.

Perhaps I should get a better understanding of what I am doing first, and then I can make a more informed decision?
HappyGoLucky

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

Everyone is different of course but typically 80-90rpm is considered the most efficient for road cycling. 90 feels the most natural for me. It takes a lot of torque away from the knees and seeing as I started cycling as knee surgery physio it’s important for me.

If you’re using a Garmin then a cadence sensor is a simple add-on without changing cranks etc.
thekungfury

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:06 pm

You’d be surprised how difficult it actually is to pedal at 90 rpms consistently throughout a range of gears. Especially if you’re on much more than a 50-20 ( or thereabouts ) ratio. I’ve recently got myself a Garmin 1030 with a cadence sensor. 90 rpms is the most efficient cadence physiologically speaking, and you should ideally be using your cadence sensors like the Rev counter on a car. Making sure you change gears in order to allow you to be pedalling at 90 rpms for as much time as possible. I set mine to beep at me when it sees the cadence drop below 80, or over 100. That seems to keep everything comfortable. It is amazing how much more torque is required to spin the higher gears at 90 rpm. I’d be interested to see the power graphs ( as power is the product of cadence and torque) as I’m going up the cassette trying to keep 90 rpms cadence. I used to ride fixed and SS quite a lot, and you can’t ride those as you do a derailleur geared bike. If you have to modulate your speed a bit on a derailleur geared bike, it’s most efficient to go for a lower gear and keep your cadence at 90. On a fixed / SS, you have to modulate speed by altering cadence. That’s quite a different feeling, and one so had a lot of difficulty getting used to, as I was subconsciously reverting back to a SS / fixed mentality.
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darthdeathdealer

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports