The cycling thread

All the other energetic stuff

Re: The cycling thread

Post by S1K @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Due to the superhuman raw strength of my legs I've just managed to tear straight through my rear derailleur hanger, resulting in the rear derailleur ending up stuck through the spokes of the rear wheel, the jockey wheel cage pretty bent and the chain describing some shapes it was never designed to achieve.

Anyone else done this before and do you think I'll get away with fitting a new derailleur hanger and straightening out the cage with a pair of Mole grips?
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm

S1K wrote:Due to the superhuman raw strength of my legs I've just managed to tear straight through my rear derailleur hanger, resulting in the rear derailleur ending up stuck through the spokes of the rear wheel, the jockey wheel cage pretty bent and the chain describing some shapes it was never designed to achieve.

Anyone else done this before and do you think I'll get away with fitting a new derailleur hanger and straightening out the cage with a pair of Mole grips?

Umm, how much you like clicking noises as you ride? I would imagine that if you use pliers to straighten the jockey wheel cage that is best best case scenario. Worst is that it will jump about.

Also, when you put a new RD hanger on, you want to make sure it is straight relative to the wheel. There's a long arm tool that bike shops use to do that. I'd let them have a go.
Greg66

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 pm

If you hear a noise a bit like those spokey dokey things, but you have no spokey dokey things on your spokes, it means your hanger is bent, and you’re about to end up with it going through your spokes, as you’ve just discovered. A hanger alignment tool is a useful thing to have, but if you don’t have a lot of bikes, or ride a lot of miles, it’s a bit of a false economy to buy one. A local bike shop will be able to do the alignment for a few quid.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 pm

I once managed to muster enough superhuman raw strength in my legs to break the sun wheel of a Sturmey Archer clean in half.

Somewhat disappointed when I took it apart (out in the gravel yard with a hammer and drift, fact fans) to find that the factory had pinned the sun wheel to the axle with a pin that was too short, so it only engaged with the hole in one side of the gear instead of both sides, neatly doubling the local stress and meaning that I had only had to muster half the amount of superhuman raw strength that would have been needed to break one with the correct pin in it.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Greg66 wrote: There's a long arm tool that bike shops use to do that. I'd let them have a go.

I've got one you can borrow if you're in the area...
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 am

Well, I've decided that the best course of action is to take it to my local bike shop and let them sort the fcuker out. They did say that it's a good job that the hanger broke or the superhuman raw strength of my legs (the pistons as Geraint and Chris admiringly refer to them) could have torn the entire planet asunder. They reckon that if it's just the cage that's bent they'll be able to straighten it but if the parallelogram of the derailleur is bent that'll need replacing too. Fingers crossed.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:43 pm

I am rapidly becoming convinced that aero-bars (where they are fitted close to stem allowing fore-arm to rest horizontally) should be banned for use on open roads (i.e. where not closed off to other traffic).

We have frequent events round here, and it is now common for people to be using these. There is the factor that you can't brake from there (which surely should make them illegal) but even worse many cyclists don't seem to be able to steer accurately enough from there. So you get a lot of wobbling, e.g. when they hit a bump.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Dirk wrote:I am rapidly becoming convinced that aero-bars (where they are fitted close to stem allowing fore-arm to rest horizontally) should be banned for use on open roads (i.e. where not closed off to other traffic).

We have frequent events round here, and it is now common for people to be using these. There is the factor that you can't brake from there (which surely should make them illegal) but even worse many cyclists don't seem to be able to steer accurately enough from there. So you get a lot of wobbling, e.g. when they hit a bump.

I’ve ridden them a fair bit and more or less agree. I regard people who ride them in dense traffic as mad. There’s a better case for riding them on TT courses (an especially dark underworld, that one) which are usually pretty straight A roads with a fair amount of room on them, minimal desire to brake and gaps between each rider.
Greg66

Post by Dirk @ Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm

I've seen them used on such courses and still see problems when they try and overtake or hit a small bump etc
(at least I assume that is the cause of the worst wobbles). They just can't correct accurately enough
Dirk

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Any stats for the accidents before calling for them to be banned?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

thekungfury wrote:Any stats for the accidents before calling for them to be banned?

I very much doubt there are any of such a specific cause. Just what I see when the MAMILs are out around here frequently
Dirk

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:02 am

Dirk wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Any stats for the accidents before calling for them to be banned?

I very much doubt there are any of such a specific cause. Just what I see when the MAMILs are out around here frequently

If they have a number on their back then they are time trialing. Racing in other words.

When the rider is on the open road then bollocks to you as a car. If you are unable to cope with a cyclist avoiding a pothole or wobbling due to being caught in a cross wind then that is the drivers issue for being either too close behind or too close over taking.

If someone is down on aero bars on a normal road bike, using clip ons, in a populated area then the cyclist is question is an idiot as you are right they are running the risk of being unable to brake in time for the inevitable pedestrian leaping into the road, car doors opening, motorists pulling out without looking, etc ad nauseum.

But ask yourself this as a motorist....... how ready are you to brake when fiddling with the radio, sat nav, voice control, hands free, shouting at your kids, any other thing in the car? No worse than a cyclist on their aero bars to be honest.

I've seen more motorists all over the road due to playing with their phones which is an act that is illegal. Yet bugger all is done. Riding a bicycle with aero bars is not illegal.

fcuking idiot on aerobars

Gnostic Ascent

Post by deev @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:06 am

Gnostic Ascent wrote:
When the rider is on the open road then bollocks to you as a car. If you are unable to cope with a cyclist avoiding a pothole or wobbling due to being caught in a cross wind then that is the drivers issue for being either too close behind or too close over taking.

Pointless being the most correct man in the cemetery.
deev
Banger King

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 am

Dirk what are your thoughts on horses being allowed on the roads?
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am

thekungfury wrote:Dirk what are your thoughts on horses being allowed on the roads?

It would depend on the modifications to the car. And they'd have to pass a test like humans.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 am

deev wrote:
Gnostic Ascent wrote:

I was thinking pretty much the same thing when I read that post

thekungfury wrote:Dirk what are your thoughts on horses being allowed on the roads?

I've yet to meet a horse rider who has deliberately modified their horse to make it more dangerous...
Last edited by Aesgarth on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Aesgarth wrote:I've yet to meet a horse rider who has deliberately modified their horse to make it more dangerous...

Rodeo rider?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Greg66 wrote:
Dirk wrote:I am rapidly becoming convinced that aero-bars (where they are fitted close to stem allowing fore-arm to rest horizontally) should be banned for use on open roads (i.e. where not closed off to other traffic).

I’ve ridden them a fair bit and more or less agree. I regard people who ride them in dense traffic as mad. There’s a better case for riding them on TT courses (an especially dark underworld, that one) which are usually pretty straight A roads with a fair amount of room on them, minimal desire to brake and gaps between each rider.

Perfectly suited to time trials for all the reasons you state. Madness in other situations. But ban them, and people will just copy the pros with there arms resting on the top of the bars, hands flopping in front.

Anybody riding them in town or in a bunch should be shot for bringing the image of cycling into disrepute anyway.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 pm

deev wrote:
Gnostic Ascent wrote:

The point really being it doesn't matter if you are on aero bars or straight bars if a driver can't manage a wobble from a cyclist it is the car drivers issue. Blaming it on someone else is what everybody appears to do now. Car drivers swerve also to avoid holes get caught in the bow wave of heavy vehicles etc. Do we stop car drivers from doing so?

Cyclists wobble. That is just what happens. Regardless of whether the cyclist or the car wants us to. Horses veer around as someone else said. Pedestrians step out unannounced.

I might the the most correct man in the cemetery but I will not stop doing a simple thing like riding a bike because OMG I wobble sometimes.
Gnostic Ascent

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:01 am

Aesgarth wrote:

I've yet to meet a horse rider who has deliberately modified their horse to make it more dangerous...

That wasn’t the point as I suspect you know
thekungfury

Post by Dirk @ Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Of course car drivers should allow for cyclists wobbles. As someone who nearly didn't walk again as a result of some bastard knocking me off my bike (when I didn't wobble) I agree vehemently.

But cyclists (and horse riders) have responsibilities too. And being in control is one of those. With the increase in use of aero-bars by the not so good on open roads, I dont think that it is any longer the case. I doubt there is any statistical evidence for people driving with their knees being dangerous, but police have still prosecuted people.

Even on time trials, if aerobars are banned for all (as is taking your hands off the bars) then it disadvantages no one.
Dirk

Post by deev @ Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Gnostic Ascent wrote:The point really being it doesn't matter if you are on aero bars or straight bars if a driver can't manage a wobble from a cyclist it is the car drivers issue.

Yeah! Right on! Look at this cyclist teaching this car driver a lesson! That'll learn 'im!
Last edited by deev on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:20 am

That cyclist appears to be without a bicycle....
HappyGoLucky

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:08 am

Depends.

Baby Huey

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Funny road rage incident this afternoon. On a width restricted bit of road an Audi TT forced his way through giving me less than a foot of space. His passenger window was open so I called him a prick.

At the next set of lights there is a cyclist box at the front so I went round all the cars and timed it perfectly as the lights turned green. When the TT passed me this time he swerved right at me as a "punish pass" and accelerated up to the next set of red lights. I was going to hang back behind him to avoid further metal vs flesh confrontation then I realised there was a cycle lane on the left going into a park so I rode up the inside, emptied the rest of my water bottle onto his crotch and turned down the lane, laughing like a loon.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Hehe
Käsemeister

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:42 pm

:laugh: nice.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:42 pm

Good. But would've been better if you had Red Bull instead of water.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:17 pm

tanglerat wrote:Good. But would've been better if you had Red Bull Urine instead of water.

IFTFY.
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darthdeathdealer

Post by Gnostic Ascent @ Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 am

thekungfury wrote:Funny road rage incident this afternoon. On a width restricted bit of road an Audi TT forced his way through giving me less than a foot of space. His passenger window was open so I called him a prick.

At the next set of lights there is a cyclist box at the front so I went round all the cars and timed it perfectly as the lights turned green. When the TT passed me this time he swerved right at me as a "punish pass" and accelerated up to the next set of red lights. I was going to hang back behind him to avoid further metal vs flesh confrontation then I realised there was a cycle lane on the left going into a park so I rode up the inside, emptied the rest of my water bottle onto his crotch and turned down the lane, laughing like a loon.

I like this lots but avoid doing so myself as it counts as assault.
Gnostic Ascent

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports