Mercedes A35 AMG

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Re: Mercedes A35 AMG

Post by S1K @ Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm

The little Yaris my mother just got was the same. All the models got a reversing camera but sensors were extra. It came with lane departure warning and automatic radar braking as standard too because apparently they contribute to the NCAP score.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 am

Il Duce wrote:Another disappointing thing is that I have a very good reversing camera but no reversing sensors. Really odd. And shit.

Same in mine. It has 4 cameras and a 360 top down view but no actual sensors. Really weird after a decade of audible cues.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:34 am

thekungfury wrote:Same in mine. It has 4 cameras and a 360 top down view but no actual sensors. Really weird after a decade of audible cues.

I would crash park that I reckon, I'm so reliant on them now. I wonder if cameras are now cheaper than sensors.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm

I don't have any cameras, but I'm totally dependent, when reversing, on the pingers in the Saab.
CJ+

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Same in mine. It has 4 cameras and a 360 top down view but no actual sensors. Really weird after a decade of audible cues.

I would crash park that I reckon, I'm so reliant on them now. I wonder if cameras are now cheaper than sensors.

Without the beeps I'm parking like a pensioner at moment. I can't believe 2 ultrasonics are more expensive than a camera. My feeling is that Merc do this on purpose to make you buy a "Pack" with the sensors included. Bloody Germans!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

I found out after ordering that they’re a dealer fit option and only something like £350 so I was furious when I found out. Also annoyed finding out charging cables are an optional extra, again after ordering. It comes with a 3-pin charger but not with one for the pod chargers.

I’m getting used to the cameras and when parking in bays it’s actually really good as it shows how far inside the lines you are. Overall though I’m really missing the bleeps, especially in such a behemoth.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:43 pm

That's an annoying oversight. I love the 360 camera in those Outlanders, I reckon I could convince my wife it used a drone.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:29 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

I found out after ordering that they’re a dealer fit option and only something like £350 so I was furious when I found out. Also annoyed finding out charging cables are an optional extra, again after ordering. It comes with a 3-pin charger but not with one for the pod chargers.

I’m getting used to the cameras and when parking in bays it’s actually really good as it shows how far inside the lines you are. Overall though I’m really missing the bleeps, especially in such a behemoth.

Have you changed your car?
Doctor Congo

Post by S1K @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:06 pm

S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 am

To try and cure the massive road noise, today I had a set of Dunlop MAXX sport tyres fitted.
These are 68db as compared to 73db of the Contis it came with.

First impressions between two roundabouts is promising. I shall report after a more conclusive test.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:57 am

Il Duce wrote:To try and cure the massive road noise, today I had a set of Dunlop MAXX sport tyres fitted.

First impressions between two roundabouts is promising. I shall report after a more conclusive test.

Interested for when it's time to change my tyres. The P Zeros it's on aren't the quietest.
minimoog

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:16 am

Synchronicity. I've just ordered 4x Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres for the Saab.
CJ+

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Il Duce wrote:To try and cure the massive road noise, today I had a set of Dunlop MAXX sport tyres fitted.

Jesus wept that’s an enormous difference.
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Käsemeister wrote:

Jesus wept that’s an enormous difference.

I know.
I'm hoping it's like the difference between an angry woman and one that's asleep.

Another thing.....our regular tyre fitter said the Dunlop sidewalls were like cement. "Harder than runflats to fit"
It's likely I've cured the noise but fvcked the ride.

Everybody cross your bloody fingers ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm probably going for Eagle F1s when the time comes, seem to be the best combo of review ratings and price.
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

Ah well, the Dunlops have sort of improved the noise. It's totally silent on good tarmac but noisy as hell on bad stuff. The ride doesn't seem quites as good but I think I might just be imagining it after the tyre fitter told me about the cement sidewalls.

Called Mercedes Cardiff and they were very happy for me to drop in any time for someone to listen to the noise BUT they said A35's were known for their tyre noise. Also my nephew was over from Italy and he said his friends A35 was the same. I read all of the roadtests and not one mentioned the noise.

I've also been on an MB forum asking the same question. The odd person was helpful but on the whole they were a bunch of cvnts: "just turn up the music" "take the monster to the Nordschlief - 3 to 4 laps will burn out those tyres and then you can fit quieter ones" FFS!

So it looks like I'm screwed but only myself to blame. Remind me to test drive the next bugger ok?

That aside I found that I can change the screen in front of me to anything that can be put on the centre screen- I'd thought I could only have the speedo/rev counter but I can put Nav, radio, phone etc.

I've also found the live tyre monitor which shows the live pressure and even the temps of each tyre. Amazing!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am

I've found another annoying thing.

There is a lane departure warning. This intervenes if you wander over the white line. It also intervenes if you try to change lane without signalling. It is a bastard. I tried to join a deserted DC last night it physically tried to stop me crossing the dashed line form the slip to the main. I had to have two or three goes before it let me cross it. It also tried to stop me going back into lane 1 after overtaking a truck and not signalling to go back in. It went BING BING, lit up the dashboard, shook the steering wheel and tried to turn me back into lane 2. It's a bastard.

Turn it off?

Oh yes. Go into settings. Turn off. Relax.

BUT. It will turn itself back on. But not after you turn the engine off. Well sometimes it will. Sometimes it'll do it mid journey. As a surprise. Sometimes it'll go for a couple of days.

It's a bastard.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 am

I had that lane departure shit on a hire car recently. The first time it happened I thought the power steering was failing. It's awful and bloody dangerous. I couldn't find any way to turn it off in the car I had either. I imagine it was possible but as I only drove it for two days I wasn't compelled to search around for the settings.
ttwiggy

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 am

Il Duce wrote:I've found another annoying thing.

There is a lane departure warning. This intervenes if you wander over the white line. It also intervenes if you try to change lane without signalling. It is a bastard. I tried to join a deserted DC last night it physically tried to stop me crossing the dashed line form the slip to the main. I had to have two or three goes before it let me cross it. It also tried to stop me going back into lane 1 after overtaking a truck and not signalling to go back in. It went BING BING, lit up the dashboard, shook the steering wheel and tried to turn me back into lane 2. It's a bastard.

Turn it off?

BUT. It will turn itself back on. But not after you turn the engine off. Well sometimes it will. Sometimes it'll do it mid journey. As a surprise. Sometimes it'll go for a couple of days.

It's a bastard.

fcuk me, that's terrifying....imaging doing a swift overtake and not being able to get back in....misjudge that fcuker and it doesn't let you back in and it's curtains.
dirtyboy

Post by desertweasel @ Wed May 01, 2019 1:18 pm

ttwiggy wrote:I had that lane departure shit on a hire car recently. The first time it happened I thought the power steering was failing. It's awful and bloody dangerous. I couldn't find any way to turn it off in the car I had either. I imagine it was possible but as I only drove it for two days I wasn't compelled to search around for the settings.

I had it on a Volvo s90 I hired, no briefing at all from Eurocar so had no idea what was happening, by the end though was used to it and it does at least enforce indicating which has to be a good thing
desertweasel

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Il Duce wrote:I've found another annoying thing.

Turn it off?

It's a bastard.

I had this on the RS6 and experienced exactly what you are talking about, even on twisty Aroads. It was borderline dangerous and I hated it so much. I turned it off in the main settings like you and nothing happened. And then periodically it would go away for a while randomly and I would breathe a sigh of relief. Then it would just come back on for seemingly no reasons. Actually spoiled the car for me it was so shit.
And then I discovered that there was a tiny button on the end of one of the stalks (maybe the cruise control one) that turned it on and off that I would periodically catch with a finger making me thing it was turning on and off at random. Have a look at that ID
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Il Duce wrote:
MB forum says that it's a safety feature and can't be permanently disabled. Which is contradictory if you think about it. If it really was a safety thing it shouldn't have an off button at all.

I have a cunning plan. The system works using a camera near the rear view mirror, to look at the lines (also used to look at the speed limit signs)
Now concentrate because the next bit is science and technology.

I shall tape up the fvcker.

FY MB!

Balls! The camera is situated behind the mirror stalk and is within the arc of the wiper so it's game over.
Last edited by Il Duce on Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 01, 2019 4:37 pm

I’ve had it on hire cars too and really hate it. Really disconcerting and potentially dangerous. There was an option pack on my PHEV which had radar cruise control but it also came with lane thing so I unticked it.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:03 pm

I had it on a hire car a while back, an Insignia of all things.

However, I was able to overcome the resistance using my man arms.
DI Burnside

Post by minimoog @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:15 pm

DI Burnside wrote:However, I was able to overcome the resistance using my man arms.

<turns to look at ID and raises eyebrows>
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:18 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I had it on a hire car a while back, an Insignia of all things.

All those years at the stud farm finishing off stallions into a jar finally paid off then.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Il Duce wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I had it on a hire car a while back, an Insignia of all things.

All those years at the stud farm finishing off stallions into a jar finally paid off then.

Good point ID, maybe try steering with your mouth.
DI Burnside

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:33 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

:rofl: Nice!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Good point ID, maybe try steering with your mouth.

:rofl:
minimoog

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 01, 2019 7:25 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

:rofl:
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

PreviousNext

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!