03 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE - Owned

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Re: 03 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE - Owned

Post by deev @ Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
deev wrote:Anyone know any daft overly sentimental tw@ts that just called the scrappy ro say leave their hyundai because they just bought an engine off ebay? Anyone?

Ya wee daftie!

This is fairly accurate.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 am

deev wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
deev wrote:£100 to take it away, no idea if that's good or not and I'm not that fussed if I could have got more, didn't have the time to be calling about. Kinda sad about it, it was a shit car really, it fell to bits all the bastard time and was a bit of a running joke about how much time I spent fixing bits of it or waiting for it to get back from the garage but it was the car I had when I met the missus and it drove us about on dates and stuff so it had a sentimental attachment to it. it was on 120k miles and was 14 years old so it had a decent innings making it through the 7 years of Glasgows soaking wet weather and salt covered roads.

I'm amazed.
You managed to pull in a Hyundai Coupe?
There IS hope for DDD to get laid talk to a woman who's not the Queen.

Unfortunately I look like a Greek God and he, erm, doesn't.

True. He looks like a Greek dog.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by deev @ Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 pm

It's...Alive!
Apparently I have a garden bed to dig up, a raised flower bed to create, a house to decorate and a heating issue to track down. But I think sorting the sticky rear caliper on the hyundai sounds more fun. I just need to remember how to do it first having not done it for ages.
deev
Banger King

Post by S1K @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm

What did you have to do to resurrect it Deev?
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

deev wrote:It's...Alive!
Apparently I have a garden bed to dig up, a raised flower bed to create, a house to decorate and a heating issue to track down. But I think sorting the sticky rear caliper on the hyundai sounds more fun. I just need to remember how to do it first having not done it for ages.

Raised flower bed you are waiting for correct sleepers/wood

Digging garden bed is waiting for the raised flower bed

Heating you have just gone round and bled all the radiators and then re-checked pressure, you need to wait a few days to see if that sorts it first

Thus you might as well work on the car now to get that out of the way
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by deev @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 pm

spast1kunt wrote:What did you have to do to resurrect it Deev?

Buy an engine off ebay then give a man some money to put it in the bit where the old broken one was. Was going to get the old one rebuilt but it was cheaper to buy a new engine. Well, its an old engine but only had 60k on it, the old one had 120k. Engine swaps are well beyond my skills. It's going to go into the garage so I can sort various wee bits an bobs in peace and semi warmth, sadly the garage is still a bit of a mess so the cars buried under about a foot of snow now.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm

as an aside when I opened the boot it seems they left a spare wheel and tyre in there for some reason, handy.
deev
Banger King

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm

That's because it's not the same car.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:56 am

Dirk wrote:Raised flower bed you are waiting for correct sleepers/wood

Digging garden bed is waiting for the raised flower bed

Heating you have just gone round and bled all the radiators and then re-checked pressure, you need to wait a few days to see if that sorts it first

Thus you might as well work on the car now to get that out of the way

Indeed. Here speaketh an expert in domestic PR.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 am

deev wrote:Engine swaps are well beyond my skills.

Highly unlikley. Beyond your tools maybe, but swapping a like for like engine is not a technically difficult task.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by deev @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Aesgarth wrote:
deev wrote:Engine swaps are well beyond my skills.

Highly unlikley. Beyond your tools maybe, but swapping a like for like engine is not a technically difficult task.

definitely beyond my tools. I have a drill and some spanners and thats about it. This is an excellent excuse to buy more.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 pm

bay after engine removed
new one before fitting
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Right, so front half of the garage cleared and Hyundai inside. Had a quick check over it and made a list of jobs that'll likely get added to as I go...
1) Sort left rear caliper that's stuck
2) Scrape off the underside rust, paint and waxoyl it.
3) Depending on the above, potentially replace rear subframe, seems pretty flakey, it did just pass it's MOT though so maybe not too bad.
4) Sort out door locks, central locking and imobiliser that now doesn't work after engine swap
4) Find out where the leak thats filling the spare wheel well with water is coming from. Think it was a blocked drain hole that I've now cleared bit needs checking.
5) Sort bodywork rust:
i)boot lock surround
ii)rear wheel arches
iii) leading edge of bonnet
6) Refurb wheels/ get some of the v6 17's off ebay and refurb them
7) tart up interior

Really looking forward to this, I've always wanted a garage and a car to muck about with. Plus, as I said to the wife, this will save us money when I buy a broken Porsche and can then fix bits of it myself. In other news house still needs decorated blah blah.
deev
Banger King

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am

Deev, I think it's great that you're getting stuck in - not 100% sure about your choice of project, but if you're passionate about it then it doesn't matter.

You'll need an engine crane...
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:43 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Deev, I think it's great that you're getting stuck in - not 100% sure about your choice of project, but if you're passionate about it then it doesn't matter.

:biglaugh: Take the hint deev. Get a new car at once.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Bodhi @ Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Deev, I think it's great that you're getting stuck in - not 100% sure about your choice of project, but if you're passionate about it then it doesn't matter.

Says you with that abomination on your drive.
Bodhi

Post by deev @ Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 pm

I know, it's not a very good car, even if it were perfect, it's the emotional attachment. Plus if I fcuk it up it doesnt really matter so by the time I buy an old porsche to fix I'll be much better at things. Maybe.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 am

Turntable wrote:

Ive got a Kia Rio too, I'd tell you about it in a thread of it's own but zzzz
deev
Banger King

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:54 am

Interested to hear how you get on with this. I’ve recently started doing mechanics on a motorbike and was excited to be getting into all the new garage action.

Sadly, it’s not panning out like I hoped. I pretty much ruined a carburettor last night and the things that are meant to unscrew never do without a fight, whilst things that are meant to work, don’t, and things that are meant to fit aren’t available etc and the whole thing has left me quite angry and frustrated. I thought I’d choose something that didn’t matter rather than something I was relying on, so I wouldn’t care so much but I do care, and I’m furious that things don’t work as they are meant to.

Hate.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

Disastrous wrote:Interested to hear how you get on with this. I’ve recently started doing mechanics on a motorbike and was excited to be getting into all the new garage action.

Sadly, it’s not panning out like I hoped. I pretty much ruined a carburettor last night and the things that are meant to unscrew never do without a fight, whilst things that are meant to work, don’t, and things that are meant to fit aren’t available etc and the whole thing has left me quite angry and frustrated. I thought I’d choose something that didn’t matter rather than something I was relying on, so I wouldn’t care so much but I do care, and I’m furious that things don’t work as they are meant to.

Hate.

You artistic types just aren't suited to being on the tools.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 am

Disastrous wrote:Interested to hear how you get on with this. I’ve recently started doing mechanics on a motorbike and was excited to be getting into all the new garage action.

Hate.

So you've got some garage action going on and you haven't started a thread on it? FFS!

Even the shouty Italian bloke with the gay scooter things is doing a thread, and it's grown from a simple sticking new bits onto an old thing job into a proper build thread and is a surprisingly good read.

Disappointed!
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 am

It’s honestly not worth a thread.

It’s purely my prize Chinese motorcycle which hasn’t started on the starter since I got it. I’m trying to trace the fault but everything just ends up more broken than it was before and I hate it now.

It’s getting perilously close to the point where I wheel it as is to the back of the garage, drape a cloth over it and pretend I don’t own it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 am

Is that the one you won, D?
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:

Hate.

So you've got some garage action going on and you haven't started a thread on it? FFS!

Even the shouty Italian bloke with the gay scooter things is doing a thread, and it's grown from a simple sticking new bits onto an old thing job into a proper build thread and is a surprisingly good read.

Disappointed!

Damn you! My scooter is NOT gay!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

Disastrous wrote:It’s honestly not worth a thread.

It’s purely my prize Chinese motorcycle which hasn’t started on the starter since I got it. I’m trying to trace the fault but everything just ends up more broken than it was before and I hate it now.

It’s getting perilously close to the point where I wheel it as is to the back of the garage, drape a cloth over it and pretend I don’t own it.

Unfortunately you need the help of manuals that keenos have written and forums full of the same keen people where you can get advice. Also your bike is chinese and too new for there to be parts readily available unless you move to China and learn Mandarin.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 am

CJ+ wrote:Is that the one you won, D?

Yeah. It’s been great so far. Ha.

ID is right, but I can’t bring myself to speak to the keenos and read their manuals and actually just want people who know about this stuff but are also nice normal people to talk me through it.

Also, Halfords are just the worst cnuts. Our DT gave me some good chat and I went to get some gasket paper on his advice. The Halfords cnuts didn’t have it but talked me into some instant/liquid gasket stuff. I queried if it would be suitable for a fuel system and was told it would be. It wasn’t. It’s now gunged up the float bowl with black shit and because I tried to start it, probably sucked it into it as well. Why are they such hopeless lying cnuts? Why is it beyond my expectations to get someone who works somewhere to know what they’re selling??
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am

Disastrous wrote:

ID is right, but I can’t bring myself to speak to the keenos and read their manuals and actually just want people who know about this stuff but are also nice normal people to talk me through it.

Also, Halfords are just the worst cnuts. Our DT gave me some good chat and I went to get some gasket paper on his advice. The Halfords cnuts didn’t have it but talked me into some instant/liquid gasket stuff. I queried if it would be suitable for a fuel system and was told it would be. It wasn’t. It’s now gunged up the float bowl with black shit and because I tried to start it, probably sucked it into it as well. Why are they such hopeless lying cnuts? Why is it beyond my expectations to get someone who works somewhere to know what they’re selling??

Fcuk, that's a ball ache.

I can post you some if you like?
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

Fcuk, that's a ball ache.

I can post you some if you like?

I’m just about to ‘pull the trigger’ on some from Amazon but considering just getting a new carb!

Hold on, I’ll text (u hun xx)
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Previous

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!