2011 Nissan Pathfinder tekna

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

2011 Nissan Pathfinder tekna

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I suppose the first question is why?

A few reasons really. We recently handed back a company VW Touareg, and whilst it was fantastic to drive, the running costs were ridiculous. The VAG build quality was a bit absent and it chewed through transfer boxes, a gearbox, engine mounts and other bits. Admittedly the wife did once park it on top if a frenchmans 350z which was a bonus.

We wanted a large 4x4 as we still have a house in the middle of nowhere in Luxembourg that is a work in progress, so moving bits and pieces and not getting bogged down are actually valid arguments. My back prefers the upright seating position. And the wife would drive a transit. I also needed a decent tow vehicle and at 3000kgs this is one of the best.

We tried just about every 4x4 out there. The soft roaders generally lacked headroom. The local land rover dealership did themselves out of a sale and out if sheer frustration of a wife unable to pick a car I stopped when passing a nissan dealer and tried a pathfinder, whilst my wife wittered on about a quasqua. I'd driven one before, and hated it. That was a 2008 model and it was uncomfortable, slow (very) and very noisy.
Anotherconvert

Re: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder tekna

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Interior

The car had a face lift/makeover in 2010 and the interior is a huge improvement over the old one. Image

The equipment level is very high, there are no options on this model bar colour choice and bike racks.

Xenon lights, 4 zone climate, 7 seats, Bose sourced audio, a decent satnav pack, electric memory seats etc.

The front seats are almost as comfortable as my Saab seats, supportive with what feels like decent leather. Only gripe is that the heated seats are not that strong.

Massive improvement in the back, that used to be not much better than a bench seat, those are very comfortable with a fair bit of adjustment in them.
Anotherconvert

Post by Rod Rammage @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

wat
Rod Rammage

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Did you try a Q7 out of interest?

I'm 6'2 and can have the seat at its highest without my head touching the roof (with panoramic sunroof too).
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Performance.

Well, it's big and heavy.

I've done just over 500 miles including a bit of green lane near us, just to see.

It's very good off road, the switchable 4 wheel drive with proper low range gives it an edge over more road biased cars. It hasn't git the articulation of a land rover, but then it was about half the price.

On road is a bit different. Best I can liken it to is a face lifted discovery. You can feel the weight all the time, which isn't surprising. This one has the updated 190hp engine and it can jog along at a decent pace, but you have to be prepared to give it a bit of stick. Spoke with a mate who does chip tuning and a safe 220 remap is available (230 if you fancy a gamble) which I'm thinking about.

The gearbox is the main problem, and there is a map to help here. The gearbox shifts up too quickly and is reluctant to drop two gears at once. I know the reason, fuel economy, but it makes the car feel a bit cumbersome.

However, I should keep in mind that it isn't meant for going quick. It's meant to keep up with traffic whilst pulling a post office behind it.
Anotherconvert

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Anotherconvert wrote:The local land rover dealership did themselves out of a sale

Not surprised. Second only to BMW dealers for astonishing ineptitude.

Me: Hello I'd like to buy a Range Rover V8.

Salestwat: Lovely cars sir, so much faster and quieter than the diesels and for much the same economy but everyone buys the diesel so we can't sell them.

Me: Yes. I see you have three on your forecourt.

Salestwat: Indeed sir, we can't sell them.

Me: Yes. I'd like to buy one. A V8 one.

Salestwat: We can't sell them sir, no one wants them.

>gives up and walks out<
Käsemeister

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Ride and Handling

The ride is good overall.

I don't think the bigger wheels do it many favours, but it is composed and a relaxing place to be. Under acceleration engine noise is pretty intrusive but on a cruise it's not bad at all.

Handling is much as you'd expect. Except, in an effort to make the car feel more road biased nissan have made the turn in incredibly sharp. This leads to the car pitching in hard and some people (yes wife, I'm looking at you!) 'saw' at the steering and the cornering gets choppy. Keep things smooth and things are much better.
Anotherconvert

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Second Marine wrote:Did you try a Q7 out of interest?

I'm 6'2 and can have the seat at its highest without my head touching the roof (with panoramic sunroof too).

Afraid that was the one car the wife hated. Looks alone, she liked the Q5 but I couldn't get a decent deal on one.
Anotherconvert

Post by Anotherconvert @ Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Overall.

I'm pretty impressed with it as a package. The comfort levels have improved no end. We do a fair few miles and are pretty used to having fuel cards, uk prices came as a big change! This thing is getting just over 32mpg and that is during the 'give it a thrashing to see what it will do' period.

Decent road presence and ok road manners, coupled with a proper 4x4 set up are big plus points. The noise and slowness are the minus. But it's quicker than the TD land rover and no louder than the Micra. (Really, but that was at 11/10's everywhere and still posed no risk to your licence)

The boot is massive, much bigger than the touareg, and it has a full sized spare.
Anotherconvert

Post by HeavySoul @ Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 pm

I find myself attracted to one of these.

Best not read your review properly just in case it reinforces my desire ;)
HeavySoul

Post by Anotherconvert @ Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Honestly, for the money it is a good option. With 3 years manufacturer warranty and servicing squeezed out of them plus a tow bar, dog guard, mats and a tyre change I was pretty happy at 23k for what is a very lightly used car.

I could have got a new one for 32, but no extras and a crap colour in the wife's opinion. So and extra 300 on the cage, 800 on the detachable tow bar, 100 on the mat set and whatever the tyres were worked out at~ 11k for a car that had done 5k fewer miles. As this will be kept for 5 years minimum I couldn't see the attraction of brand new.

I compare that with a similar spec'd land rover and it's pretty scary.
Anotherconvert

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!