VW Adolf ROLF- owned

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

VW Adolf ROLF- owned

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:11 am

Ok, so the white cvntman has gone to new (poor bastard) home and now the black Golf R has taken it's place.

Well, I drove it home 5 miles from the dealership and it is much faster than the C. This was confirmed later when I took Paris for a ride and she said her tummy went all funny when I accelerated hard. There is a RACE button which when pressed, as far as I can tell, does fvck all except make the exhaust a bit louder, so I left it on normal. Outside it looks quite menacing. Inside it is very nice and nothing rattles and everything fits. There are storage compartments everywhere. It has so many gadgets (that the C didn't) as standard I spent and hour sat on the drive fiddling with it all. It has a car phone (my first)-cool! It has dual zone climate control-good. It has parking sensor things-ok. It has auto cruise control- set it at 80- car pulls out on m-way- Rolf slows down and keeps pace- car pulls in- Rolf goes back to 80. Bonkers! It has DAB radio- meh! It has puddle lights in the mirrors- cool! It has bending lights that light up going around bends and corners. It has a active distance thing which will stop/slow the car if it thinks you're going to rear end another car-meh. It has auto hill hold- cool! Electric handbrake-cnut. The mirrors are MASSIVE but the bit's of glass are fvcking tiny- cnut! Seats are comfortable. Steering wheel has many buttons on it- cnut. Gearchange is very good.
Settings- there are settings for everything in the "infotainment centre" and I mean everything. I can change the level of the dash lights-ok. Footwell lights- ffs? Kickplate and door illumination- oh piss off. The A/C has three settings in the setup menu- low medium strong- what? Why? so it's set on what? yes medium. There is a mini screen in-between the speedo and rev counter and you can choose what it shows- meh. In the MODE menu there is ECO NORMAL RACE and individual, the latter you can adjust things JUST for you. I gave up finding what because there is no difference between the first 3 apart from a very slightly noisier exhaust- shit. I've forgotten how many other things you can adjust and set but it's ridiculous.

Anyway- is it better than the Cvntman? Looks- no. Speed-yes. Engine noise-no. Handling- it grips but it doesn't have as much feedback. Seats are nicer. Gearchange is nicer. Lights are better. Brakes- no idea, they seem good but haven't tried them in anger. The few things I can say for sure are: it will be cheaper to run and when tradesmen turn up at the house, they will not stick 20% on every fvcking bill, also women will not try and sleep with me because of the car I drive. Not that it's ever happened anyway.

I'll report more as I think of it/discover it.
Last edited by Il Duce on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Re: VW ROLF- owned

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:15 am

Good. How long will the tyres last?
Strawman

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 am

Being as your attitude prior to its arrival was "Its just a golf- I can't get excited" are your first impressions better than that or still the same?

Secretly I thought you would be pleasantly surprised but Im curious.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 am

Strawman wrote:Good. How long will the tyres last?

Longer than that fvcking Porsche and they're only £100 each as opposed to £270. Bargain!!!!!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by foo @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am

A friend of a friend has one of these with a REVO stage 1, and by all accounts (I've not been in it but my mate has) it is astonishingly, unbelievably quick. I think they're pretty good.
foo

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:30 am

Turntable wrote:Being as your attitude prior to its arrival was "Its just a golf- I can't get excited" are your first impressions better than that or still the same?

Secretly I thought you would be pleasantly surprised but Im curious.

I'm a bit excited but that is the novelty factor of: all the gadgets/a new car. On the whole it's just as I thought it would be- maybe a little better built, a little faster and a little quieter than I expected but it does everything I need a car to do and it does it very well- Think Hunter wellies.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by 10 Pence Short @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:41 am

Doesn't it have 40 exhaust outlets or something? Even though it's quite properly fast, it seems a bit showy-offy, having so many exhausts.
10 Pence Short

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:42 am

Sounds good ID and I'd really like one myself now.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:45 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Sounds good ID and I'd really like one myself now.

You'll pay a lot more for one now. The cheap Golf R lease train has sailed.
minimoog

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:47 am

minimoog wrote:

I know, I'm kicking myself. bitsadface
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 am

10 Pence Short wrote:Doesn't it have 40 exhaust outlets or something? Even though it's quite properly fast, it seems a bit showy-offy, having so many exhausts.

4 exhaustholes. Silver mirrors.

But considering how little taste ze Germans usually have (think- German shoes, Dis's GF)we should be amazed how much of the car they got right.

Oh and the silver mirrors can be ordered in black as a no-cost option... but I found out too late- cnut!!!!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Pictures please, you know the drill...
Deuteronomy

Post by WalMitty @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:57 pm

It does sound like you are warming to it ID.
I'm still really interested in the estate version that is coming out next year.
Bit concerned about the number being nicked though, and I can see the estate being even more desirable as a gettaway car.
WalMitty

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm

I like that a lot, well done ID.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Agreed. Even with the silver mirrors it's pretty understated for what it is.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Yep, like that.
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Agreed. Even with the silver mirrors it's pretty understated for what it is.

Good. I'm fed up of being noticed.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 pm

I think that is superb ID. Im actually more jealous of that than your Cayman, even though I have always previously thought golfs were a bit crap.
Im won over now.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Turntable wrote:I think that is superb ID. Im actually more jealous of that than your Cayman,

Really? I'm amazed.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by moleamol @ Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
minimoog wrote:

I know, I'm kicking myself. bitsadface

Me too, if the fcukers had told me on the 30th when I enquired that they were cnutting the price I'd have ordered it there and then.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Well, having been half hearted about the fvcking golf, it's now growing on me. It does silly fast at the twitch of a foot. It also does 32mpg and the combination of this, a slightly smaller tank (but a better range) and lower petrol costs sees me putting in only £55 instead of £85 that the Cvntman used to take. Fvcking A!!!

Just ordered 4 snow tyres for £400, which is not even the price of TWO cvntman tyres!!! Yeah!!!

The stop/start thing is good and it has auto/hold, so when you pull up to the lights and pop it into neutral the engine stops and the brakes are applied, then just a dip of the clutch and we're off with no fvcking about with the handbrake which is electronic and shit. I explained to Paris that the electronic handbrake will stop the car when ( and not if, she said) I have a heart attack, so we had a practice session- bonkers! Pull the lever and the car car just stops dead and in a straight line, no lock up and then goes BEEP from the dashboard!

Seats are super comfy and the ride is superb and it's super quiet- My annual trip to Italy is going to be a doddle!

Things I still hate- those fvcking sliver mirrors- Yeah lets put massive mirrors on it so it looks like fvcking Dumbo and THEN let's paint them silver so they look even bigger! Twatkrauts!

Ok. Back soon with more boring shit.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I always find it funny when people quote a £ figure for filling up their car and compare it to another car as if that means something.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:18 pm

TKF wrote:I always find it funny when people quote a £ figure for filling up their car and compare it to another car as if that means something.

I know what you mean but over 7 years it was always the same when the light came on- £78-84 for the Cvntman. Rolf- £55.
And the range when full was 380 miles while the C was never more than 350. So I can further and faster for less money.

Well, it was a happy moment for me ok!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Piquet @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:19 pm

That looks superb, ID. Understated yet intimidating. Like Oddjob's hat, but in a good way.
Piquet

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Reading things like this thread make me want to have a new new car. I don't normally mind clonking about in my old ruin, but do get a pang of newthing envy at stuff like this. Well done ID, I think it looks and sounds brilliant and I'm well pleased for you. I listened to a man on the radio yesterday evening who said that people have just started buying new cars again due to their perceived lack of financial squeezing now, and it made me remember that I haven't had a new new car since 1998.

Please keep telling us more about your ROLF, even if it feels a bit boring to you.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Piquet wrote:That looks superb, ID. Understated yet intimidating. Like Oddjob's hat, but in a good way.

LAUGH
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Having a new co. car every 3yrs has really spoiled me and taken the shine off. When I get them passengers always remark "Ooh, new car smell" for the first month. I miss that excitement.

First world problems.
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Well fvck me! I found out how to make the passenger mirror drop and give me view of the kerb when I select reverse. OK, not world shattering but I had it last on a car back in 2005 and it's nice.

Also, I saw a slot in the glove compartment and found out it was for an SD card.
64mb, duly purchased for £25, formatted to FAT32 after some messing about, and then I stuck all of my Itunes content on it with loads to spare: Apparently it will take 16,000 songs!
So no big folder of CD's, that I have to mess with, (cd in-cd out- one handed) when I go to Italy now, just one tiny card.
AND when I slotted it into the car, it worked!!!! Brilliant!

Finally, it seems to be getting faster. So fast that you go, "oh shit" when the turbo kicks in... and keeps pulling... and pulling.
Also I have revved it up to over 7000 and still not found the rev limiter. Bonkers!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:13 pm

I like that you liking it more ID - will you get bored quickly do you think?
Deuteronomy

Next

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!