Owned: A6 TDI

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Owned: A6 TDI

Post by blackburied @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:47 am

Well.. Never said I would own an Audi due to image,however, The sheer amount of buttons in the fcuking thing means I do.

The original pre-reqs were Estate, Diesel, Cruise. This has all of them and a funky stereo/satnav/homing beacon system. 140tdi means it wont pull the skin off a rice pudding but it does waft along at 90 in relative silence compared to the last shitbox.

Bought for 5.5k it was fairly cheap but came with Full Audi SH, matching contisports all round, serviced last in January, Mot'd in Feb. 3 Months Engine,turbo,box warranty(Like it means anything), 112k miles, Last owner for umpteen years. Seems it never really wanted for much and now goes faster due to the Italian Tune up it got on the way home from Macclesfield.

Anyway, its an Audi estate, millions on the road, drives like any other. Fully suspect now I own it to combust into flames, injectors pop, oil pump failure, then I will sell it to the fella on here who likes buying broken cars.

blackburied

Re: Owned: A6 TDI

Post by Rod Rammage @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:50 am

Best thing about Audis in the little colour screen between the speedo and rev counter.
Rod Rammage

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:50 am

blackburied wrote: Fully suspect now I own it to combust into flames, injectors pop, oil pump failure, then I will sell it to the fella on here who likes buying broken cars.

:rofl:
Käsemeister

Post by Turntable @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:08 am

Nice car. I like it.
5.5k seems like good value. Are you pleased?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:21 am

I have a thing for estates, I shall add this to the list of possibles when I change next
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by blackburied @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 am

Rod Rammage wrote:Best thing about Audis in the little colour screen between the speedo and rev counter.

The satnav puts the directions up on there. The missus: "Why have you got the speed on the screen when you have a dial" So you can fcuking see it love.

Turntable wrote:Nice car. I like it.
5.5k seems like good value. Are you pleased?

Yup. She will actually drive this one, Dogs get in and out easy enough.

Wants a droplink or something on the drivers side, cant shut the passenger window from drivers controls. Neither are really bothering me yet so can wait.
blackburied

Post by onomatopoeia @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:00 pm

blackburied wrote: Fully suspect now I own it to combust into flames, injectors pop, oil pump failure, then I will sell it to the fella on here who likes buying broken cars.

At least something similar to that lot happened to my A6 estate (fuel pump failure, which is obscenely expensive on the 2.5 v6 tdi, then a few months later the engine exploded*, which is even more expensive). Therefore, it won't happen to you as it has already happened to me, or something.

*not strictly accurate, but it needed a replacement engine.
Last edited by onomatopoeia on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onomatopoeia

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

I really like that bb. I would prefer the tip auto because sciatica but really nice.

e: 25 degrees!? What are you, my wife?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by blackburied @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 pm

25 because it was freezing after walking the pooches round this at 7am

It is a really nice car to drive. Not exciting but sticks much better than I expected it to.

onomatopoeia wrote:

At least something similar to that lot happened to my A6 estate (fuel pump failure, which is obscenely expensive on the 2.5 v6 tdi, then a few months later the engine exploded*, which is even more expensive). Therefore, it won't happen to you as it has already happened to me, or something.

*not strictly accurate, but it needed a replacement engine.

I read all of the TDI horror stories on the net and it worries me. I shouldn't really, I should be enjoying the car and the fact that if it goes wrong I can return it.
blackburied

Post by blackburied @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:25 pm

ETA: The bluetooth in these seems to be a right pain with anything newer than an iPhone 4

Managed to fettle my Nexus 6 into finally connecting earlier with some RSAP Android software to fool the car into letting me work it. Still not made a test call but its progress.

I'll take a picture of the glovebox later as there seems to be all sorts of mystical cables and USB ports in there. I wonder if I just plug a USB stick in some tunes might appear.
blackburied

Post by Strawman @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:25 pm

blackburied wrote:25 because it was freezing after walking the pooches round this at 7am

I was going to ask had you bought the car from some travellers and had they thrown the dags in to sweeten the deal?

Last edited by Strawman on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Barbarianna @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I would prefer the tip auto because sciatica but really nice.

Avoid the CVT auto. Audi apparently being pursued cos so many of these go wrong, including very recent ones.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/audi-cvt-settlement-covers-64000-cars/

Had mine go wrong, and found out it is a bewilderingly complex system with any number of parts that can cost ££ to fix.
The gearbox ECU is inside the box. Thats about 1k. The clutch plate is a 6 plate thing that needs upgraded to 7. About 2k. Etc. easily up to 5k from audi.

The rescue for me who a mad mad genius Polish guy who lives in Avonmouth and fixes these full time in his back yard. Even people from France trailer their audis there because it works out cheaper. Been going fine for 60k miles now.

The only auto worth getting is the conventional auto they put on quattro models. 2wd CVT is a nono.

Ok? Got that off my chest.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

OK!!!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by blackburied @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm

I were warned off of the CVT's and told DSG or nothing. Also on the no list was a DPF as my mileage isn't massive it would probably go wrong for me.

Oh, my hands free works properly and sounds pretty good. Fixed for £1 and didn't need an expensive fiscon box nor cradle.
blackburied

Post by moleamol @ Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 pm

It looks like a nice place to be and it would efficiently deal with a nice cruise.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Firkin @ Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 am

blackburied wrote:Fully suspect now I own it to combust into flames, injectors pop, oil pump failure, then I will sell it to the fella on here who likes buying broken cars.

Don't jinx yourself FFS, a quick look at your cars history reveals its had 8 warranty/recalls already!! :crying:
Firkin

Post by moleamol @ Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 am

That just means everything is fixed!
moleamol

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:13 am

Rod Rammage wrote:Best thing about Audis in the little colour screen between the speedo and rev counter.

Mine used to bug the shit out of me. I'd always have it set to Speed with a few other things showing too but every time you set a new nav destination, the middle screen doubles up what the main one's saying and you had to click about 4-5 times on a button to take you back to your normal screen. Quite annoying and you just don't need two lots of instructions.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:14 am

moleamol wrote:That just means everything is fixed!

Well quite - the recalls apply to every car like that made, not just this one.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

Mine used to bug the shit out of me. I'd always have it set to Speed with a few other things showing too but every time you set a new nav destination, the middle screen doubles up what the main one's saying and you had to click about 4-5 times on a button to take you back to your normal screen. Quite annoying and you just don't need two lots of instructions.

On my old A4 quattro, the middle screen always just used to shrilly scream that the screen wash was low like a horrid vorsprung durch fishwife.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by blackburied @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am

Update: Previous owner must have had some spare cash. Expensive iPod,USB Stick,Bluetooth music thingy stuffed in the glovebox.. Lovely :)

Any ideas on where the locking wheelnut lives? Right maze of cubbyholes.
blackburied

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am

blackburied wrote:Update: Previous owner must have had some spare cash. Expensive iPod,USB Stick,Bluetooth music thingy stuffed in the glovebox.. Lovely :)

Any ideas on where the locking wheelnut lives? Right maze of cubbyholes.

On my old Audi I think it was in the boot, in a foam thing that holds the jack etc.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Barbarianna @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:36 am

Locking nut is in the spare wheel well usually though Im not sure about the estate.. In mine it sits in its own little moulding in all the polystyrene shapey stuff above the wheel. Alternately it will be in one of the plastic kidney-shaped boxes alongside the spare wheel where other spare wheely stuff hides.
Barbarianna

Post by Barbarianna @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:38 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:On my old Audi I think it was in the boot, in a foam thing that holds the jack etc.

Screw you for making my attempt to help appear all naff and over-thoughtful.
Barbarianna

Post by moleamol @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 am

Norman D. Cheese wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:On my old Audi I think it was in the boot, in a foam thing that holds the jack etc.

:D
moleamol

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 am

Damien Thorn wrote:e: 25 degrees!? What are you, my wife?

I hired a car this week and when we got in the temperature was set to 28. 28!!
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 am

Norman D. Cheese wrote:

Ha!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:55 pm

TKF wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:e: 25 degrees!? What are you, my wife?

I hired a car this week and when we got in the temperature was set to 28. 28!!

Obv a Jamaican cleaned the car before you got it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by onomatopoeia @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:57 pm

blackburied wrote:Any ideas on where the locking wheelnut lives? Right maze of cubbyholes.

Mine is the previous iteration, but it is in the boot, passengers side in a pull-away panel just in front of the rear light cluster. There is the toolbox with the jack etc and the wheelnut adapter lives in there.
onomatopoeia

Post by blackburied @ Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:46 pm

hmm.. reckoned to have a look. can find the jack & spanners, screwdriver but no locking nut.

fcuksocks.. might give audi a call for a new one.
blackburied

Next

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!