Driven: Renault Megane SW

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Driven: Renault Megane SW

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 04, 2016 10:17 am

I was given one of these as a hire car last week.

My Rolf, with the rear shelf removed took 3 large suitcases and 1 hand luggage in the boot, this took all of that plus another hand luggage so not that big. Outside it looks shit. Inside looks like a downer just took all the buttons and smashed them into the dashboard in a post ear-touch rage. The interior layout and design of switches was a disaster with a tiny unreadable radio at the bottom of the centre console and a massive tomtom stuck on the dashboard. Tiny stupid buttons everywhere. I found the steering wheel radio volume control on the second day as it was so well hidden. The switch to initialise the cruise control was mounted between the seats behind the handbrake and was discovered as I parked the car to return it and the fvcking car phone refused to pair. It was quite nippy and I've no idea about the MPG but it didn't seem that impressive. It had a stupid key that looked like an oversize credit that you had to put into a slot THEN press the start/stop button- what a waste of time.

So all in all a disaster BUT.... the ride/handling was very impressive. On the autostrade it wafted along like a big luxury saloon and when I got to the bumpy twisty mountain roads just before home it was staggering. The ride remained like a magic carpet and the handling was precise and flat with no wobbly dipping through the corners and no understeer. Even big bumps failed to unsettle it. The roadholding was amazing too: egged on by my mad aged father we pushed it hard through a long hairpin and it just took it as well as my Cayman. The only downside was that my aged mother slid right across the rear seat and ended up in the footwell behind me. Oh how we laughed!

So there you go. 5 minutes of your time wasted. Thanks for reading.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Re: Driven: Renault Megane SW

Post by Strawman @ Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 am

Il Duce wrote: The roadholding was amazing too: egged on by my mad aged father we pushed it hard through a long hairpin and it just took it as well as my Cayman. The only downside was that my aged mother slid right across the rear seat and ended up in the footwell behind me. Oh how we laughed!

So there you go. 5 minutes of your time wasted. Thanks for reading.

I like those 3 last sentences better than most car reviews.
Strawman

Re: Driven: Renault Megane SW

Post by Hooli @ Wed May 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Il Duce wrote:BUT.... the ride/handling was very impressive.

It's a strange thing renault manage to do, it's almost as if it's got something to do with not fitting rock hard suspension like the ze germins do.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!