New arrival C63 AMG

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Re: New arrival C63 AMG

Post by dirtyboy @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:15 am

I've lost a lot of my interest in cars recently but one of these came alongside me at the weekend and I really really liked it. Sounded awesome and I thought about it for the next couple of miles whilst driving along......infinitely longer than when a McLaren passed by...

Top choice.
dirtyboy

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 am

Deuteronomy wrote:[
Hmmm, that's interesting - I think it may have a different 'box to mine, yours being a fluid flywheel torque converter, mine is a wet clutch pack (and to be honest is a bit harsh which is why MB never use 1st unless in sport modes).

What are the full throttle changes like? On mine it's like a fcuking gunshot going off.

Worth checking to make sure it's had all the latest software updates.

Definitely not like a gunshot going off. Absolutely seamless and you barely notice the change. I think. I cant quite remember and it hasn't irritated me enough to scrutinise it, its just a bit nothing
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:38 am

dirtyboy wrote:I've lost a lot of my interest in cars recently but one of these came alongside me at the weekend and I really really liked it. Sounded awesome and I thought about it for the next couple of miles whilst driving along......infinitely longer than when a McLaren passed by...

Top choice.

Cheers. Ultimately that experience made me want one. On full acceleration it sounds a bit like a spitfire. Absolutely love it.
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am

Turntable wrote:The fact that on full acceleration you lose traction in first and second gear.

That's a thing that makes me a bit wary of these uber-powered Mercs. I'm guessing that's in the dry too. Exiting a greasy roundabout enthusiastically could lead to some nasty interior stains.

Slower though the S8 may be, it is pretty difficult to unsettle, even trying quite hard.

Although: what tyres have you got on it, TT? ISTR that when I first had the S8 it had some end of life second tier tyres on it which I could spin a bit in tight corners. I put Goodyear Asymmetrics on it and it's a lot happier.
Greg66

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:42 am

Turntable wrote:
dirtyboy wrote:I've lost a lot of my interest in cars recently but one of these came alongside me at the weekend and I really really liked it. Sounded awesome and I thought about it for the next couple of miles whilst driving along......infinitely longer than when a McLaren passed by...

Top choice.

Cheers. Ultimately that experience made me want one. On full acceleration it sounds a bit like a spitfire. Absolutely love it.

:D Really pleased for you!
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:49 am

Greg66 wrote:That's a thing that makes me a bit wary of these uber-powered Mercs. I'm guessing that's in the dry too. Exiting a greasy roundabout enthusiastically could lead to some nasty interior stains.

Slower though the S8 may be, it is pretty difficult to unsettle, even trying quite hard.

Although: what tyres have you got on it, TT? ISTR that when I first had the S8 it had some end of life second tier tyres on it which I could spin a bit in tight corners. I put Goodyear Asymmetrics on it and it's a lot happier.

Decent tyres with plenty of tread. I don't actually mind it that much as it adds to the hooligan aspect and I am not realistically going to go mental enough on corners to meet any nasty end. Although I cant seem to exit my drive at 630 am without wheelspinning in the gravel which is also a good thing.
Turntable

Post by Barbarianna @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

c63 Remap!

From this outfit:
http://www.jrtuning.co.uk/articles/c63-amg-remap-tuning.shtml
Dunno what they are like as a company. Do your research FFS, Im not doing everything for you.
Barbarianna

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:32 am

The TX gearchanges are smooth in auto mode, pretty brutal complete with chuff-pop in sport on the paddles. Ridiculously overbrutal on downchanges if left in sport auto.

Back in the day in the M5, gears 1 and 2 were pretty much useless, 3 was where it was all at. Judging by my experience with that you will need to keep on top of the rear tyres and snow or mud will be.... entertaining.
Käsemeister

Post by Hooli @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:22 pm

I do like these, a proper AMG.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Barbarianna wrote:c63 Remap!

From this outfit:
http://www.jrtuning.co.uk/articles/c63-amg-remap-tuning.shtml
Dunno what they are like as a company. Do your research FFS, Im not doing everything for you.

Trapezoidal torque graph, more typical of a forced induction setup. These aren't forced induction are they?
Darthdeathdealer

Post by moleamol @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:37 pm

That's the before. AMG artificially limit the torque to try and stop people being killed dead.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Dirk @ Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:56 pm

moleamol wrote:That's the before. AMG artificially limit the torque to try and stop people being killed dead.

Good point.

Do you think given TT's history of nearly killing himself with anything more powrful and dangerous than a clockwork kitchen timer, do you think we should remap the AMG to give even less power?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 am

AMG to OMG

Good. Didn't anyone else notice?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Dirk @ Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Ever since this thread, most websites I look at seem to throw adverts for AMGs at me.

I blame TT
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:59 pm

A quick update. Nothing much to report.
I love this car still. It is a surprisingly civilised beast day to day although power vs traction is abhorrent but I find myself not really minding. I snuck a look at my economy the other day and it was 12.6. Ouch. But that is purely local driving and braking/accelerating to hear the engine.
Obviously I cannot be arsed to read manuals so I have some questions for Deuts:

1) Your 'hold' thing works perfectly. Good tip (not a question)
2) I am surprisingly enamoured by the voice controls. They work really well. You can have it on the radio and simply say "95.8" and it will go to Capital. Although irritatingly you cant say "Capital" and it goes to capital.
Also, I cant work out what to say to get it back to bluetoothing music from my phone. Can you give me some useful keywords to use.
3) On the mode button it has C (comfort) S (Sport) S+ and M(Manual) and then further round it has the letters RS. What does that mean and how do you select that mode?
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm

12.6mpg is terrifying/satisfying
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Turntable wrote:A quick update. Nothing much to report.
I love this car still. It is a surprisingly civilised beast day to day although power vs traction is abhorrent but I find myself not really minding. I snuck a look at my economy the other day and it was 12.6. Ouch. But that is purely local driving and braking/accelerating to hear the engine.
Obviously I cannot be arsed to read manuals so I have some questions for Deuts:

1) Your 'hold' thing works perfectly. Good tip (not a question)
2) I am surprisingly enamoured by the voice controls. They work really well. You can have it on the radio and simply say "95.8" and it will go to Capital. Although irritatingly you cant say "Capital" and it goes to capital.
Also, I cant work out what to say to get it back to bluetoothing music from my phone. Can you give me some useful keywords to use.
3) On the mode button it has C (comfort) S (Sport) S+ and M(Manual) and then further round it has the letters RS. What does that mean and how do you select that mode?

As for point (3), are you sure the RS isn't just the description of what the button does, as in Ride Select or something?
Last edited by GingerNinja on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:03 pm

GingerNinja wrote:As for point (3), are you sure the RS isn't just the description of what the button does, as in Ride Select or something?

I thought it might be too, but it is too alluring and I can't help thinking it somehow makes the car lightweight and better.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 pm

thekungfury wrote:12.6mpg is terrifying/satisfying

Exactly how I feel, bizarrely. I take a peculiar pride in how awful it is.
Until I need to do a long journey and work out it will cost me £50000000000000 to pop to York
Turntable

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:14 pm

Turntable wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:As for point (3), are you sure the RS isn't just the description of what the button does, as in Ride Select or something?

I thought it might be too, but it is too alluring and I can't help thinking it somehow makes the car lightweight and better.

Rampantly Sexual.

It puts Barry White on the stereo, a disco ball drops discretely from the roof lining, and a crackling fireplace pops up on the media screen.

Awwwwww yeaaaahhhhhhh.
GingerNinja

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:19 am

DT, answer my questions at once.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:51 am

Turntable wrote:DT, answer my questions at once.

Soz, was busy.

RS is Race Start, it sets everything to cnut and you can use it to do a perfect standing start. Worked well when I took mine up Prescott hill in the summer.

I think it's "media interface" you say to get it to that menu for BT (agreed, the voice controls are really good).

With the phone, you just say "call name" and then it asks you for the name. If there's more than one with the same name it'll present you with a list, you can then just say the corresponding number.

Look in the boot, it probably has little handles that drop down from the deck lid area to hook shopping bags etc onto to stop the fcukers sliding around.

Mine has the park assist but I've not tried to use it, you got that far?
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:56 am

The 'call name' doesn't seem to work on mine. Do you need to programme the numbers in or should it be able recognise them on your phone?
How do you turn it to Race Start?
I haven't got park assist I don't think but I will def check that handle business
Last edited by Turntable on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:26 am

Turntable wrote:The 'call name' doesn't seem to work on mine. Do you need to programme the numbers in or should it be able recognise them on your phone?
How do you turn it to Race Start?
I haven't got park assist I don't think but I will def check that handle business

Nope, reads them off the phone and does text/voice recognition.

On mine, I just turn the knob to RS.

Does it have a blue 'P' in the digital display? Like this:

Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:33 am

Yes I have the P- what does that mean?

The RS I can't turn it too. Once it gets to Manual, continuing to turn it does nothing i.e. it turns but doesn't move round to RS
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Turntable wrote:Yes I have the P- what does that mean?

The RS I can't turn it too. Once it gets to Manual, continuing to turn it does nothing i.e. it turns but doesn't move round to RS

It means you have park assist.

RS, have you tried doing it whilst stationary?
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:[It means you have park assist.
?

No way~!!! I am very pleased. Does that mean the car will park itself? How do I do it?

I *think* I have tried RS stationary but I will check later.
Turntable

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:40 pm

From an MB owners forum - How to use RS in a C63

Press the brake all the way down. Put the car in S+. Turn the traction into SPORT. Switch the knob to RS. Press the Right Paddle to confirm. While your foot is on the brake, Press down on the gas. Release the Brake and hold on!
S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:[It means you have park assist.
?

No way~!!! I am very pleased. Does that mean the car will park itself? How do I do it?

I *think* I have tried RS stationary but I will check later.

Fcuk knows, not tried it - I think you still have to turn the wheel but the system looks for spaces big enough and then tells you how much to turn the wheel and which way etc.

I CBA to read the manual and I'm fcuked if I'm going to try it whilst holding up traffic pissing about when I'm The Big Man at parallel parking anyway.
Deuteronomy

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:48 pm

My father's Skoda has an auto park thing too. He doesn't use it either because: white male privilege.
Käsemeister

PreviousNext

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!