Aston Martin Vantage S Driven

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Aston Martin Vantage S Driven

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 22, 2017 1:28 pm

You know I said my uncle had asked me to pop over and look at his new car for him?
I did that at the weekend. He's bought a 3 month old Vantage S with 1500 miles on the clock so the point of me looking at it was exactly zero other than he knew I would enjoy driving it.

Anyway, to be honest I couldn't really be arsed. It is the lowliest Aston, not particularly fast, not particularly powerful and I've lost a lot of my early 30's car excitement.
But I dragged myself because he had only done it because I like cars and I had fought vehemently against his wife who didn't want to get it. So he thought he was doing me a favour letting me go over and drive it, and I didn't want to throw that back in his face.

Anyway, I am really really glad I did it. I thought I was a bit bored of cars but that thing is in a completely different class to anything I have driven perhaps ever. Every detail on it is utterly beautiful and then engine is simply phenomenal. Sounds utterly glorious ins Sport Mode driving around with the hood down. And to my surprise it felt ridiculously quick. In short I got properly excited driving it and I haven't felt like that for ages about a car.
And the really big thing is that my C63 felt decidedly dull when I got back in it. Even the engine, which I thought was the most glorious thing ever, sounded a bit meh.
I just couldn't really fault it and desperately want one now.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Re: Aston Martin Vantage S Driven

Post by moleamol @ Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 pm

A place I used to work was in the town centre and as such parking was at a premium. The offices were old 3 story Victorian or whatever things on a main road. At the back there was an alley with parking for a few cars behind each building. One of them had a husband and wife team that obviously liked Astons; the husband had a Vanquish S and the wife a Rapide which I assume was the family car. The sound from both was utterly glorious, there was also a Ferrari and my bosses C63, which did sound ace. But the Vanquish starting up in what was essentially an enclosed alley was just stunning.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh dear.

This is why drug dealers are forbidden from giving free samples to school children.

They want.

Sigh.
Greg66

Post by Bodhi @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Oh now you just know how much that last bit is going to saddened me TT. I thought we had something. Something special, just ours.

Now you've had to go and ruin it.
Bodhi

Post by minimoog @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:08 pm

I saw a DB9 the other day and all the meh I'm usually suffused with seeing them on TV or wherever utterly melted away. It looked fantastic.

Shame about the 007 number plate mind.
minimoog

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:24 pm

That sounds brilliant. I'd always hoped AMs had a little more soul that put them a step up from other cars and it sounds as though they have.

Pls buy one.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm

If I suddenly found £40,000 'resting' in my bank account I'd be hugely tempted to buy an early V8 Vantage. I know there are many faster cars and many 'better' cars, but I just like them so much.
ttwiggy

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:That sounds brilliant. I'd always hoped AMs had a little more soul that put them a step up from other cars and it sounds as though they have.

Exactly how I felt. I think because the Vantage has been around for so long (although this is facelift in and out) I have become used tot hem and thought of them as a little ordinary, despite Aston, so it has never even been on my radar.
I am delighted to discover that not only are they not ordinary but that there is actually still a car I really want to own.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Bodhi wrote:Oh now you just know how much that last bit is going to saddened me TT. I thought we had something. Something special, just ours.

Now you've had to go and ruin it.

Fear not bode. I can have a 2 seater right now so we're okay.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

I have always loved AMs, the desire to have one has never gone away.
Deuteronomy

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!