Toyota Aygo - new arrival

Forum rules
You can only review cars you have either owned or driven.
ANY car of ANY age or price can be reviewed.
Reviews can be ANY length.
All threads must be named with the details of the car reviewed in the OP.
Label the thread with either "owned" or "driven" depending on the basis for your review.

Toyota Aygo - new arrival

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:30 pm

As my lifestyle enhumblement continues, I've just been to collect the Toyota Aygo which replaces my venerable old spaceship-dashed Honda Civic. The Civic had had a hard life and was very tired, so because I refuse to have a 22 year old Mitsubishi Shogun as my only actual car, the Civic has been put to death by four seats in a small box that moves around: Aygo!

I haven't done any photos because everyone knows what a Toyota Aygo looks like. And if you don't, it's this:

That's not a picture of mine, but mine's exactly the same. White, alloys, black trim bits, fogs. Look, it's just a small, cheap car.

But there are some fun things that I've already appreciated, just on the drive home: the multimedia set up is pretty nifty - it connected to my phone with no grief, transferring contacts and call history and etcs. I did the thick end of 70mpg on the drive home through the centre of town in rush hour traffic. It has a touchscreen for all the media shizz and phone stuff, and DAB audio too. Part leather, aircon, rorty little engine noise, groovy instruments (not spaceship-esque, but nice enough). But more than anything, super-cheap. Cheap to buy*, cheap on fuel, £0 road tax, £150 insurance. W'ev.

*the conversation with the salesman was superb as I was doing the deal.

We started with the usual flannel:

"Perhaps you'd like something with a bit more space though? - it's only four seats"
- No thanks. I've got a seven seat Shogun with a massive boot if I need more space.
"What about a bit more poke?"
- No thanks. I've got a motorbike.

And so on. And onto the deal, where because I've accidentally got a massive fleet of vehicles I was able to say "Look, I don't care if I get this or not, but I will pay this much and if you can make the numbers happen I'll do it today".

So I paid what I wanted.

I'll update this if anything interesting at all happens during ownership. But I don't expect it to, frankly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: Toyota Aygo - new arrival

Post by S1K @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

When you say “four seats”, is it literally a four seater or is there a centre seatbelt in the back?
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Just two seatbelts in the back.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

I like it. I always think of them as the X-Men car when I see the front end.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm going to utterly own Mrs Thorn in my mileage challenge thread now.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Bosh!

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

And yes, believe it or not that actually is the instrument display. Even though it looks like My First Android Tablet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Bloody hell!

We're thinking of getting a Golf GTE (hybrid) for my wife to replace the RR, but with MPG like that I wonder if the hybrid is worth the extra cash?
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:13 pm

And if you got one pre-17 like mine, it's zero tax 'n all.

A day's use has definitely revealed where the Cheap of this car is though. It's no Golf challenger, that's for sure.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

You can get a supercharger for it Damo.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtVFJUTqQo
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 pm

laugh!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

I had a 2013-2014-ish Avensis as a hire car for a couple of weeks way back when, and the head unit looked very like the one here.

A gazillion features, to be fair, but pretty nasty to use and look at.
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Bloody hell!

We're thinking of getting a Golf GTE (hybrid) for my wife to replace the RR, but with MPG like that I wonder if the hybrid is worth the extra cash?

Definitely not.

85mpg in Datho's car = ~7p/mile
20 electric miles in a GTE = ~7p/mile

The GTE does ~45mpg when the battery has run out which is ~14p/mile
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 pm

CJ+ wrote:A gazillion features, to be fair, but pretty nasty to use and look at.

Pretty much true. There's a gleeful cheapness apparent in a lot of the Aygo, like it has exposed body-coloured metal on the door inners and inside the boot - like family cars did in the eighties. We've got used to card doors shutting with a solid clunk too, but these make a comical spang!! when they close. Although there are four doors, the back windows don't wind down but instead hinge outward like three door car rear windows (used to?) do. There's acres of space up front when you're driving, room to flap elbows, and masses of headroom. But that's in the front. The back seats are for short distances or short people, or preferably both. Four up last night with Mrs Thorn and the children it felt very full in there - although of course none of that impeded on my arena of fresh air driver's space. As long as I looked straight ahead it was fine.

But all that built-down-to-a-price has an cheerful honest utility to it as well. It's got features that are handy, but not really features biased towards anybody who might actually enjoy driving. So there's all the media bizness, the phone access, a clear, colourful reversing camera that displays its image on the centre touchscreen - even though the car is a small as an actual shoe and I could probably tell if I was going to reverse into something simply by reaching back over my shoulder with my hand.

All the surfaces are hard and shiny, no soft touch vinyl or alcantara effect. Although the seats are pretty nice. Bolstered bucket affairs with a high backrest. And part leather that wouldn't look out of place on a Matalan dress shoe.

But so far, it's kind of fun to bash about in. I've always managed to find a nerdish delight in trip computer fuel consumption stats (as you no doubt already realise) and this little sucker goes overboard with graphs and sums to sate my perversion. And the engine crackles surprisingly loudly too, making a busy but not weedy little roar. Kind of fun. I will have to get used to the ultimate dimensions though, as the feeling of driver space fools me into thinking it's a normal sized car, so when I park next to the kerb I'm not next to the kerb at all but a full 50cm away. Because that side of the car is much closer to this side than I thought. It's like a sort of trick. I parked it in what I thought was quite a narrow, neat space in the supermarket car park, and got out to discover I would have had enough room to park my motorbike in the space as well.

Small.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 am

Love it.

I can’t believe the mpg, that is truly astonishing. I’ve always liked Aygos for that type of car. Well done Da. Reminds me I need to do a new car thread as we got the Merc. Immediately though the engine check light is on so Merc assist coming out today to see what’s going on.
Doctor Congo

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 am

That’s bonkers economy and being a Toyota should be reliable as hell. In fact it’s the perfect second car for us when the Mini needs replacing. Does it have a boot?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 am

It does have a boot but not much of one. About 160L with the seats up iirc - which is just about enough for a frugal weekly shop.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 am

Damien Thorn wrote:It does have a bit but not much of one. About 160L with the seats up iirc - which is just about enough for a frugal weekly shop.

Sounds similar to the Mini. Enough for a side on whippet importantly.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 am

rofl!

I just took my m-i-l into the village to the dentist and managed to park the Aygo in a space the size of a trouser pocket. I looked at the tiny gap and thought "I wonder...", but it slotted in with miles to spare.

And the reversing camera is hilarious; ridiculous wide angle fisheye effect that makes everything look like GoPro action footage. Exciting!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Hmm. Fuel consumption is quite journey-sensitive. 60-70mpg is more typical, it seems.

But bigger numbers are available -

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:58 am

Alright!

In response to the incessant PMs asking, here's a little update on the shoebox. Real world fuel economy isn't always as good as my boastful figures. At the weekend we did a 150-mile round trip up the motorway, four-up, and with the air conditioning on. The day included stints at proper motorway speeds, as well as agonising traffic slugging (thanks, M11!) and queueing to get Mc Flurries from the drive through. Aygo produced dead on 60mpg for the day.

I'm actually not too disappointed by that, even though it's pretty far off the nose-bleedingly heady eighties I saw earlier. Aircon will ruin things ofc, and an additional 120+ kg of passengers puts extra strain on the fire-breathing 998cc powerplant. I know, excuses.

It has a hilarious turning circle though. Three point turns are like a magic trick.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:24 am

I hate/love to be a buzzkill but that doesn't seem that great all of a sudden. I guess it's not really designed for motorway slogs. In contrast, I went to Cornwall in my big 5 series estate last week - 450 mile round trip mainly on A roads with hold ups and long stretches of 70-80mph driving and averaged 51mpg (Air con on ofc) which I was v impressed with.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 am

No, I agree completely. It's not that good. But in mitigation, it is about the worst set of circumstances for it. I've still only put 30L of petrol in it since I've owned it though.

Good work with your 5, btw. That's genuinely impressive.

e: also, as the Aygo only weighs 840kg, carrying three more people in it is an extra 15% on top of usual weight. No wonder it couldn't mister its best numbers. Poor thing.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 pm

You don't want to know the fuel economy of the Volvo. I'm trying not to think about it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:14 am

Yes we do.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am

My old S60 had the 2L 5-cyl engine, and I regarded an average MPG of >25 as untrammelled victory.
CJ+

Post by S1K @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am

I’ve got a 1.8 with a K04 turbo and I’m happy to get 33mpg on a long motorway journey. If I really put my foot down the same journey will be under 20mpg. Round town short trips are high teens to low twenties unless I’m actively trying to save fuel when I can get just over thirty.
S1K

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:29 am

At best I’m getting 25mpg on a tank of petrol
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:47 am

Oof!

e: I expect in that case it's quite stiff on the VED as well. Not having bought an actual new car for over 20 years, I'm always genuinely horrified when I see how much that costs now.

E2: btw, my beastly old Shogun does 23mpg.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm

CJ+ wrote:My old S60 had the 2L 5-cyl engine, and I regarded an average MPG of >25 as untrammelled victory.

My ST has the Volvo 2.5L 5-cyl turbo and I don’t think it’s ever gone over 25mpg.

It passed 100k miles recently. The highest mileage on any car I’ve owned and also the longest I’ve owned a car (13yrs).
thekungfury

Next

Return to REal LIfe CAr REviews!