Scottish Independence

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Scottish Independence

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:58 am

That's the spirit!

In fairness to Sturgeon she's got the mandate to talk like this. I hope and pray that May has the balls to tell her to go fcuk herself. I think she has, too. Some of her stuff so far has been quite Thatcheresque/dictatorial.

Whilst Labour is imploding there's no risk of a Lab/SNP voting pact and even if there was Con still have a decent majority.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by deev @ Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

I'd absolutely love it if May told them to shut it and they weren't getting another referendum. They never do any good anyway, they just create massive division. Apparently a huge proportion of SNP voters were also brexiteers, which is surprising and unsurprising at the same time.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by deev @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Nicola Strugeon June 16:
told MSPs she would consider "all options to protect our relationship" with the bloc (EU)

Then after Brexit went through
There was now a “significant and material change” to the circumstances of two years ago, and Ms Sturgeon said: “Scotland should have the right to hold another referendum if there are significant and material change to the circumstances in 2014 such as Scotland being taken out of EU.

“Scotland faces that prospect. A second referendum is now highly likely

Then, Spetember
Nicola Sturgeon has said the time has come for Scotland to have a new conversation about independence.

Giving a speech in the town where "Braveheart" William Wallace won a historic battle against the English, the Scottish First Minister said she would trigger the "biggest ever political listening exercise" to convince voters a second referendum is needed.

Then the results came in,
A new YouGov poll put support for Scottish independence at 44% — its lowest level since the September 2014 referendum, when 45% voted to remain part of the UK

N.B. 44% if you leave out the "don't knows" so only about 34% in actual favour of it.

Then, a couple of days ago
Asked if she was "bluffing" because she knew she could not win a second independence referendum, Ms Sturgeon said: "They will be making a big mistake if they think I am in any way bluffing."

She's not bluffing. Wait, what?
“There is not going to be an independence referendum in 2017, I don’t think there is anybody who thinks that is the case,”

I think she should have told her acolytes that, they were getting all excited again. Meanwhile;

Kenny "MacCrakers" MacAskill has gone all off message and admitted what everyone without woad all over their face and wearing a tartan sash already knew;
Kenny MacAskill, who served as Justice Secretary under Alex Salmond for seven years, said Scotland’s current circumstances mean the odds of achieving independence are “less favourable” than last time around.

and
the former SNP MSP added that the unresolved issue of what currency an independent Scotland might use “hangs like a dark cloud” over those who believe it would be better off outside the UK.

Then we have the news that the cost of decommissioning the North sea oil infrastructure will wipe out any future tax revenue.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:55 pm

surprised face
Käsemeister

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:32 pm

That's the bloke on the mountain bike, yes?
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Sssssh.

They're all called that.
Käsemeister

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:06 pm

So when are we going to call a referendum on English independence? I've lost my copy of the timetable
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Previous

Return to Political Corner