Local and mayoral elections

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Local and mayoral elections

Post by Dirk @ Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 pm

From early results
Professor John Curtice wrote:A clutch of a half dozen results from Sunderland and Newcastle are beginning to suggest a consistent pattern whereby Labour's vote is up on 2015 but is down on both 2012 and 2011. If this proves to be typical of the night then Labour will indeed end up with net losses of seats. However, a key story tonight could be the performance of UKIP who have so far secured an average of 22% of the vote in four wards in which they stood in the north east.

Can you imagine how noisy the Phippers will be with that share of the vote? Hopefully that will not translate across the other regions
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: Local and mayoral elections

Post by Hooli @ Fri May 06, 2016 8:59 am

Only elections we had was PCC, so nothing at all will change as they are bloody pointless.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri May 06, 2016 9:27 am

SNP fails to get a majority.
Käsemeister

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri May 06, 2016 9:28 am

Hooli wrote:Only elections we had was PCC, so nothing at all will change as they are bloody pointless.

Likewise and agreed. All political appointees here except one independent who is the current deputy and has been awful thus far. I know of several of them and wouldn't trust them to manage their own sock drawer.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 06, 2016 11:56 am

It's an odd phrase, that.

My sock drawer is a right shambles and yet I manage alright in life.

Furthermore if anyone were to actually organise their sock drawer I'd eye them extremely suspiciously and certainly wouldn't let them babysit.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Greg66 @ Fri May 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Käsemeister wrote:SNP fails to get a majority.

I'm really puzzled by this, or more particularly that the Cons got any MSPs.

There are constituencies in Scotland that voted for an SNP MP to sit at Westminster but a Tory MSP to sit in Holyrood. If as a collective you want a Tory MSP, why do you want an SNP MP who will absolutely never in a million years support any Tory proposal in Westminster.

Does not compute.
Greg66

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Greg66 wrote:

There are constituencies in Scotland that voted for an SNP MP to sit at Westminster but a Tory MSP to sit in Holyrood. If as a collective you want a Tory MSP, why do you want an SNP MP who will absolutely never in a million years support any Tory proposal in Westminster.

Does not compute.

Number of reasons
1) It is a different system for MSPs. Even where party does not win first past the post for MSP, they get a top of regional MSPs from party list. Most Tory MSPs are from this (24 out of 31 so far)
2) Constituencies do not align and there are more MSPs than MPs in Scotalnd
3) Swing to Tories (8.1% on seat declared so far)
4) Some people are stupid
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by ttwiggy @ Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Greg66 wrote:

Does not compute.

Similar logic to sending an anti-EU MEP to the European Parliament, knowing they will never represent you? Some sort of protest vote that ignores the old adage concerning, face, nose and spiting oneself.
ttwiggy

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri May 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Or minds have changed between national and local elections. Same as how national government is returned and then historically the opposition does better in the subsequent local elections.
Käsemeister

Post by deev @ Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 am

The no voters threw their lot in with the tories this time as labour were very wishy washy on preventing a 2nd referendum. So the unionist vote wasn't split as much as this time.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Greg66 @ Sun May 08, 2016 12:10 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

Does not compute.

Similar logic to sending an anti-EU MEP to the European Parliament, knowing they will never represent you? Some sort of protest vote that ignores the old adage concerning, face, nose and spiting oneself.

Umm. Can't realise understand why people do that either. Hey ho.

In other news, Sadiq right now is the polesitter for the next Labour leader contest.
Greg66

Post by Disastrous @ Sun May 08, 2016 12:27 pm

deev wrote:The no voters threw their lot in with the tories this time as labour were very wishy washy on preventing a 2nd referendum. So the unionist vote wasn't split as much as this time.

This. It's the only political issue anyone talks about up here, still.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by spast1kunt @ Sun May 08, 2016 1:11 pm

I was pleased to see that the Monster Raving Loony Party polled 5,743 in the Regional part of the Welsh Assembly election. They didn't get any seats though so in that respect my vote was wasted somewhat.
spast1kunt

Return to Political Corner