Phillip Green - villain or victim?

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Phillip Green - villain or victim?

Post by Turntable @ Fri May 06, 2016 1:59 pm

I was reading about his first public statements yesterday since the BHS collapse, and whilst I think he is a bit of a ruthless rogue, I think he has a fair point about his current treatment.
I did not know, for example, that the head of the enquiry into the BHS collapse was also the same politician who declared publicly that Phillip Green should be stripped of his knighthood.
Intrigues as to how this plays out as I don't really know much about the bloke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36217170
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Re: Phillip Green - villain or victim?

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Don't know, don't care, don't see what the fcuk it's got to do with the government either.

It's a business that's gone bust, sad for employees and all that, but that's the way it goes at times. Why are the government expected to step in and sort them out every time ?
DI Burnside

Post by Il Duce @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm just surprised he hasn't played the anti-semite card.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:25 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Don't know, don't care, don't see what the fcuk it's got to do with the government either.

11000 people losing their pensions gets their attention. Coupled with the amount Green's taken out of BHS since he owned it and it looks pretty bad for him IMO.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Turntable wrote:I did not know, for example, that the head of the enquiry into the BHS collapse was also the same politician who declared publicly that Phillip Green should be stripped of his knighthood.

It's a pretty outrageous situation that Frank Field is involved. Hate Green but agree he should get a fair and unbiased hearing.

I've not read a great deal into the BHS affair but on the face of it he well and truly shafted the business.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Villain.

He took shitloads of cash out of BHS and didn't keep the pension fund properly funded while he owned the business. He ran the company into the ground and sold it for a quid.

He's no different to Maxwell as far as I can see.
spast1kunt

Post by Monty @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:39 pm

It's called business. That's it really.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Don't know, don't care, don't see what the fcuk it's got to do with the government either.

11000 people losing their pensions gets their attention. Coupled with the amount Green's taken out of BHS since he owned it and it looks pretty bad for him IMO.

Ignoring Green* why does losing their pensions get their attention ? They don't lose their state pension do they ? Or does losing their private pensions affect their state pensions ?
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 06, 2016 2:50 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

Ignoring Green* why does losing their pensions get their attention ? They don't lose their state pension do they ? Or does losing their private pensions affect their state pensions ?

11000 voters lost their pensions. Government has to be seen to at least do something.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri May 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Monty wrote:It's called business. That's it really.

There are different ways to do business.

You can be a decent businessman and try to do the best for all the people involved in the business or you can try to screw as much out of the business for yourself as possible and not give a shit about anyone else.
spast1kunt

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri May 06, 2016 3:08 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

The Pension Protection Fund will now step in and fund the £500m black hole - I think.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 06, 2016 3:12 pm

thekungfury wrote:11000 voters lost their pensions. Government has to be seen to at least do something.

Madness. Why is the default position to blame the government or expect it to step in ? It's ridiculous annoys me.

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:The Pension Protection Fund will now step in and fund the £500m black hole - I think.

Oh FFS.
DI Burnside

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri May 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:The Pension Protection Fund will now step in and fund the £500m black hole - I think.

That's not quite the whole story.

The Pensions Regulator is investigating BHS and can order previous owners (including Green) to cough up.
spast1kunt

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri May 06, 2016 4:02 pm

spast1kunt wrote:

The Pensions Regulator is investigating BHS and can order previous owners (including Green) to cough up.

Hopefully. I'm just explaining why it's of government interest.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Fri May 06, 2016 5:28 pm

spast1kunt wrote:

£20 to the charity of your choice if he ever pays up ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Dirk @ Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Il Duce wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:

Not my choice I know, but this might be a suitable charity
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Il Duce @ Sat May 07, 2016 9:48 am

Dirk wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:

Not my choice I know, but this might be a suitable charity

Hey, I'm doing my bit for them in Italy: We have 30 of them living in the forests near the town and soon it'll be my turn to let them steal some of my stuff.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Babysealclub @ Sat May 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Green is a friend of my father. I remember over 30 years ago, I went to his office to run a business idea past him. He told me that it was a hare-brained scheme and that I would be mad to go ahead with it.

"You'll do your bollocks", he said.

Naturally, I knew better and ploughed ahead regardless.

I did my bollocks.
Babysealclub
Untitled Pony

Post by Il Duce @ Sat May 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Babysealclub wrote:Green is a friend of my father. I remember over 30 years ago, I went to his office to run a business idea past him. He told me that it was a hare-brained scheme and that I would be mad to go ahead with it.

I did my bollocks.

Laugh. Esp at the phrase.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat May 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Babysealclub wrote:Green is a friend of my father. I remember over 30 years ago, I went to his office to run a business idea past him. He told me that it was a hare-brained scheme and that I would be mad to go ahead with it.

I did my bollocks.

Ok.
Tokyo Sexwale

Return to Political Corner