Oi! Budge it...

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Oi! Budge it...

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:46 pm

So any comment on today's snoozefest?

It looks like a few of us are in the target zone for tax/NI hikes, but I'm not sure I can be motivated enough to worry about it too much - it's been coming for some time and as with everything else, we'll just accept it and get on with things anyway.

Interesting rhetoric about being the 'party of the NHS', but it related to some sensible sounding words around investment in it. Ofcourse, whether there was any truth in anything that was said we'll find out in due course, but my default position these days is to simply not believe anything a politician says until it actually happens - which is rare.

Anything stand out worthy of comment to you?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Re: Oi! Budge it...

Post by Hooli @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm

I've not even bothered to read a summary of what was in it yet, I expect so little to actually change from it.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Yep we're going to get bummed as per usual. Other than that, same old same old and fags are insanely expensive.
Käsemeister

Post by Otto Sump @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Well I for one am glad I got out of the self employment rat-race when I did.
Otto Sump

Post by Dirk @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Another couple of grand to tax it seems.

Thought at least they might drop corp tax a bit.
Dirk

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 pm

And diesel VED / surcharge options to be looked at for the Autumn. Uh oh.
Käsemeister

Post by deev @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 am

Apparently I will be £8 a month worse off all things considered. I think I'll survive. Just.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by S1K @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am

The weirdest part of the budget was when Theresa May swallowed that fish.

S1K

Post by Ghost @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 am

Käsemeister wrote:And diesel VED / surcharge options to be looked at for the Autumn. Uh oh.

Yes, let's now bum all those people who we persuaded that moving to a diesel car was a good idea.
Ghost

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 am

Knocking £3k off my tax free dividend, so that's another £225 in tax on top of the £2400 they added onto me for 2016/17.

Plus extra 1% NI for the wife another £120 ish

Given the hit I took last year (although granted I just take more to compensate) it's frustrating that they hit the normal person, as unlike the poor or rich, we tend to just "suck it up" without much fuss.
dirtyboy

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am

It's mildly amusing to see the self-employed complaining today. You've spent years paying less tax than us and I'm afraid "yeah but holidays/sick" doesn't wash.

Odd thing for the Tories to do mind.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

thekungfury wrote:It's mildly amusing to see the self-employed complaining today. You've spent years paying less tax than us and I'm afraid "yeah but holidays/sick" doesn't wash.

Why doesn't it "wash"?

We generally work longer and harder for less money than you shitfest employees.
We have to pay your holiday pay and sick pay from our pockets.
We can't fire you without risking you taking us to a kangaroo court Tribunal even if you're fvcking hopeless.
And if we want to sell it on and retire we have to give you a cut as a redundancy payment, even though you'll still have a job.

Yeah. Doesn't wash.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am

thekungfury wrote:It's mildly amusing to see the self-employed complaining today. You've spent years paying less tax than us and I'm afraid "yeah but holidays/sick" doesn't wash.

Odd thing for the Tories to do mind.

In fairness, I sympathise with the self-employed, got a guy who's a plasterer, took on a labourer, labourer got hurt, ends up paying SSP and of course, funding takes forever, and was a real faff to get sorted, plus they have to pay for us setting up a PAYE scheme, then finding a new employee to cover. They also usually require an accountant for EOY preparation etc (usually a lot more than just a tax return like HR tax payers) and that's put real strain on him. That's just one case, there are countless issues the SE deal with, not to mention the inability of HMRC to get anything right at the moment sending a debt collector to one of my clients when they had in fact overpaid but the HMRC system hadn't picked up a payment that was allocated to a completely different person! It's unbelievable what we see on a daily basis and it's getting worse, not better.
dirtyboy

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

Il Duce wrote:

Why doesn't it "wash"?

We can't fire you without risking you taking us to a kangaroo court Tribunal even if you're fvcking hopeless.
And if we want to sell it on and retire we have to give you a cut as a redundancy payment, even though you'll still have a job.

Yeah. Doesn't wash.

Odd that 2.5 million people choose to be self-employed if it's such a bad deal.

Work longer and harder for less money? You're a liar or an idiot.
You have to give someone redundancy and they still have the job? You're a liar or an idiot.
thekungfury

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:29 am

thekungfury wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

Why doesn't it "wash"?

Yeah. Doesn't wash.

Odd that 2.5 million people choose to be self-employed if it's such a bad deal.

Work longer and harder for less money? You're a liar or an idiot.
You have to give someone redundancy and they still have the job? You're a liar or an idiot.

You'll be amazed at how many SE people actually pay employees more than they earn themselves.

I had one guy who got his company off the ground 12 years ago by paying a software engineer £30k a year and literally had to load up 3 credit cards to pay his wages and made a loss of for two years and was helped by his parents. Granted, he got things moving and is now my wealthiest client, but I advised him against it, he still made it work and now employs 15 people. Should people like him not be encouraged?
dirtyboy

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 am

dirtyboy wrote:Should people like him not be encouraged?

Not what I said.

My point is SE people ultimately pay less tax than employees. I don't begrudge them as it's their risk and it's something I'm not prepared to do. If you win, good on you, but the amount of whining I've seen today has made me chuckle. 2.5m people will be on average 70p/day worse off. Big whoop. Just do a few more cash in hand jobs.

My biggest surprise is it's the Tories doing this. Raising tax on entrepreneurial business spirit?
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am

I'm sure a lot aren't entrepreneurs really though, just 'contractors' who aren't creating jobs. I agree it's still a strange thjng for the tories to do however - I'd love to know what the real game plan is.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:14 pm

I know quite a few inverted commas contractors that have been at the same employer for years.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

SE are now entitled to state pension. This is being claimed as a raise to support that.

Fairness
Käsemeister

Post by Hooli @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Id always thought the SE previously had the option to pay a higher 'stamp' & get their pension etc?
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Dirk @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm

thekungfury wrote:I know quite a few inverted commas contractors that have been at the same employer for years.

Which is wht the changes have been made (rather than enforcing IR35 which was supposed to stop those sort of people) , Does hit more legit business as well though.
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Manifesto commitments are basically utter bollocks. Interesting that it's acceptable for everything apart from the 7 day NHS debacle.
Doctor Congo

Post by S1K @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 pm

You know all that stuff about National Insurance going up for the self-employed that was in the Budget last week? Well it's not happening now.

BBC News wrote:U-turn over Budget plan to increase National Insurance

Plans to increase National Insurance levels for self-employed people - announced in the Budget last week - have been dropped.
Chancellor Philip Hammond has said the government will not proceed with the increases which were criticised for breaking a 2015 manifesto pledge.
In a letter to Tory MPs, he said: "There will be no increases in... rates in this Parliament."
Mr Hammond will explain the U-turn in a Commons statement later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39278968
S1K

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Hilarious - if only for the determination to proceed with the unmitigated disaster if Brexit.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Dirk @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 pm

If only they'd do a U-turn on the dividend changes. Which hit entrepreneurs far more
Dirk

Post by Rod Rammage @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Take note Dis - that's how you back a whole government down.
Rod Rammage

Return to Political Corner