General ELection 2017

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

General ELection 2017

Post by Dirk @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 pm

So was it a smart call, or will the many Tory remainers vote LD in protest?
In theory with only LD offering an end to Brexit one might think it is perfect conditions for them to gain votes.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: General ELection 2017

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Except they're invisible and everyone hates them anyway.

I'm just shattered by the mindless suicidal stupidity of so many non-Tory MPs fcuking orgasming over the idea. It's flaming bloody obvious that she's called it because right now everyone else is completely fcuking useless and she can't lose, whereas if she waited until it was naturally due it'd be right in the middle of the post-exit mess and even quite thick people would be realising leaving the EU was actually a shit idea and wanting to vote her out. All those fcuking morons blithering about "we welcome the chance to get rid of the Tories" when if they had half a functioning neuron they'd see the best chance, indeed pretty well their only chance, of getting rid of the Tories is to wait until it's become obvious to everyone how they've fcuked the country up.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am

With 30 Tory MP's under investigation for spending too much in the last election (2015) there was a chance the Cons would loose their slender majority in the house of commons and be forced to have a new election, this way it looks like they decided to have an election rather than were forced to have one.

More details here

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index. ... legrounds/
Last edited by Strawman on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Otto Sump @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 am

Because:

a) Without a credible opposition she knows she'll win

b) By winning, she'll silence those who say she's an unelected PM
Otto Sump

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 am

Dirk wrote:So was it a smart call, or will the many Tory remainers vote LD in protest?
In theory with only LD offering an end to Brexit one might think it is perfect conditions for them to gain votes.

I'm seriously considering voting LD for the first time ever.

I've voted Tory before, but every time I hear Tim Farron speak he seems to be saying things I agree with. Whereas every time I hear May speak she seems to be saying things further and further away from what I consider reason. If only the LDs were a valid political force in this country I suspect there would be a lot of other disillusioned Tory-voters who feel misrepresented by May who might lean the LD way. But I don't know.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Dirk wrote:So was it a smart call, or will the many Tory remainers vote LD in protest?

I've voted Tory before, but every time I hear Tim Farron speak he seems to be saying things I agree with. Whereas every time I hear May speak she seems to be saying things further and further away from what I consider reason. If only the LDs were a valid political force in this country I suspect there would be a lot of other disillusioned Tory-voters who feel misrepresented by May who might lean the LD way. But I don't know.

I think I'm going to vote LD as well. Honestly, they just seem the most normal compared to an increasingly mad sounding TM and JC.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 am

Damien Thorn wrote:

But isn't Tony Blair aligning himself with LD?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:26 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:But isn't Tony Blair aligning himself with LD?

What does that mean practically though?
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

But isn't Tony Blair aligning himself with LD?

Which means what? Tony Blair is vile and poisonous, but seems to strongly believe in remain. Is it simply that the LDs offer the closest option to remain, with their proposed softening of May's ultrahard brexit? Again, don't know.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 am

Agree Damo. I will be voting LD for the first time, and not just because of Brexit.
In the past couple of years the Tories have become some bizarre mixture of UKIP and Labour in my eyes. All their policies have been traditional left wing ones, or pro Brexit.
They just don't represent me in any way whatsoever any more.
I seriously hope a lot of people feel that way and she gets a bloody nose over this, the smarmy colourless bitch.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 am

Turntable wrote:Agree Damo. I will be voting LD for the first time, and not just because of Brexit.
In the past couple of years the Tories have become some bizarre mixture of UKIP and Labour in my eyes. All their policies have been traditional left wing ones, or pro Brexit.
They just don't represent me in any way whatsoever any more.
I seriously hope a lot of people feel that way and she gets a bloody nose over this, the smarmy colourless bitch.

Exactly this, I will also be voting LD.
Deuteronomy

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 am

Interesting. I too m intending to vote LD this time. I wonder how widespread this might be amongst Tory voters. There is, I suppose, an outside chance that this election could not not quite according to plan for TM.
Greg66

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 am

I think there will be a resurgence for the LDs (and yes, it's highly likely that they will receive my vote, too; especially as my (good) Labour MP (Tom Blenkinsop) is not standing again) but let's be real: Labour are going to be the big, big losers here, because Corbyn is such a massively useless shit.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:52 am

I think you're all dreaming. It will be the biggest Tory win ever.
Rod Rammage

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am

Rod Rammage wrote:I think you're all dreaming. It will be the biggest Tory win ever.

I think that's what I said, in a roundabout kind of way.

ETA: A "resurgence" for the LDs could result in them tripling their seats, to a massive 24.
Last edited by CJ+ on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am

Internet searches for "Fixed Term Parliament Act"

Strawman

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am

It will in all liklihood be a big tory win mainly at the expense of Labour with the Tories prepared to sacrifice some of their seats to the LDs in order to annihilate Labour.
I would vote LD and have done before in Cornwall (can't vote despite the tories saying they would refranchise us years ago) though I must say the religious side of Farron is not my cup of tea and he really needs to get over the whole gays thing.
desertweasel

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

In Wales, even though the unwashed listened to the Conservatives and voted Out, despite Labour telling them to vote In, they will again vote Labour- because- miners, Maggie, Tory toffs, Rich bastards, my dad voted Labour, Labour invented kebabs and rugby and the toll on the Severn bridge which make the English pay to get into Wales.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 am

Another likely LD voter here. Tim Farron is a Christian fundamentalist homophobe by all accounts but he's still the leader of the least worst option.

Lifelong Tory voter but they're not representing my views in the slightest. 5th safest blue seat in the country but I live in hope that even though the LD won't get many more MPs the increase share of the vote overall will send a message that hard Brexit can fcuk off.

Given the choice would you rather:

1. Five more years of the current wanker Tories and hard Brexit or,

2. Soft gentle lovely Brexit but with Corbyn as PM (in LD/Green/SNP coalition) for five years.

SNP have already said they won't make a pact with Labour (or other way round?) but if push came to shove I don't trust them not to.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 am

thekungfury wrote:SNP have already said they won't make a pact with Labour (or other way round?) but if push came to shove I don't trust them not to.

Corbyn said categorically he wouldn't (because they are not 'progressive' hahahaha) and, as much as I ooze contempt for the bloke, I believe what he says.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am

thekungfury wrote:Tim Farron is a Christian fundamentalist homophobe

I'm fine with the Christian bit, very uneasy with the fundamentalist bit and appalled by the homophobe bit.

FFS! Why can't they just be normal??

Still, he's the least worst and will get my vote, although it's through gritted teeth.
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 am

I think the ideal situation would be an "anybody and anybody" coalition. Your country seemed to work well during the Con-LibDem because nobody had their own way.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minornut @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am

I too am likely to vote LD (lifelong Tory voter). It will still be a wasted vote as labour can stick a rosette on a paedophile and they would be elected where I live.
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am

Deuteronomy wrote:

I'm fine with the Christian bit, very uneasy with the fundamentalist bit and appalled by the homophobe bit.

Still, he's the least worst and will get my vote, although it's through gritted teeth.

Chill, fam, he's a god-botherer but he keeps it to himself.

And he's not a 'phobe. Doesn't agree with it, wouldn't do it himself, has voted for LGBT+ rights at every opportunity. The much-vaunted "butbutbut he voted against the gay marriage bill" is wrong, too. He abstained in order to table an amendment that would make the bill more amenable to trans people, like Rod.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jennie- ... 95906.html
CJ+

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 am

CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Chill, fam, he's a god-botherer but he keeps it to himself.

And he's not a 'phobe. Doesn't agree with it, wouldn't do it himself, has voted for LGBT+ rights at every opportunity. The much-vaunted "butbutbut he voted against the gay marriage bill" is wrong, too. He abstained in order to table an amendment that would make the bill more amenable to trans people, like Rod.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/jennie- ... 95906.html

Excellent, I feel better about it now.

>relaxes teeth<
Deuteronomy

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 am

Another Tory voter here (mostly anyway) who will be voting LD.
ttwiggy

Post by Dirk @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am

Interesting how unrepresentative are the views above compared to polls

CTF bubble or are the polls wrong? I don't believe the polls can be that wrong.
Dirk

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

Dirk wrote:I don't believe the polls can be that wrong.

<Raises eyebrows>

But probs a CTF bubble. What with us lot being so caring and inclusive.
Greg66

Post by Dirk @ Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am

Interesting if surprising poll

EVen among Remain voters, people who voted LD are less likely (68.4) to vote for the same party this time than Tory (76.6) or Labour (71.5)

Source and credit:
http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/04/more-from-my-brexit-research/
Dirk

Next

Return to Political Corner