Election 2019

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Election 2019

Post by Dirk @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:16 pm

The election should be about more than Brexit so lets separate it

First off, a minor sub-plot perhaps but it seems odd that an MP who is suspended (Keith Vaz in this case) by the Commons can stand again whilst still selected. On one hand it makes sense because if there was a year left he could stand again when the suspension runs out, but on the other it seems odd.

I wonder whether it will impact his vote
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Re: Election 2019

Post by S1K @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:18 pm

I’ll probably be voting Lib-Dem. Don’t like Brexit, don’t like Corbyn.
S1K

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 pm

Liberal for me too. My area was 73% remain in the referendum and was always a Lib-Dem stronghold until the coalition damaged their credibility enough for Labour to get in. I hope Simon Hughes stands again.

The way things look now, nobody has a majority but who knows what will happen once Russia get involved the campaigning starts.
manfromdelmonte

Post by minimoog @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:03 pm

Dirk wrote:The election should be about more than Brexit

Good luck with that.
minimoog

Post by Dirk @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:11 pm

minimoog wrote:
Dirk wrote:The election should be about more than Brexit

Good luck with that.

I did say it more in hope than expectation
Dirk

Post by minornut @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:18 pm

I’ll be voting lib-dem even though it is probably a wasted vote as historically you could put a red rosette on Jimmy Savile’s corpse and it would be elected where I live.

Labour may have shot themselves in the foot by selecting a remain supporting London councillor in an area that voted 68% to leave in the referendum. Brexit party seems to getting the backing of the empty vessels on the local Facebook pages (god help us)
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:47 pm

S1K wrote:I’ll probably be voting Lib-Dem. Don’t like Brexit, don’t like Corbyn.

Same
minornut wrote:I’ll be voting lib-dem even though it is probably a wasted vote as historically you could put a red rosette on Jimmy Savile’s corpse and it would be elected where I live.

Same, although it’s a blue rosette here. 22k majority.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Dirk wrote:The election should be about more than Brexit so lets separate it

Oh, wouldn't that be nice...

But people will consider it to be about that despite the lack of any mechanism for that consideration to be represented. You can't "vote Remain" and have it count (in most constituencies). The best most people can do is to vote "Against The Tories" (and against Farrago and his chums), by voting for whichever non-Tory candidate is projected to be most popular in their seat, regardless of what party they do stand for. Which in most cases means voting Labour, since the increased support for parties which do unquestionably support Remain is not representable under our crappy electoral system.

While it is true that Corbyn has been fcuking useless over the EU, that does not, the circumstances being what they are, constitute a reason for not voting Labour in most places. To vote for a definitely-Remain party in a Tory or marginal seat instead of for Labour means splitting the non-Tory vote and making it more likely that the Tory will get in. Which means that by "voting Remain" on paper you are "voting Leave" (subtype "Leave in maximally destructive fashion") in actual effect.

A Tory or Tory-controlled government guarantees "Leave" and fcuk the consequences. A government that guarantees "Remain" is unachievable, and what is worse, aiming directly at achieving it by voting idealistically results in achieving exactly the opposite in reality. The best we can hope for is a Labour or Labour-plus-other-non-Tories government, which at least makes "Remain" a possibility, and may even make it a likely one depending on what mix of parties we end up with.

To vote for a party other than Labour in a constituency which has the usual binary Labour/Tory choice is in effect a vote for "Leave", even if it is theoretically a vote for a party that supports "Remain".
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:08 pm

I'll vote Lib Dem too I expect. I vote Green locally, but at a national level I doubt they'll trouble too many ballot papers.

I can't vote Conservative because I would feel genuinely ashamed to think that I was somehow endorsing that wretched self-serving crew of pompous oafs.

And even though in theory Labour should be the party for me - I'm an engineer, married to a teacher, lower-middle income, little bit of savings, work hard in a small entrepreneurial business for a humble level of comfort - sadly they're all just ruinously jealous bastards, so I can't vote for them.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 pm

I’m leaning towards Lib Dem’s too, unless someone else catches my eye.

Tories ? Fcuk off

Labour ? FCUK OFF !!!!!

20k + blue majority here last time so doubt things will change. Most people hate out MP (Dorries) but they’d vote for a blue dog turd.

I just hope the LDs can flip a middle finger at Labour if nothing else.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:44 pm

I normally vote Conservative, but can't do that this time - and will seriously question ever doing so again.

I can't vote for Labour in its current format - they will be utterly ruinous for the country. I fear Brexit would be the least of our worries under them as they seek to undo any remaining trace of financial stability for misplaced ideology.

I will be voting Lib Dem this time around. They are the only opposition party to step forward and clearly say what their stance on Brexit is. At a time when chaos seems to rule in Westminster they at least project a hint of clarity and no desire to implement some extreme vision of change for no actual gain.

If ever there was a time for a seismic shift in the electoral vote, then this is it. Neither Labour or the Tories deserve their age old position of a two horse race after their actions over the past three years.
Careless Whisperer

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:12 pm

You can't help but wonder what the result would be if we had any form of proportional representation, I'd probably still vote Lib Dem as I did at the last election I was allowed, but I reckon the greens would get a fair number of MPs in a PR parliament
desertweasel

Post by S1K @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:12 pm

minornut wrote:I’ll be voting lib-dem even though it is probably a wasted vote as historically you could put a red rosette on Jimmy Savile’s corpse and it would be elected where I live.

That’s the case where I live too. Apart from the 1959-64 parliament it’s been solidly Labour since 1945.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 pm

I’m probably going to vote Lib Dem too, though it’s a Tory stronghold where I am. The Libs gained quite a lot the last time. It’s either that or draw a massive cock and balls on my ballot paper with the word ‘Boris’ spurting out the end.

e: I’m traditionally a Labour voter but I haven’t been able to bring myself to support the omnishambles Labour has become for some time. I voted Conservative in the locals the last time because the local Tory councillor was actually very good and, unlike the other local party reps, actively engaged with the community.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Frik @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 pm

Presume they'll get someone decent to replace Vince here. I'll no doubt vote for them regardless.
Frik

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:00 pm

I live in a Tory stronghold too. I will vote whichever way this website recommends to unseat the Tory encumbant

https://www.getvoting.org/

Currently says I must vote Labour, so I'll hold my nose and hope the anti-semitism isn't that real a thing and vote Labour
Strawman

Post by mervynp @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 pm

Strawman wrote:I live in a Tory stronghold too. I will vote whichever way this website recommends to unseat the Tory encumbant

Currently says I must vote Labour, so I'll hold my nose and hope the anti-semitism isn't that real a thing and vote Labour

ditto, I'll feel grubby afterwards but I feel it needs doing and my constituency is pretty close to being in play.
mervynp

Post by foo @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 pm

I have no idea. I think Lib Dem now. None of them seem to represent me anymore, and frankly, I am bored of it all and just want to go back to whatever was deemed normal.

Conservative stronghold with a 50.2/49.8% split on you-know-what going in what I think is the wrong direction. My MP, Mark Prisk, is standing down, he says due to his age. He doesn't seem to care about those that live here anyway since he spends a lot of time in Cornwall, where he's from.

December 12th seems a good day to go wood-cabin camping locally for a long weekend, after visiting the poll booth, with a load of bags of firewood and my Kindle.

I have a lot of friends in Denmark and Norway (I used to live in those countries) and none of them can believe the farce. They keep asking me for some insight into what the hell is going on here.
foo
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 pm

Instinctively I’d vote Lib Dem but tactically I should vote labour, but can’t bring myself to do it.
Doctor Congo

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:41 am

Doctor Congo wrote:Instinctively I’d vote Lib Dem but tactically I should vote labour, but can’t bring myself to do it.

One sentence to neatly encapsulate why we will end up with a Tory govt for the next 5 years.
desertweasel

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:04 am

desertweasel wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:Instinctively I’d vote Lib Dem but tactically I should vote labour, but can’t bring myself to do it.

One sentence to neatly encapsulate why we will end up with a Tory govt for the next 5 years.

Indeed. It's a lock for Johnson right now. I'm bracing myself for the gurning fop's victory dance on the 13th.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:37 am

desertweasel wrote:

Didn’t say I wouldn’t do it. If we had PR this issue would not be the case.
Doctor Congo

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 am

I agree, FPTP is a ridiculous anachronism even though in many ways it prevents the far right (or left) getting in. I actually think if the Lib Dems had got a version of PR through previously that the subsequent outlet for frustrations to the right and left would have kicked brexit into touch, since it is pretty clear that the EU wasn't really the issue.
desertweasel

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:45 am

Strawman wrote:I live in a Tory stronghold too. I will vote whichever way this website recommends to unseat the Tory encumbant

Interesting. It tells me to vote Labour. I wonder what it's reasons are?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 am

Most likely to win the seat, who isn't Tory, based on current polling, Gina Miller is involved in it.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:22 am

It says I ought to vote Lib Dem. Although I'd vote for Mr Tumble if I knew it would shove Priti Patel out.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minimoog @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:49 am

Tory stronghold here too so it matters not, but LD is the recommended tactical choice. So I don't have to hold my nose when voting.
minimoog

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:02 am

Something that I was wondering and minornut's comment made me think:

Am I right in thinking there is a direct correlation between traditional labour strongholds and strong Brexit support? Who is that typical mixed-up person going to vote for now?
Will they still end up as labour but with a much smaller majority or is something odd like the Brexit party going to start sweeping those seats up?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Frik @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:04 am

Strawman wrote:Most likely to win the seat, who isn't Tory, based on current polling, Gina Miller is involved in it.

It's not Gina Miller.

https://www.twitter.com/thatginamiller/status/1189958023671959552

Not sure who's running it.
Frik

Post by Frik @ Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 am

Turntable wrote:Something that I was wondering and minornut's comment made me think:

Am I right in thinking there is a direct correlation between traditional labour strongholds and strong Brexit support? Who is that typical mixed-up person going to vote for now?
Will they still end up as labour but with a much smaller majority or is something odd like the Brexit party going to start sweeping those seats up?

Anyone but Tory probably. That's where it gets interesting.
Frik

Next

Return to Political Corner