Log burners - talk to me

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

There was quite an interesting episode on Reddit in which some guy thought he had people breaking into his house leaving Post-it notes lying around. It turned out he was suffering from CO poisoning. In his case it was from an underground garage in his apartment block.

first post - https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/com ... apartment/

second post - https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/co ... apartment/
spast1kunt

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

As part of my first job I had to visit a guy who was complaining about chronic drowsiness/falling asleep in front of the telly all the time and generally feeling a bit Tom while in the house. I put a CO logger in his front room and sure enough his coal burner was doing its best to kill him.
minimoog

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Aesgarth wrote:It dosen't need to be a decent one, my home made outdoor stoves with badly sealed doors and permanently open vents will run overnight without going out with little effort.

Build thread?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

That or it's been installed by a HETAS fitter... You don't need both.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.

I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Are you burning pallets you find? Like a womble might.

Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:It dosen't need to be a decent one, my home made outdoor stoves with badly sealed doors and permanently open vents will run overnight without going out with little effort.

Build thread?

Not much to them, I'll dig out a few photos tomorrow.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.

I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.

Willow is horrendous to burn. Too wet and you end up with a chimney coated in creosote, too dry and it's like burning paper. The window where it'll actually burn properly is tiny. Most arborists will burn it on site rather than log and remove.
Käsemeister

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm

minimoog wrote:As part of my first job I had to visit a guy who was complaining about chronic drowsiness/falling asleep in front of the telly all the time and generally feeling a bit Tom while in the house. I put a CO logger in his front room and sure enough his coal burner was doing its best to kill him.

Did he have cherry red lips out of interest?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:

Willow is horrendous to burn. Too wet and you end up with a chimney coated in creosote, too dry and it's like burning paper. The window where it'll actually burn properly is tiny. Most arborists will burn it on site rather than log and remove.

It's not quite that bad. It does burn quickly and not give off a huge amount of heat when it's properly dry but when it's free, it's totally ok. I think the tree surgeons just bin it off as they can't sell it. I've burning loads of it from a massive willow we had trimmed last year. I'm not sure it's a hardwood though is it?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm

It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?

The tree surgeon I've used in the past sells his Willow as logs, I've also seen it suggested on forums as a good wood to grow for your own log supply as it's fast growing and burns well. It lasts about three or four times longer than Pine in my experience, so it's not bad on a fire.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Had mine tested today. Smoke bomb showed the system is all good and sealed. Booked a sweep too and hopefully soon I'll be all set.

They also did a check with the extractor fan on in the kitchen. It's a big one above the range and with all windows closed and the fan on full it's enough to suck the air down the chimney and kill the fire. And fill the house with thick acrid smoke.

They did a quick demo showing me how to light and adjust it. Even just with kindling burning it gave me the massive horn.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

My tree surgeon said he wouldn't dream of selling it and I definitely wouldn't buy it. As far as comparing it with pine, I think burning pine on a burner is totally pointless. Too fast and too sappy.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Nice one Kung.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 pm

I mentioned pine as I've burned quite a lot of offcuts since being here. They make great kindling.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:

It's not quite that bad. It does burn quickly and not give off a huge amount of heat when it's properly dry but when it's free, it's totally ok. I think the tree surgeons just bin it off as they can't sell it. I've burning loads of it from a massive willow we had trimmed last year. I'm not sure it's a hardwood though is it?

Totally, I burn it here all the time as we have so many of them and they regularly fall over or shit branches. Hooli-ist was saying he couldn't keep it burning overnight and that's why - because it's shit.

I'll burn anything however, don't care. As you rightly say, if it's free, it burns. Expecting the same performance as a proper hardwood though, no.
Käsemeister

Post by Strawman @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am

Hooli wrote:It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?

Deciduous means, sheds all it's leaves in winter and/or a dry season annually, rather than evergreen where individual leaves die off throughout the year but the overall leaf count is fairly constant, hence the tree is always green. Hardwoods are defined as having vessels inside the wood structure while softwoods do not, but confusingly some hardwoods are soft, like Balsa, and some softwoods relatively hard like Yew.

Jenka hardness test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
Strawman

Post by Hooli @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Strawman wrote:
Hooli wrote:It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?

Deciduous means, sheds all it's leaves in winter and/or a dry season annually, rather than evergreen where individual leaves die off throughout the year but the overall leaf count is fairly constant, hence the tree is always green. Hardwoods are defined as having vessels inside the wood structure while softwoods do not, but confusingly some hardwoods are soft, like Balsa, and some softwoods relatively hard like Yew.

Jenka hardness test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

Interesting, I thought it was as simple as hardwoods are deciduous. I didn't realise it was a such physical difference in the structure of the wood.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Previous

Return to Houses and Blouses