Clothing Wants and Purchases

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Clothing Wants and Purchases

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 am

Dunno. I'm just going by the google image search and the fact that the new pair have this sole.
image.jpeg
So fresh, so clean
image.jpeg (110.04 KiB) Viewed 7125 times
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:11 am

I always thought that "vibram" referred to the material of which the soles are made.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:23 am

Vibram is the company started by Vitale Bramani and they make soles from rubber, PU and EVA.

Sadly none of this helps Dames on his quest to find wedge-soley boots.
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:31 am

thekungfury wrote:Vibram is the company started by Vitale Bramani and they make soles from rubber, PU and EVA.

Sadly none of this helps Dames on his quest to find wedge-soley boots.

That much is true.

What happens if you search for 'cream soled boot' or something?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:32 am

I probably oughtn't get any more boots. I was just thinking this morning that perhaps I already have too many pairs (11 various pairs, approx).
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:57 pm

DaTho have you ventured onto the Heddels forum?

I just saw this. http://forum.heddels.com/t/waywt-what-are-you-wearing-today/354/193

If you scroll up you'll see the entire thread is just one weird looking woman posting pictures in exactly the same pose wearing slightly different jeans. It's like Charlie Foxtrot's photo a day thing only worse.

There is page after page of exactly the same.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:21 pm

thekungfury wrote:DaTho have you ventured onto the Heddels forum?

Nope. I get their daily email (FOTD) but even that feels a bit of a sad admission. I didn't even realise there was a forum there, and if it's as barmy as you say I must of course immediately check it out.

Here. Hide my wallet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 pm

DaTho I just got this email from SoSo.

They would be actual bulletproof
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:49 am

Bulletproof, and literally impossible to actually wear.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by spast1kunt @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:33 am

Just get a pair of trousers milled out of a billet of solid denim and be done with it.
spast1kunt

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 am

As Paul Smith has now decided to be a massive fanny and alter the sizing on his jeans so that I have to keep returning them, I have gone back to Levis. (See Dirk, there are some Jews I don't avoid)

I bought 2 pairs of 511 slim fit: one strong and one selvedge.

They arrived promptly and fitted perfectly and were cheaper than cnut Smith jeans.
Also I look like a denim god.

N.B. I will not be having turn-ups.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 am

Slim fit Levi's are a good jean I reckon. What weight denim is the selvedge Ildo?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Slim fit Levi's are a good jean I reckon. What weight denim is the selvedge Ildo?

Midweight- 12oz I think.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:29 am

Ideal then. I think I'll go slightly heavier next time though. The ones I've got on now are 12.75oz and it's easy to forget that even these are much heavier than normal jeans. I might edge up to 14 or 15, but I'll leave the ridic heavy stuff for Kung.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Mine are 13.5 and 14.5 so not super heavy. I'm breaking in the heavier UB201 at the moment and they're much more comfortable and willing to soften than the lighter pair. They're noticeably not as well made though. Stitching is cheaper and basic. The other pair have a fair bit of reinforcement and I reckon they'll last longer.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 pm

What are the other pair tk? Remind me.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:34 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:What are the other pair tk? Remind me.

Howies Kuroki.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I have been very much not buying things lately, but instead rediscovering things I have already owned for ages. It's quite nice to realise that I love *this* jacket, instead of spending £150 on a new one. Or that *these* boots are just as fab as the new ones I was looking at that are exactly the same.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Is this the sober you taking over?
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:13 pm

I was sober for two and a half months. Lots of things seem to have changed in that time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:01 pm

ATT: Piquet.

Tell me everything about your Uniqlo jeans please. I want to trial some selvedge jeans in black and I don't want to spend too much on them because I won't wear them as much as my indigos.

Uniqlo do black at just £40 but what's the fit like? They look a bit loose on the website. What's the weight? How's the detailing?

Thoughts please.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Piquet @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Yeah, Uniqlo always use really shit pictures for their website for some reason. The current lot aren't quite the same as my ones (they seem to be putting a little elastane in them now whereas mine are 100% cotton), but I expect the cuts are the same, and they're actually very nice. My slim fit ones look well-fitted. I don't know how tight you like your trousers but these are human leg-shaped without being anywhere near emo skinny. The detailing is nice enough without being spectacular. I'd say they don't look like what you would expect of £40 jeans but they don't look really expensive either. They're smart, solid jeans. Mine have faded a little bit in the two years I've had them, around the seams and the pockets where you can see the outline of my old phone. I think it looks good.

I don't know how to answer about weight. They don't have a figure written anywhere, and to me they just feel normal. Maybe slightly heavier than other jeans I've had. They're not like Fury's armour trousers, I can tell you that.

I would advise sizing up an inch. Also, they do lose their dye a bit as well to begin with, but all raw jeans do I believe. I washed mine immediately when I bought them and probably had a couple of days of moderate dye loss and then a few weeks of slight loss.

I would say that they definitely look better than £40 jeans and they last very well - they're wearing much better than the Levi's I had, which after a year and a half were fraying and had a hole in the gooch (although they weren't selvedge so that probably contributed). I am confident that you'd be happy with them. I will definitely buy Uniqlo jeans again.
Piquet

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:19 pm

That's brilliant, exactly the comprehensive details I was hoping for - thanks.

I like a slim fit, and in my GAP selvedge I had to go to their skinny to get what I was after. It's by no means a skinny skinny, like a gay man's or a student's - but they're straight and slim and neat over the tops of my boots. They're literally perfect for what I want, and every single other man I see in jeans either looks like a try-hard fashion ponce or a flapping-legged buffoon. From what you suggest, Uniqlo might be just fine.

I've been out today going to actual shops in actual town, trying to buy some black jeans. I'm not determined to get selvedge - just something solid and hard-wearing - although my experience with the ones I'm now wearing has made me see "ordinary" jeans as feeble and a bit namby pamby. I looked at Levis and Wrangler and Lee and some designer ones and some store-brand ones, and without exception they all seem to be made out of the same cotton fabric that t shirts are made of. So stupidly thin and flimsy and pathetic I'd be frightened to sit in a chair in them in case they wore right through immediately.

I don't want any extravagant details, just a nice fit put together well that won't explode into disarray and ruin if I wear them outside or climb a tree. I might well try the Uniqlo blacks, although the 2% elastane bothers me vaguely. I'll let you know what happens, and how I get on.

And eventually I'll write a field report on my 1969s because I love them more every single day.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Piquet @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:24 pm

No worries. I'm slightly annoyed about the elastane as well and if they offered fully cotton ones I'd choose them. I expect they'll be ok though. I recently bought a shirt with a tiny bit of elastane and I wouldn't have been able to tell if I hadn't known about it, so I think the jeans will be fine, but it feels a bit perverted somehow.

Mine could certainly take a tree climb. I said before that they're not much heavier than other jeans I've had, but now I think again when I first got them they were noticeably stiffer than other pairs, like you reported when you first got selvedges. They're nice and supple now but still hardwearing.

I've had a look at the GAP skinny jeans and I think the Uniqlo ones are probably a little bit looser, but by no means the awful loose fits that you describe. I can take a picture of my ones on my very own legs for reference if that would help.
Piquet

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:49 pm

It's always interesting to see pictures, but there's no need on my account. I keep trying to take a decent photo of my jeans but can't seem to capture how the colour's evolved. They appear different all the time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Here's what "skinny" means in GAPland though:

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Piquet @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:31 pm

The Uniqlos are looser than that but not by an awful lot, and I think half of the difference is just that they are shorter so there's less stacking in the lower legs.

Here are my legs. Sorry for the rubbish front-facing camera resolution. Phone fade is on my right thigh!

Jeans.jpg
Jeans.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
Last edited by Piquet on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piquet

Post by moleamol @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:47 pm

I have jeans with a bit of elastane in them, I like them and I think they just hug my fabulous arse better than standard jeans. So basically elastane is a fcuking treat for the ladies and the gays.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 pm

moleamol wrote:I have jeans with a bit of elastane in them, I like them and I think they just hug my fabulous arse better than standard jeans. So basically elastane is a fcuking treat for the ladies and the gays.

My daughter wears jeggings too.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:26 am

thekungfury wrote:
moleamol wrote:I have jeans with a bit of elastane in them, I like them and I think they just hug my fabulous arse better than standard jeans. So basically elastane is a fcuking treat for the ladies and the gays.

My daughter wears jeggings too.

Ooof

:D
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to Houses and Blouses