Autumn / Winter jackets & coats 2016

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Autumn / Winter jackets & coats 2016

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:36 am

I love jackets, me. And coats. Love coats. And now the weather's gone all rubbish again and will stay so until next March we can all talk about coats and jackets and I will be happy again. So. What have you got for this new bad weather? What might you buy? What do you need persuading that you absolutely must buy because at the moment you're slightly unsure?

Obviously FurDonga none of this applies to you so please don't read it. It's all hand-holding and faux fashionistas here.

I'm mildly cross that I haven't got a new jacket to go into this Winter with. I've tried though. I bought a leather jacket from Mango but it wouldn't do up. So I sent it back for the next size (Medium), but that wouldn't do up either! It's almost as though those rotten Spaniards are trying to ruin my self esteem. Although they are failing of course. So now I haven't got any leather jackets, and there's nothing else that's caught my eye either.

Which means that I'm heading Winterlong armed only with my two Barbours - my black lightweight International which keeps me dry but not warm, and my olive International which has a pop-in fleecy pile liner so keeps me (slightly less)dry and warm too. You might not believe it, but that's all my coats. Well, them and a pocketable cagoule thing.

Tell me about your coats and your coats of the future!!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: Autumn / Winter jackets & coats 2014

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 am

Good timely thread, well done.

I'm in the market for a new winter coat.

Here's my current line-up: Belstaff waxed thing (don't wear it much), Berghaus technical thing (wear it for walks etc but it's purely a wet weather coat, NF puffa which needs replacing.

I like down filled jackets but don't want to look like a mountaineer all the time so want something streetesque but lovely and warm. Something from Moncler would be nice, moreso if not needing a mortgage.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:49 am

I would like to explore the options of downs, but unfortunately feathers are one of the many many things that my wife is allergic to. We've had a preposterous conversation wherein I incredulously said "but surely feathers inside my coat wouldn't be able to make you allergic and ill?" and she said "well I don't know but I'm not taking the chance. If they did then I would simply not spend any time near you or the coat until you threw it away". So I don't look at downs now.

And that, deev, is how you compromise.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:56 am

You can get synthetic Downs that is easier to care for and stuff - Montane do some nice ones.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:57 am

Also, you are both allergic to everything - You'd be shit farmers.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:You can get synthetic Downs that is easier to care for and stuff - Montane do some nice ones.

I know, but sadly I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for or at with those. Are those synth-downs jackets waterproof as well as warm? I struggle to see the point of a bad weather coat that lets you get wet.

e: I'm only allergic to one thing. One! Albeit one that's used to make just about every foodstuff known to man.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Damien Thorn wrote:And that, deev, is how you compromise.

In your position, I'd buy a feather one, lie, and tell her it was synthetic and see if she went swollen or not. But that's how I compromise. By lying.

My quiver is looking pretty strong for A/W 2014 and I can't see me especially adding to it.

I'm currently running:

Belstaff Roadmaster - wet, not-cold days, biking about town etc.
Barbour Ursula - much the same but a different colour
Barbour Beaufort with zip in quilted gilet - cold or hot, wet or dry.
Navy Pea Coat - Cold Winter days when I want to look like an actor
Fjallraven Greenland - No good in the wet, annoyingly, even waxed.
A couple of smart wool coats - fast winter suit work.
A black high collared greatcoat thing - again, very smart but ace.
A couple of blouson jackets - out of season
A leather A1 jacket - Good in winter and surprisingly warm
A couple of leather 'biker' jackets - out of season
My Mountain Equipment down FCUKER - going to be broken out in November as it's just too hot any other time. Best, comfiest, warmest thing ever.
Couple of tweeds - country casual, like.

I think I'm done.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:59 am

You can get downs coats that don't have downs. Y'know. Synthetic fill and that.

I'm in desperate need of something warm and stylish for pub runs/general winteryness too. I'm keeping my Ted Baker peacoat for best. Yes, I know that speaks volumes.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Disastrous wrote:My quiver is looking pretty strong for A/W 2014 and I can't see me especially adding to it.

I'm currently running:

My Mountain Equipment down FCUKER - going to be broken out in November as it's just too hot any other time. Best, comfiest, warmest thing ever.

I think I'm done.

You're exactly as bad as everyone thinks I am.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:My quiver is looking pretty strong for A/W 2014 and I can't see me especially adding to it.

I'm currently running:

I think I'm done.

I like clothes.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Down or pseudo-down jackets aren't meant to be waterproof, on the whole. But if they do get wet synthetic is supposedly better because it doesn't become a mushy mass of sodden feather, and retains more of its loft so it's warmer. And it dries quicker afterwards.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

I'm currently running:

I think I'm done.

I like clothes.

I do to.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:41 pm

minimoog wrote:Down or pseudo-down jackets aren't meant to be waterproof, on the whole. But if they do get wet synthetic is supposedly better because it doesn't become a mushy mass of sodden feather, and retains more of its loft so it's warmer. And it dries quicker afterwards.

Only just seen that you posted this moog. What's the point of a Winter coat that isn't waterproof? In this country, anyway.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
minimoog wrote:Down or pseudo-down jackets aren't meant to be waterproof, on the whole. But if they do get wet synthetic is supposedly better because it doesn't become a mushy mass of sodden feather, and retains more of its loft so it's warmer. And it dries quicker afterwards.

Only just seen that you posted this moog. What's the point of a Winter coat that isn't waterproof? In this country, anyway.

When it's really cold, it doesn't rain!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

When it's really cold, it snows. Which is wet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

When it's really cold, it snows. Which is wet.

A down jacket is so insulated that it doesn't tend to warm up at all on the outer surface threedots the snow doesn't melt on it.

My NF down jacket has been a brilliant winter coat for years now and never has it got wet - it's a shame my arms have grown too long for it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I like down filled jackets but don't want to look like a mountaineer all the time so want something streetesque but lovely and warm.

Feeling you. Like an embarrassed parent I enjoy the down but want to keep it hidden.

Quite like the Jack Wolfskin Anchorage Parka from pictures but want to try it on.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

For smart work stuff this -
except I look even better in it.
I also have a Paul Smith overcoat but it seems to have shrunk.

Barbour Bedale for most days at work or weekends.
My everyday jacket. Literally.

Down filled mountain walking jacket puffa thing in case it all goes very arctic.

Might get a showerproof coach's jacket thing, to go over a jumper.
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Tumescent Acorn wrote:Might get a showerproof coach's jacket thing, to go over a jumper.

Hmm. This is the niche I'm lacking in. This is what I wanted my Mango jacket to fill, but unfortunately I over-filled my Mango jacket haha! I currently want a throw-it-on-over-a-t-shirt-or-light-jumper short jacket, and I want a big Winter off coat. And I don't know which one I want more.

Both, probably.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm

TKF wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I like down filled jackets but don't want to look like a mountaineer all the time so want something streetesque but lovely and warm.

Feeling you. Like an embarrassed parent I enjoy the down but want to keep it hidden.

Quite like the Jack Wolfskin Anchorage Parka from pictures but want to try it on.

I'd need to see someone wearing this as I'm not sure about it in that picture. It's quite Fargo-ey which I quite like about it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tumescent Acorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:23 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tumescent Acorn wrote:Might get a showerproof coach's jacket thing, to go over a jumper.

Hmm. This is the niche I'm lacking in. This is what I wanted my Mango jacket to fill, but unfortunately I over-filled my Mango jacket haha! I currently want a throw-it-on-over-a-t-shirt-or-light-jumper short jacket, and I want a big Winter off coat. And I don't know which one I want more.

Both, probably.

This is the kind of thing I meant.
Amazon for £20 ish - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rawlings-Nylon-Coaches-Jacket-Large/dp/B003BTOPBC/ref=sr_1_3?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1413202843&sr=1-3
Tumescent Acorn

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Tumescent Acorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Both, probably.

This is the kind of thing I meant.
Amazon for £20 ish - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rawlings-Nylon-Coaches-Jacket-Large/dp/B003BTOPBC/ref=sr_1_3?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1413202843&sr=1-3

I thought you bought one of those out a charity shop not so long ago.

To be honest, it's not a good look for me. It reminds me of the 80's output of Frank and Dean when they'd have a cover photo with a middle aged man (Frank and/or Dean) wearing a jacket like that (or maybe a satin blouson) with a team cap. An awful look.

Would it go with your performance boots?

Not convinced on the Wolfskin parka either, sadly. 2M, I thought you had a ridiculous Canada Goose thing like that?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:43 pm

I'm afraid I agree. TA's waterproof is only missing a Subaru 555 logo across the back to complete the look, and Teekle's parka looks like every other slightly-technical parka ever. For Fargo-ing you need more bulk and more fur and either a natural hue (olive or dun or somesuch) or red / orange. Black just makes it look like your mum bought it for you.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I didn't know you play golf.
minimoog

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Disastrous wrote: 2M, I thought you had a ridiculous Canada Goose thing like that?

I do have a Canada Goose Expedition but it's so extreme, it's almost unwearable. It needs to be at least -5 to be able to wear it and even then, if you start moving you get too hot pretty quick.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:55 pm

You want an Alpha Industries parka then. An N-3B, like this -

Don't stand like matey boy though, obv - or people will presume that what's in your holdall is bummer's paraphernalia.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dr Wolff @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:56 pm

I am in desperate need and in the mood to spend.
Current wardrobe contains 3 overcoats, one mohair from Savile Row (suitable for funerals and carriages at 2 o'clock), an ancient Crombie, and a Burberry mac. One leather jacket and a crap skiing jacket.
Need something relatively water/showerproof, not bulky as I have to get in & out of cars a lot, warmish but I am in and out of overheated flats a lot. Have Barbour got any more stylish over the years?
And I don't do tweed - that was an ironic statement in my twenties, but would now just make me feel old.
Dr Wolff

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 pm

People will assume a holdall like that is stuffed with bummer's paraphernalia regardless of how you stand.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Dr Wolff wrote:Have Barbour got any more stylish over the years?

Barbour have got more everything. But my International is the same jacket as people have been wearing for 60 years so I don't know. They do do some neat parka-esque jackets now, and not everything looks equestrian. I just hate all their quilted business.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
TKF wrote:

I'd need to see someone wearing this as I'm not sure about it in that picture. It's quite Fargo-ey which I quite like about it.

Same here and also laugh out lol because I was also looking at this jacket.
Last edited by thekungfury on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Next

Return to Houses and Blouses