Kitchen

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Kitchen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:09 am

Hello. My kitchen in my house is shit. You may remember shocking scenes from such previous horror threads as "show me your kitchen", where it was revealed that we never put in a new kitchen when we bought our house 12 years ago, and now still haven't. Except, this year we are.

But I haven't ever bought a new kitchen before (all my houses came with kitchens in them, and I've never lived anywhere long enough to change one before) and I would be glad to listen to advice from people who have. We've started with obvious things to get an idea of what we want, and have had designs done at B&Q and Wren so far - Wren seem expensive but nice, and I've heard that B&Q are a bit shonky and disappointing. Mrs Thorn has susbscribed to Which which has given us some other ideas who to look at, but what have you found if you've been through it all before?

Our kitchen is small and will be humble and simple; but I want it to be not even slightly shit and I want it to be smart and robust.

- are there better places to look than the High Street?
- any personal experiences of massive bitterness and recrimination, or of wondrous delight?
- the internet is a minefield, suggestions?
- I know we have some rental owners here; you must have had to put in robust kitchens on a budget - thoughts?

Any help or suggestions welcomed as I'm starting from knowing nothing.

e: I'm a pov of course, so would like the whole thing to come in around 10K
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: Kitchen

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 am

Just stick one of these in the garden and turn your kitchen into an extra room:

Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 am

Can you just change the cabinet doors and worktops, if the carcass underneath is fine ?
Strawman

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 am

I shall be applying for this post.
As you know I well love a kitchen and as you also know I've seen your kitchen. I feel this makes me well placed to be lead designer on this project and I'm very much looking forward to ruining your budget.

Thanks.
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:25 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:Just stick one of these in the garden and turn your kitchen into an extra room:

No.

Strawman wrote:Can you just change the cabinet doors and worktops, if the carcass underneath is fine ?

No. It's all wretched.

Bodhi wrote:I shall be applying for this post.
As you know I well love a kitchen and as you also know I've seen your kitchen. I feel this makes me well placed to be lead designer on this project and I'm very much looking forward to ruining your budget.

Thanks.

Uh oh.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 am

I hate to say it, but some friends had a very nice and what seems like a reasonably price kitchen fitted from IKEA. All very on-trend matt-grey units with a lovely, but undoubtedly high-maintenance wooden work surface.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:28 am

GingerNinja wrote:I hate to say it, but some friends had a very nice and what seems like a reasonably price kitchen fitted from IKEA.

My missus's Which suggests that IKEA is a very good avenue to explore, but we haven't yet because it's a truly hateful place to physically go to and their online kitchen planner software makes my laptop shit its pieces.

e:
GingerNinja wrote:All very on-trend matt-grey units with a lovely, but undoubtedly high-maintenance wooden work surface.

I like grey but we'll get white because I suspect grey kitchens are the new avocado bathroom suites. I don't want wooden worktops really because we are too lazy to look after them. I want granite that will shrug off pots, pans, spills and children alike.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 am

We had ours completely gutted and refitted a few years ago. It was done by a family friend who's a builder. We told him broadly what we wanted and he came up with some designs. He said it would take a week (which I was sceptical about) but it turned out to be three weeks, though the last few days was IMO really a case of the builders slacking off to avoid being put on a new job halfway through the week.

It cost somewhere in the region of £20K though it's a big room and we had it completely replastered, new floor, new appliances, everything. The builder wanted to box in all the appliances but I don't actually mind seeing the fridge door so we just integrated the dishwasher. The builder got the units and doors at trade price which turned out to be a LOT cheaper than any deal we could have got with any of the kitchen showrooms we visited.

Personally, I would spend as much as you can reasonably afford on it - you're not going to change it every couple of years so it needs to be robust AND not inspire hate so I would avoid anything too lairy, colour-wise. Also consider how you'll actually use it. We have a really deep corner cupboard which is nearly impossible to get stuff out of unless it's right at the front so in retrospect I'd have done that differently. And not making the shelves on the upper units so high that you need to climb on a chair to get a tin of beans.

We have olive green walls and dark wood cupboards with cream tiles and floor.

ETA: Avoid granite worktops - they are a bitch to keep clean. We have a kind of composite which looks nice but isn't hideously impractical.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:34 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:We had ours completely gutted and refitted a few years ago. It was done by a family friend who's a builder.

We could look into this too. Our friend and neighbour is a builder who has tons of kitchen exp.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 am

Howdens do decent, and reasonably priced kitchens.
They only supply to the trade so you find your builder/kitchen fitter and he will definitely have an account with them.
https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-collection/

My observation was that they were better quality than the high street for less money.
Oh, click on the wanky named "kitchen families"
Last edited by Turntable on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 am

Turntable wrote:Howdens do decent, and reasonably priced kitchens.
They only supply to the trade so you find your builder/kitchen fitter and he will definitely have an account with them.

My observation was that they were better quality than the high street for less money.

Thank you. I will speak to my neighbour about them.

e: their gloss white integrated handle is just what we're looking for.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:39 am

Our new one is IKEA.

They're very good quality IMO but something to be aware of is that they don't have cavities at the rear for plumbing (IIRC all scandi/euro pipes run underfloor) so if you have any pipe work running along the rear of your existing units, you'll need to budget for re-routing them or cutting holes in your new units.

That aside they hang in a clever way. You affix a metal baton to the wall which the units hang off and then you adjust the feet at the bottom. Perfect if you have an Edwardian tenement in Glasgow with floors and walls that are all on the piss.

Ours is a BODBYN, if you care, as that's what she wanted.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:40 am

I fitted a Howdens kitchen as I was owed a favour by a supplier and got it at trade price.

It has performed faultlessly and after 8 years still looks new.

I got the granite tops/upstands/ledges made by a mate who owns a marble/granite company so I can't comment on Howden's worktops.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:55 am

Have also heard good things about Howdens but have been impressed with IKEA's current range too, at least for how they look. Mine is in desperate need of replacing but it'll mean the whole walls/floors plumbing shizzle too so never gonna happen, especially with 7m+ of worktops and cupboards to fund too.
minimoog

Post by Ghost @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:02 pm

For what they are, kitchen units are the biggest rip off going. Carcases are pretty much the same whether they come from Ikea or Smallbone (and you don't see them anyway) so just get them fromI kea or similar and find some nice doors that any decent chippie can fit. Then it's down to whatever work surfaces you want, wood, granite etc although the latter will be the priciest element if that is what you want.
Ghost

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 pm

I have a Howdens kitchen. It has stood the test of time for nearly a decade and there's just one bit of laminate edging that's lifting. Solid carcasses, proper adjusty wossnames holding cupboards on the wall (so you can get them absolutely dead straight in three axes) and the fronts are easy to clean and hide dings and marks well.

And yes, my kitchen fitter mate had to order it.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Kitchen

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 pm

Likewise fitted Howdens for our renovation a couple of years ago. £4K ish after haggling by our fitter, and we got the work tops made by a little trade bunch outside Abergavenny who were preposterously cheap, so that was about another 2.5k on top fitted.

You really don't need to spend berserk amounts. Admittedly that's without applicants but even those were Miele outlet so daft prices. The only thing we paid full whack for was the second warming drawer which was discontinued so we had to hunt it down somewhere other than the outlet.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:ETA: Avoid granite worktops - they are a bitch to keep clean. We have a kind of composite which looks nice but isn't hideously impractical.

I've only just noticed this edit. Really? When we've looked at worktop materials in person the granite has seemed no-brainer superior. I won't have laminate again, ever. And wood will be too much bother. We looked at "Quartz" too, which is a made-up thing approximating the granite, but the Quartz showed grease marks (even from our childrens' fingers in the shop) and the granite just didn't.

Why is it hard to keep clean do you think?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:32 pm

The IKEA worktop we have is quite clever, I thought. It's Oak veneer, meaning you oil it once, and not worry too much about it and if it gets properly cnut, you can just get it sanded down. Half the price of solid oak and essentially the same to my eyes. It's been pretty good on the stain resistance front but no kids obv.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Disastrous wrote:The IKEA worktop we have is quite clever, I thought. It's Oak veneer, meaning you oil it once, and not worry too much about it and if it gets properly cnut, you can just get it sanded down. Half the price of solid oak and essentially the same to my eyes. It's been pretty good on the stain resistance front but no kids obv.

I was reading about that on their website at the weekend. Simply put, my children are awful and will destroy a wooden worktop in seconds. You might remember that my little girl drew unicorns and fairies all over the wooden floor in our dining room and has subsequently coloured in the dinner table and scored the top up with pencils. And drew magic ponies all over the bannister literally the moment the fresh undercoat had dried. And drew princesses all along the wall under her bed so I couldn't see them, and has used her rubber name stamp to stamp her name indelibly all over the wooden top of her new desk in her bedroom.

My son is less naughty but is clumsy with mess and tends to get food everywhere on everything.

Thus, I'm shying away from wood.

e: also, I've just remembered, tried out her new big teeth by biting into the headboard of her new wooden bed all the way along. So what used to be a nice sweeping wooden curve is now serrated with tooth marks.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Disastrous wrote: Half the price of solid oak and essentially the same to my eyes..

How many millimetres of sanding can you do before your through the veneer?
Strawman

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:45 pm

We're doing our kitchen this year too, got a wall to knock out first though (only taken us two years to make the decision). I'm really struggling with how to design it, but I had a dude on PH mock something up and was quite pleased and may stick with that, the only difference now, being that we have fcuk off huge range cooker instead of the usual thing (wife picked it up off Facebook for nothing and she cut the worktop for it to go in lol!)

Will probably go with a cheap set of carcases and a decent worktop...it's abit like the one piece of designer rule in clothes isn't it? Primark jeans but a Hugo Armarni shirt and you'll look Boss right?
dirtyboy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:01 pm

Yes was going to say this too. Howdens are pretty reasonable for the trade. We're recently extending our house and part of that is to build a utility room which has been fitted with Howden's units and a composite work surface. We've bought bits from different companies rather than a package. It so far looks ace. The kitchen itself was an 80s horror when we bought it. We completely redecorated it, kept the carcasses and sanded and repainted the doors, changed handles, got better appliances and now it looks much better. OK, it's not perfect maybe but to refit a new kitchen of this size would have been 20K+ which I can't afford.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 pm

968 wrote:We're recently extending our house and part of that is to build a utility room which has been fitted with Howden's units and a composite work surface.

Having a utility extension built is the other half of this year's project. I'm hoping to use my old kitchen units, tarted up, in the new utility, and a complete new kitchen in the kitchen.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
968 wrote:We're recently extending our house and part of that is to build a utility room which has been fitted with Howden's units and a composite work surface.

Having a utility extension built is the other half of this year's project. I'm hoping to use my old kitchen units, tarted up, in the new utility, and a complete new kitchen in the kitchen.

So far it's gone really well though not cheap! We've got a strange house with a connected garage that had no access from inside the house into the garage (where the white goods were). So we've knocked through into the garage to create a new utility room and a large new reception room which will also be my study. As a result the kitchen has increased in size too which is a cool bonus. It's not been cheap, so far has cost me around £30k. Ouch. After this the house will be mostly complete.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

wanted to post some before and after photos of the kitchen but am too spastic to work out how to do it on chrome.....
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:ETA: Avoid granite worktops - they are a bitch to keep clean. We have a kind of composite which looks nice but isn't hideously impractical.

I've only just noticed this edit. Really? When we've looked at worktop materials in person the granite has seemed no-brainer superior. I won't have laminate again, ever. And wood will be too much bother. We looked at "Quartz" too, which is a made-up thing approximating the granite, but the Quartz showed grease marks (even from our childrens' fingers in the shop) and the granite just didn't.

Why is it hard to keep clean do you think?

I'm not really sure. I had it in a rental flat once and it just looked dusty and smeary the whole time, then a friend of mine had it in her kitchen and said she regretted it for the same reason. I didn't want laminate and I think what we have is like the quartz thing you've described. Agree re. wood - it looks great when new but I reckon it would look tatty pretty quickly.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Before and....

A nearly complete after
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:15 pm

New extension
Doctor Congo

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Nice Golf.

You can get used kitchen bargains on Ebay.

e.g

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-fitted-k ... ***~9WhYFn
Strawman

Next

Return to Houses and Blouses