Kitchen

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Kitchen

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

minimoog wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh ooh! Floor help, please. We've been arguing for a whole year about flooring in the new kitchen and still can't agree. But have to, because THIS MONTH.

She's always insisted on tiles, and I wanted wood. But now I've finally capitulated about her tiles, she suddenly wants something with some "give" in it, because for some reason. Broken tiles? Dropped plates? No idea.

Anyway. What? I won't have carpet obv, so what's left? Vinyl (ugh!), rubber? She still won't agree to my wood.

Amtico/Karndean.

Seconded. Been very impressed with the Karndean on our new kitchen. Feels warm underfoot like wood and yet is immune to the dog's claws etc.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Disastrous wrote:
minimoog wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh ooh! Floor help, please. We've been arguing for a whole year about flooring in the new kitchen and still can't agree. But have to, because THIS MONTH.

She's always insisted on tiles, and I wanted wood. But now I've finally capitulated about her tiles, she suddenly wants something with some "give" in it, because for some reason. Broken tiles? Dropped plates? No idea.

Anyway. What? I won't have carpet obv, so what's left? Vinyl (ugh!), rubber? She still won't agree to my wood.

Amtico/Karndean.

Seconded. Been very impressed with the Karndean on our new kitchen. Feels warm underfoot like wood and yet is immune to the dog's claws etc.

I've specified Karndean many times in domestic, corporate and healthcare environments. Looks really good (if you choose the finish sensibly) and is really hard wearing. Basically, it's the nuts.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Or wood effect tiles.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm

What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.

http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/de ... explained#

It's vinyl, but not a big roll with a design printed on it. It's individual strips/tiles with a depth of colour and in some designs a textured finish. Many of the wood effect designs have slightly bevelled edges on each strip/plank, so when you lay them it gives the impression of little gaps between the planks, but they're actually tightly butted with no gap.

One of my main bugbears with typical laminate flooring is the bleaching effect the sun has when shining on the floor. All you see is a mass white light area reflecting up and no sight of colour or texture - totally unreal. So a slight texture, both in the joins and in the top finish can make the world of difference in some lighting conditions.

Anyway, it's the tits. Get it ordered.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.

It's vinyl, but not a big roll with a design printed on it. It's individual strips/tiles with a depth of colour and in some designs a textured finish. Many of the wood effect designs have slightly bevelled edges on each strip/plank, so when you lay them it gives the impression of little gaps between the planks, but they're actually tightly butted with no gap.

One of my main bugbears with typical laminate flooring is the bleaching effect the sun has when shining on the floor. All you see is a mass white light area reflecting up and no sight of colour or texture - totally unreal. So a slight texture, both in the joins and in the top finish can make the world of difference in some lighting conditions.

Anyway, it's the tits. Get it ordered.

Ours is 'Knight Tile' in Arctic Wood or some bollocks like that - I really like it despite being ready to hate it when it was spec'd.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:rubber?

Please this
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:

I agree. I fitted Karndean in my utility room/kids coat hanging room which gets the most wear in our house. It is more or less indistinguishable from wood in aesthetics and yet it is 100% maintenance free and looks exactly the same now as when laid 5 years ago despite getting an absolute hammering and no end of liquid over it and dodgy temperatures. I can recommend it enough and would put it all over my house if I was going to have wood or wood-effect.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:19 pm

We have grained Karndean in the study and living room. Lovely stuff.
Käsemeister

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:58 pm

We've got wood effect Karndean in the salon and it's borderline indestructable...brilliant...warm under foot too.

I've got solid oak in the lounge, wouldn't let it near a kitchen, but looks so much better.

I've got natural slate in the kitchen / diner, not cold like I was concerned it would be, does mark fairly easily though, needs a bit of care wiping spillages etc, but does look very nice.

So...my kitchen....came out, went back in, came out again (for tiling) ready for new kitchen, couldn't decide on worktop with wife...lots of fighting....kitchen went back in again, after sitting on the drive for a week. Doesn't fit properly, got wet and will also tip over if you open two drawers as I never bolted it back lol!

Going to America in May, have to pay for that next month, so kitchen is still on hold until I know how much USA costs in total. If there's any change from £15k that'll go back into house, but we did knock the wall out and do floowing it's made a huge difference.

Going for a solid quartz worktop with a quooker and we need a new range oven, hence I couldn't afford what was originally just a cheapo kitchen with oak worktop.
dirtyboy

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am

We have Timberjack flooring down in our kitchen. Been down 10 years, still looks good.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:53 am

What's the skinny on Amtico vs Karndean? I have read differing opinions on Karndean, but the other one seems to be universally regarded as better.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 am

Damien Thorn wrote:What's the skinny on Amtico vs Karndean? I have read differing opinions on Karndean, but the other one seems to be universally regarded as better.

When I did my apartment Amtico wanted more than it would cost to put down a marble floor. And the salesman said it might mark if chairs were moved back and forth on it. Not true according to people on here though.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

I've never specified Amtico as it always seems to work out more expensive for what (I believe) is essentially the same thing as Karndean.
Careless Whisperer

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

My parents put a load of Amtico in their old house. It wasn't cheap but it apparently lasts well. When it was put in the flooring people said that if it did get scratched the clear layer on the top was thick enough to be skimmed a couple of times.
spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 am

The new kitchen came yesterday, and immediately my builder has started pulling out the old one. That same feeling of terrible-mistake dismay has descended again that I got when we first moved into the house and realised what a shambles it was in. Now I've got several weeks of camping in my own house to look forward to sigh.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am

My sympathies, DaTho. We had our kitchen gutted and redone about three years ago and it took three weeks, though the builders strung out the last week so they could avoid being put on another job which pissed me off no end.

We had a toaster and kettle in the living room and ate out a lot.

I'm behind on the curve on tile question but we had ceramic tiles. They look great but are a bit cold underfoot. If I could turn back time, I'd have either got underfloor heating put in or gone for Karndean. It was suggested at the time but I turned my nose up because I thought it as just slightly posher lino.

Will you be posting pics of work in progress? I love a good renovation thread.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 am

Pics please Dath.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 am

Solid oak would be crap in the kitchen, but what they call engineered wood is best. Totally suitable for kitchens. Better than fitting some vinyl that just ries to look like it. Fake wood? Just as bad as Trump and his fake news.

So be a man and face down your wife
Dirk

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:39 am

Fourthed for karndean. We got tiles and wished we hadn't. Wood will warp in a humid kitchen so no go.
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 am

Hmm. I'm not sure. I have engineered wood floors in my flat, though not in the kitchen and bathroom, and it looked very tatty after seven years of a tenant being in. There were lots of water marks and one big burn mark (how, even?). Fortunately, they came up nicely with a sand down and refinish but in a kitchen I think it would have looked worse much more quickly.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:54 am

We went for engineered oak in the kitchen and through to the dining room - it's 28mm thick so lovely and warm and will take being sanded multiple times.

We've got Karndean in LMTs bathroom and it's great.

Having the kitchen done is a total pain, took us about 3 weeks, we set up a temporary kitchen in the dining room, used the microwave a lot as well as one of those single plate counter-top induction hobs.

All worth it in the end, we love our kitchen now and shamelessly show it off.
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure. I have engineered wood floors in my flat, though not in the kitchen and bathroom, and it looked very tatty after seven years of a tenant being in. There were lots of water marks and one big burn mark (how, even?). Fortunately, they came up nicely with a sand down and refinish but in a kitchen I think it would have looked worse much more quickly.

I think I was agreeing with you!
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure. I have engineered wood floors in my flat, though not in the kitchen and bathroom, and it looked very tatty after seven years of a tenant being in. There were lots of water marks and one big burn mark (how, even?). Fortunately, they came up nicely with a sand down and refinish but in a kitchen I think it would have looked worse much more quickly.

You slipped a post in while I was typing!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:

You slipped a post in while I was typing!

Ooer Mrs !
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 am

Deuteronomy wrote:We went for engineered oak in the kitchen and through to the dining room - it's 28mm thick so lovely and warm and will take being sanded multiple times.

We've got Karndean in LMTs bathroom and it's great.

Having the kitchen done is a total pain, took us about 3 weeks, we set up a temporary kitchen in the dining room, used the microwave a lot as well as one of those single plate counter-top induction hobs.

All worth it in the end, we love our kitchen now and shamelessly show it off.

We are having tiles on the floor now, so that's that. I can't set up an interim field kitchen in the dining room, because the dining room is full of the new kitchen ready to fit as soon as the floor/ceiling/electrics/plumbing/lighting is done in the room.

The whole house is full of kitchen at the moment. Well, the whole house EXCEPT for the kitchen. I've got crates of pots and pans and plates in all rooms. A microwave in my bedroom. I've got the new appliances in the living room, the worktops in the garage, food all over the place.

FFS!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 am

Dare I say it's a good time to sort out all the tut from your ex-cupboards and ex-drawers?

MiL is a serial kitchen stuff buying addict and we had all sorts of things which she'd given us that we'd never used and never would, plus drawers full of general crap.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

Oh definitely. We've accumulated literally tons of rubbish. I've already pronounced that at least half of it won't be going back into the new kitchen.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh definitely. We've accumulated literally tons of rubbish. I've already pronounced that at least half of it won't be going back into the new kitchen.

You'll need to delete a few of your new cupboards otherwise the shit will just return to fill the space.
I deliberately designed my kitchen with two fewer wall cupboards to prevent this but I still manage to have two floor cupboards full of useless crap.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by moleamol @ Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 am

Have you got a slow cooker DaTho? Could be a good and easy way to get a families worth of nice meal for dinner.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

PreviousNext

Return to Houses and Blouses