Kitchen

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Kitchen

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

minimoog wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh ooh! Floor help, please. We've been arguing for a whole year about flooring in the new kitchen and still can't agree. But have to, because THIS MONTH.

She's always insisted on tiles, and I wanted wood. But now I've finally capitulated about her tiles, she suddenly wants something with some "give" in it, because for some reason. Broken tiles? Dropped plates? No idea.

Anyway. What? I won't have carpet obv, so what's left? Vinyl (ugh!), rubber? She still won't agree to my wood.


Amtico/Karndean.



Seconded. Been very impressed with the Karndean on our new kitchen. Feels warm underfoot like wood and yet is immune to the dog's claws etc.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 36644
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Kitchen

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Disastrous wrote:
minimoog wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh ooh! Floor help, please. We've been arguing for a whole year about flooring in the new kitchen and still can't agree. But have to, because THIS MONTH.

She's always insisted on tiles, and I wanted wood. But now I've finally capitulated about her tiles, she suddenly wants something with some "give" in it, because for some reason. Broken tiles? Dropped plates? No idea.

Anyway. What? I won't have carpet obv, so what's left? Vinyl (ugh!), rubber? She still won't agree to my wood.


Amtico/Karndean.



Seconded. Been very impressed with the Karndean on our new kitchen. Feels warm underfoot like wood and yet is immune to the dog's claws etc.

I've specified Karndean many times in domestic, corporate and healthcare environments. Looks really good (if you choose the finish sensibly) and is really hard wearing. Basically, it's the nuts.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 14021
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Kitchen

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:27 pm

Or wood effect tiles.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 35304
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Kitchen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm

What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 10732
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Kitchen

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:38 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.


http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/de ... explained#

It's vinyl, but not a big roll with a design printed on it. It's individual strips/tiles with a depth of colour and in some designs a textured finish. Many of the wood effect designs have slightly bevelled edges on each strip/plank, so when you lay them it gives the impression of little gaps between the planks, but they're actually tightly butted with no gap.

One of my main bugbears with typical laminate flooring is the bleaching effect the sun has when shining on the floor. All you see is a mass white light area reflecting up and no sight of colour or texture - totally unreal. So a slight texture, both in the joins and in the top finish can make the world of difference in some lighting conditions.

Anyway, it's the tits. Get it ordered.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 14021
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Kitchen

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.


http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/de ... explained#

It's vinyl, but not a big roll with a design printed on it. It's individual strips/tiles with a depth of colour and in some designs a textured finish. Many of the wood effect designs have slightly bevelled edges on each strip/plank, so when you lay them it gives the impression of little gaps between the planks, but they're actually tightly butted with no gap.

One of my main bugbears with typical laminate flooring is the bleaching effect the sun has when shining on the floor. All you see is a mass white light area reflecting up and no sight of colour or texture - totally unreal. So a slight texture, both in the joins and in the top finish can make the world of difference in some lighting conditions.

Anyway, it's the tits. Get it ordered.


Ours is 'Knight Tile' in Arctic Wood or some bollocks like that - I really like it despite being ready to hate it when it was spec'd.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 36644
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Kitchen

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:rubber?

Please this
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 31645
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Kitchen

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:What is it? I always thought that was a make of real wood laminate.


http://www.karndean.com/en-gb/floors/de ... explained#

It's vinyl, but not a big roll with a design printed on it. It's individual strips/tiles with a depth of colour and in some designs a textured finish. Many of the wood effect designs have slightly bevelled edges on each strip/plank, so when you lay them it gives the impression of little gaps between the planks, but they're actually tightly butted with no gap.
.


I agree. I fitted Karndean in my utility room/kids coat hanging room which gets the most wear in our house. It is more or less indistinguishable from wood in aesthetics and yet it is 100% maintenance free and looks exactly the same now as when laid 5 years ago despite getting an absolute hammering and no end of liquid over it and dodgy temperatures. I can recommend it enough and would put it all over my house if I was going to have wood or wood-effect.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 29451
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: Kitchen

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:19 pm

We have grained Karndean in the study and living room. Lovely stuff.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 35304
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Kitchen

Post by dirtyboy @ Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:58 pm

We've got wood effect Karndean in the salon and it's borderline indestructable...brilliant...warm under foot too.

I've got solid oak in the lounge, wouldn't let it near a kitchen, but looks so much better.

I've got natural slate in the kitchen / diner, not cold like I was concerned it would be, does mark fairly easily though, needs a bit of care wiping spillages etc, but does look very nice.

So...my kitchen....came out, went back in, came out again (for tiling) ready for new kitchen, couldn't decide on worktop with wife...lots of fighting....kitchen went back in again, after sitting on the drive for a week. Doesn't fit properly, got wet and will also tip over if you open two drawers as I never bolted it back lol!

Going to America in May, have to pay for that next month, so kitchen is still on hold until I know how much USA costs in total. If there's any change from £15k that'll go back into house, but we did knock the wall out and do floowing it's made a huge difference.

Going for a solid quartz worktop with a quooker and we need a new range oven, hence I couldn't afford what was originally just a cheapo kitchen with oak worktop.
User avatar
dirtyboy
 
Posts: 6468
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Hanging out of your mums arse

Re: Kitchen

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am

We have Timberjack flooring down in our kitchen. Been down 10 years, still looks good.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 13907
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Kitchen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:53 am

What's the skinny on Amtico vs Karndean? I have read differing opinions on Karndean, but the other one seems to be universally regarded as better.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 10732
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Kitchen

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 am

Damien Thorn wrote:What's the skinny on Amtico vs Karndean? I have read differing opinions on Karndean, but the other one seems to be universally regarded as better.

When I did my apartment Amtico wanted more than it would cost to put down a marble floor. And the salesman said it might mark if chairs were moved back and forth on it. Not true according to people on here though.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 10478
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Kitchen

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

I've never specified Amtico as it always seems to work out more expensive for what (I believe) is essentially the same thing as Karndean.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 14021
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Kitchen

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

My parents put a load of Amtico in their old house. It wasn't cheap but it apparently lasts well. When it was put in the flooring people said that if it did get scratched the clear layer on the top was thick enough to be skimmed a couple of times.
User avatar
spast1kunt
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Previous

Return to Houses and Blouses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles