House selling advice

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

House selling advice

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am

Last week we accepted an offer on our place and had an offer accepted on a place we want to buy. Our buyer is a FTB couple currently living with parents in an annex and their parents are gifting them the deposit. Perfect.

Except yesterday we found out that the deposit was reliant on their parents selling one of their properties which was due to complete last Tuesday but their chain has fallen through. So whilst we're technically not in their chain they're not able to get a mortgage without it so the chains are linked.

Our upward chain is anxious to get things moving. 2 houses up put their house back on a few weeks back to force their buyers into action. They were also talking about taking it off the market to rent it out.

Our buyer's name is double-barrelled and easily googleable. Their FB profiles are open too so I've been able to snoop a tonne of info including address, employers and details both sets of parents. The place they're living currently is the annex of her parents in a private gated community in Ascot. Parents directors in a few firms including property management. Minted, basically.

So, I'm thinking of contacting him (my buyer) directly to talk things through. My wife says that'll raise questions about how I found their details which could get me into shit and at the minimum screw up our sale. I disagree. What say you?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Re: House selling advice

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:01 am

Difficult to say, I can't advise sadly, but at least I know I didn't give the wrong advice.
Strawman

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 am

thekungfury wrote:So, I'm thinking of contacting him (my buyer) directly to talk things through. My wife says that'll raise questions about how I found their details which could get me into shit and at the minimum screw up our sale. I disagree. What say you?

I think you can do it without showing your snooping - just tell the EA you'd like to speak directly to the buyer.

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to maybe invite them round for a chat one evening and put it out there that the chain is about to totally collapse because of them and is there anything at all they can think of that could enable them to proceed without selling their house. What's the downside?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:04 am

Having said that, be careful not to assume that wealth = cash in bank.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Bodhi @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am

I'd definitely speak to them. When we bought our house last year everything was so much easier going via the vendors rather than have to fcuk around with the EA.

Why does the missus think it will fcuk up the sale if you googled them? You didn't do anything illegal. Weird and slightly uncomfortable sure, but not illegal.
Bodhi

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am

Difficult. I pretty much automatically assume in this day and age that everyone googles everyone and knows exactly where people live etc etc so someone contacting me wouldn't surprise me in the least but maybe some people are still weird about that?

Anyway, that aside, from a buying perspective I've been doing near everything to talk to people directly and not via agents and it really makes life easier all round. Again, some people might be massive babies about that though so dunno.

I would do it personally, as I hate long drawn out wishy washy stuff and require bull by the horns resolutions at all times.

Also, when you contact them, would it be better to frame it as 'a discussion to figure out the best way forward rather than just assuming they're minted? They might be penniless rich...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Having said that, be careful not to assume that wealth = cash in bank.

Tru dat. But better chance of being able to lay their hands on money.

Bodhi wrote:Why does the missus think it will fcuk up the sale if you googled them? You didn't do anything illegal. Weird and slightly uncomfortable sure, but not illegal.

It's the weird and uncomfortable stalker calling them out of the blue she has trouble with.

I'll ask our EA for their details to speak to them and sound them out I think.
thekungfury

Post by NNK @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:14 am

As lots of TKF s distant relations will still be in the vicinity , after running the fun fair at Epsom and causing fights at Ascot, what could go wrong with meeting up and speaking in Romany to the potential buyers ?
NNK

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:18 am

I agree with your wife. It would just come across as weird and slightly aggressive, regardless of how reasonable the conversation was.
But I have done it in the past via the EA. I feel the EA is a complete barrier to reasonable discussion.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:34 am

Do it. The worst that could happen is that they're an old East London crime family trying to go sort-of-straight, and they figure out that you've internet-stalked them, and they put your windows and kneecaps and face in.
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:11 am

Turntable wrote:I feel the EA is a complete barrier to reasonable discussion.

Exactly my problem here.
thekungfury

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:22 am

My take is, doing a Google on someone nowadays is no different to looking them up in the phone book on the days of yore, say 20 years ago.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 pm

tanglerat wrote:My take is, doing a Google on someone nowadays is no different to looking them up in the phone book on the days of yore, say 20 years ago.

Teekers has top stalking skillz though.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
tanglerat wrote:My take is, doing a Google on someone nowadays is no different to looking them up in the phone book on the days of yore, say 20 years ago.

Teekers has top stalking skillz though.

You're looking tired today. Trouble sleeping?
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 pm

It's a good idea to sell before someone does this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68506097.html

sadly someone at Rightmove has been alerted and they've removed the photo above.

ETA- This is just randomly tagged onto the end of a house sale thread through laziness.
Last edited by Strawman on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Return to Houses and Blouses