Log burners - talk to me

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:31 pm

For kindling my family have always used any old bits of old floorboard etc. cut to length on the band saw and then split with a kindling axe into actualy kindling. Whittling from the logs would work but would take ages.
manfromdelmonte

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 pm

I can't think of an occasion when I've had old bits of old floorboard etc. Surplus floorboard has never happened to me.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Surely you must have thought to yourself that your current situation of full wall-to-wall flooring makes life a bit easy and the family a bit complacent TKF? Where's the jeopardy in life if you know that there's no chance at all of suddenly tumbling nine or ten feet through the ceiling and into the hallway or kitchen when you get up to go for a piss in the middle of the night?
spast1kunt

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:Loads

Ta :thumbup:

Laugh at 28 tonnes. I reckon I'll be alright with less than that tbh.

I reckon we get through 3-4 tonnes a year in just the burner, in comparison.

Not arguing, but are you sure, as that's an awful lot... Is that bagged or actual?

Actually no idea if it's right - I worked on 4 delivered loads of hardwood plus more of my own stuff.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

spast1kunt wrote:Surely you must have thought to yourself that your current situation of full wall-to-wall flooring makes life a bit easy and the family a bit complacent TKF? Where's the jeopardy in life if you know that there's no chance at all of suddenly tumbling nine or ten feet through the ceiling and into the hallway or kitchen when you get up to go for a piss in the middle of the night?

Like setting up a home version of Knightmare?
thekungfury

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:19 pm

You've got to keep the family on their toes somehow Teeks and how better than by ripping up random sections of flooring around the house, particularly upstairs and on the staircase itself, and burning it? When you take the free kindling into account it's a win-win situation all round.
spast1kunt

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 pm

thekungfury wrote:Also, kindling. Do I just buy a little axe/hatchet thing and whittle some down from my log supply?

Of course I'm buying a little axe/hatchet thing btw.

We actually have a log splitter. In our defence, it was bought for us as a present. (It is fun though).
ttwiggy

Post by Fred Flange @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Buying bags of wood?

Log splitters?

I've had a woodburner for nearly 5 years and never paid for wood. Get a chainsaw or a big fcuking axe you wimps, have you never watched Life Below Zero? I just use the chainsaw and then a beat up Kukri for trimming.

Old pallets, offcuts, even beach driftwood are all OK but never use MDF/chipboard etc as this will leave flammable deposits in your flue ( !! ) which could leave you living in a caravan (if you're lucky)
Fred Flange

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm hoping not to have to drive round and find old pallets fly tipped in ditches tbh
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Fred Flange wrote:Buying bags of wood?

Log splitters?

I've had a woodburner for nearly 5 years and never paid for wood. Get a chainsaw or a big fcuking axe you wimps, have you never watched Life Below Zero? I just use the chainsaw and then a beat up Kukri for trimming.

Old pallets, offcuts, even beach driftwood are all OK but never use MDF/chipboard etc as this will leave flammable deposits in your flue ( !! ) which could leave you living in a caravan (if you're lucky)

TBF I think I win at that.

wimp
Käsemeister

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Get a chainsaw or a big fcuking axe you wimps

And some woodland, presumably?
ttwiggy

Post by Fred Flange @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:42 pm

ttwiggy wrote:

I live in the sticks, 10 mins from Lake Windemere to be precise and many of the locals who want trees chopped and shifted will give me a shout. After the 2015 floods hereabouts there were lots of dead and uprooted trees lying around so I just helped myself. A chainsaw is a wonderful tool.

I've never needed to root around in ditches for old pallets.
Fred Flange

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Fred Flange wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:

I live in the sticks, 10 mins from Lake Windemere to be precise and many of the locals who want trees chopped and shifted will give me a shout. After the 2015 floods hereabouts there were lots of dead and uprooted trees lying around so I just helped myself. A chainsaw is a wonderful tool.

I have a chainsaw and I'm rural, but the lack of my own woodland means I have to buy my logs.
ttwiggy

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 pm

thekungfury wrote:I can't think of an occasion when I've had old bits of old floorboard etc. Surplus floorboard has never happened to me.

Laugh. I guess after a house renovation it is likely you might have some...or when a neighbour has a house renovation...or when...I don't know. Just planks of wood, from anywhere. There must be somewhere you can get old floorboards from.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:Anything over 5kw needs a permanent air vent to the outside and a CO2 alarm if memory serves.

Memory doesn't. It depends on the design and the area being heated. One of ours is 9kw needs no vent at all down to the size of the room its in, the second is 14kw and yes it has an airvent, but its built into the fire not the room so the only airflow is direct between outside and combustion chamber, not the old fashioned fuckmeit'sdraftywhyisthereaholeinthebloodywall vent.

You do need a CO2 alarm for all new installations or replacements though.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Dirk wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:Anything over 5kw needs a permanent air vent to the outside and a CO2 alarm if memory serves.

Memory doesn't. It depends on the design and the area being heated. One of ours is 9kw needs no vent at all down to the size of the room its in, the second is 14kw and yes it has an airvent, but its built into the fire not the room so the only airflow is direct between outside and combustion chamber, not the old fashioned fuckmeit'sdraftywhyisthereaholeinthebloodywall vent.

You do need a CO2 alarm for all new installations or replacements though.

Nobody needs a CO2 alarm for any installation..

CO alarm possibly. And given that you can pick one up for less than a fiver if you trust ebay, or about a tenner if you don't it's not exactly a major concern. It's probably sensible to have one if you burn any sort of fuel other than ethanol inside the house.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Fred Flange wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:

I have a chainsaw and I'm rural, but the lack of my own woodland means I have to buy my logs.

Wimp
thekungfury

Post by Ghost @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am

In the process of replacing several 00 metres of post and rail fencing. Its got to be at least 30 years old, so nicely seasoned. Cut into log lengths it burns fairly quickly but chucks out ferocious amounts of heat.
Ghost

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:30 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
There is already a log store outside but what do you do with the wood? i.e. do you keep some inside to dry out fully and refresh the supply as it's used?

I keep it all outside and bring in a basket at a time to use. It doesn't matter if it gets rained on outside so long as it's not sitting in water and actually soaking loads up.

Don't chop up for kindling the first few pallets you find. Use them instead to stack your wood supply on. They keep it off the ground and let air circulate from underneath too.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 am

tanglerat wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
There is already a log store outside but what do you do with the wood? i.e. do you keep some inside to dry out fully and refresh the supply as it's used?

I keep it all outside and bring in a basket at a time to use. It doesn't matter if it gets rained on outside so long as it's not sitting in water and actually soaking loads up.

Don't chop up for kindling the first few pallets you find. Use them instead to stack your wood supply on. They keep it off the ground and let air circulate from underneath too.

Thusly.

Other designs available...
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:36 am

Who the hell keeps finding pallets?

Bearing in mind last year I sold over 20,000 pallets, I have never, ever found a pallet.
thekungfury

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:37 am

Käsemeister wrote:Other designs available...

Let's certainly hope so.
spast1kunt

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am

thekungfury wrote:last year I sold over 20,000 pallets

All these years I have been thinking of you as some kind of earnest technical sales engineer, driving from place to place in an nicely above-average spec diesel car, having serious and sensible conversations about how whatever technical engineering thing it is you sell can make significant improvements to your prospect's lean six sigma black belt ITIL PRINCE2 processes, and you're actually flogging pallets for a living, probably whilst wearing a vest and a pork-pie hat and lots of sovs. And you only take cash, yeah?
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:54 am

CJ+ wrote:
thekungfury wrote:last year I sold over 20,000 pallets

All these years I have been thinking of you as some kind of earnest technical sales engineer, driving from place to place in an nicely above-average spec diesel car, having serious and sensible conversations about how whatever technical engineering thing it is you sell can make significant improvements to your prospect's lean six sigma black belt ITIL PRINCE2 processes, and you're actually flogging pallets for a living, probably whilst wearing a vest and a pork-pie hat and lots of sovs. And you only take cash, yeah?

We sell a technical product which does all the 6Σ stuff you listed. It just happens to be delivered on a free wooden pallet.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

I get stuff delivered here on pallets. The farm next door gets stuff on pallets. Pallets=found.
Käsemeister

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 am

thekungfury wrote:Who the hell keeps finding pallets?

Bearing in mind last year I sold over 20,000 pallets, I have never, ever found a pallet.

I think found in this case means stolen from a stack outside a business premises. At my last job we used to leave the shit pallets outside and they would regularly dissappear over night.
Aesgarth

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am

Nonsense Teeks. I saw you driving a flatbed Transit piled high with an dangerously unstable stack of pallets just yesterday.
spast1kunt

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm

We got a load of gravel delivered on a huge pallet a couple of years ago. We left it outside the house for a week and no fcuker picked it up.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:05 pm

spast1kunt wrote:Nonsense Teeks. I saw you driving a flatbed Transit piled high with an dangerously unstable stack of pallets just yesterday.

I think he tried to deliver some to me in December. A load of stolen CHEP blue ones.
Aesgarth

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Käsemeister wrote:I get stuff delivered here on pallets. The farm next door gets stuff on pallets. Pallets=found.

Bit greedy. You live in the woodland and you get free wooden pallets. Sort a brutha out, yeah?
thekungfury

PreviousNext

Return to Houses and Blouses