Log burners - talk to me

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

There was quite an interesting episode on Reddit in which some guy thought he had people breaking into his house leaving Post-it notes lying around. It turned out he was suffering from CO poisoning. In his case it was from an underground garage in his apartment block.

first post - https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/com ... apartment/

second post - https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/co ... apartment/
User avatar
spast1kunt
 
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by minimoog @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

As part of my first job I had to visit a guy who was complaining about chronic drowsiness/falling asleep in front of the telly all the time and generally feeling a bit Tom while in the house. I put a CO logger in his front room and sure enough his coal burner was doing its best to kill him.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 8966
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Aesgarth wrote:It dosen't need to be a decent one, my home made outdoor stoves with badly sealed doors and permanently open vents will run overnight without going out with little effort.


Build thread?
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 6925
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

That or it's been installed by a HETAS fitter... You don't need both.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.


I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Are you burning pallets you find? Like a womble might.


Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:It dosen't need to be a decent one, my home made outdoor stoves with badly sealed doors and permanently open vents will run overnight without going out with little effort.


Build thread?

Not much to them, I'll dig out a few photos tomorrow.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: ÓêðàèíàzzzzzÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓ
Highscores: 4

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

That or it's been installed by a HETAS fitter... You don't need both.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.


I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Are you burning pallets you find? Like a womble might.


Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.


Willow is horrendous to burn. Too wet and you end up with a chimney coated in creosote, too dry and it's like burning paper. The window where it'll actually burn properly is tiny. Most arborists will burn it on site rather than log and remove.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 36337
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm

minimoog wrote:As part of my first job I had to visit a guy who was complaining about chronic drowsiness/falling asleep in front of the telly all the time and generally feeling a bit Tom while in the house. I put a CO logger in his front room and sure enough his coal burner was doing its best to kill him.


Did he have cherry red lips out of interest?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

That or it's been installed by a HETAS fitter... You don't need both.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.


I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Are you burning pallets you find? Like a womble might.


Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.


Willow is horrendous to burn. Too wet and you end up with a chimney coated in creosote, too dry and it's like burning paper. The window where it'll actually burn properly is tiny. Most arborists will burn it on site rather than log and remove.


It's not quite that bad. It does burn quickly and not give off a huge amount of heat when it's properly dry but when it's free, it's totally ok. I think the tree surgeons just bin it off as they can't sell it. I've burning loads of it from a massive willow we had trimmed last year. I'm not sure it's a hardwood though is it?
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm

It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?

The tree surgeon I've used in the past sells his Willow as logs, I've also seen it suggested on forums as a good wood to grow for your own log supply as it's fast growing and burns well. It lasts about three or four times longer than Pine in my experience, so it's not bad on a fire.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Had mine tested today. Smoke bomb showed the system is all good and sealed. Booked a sweep too and hopefully soon I'll be all set.

They also did a check with the extractor fan on in the kitchen. It's a big one above the range and with all windows closed and the fan on full it's enough to suck the air down the chimney and kill the fire. And fill the house with thick acrid smoke.

They did a quick demo showing me how to light and adjust it. Even just with kindling burning it gave me the massive horn.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

My tree surgeon said he wouldn't dream of selling it and I definitely wouldn't buy it. As far as comparing it with pine, I think burning pine on a burner is totally pointless. Too fast and too sappy.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Nice one Kung.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Hooli @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:58 pm

I mentioned pine as I've burned quite a lot of offcuts since being here. They make great kindling.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
Hooli wrote:Make sure it's been approved & registered with building control, that is legally required before you light it.

That or it's been installed by a HETAS fitter... You don't need both.

If you're getting one fitted HETAS is easier, building control is cheaper. Generally speaking.


I thought part of the HETAS thing was registering with building control? It's a few years since I spoke about it with so I forget.

As to stoves lasting all night on wood, neither of mine do. I get about 5 hours before they run out of fuel & go out.

Are you burning pallets you find? Like a womble might.


Laugh, at times yes. But I wouldn't expect softwood to last overnight, it's good to get it going with coal on top though. The normal hardwood I burn is Willow as there is still loads of it here from a 90ft tree coming down in the garden, maybe a denser wood like Oak would last all night but I've not tried.


Willow is horrendous to burn. Too wet and you end up with a chimney coated in creosote, too dry and it's like burning paper. The window where it'll actually burn properly is tiny. Most arborists will burn it on site rather than log and remove.


It's not quite that bad. It does burn quickly and not give off a huge amount of heat when it's properly dry but when it's free, it's totally ok. I think the tree surgeons just bin it off as they can't sell it. I've burning loads of it from a massive willow we had trimmed last year. I'm not sure it's a hardwood though is it?


Totally, I burn it here all the time as we have so many of them and they regularly fall over or shit branches. Hooli-ist was saying he couldn't keep it burning overnight and that's why - because it's shit.

I'll burn anything however, don't care. As you rightly say, if it's free, it burns. Expecting the same performance as a proper hardwood though, no.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 36337
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Strawman @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:51 am

Hooli wrote:It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?


Deciduous means, sheds all it's leaves in winter and/or a dry season annually, rather than evergreen where individual leaves die off throughout the year but the overall leaf count is fairly constant, hence the tree is always green. Hardwoods are defined as having vessels inside the wood structure while softwoods do not, but confusingly some hardwoods are soft, like Balsa, and some softwoods relatively hard like Yew.

Jenka hardness test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38112
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Hooli @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Strawman wrote:
Hooli wrote:It's deciduous, does that not make it a hardwood?


Deciduous means, sheds all it's leaves in winter and/or a dry season annually, rather than evergreen where individual leaves die off throughout the year but the overall leaf count is fairly constant, hence the tree is always green. Hardwoods are defined as having vessels inside the wood structure while softwoods do not, but confusingly some hardwoods are soft, like Balsa, and some softwoods relatively hard like Yew.

Jenka hardness test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test


Interesting, I thought it was as simple as hardwoods are deciduous. I didn't realise it was a such physical difference in the structure of the wood.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Lit my first fire at the weekend. Got it swept in the morning and decided I could wait no longer, despite it being mild.

I really fcuked up the first one. Cut off the (full) air way too early which killed the flame. Then had to open the door a little to get more in but opened in too much and filled the room with shit loads of smoke. It still stinks days later. Got it going again but went in with a big log way too early and smothered it again.

Second stab last night was much better. Made sure it was up to a nice burn and put on smaller logs (cut with my new grenade and splitter - so nice to use) which got a right good flame going. I got one of those magnetic flue thermometers which told me I was doing a bang up job.

I reckon it's going to take a while to perfect. Any tips you wish you'd been told years ago?
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Get a good draw going with plenty of dry kindling and have the split logs around it to focus the heat back in on itself.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15884
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Get a good draw going with plenty of dry kindling and have the split logs around it to focus the heat back in on itself.

I don't know what those words mean
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:04 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Get a good draw going with plenty of dry kindling and have the split logs around it to focus the heat back in on itself.

I don't know what those words mean


Draw = hot air rising from the fire drawing in fresh air over the burning wood which in turn makes more hot air go up and drawing more fresh air in and so on and so on.

Make paper flutes out of any scrap paper, a good 10-15. Stack kindling over that in a lattice fashion. Arrange logs either side around it with the flat faces pointing in towards the kindling. This reflects the heat back into the stack, really important when getting the fire going.

Light paper, wait 2-3 minutes and then place a split log on top.

With a bit of practice you'll be able to build one stack with the log on top from the start, light it with one match and walk away knowing the whole lot will keep going for a good while.

ETA Make sure when you're lighting the fire that all the vents are open to aid draw.
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15884
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

thekungfury wrote:I reckon it's going to take a while to perfect. Any tips you wish you'd been told years ago?



Always have one of these handy.
For those times you just can't be arsed to faff with kindling and sticks and firelighters and draw and need heat quickly.

Image

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/quickflame-firelog-309325
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11742
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Get a good draw going with plenty of dry kindling and have the split logs around it to focus the heat back in on itself.

I don't know what those words mean


Draw = hot air rising from the fire drawing in fresh air over the burning wood which in turn makes more hot air go up and drawing more fresh air in and so on and so on.

Make paper flutes out of any scrap paper, a good 10-15. Stack kindling over that in a lattice fashion. Arrange logs either side around it with the flat faces pointing in towards the kindling. This reflects the heat back into the stack, really important when getting the fire going.

Light paper, wait 2-3 minutes and then place a split log on top.

With a bit of practice you'll be able to build one stack with the log on top from the start, light it with one match and walk away knowing the whole lot will keep going for a good while.

ETA Make sure when you're lighting the fire that all the vents are open to aid draw.

OK that makes more sense. Will try it.

Can’t see I’d be using ID's Poundland log tbh.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 pm

thekungfury wrote:Can’t see I’d be using ID's Poundland log tbh.


Well fy Mr. Logburner expert.

They are also handy when the bird wants to light a fire before you get home.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11742
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Then get a bird who’s capable of doing a simple job.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 36337
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:46 pm

thekungfury wrote: (cut with my new grenade and splitter - so nice to use)...... Any tips you wish you'd been told years ago?


You're going to want to mechanise that shit:


https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/electric-log-splitters/27/Category.aspx
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 6925
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 pm

tanglerat wrote:
thekungfury wrote: (cut with my new grenade and splitter - so nice to use)...... Any tips you wish you'd been told years ago?


You're going to want to mechanise that shit:


https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/electric-log-splitters/27/Category.aspx

Way overkill for what I need. Plus I hugely enjoyed tw@tting the wood into bits.

I can see that being useful if you have green wood that needs splitting to be seasoned but mine was pinging apart using the lightest of hits just with a hand splitter.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 am

thekungfury wrote:
tanglerat wrote:
thekungfury wrote: (cut with my new grenade and splitter - so nice to use)...... Any tips you wish you'd been told years ago?


You're going to want to mechanise that shit:


https://www.titan-pro.co.uk/electric-log-splitters/27/Category.aspx

Way overkill for what I need. Plus I hugely enjoyed tw@tting the wood into bits.

I can see that being useful if you have green wood that needs splitting to be seasoned but mine was pinging apart using the lightest of hits just with a hand splitter.


Just wait till you get a twisted knotty bastard. It's worth its weight in goldplated gold then.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 6925
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

There were a couple of knotted ones but the grenade and sledge dealt with them quickly enough.

Maybe you’re just doing it wrong? Do you struggle to get above a couple of notches on the fairground strength machine?
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am

Beware the grenades depending on what surface you’re splitting on. If you’re manly enough you will eventually smash it and they shatter in quite unpleasant ways.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 36337
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Log burners - talk to me

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:13 am

Käsemeister wrote:Beware the grenades depending on what surface you’re splitting on. If you’re manly enough you will eventually smash it and they shatter in quite unpleasant ways.

Yeah that did occur. I got a nice weighty log block from the local yard and I’ll be gutted if I smash it up.

The wood I have so far is small/dry enough to split just with one handed taps of the splitter or grenade/short sledge. I don’t have a full length axe/maul/sledge so there won’t be any manly swings just yet.

I saw this yesterday which looks rather neat.
Image
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33505
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Houses and Blouses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron