Mini refurb thread

Crystal chandeliers, etc.

Re: Mini refurb thread

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
tanglerat wrote:Any rentcharges associated with this, or rights of way, easements etc?

Solicitor will find all that out. Unlikely to be rights of way on a top floor flat though?

You could have a right of way over some adjoining property?

Possibly I suppose, but this is a road of large Georgian properties, some converted, some still single occupancy, so can’t see it being likely. If it was, not sure what I’d do with it?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Hate conveyancing solicitors. Haven’t used many but every experience has been dogshit. The absolute worst vfm on earth.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:53 am

Last time (2 times?) we used a conveyancer rather than a solicitor. He was brilliant and picked up several things on our current house that we got sorted. Actually good VFM
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:11 am

Dirk wrote:Last time (2 times?) we used a conveyancer rather than a solicitor. He was brilliant and picked up several things on our current house that we got sorted. Actually good VFM

No real difference between the two, for most transactions. I’ve had good and bad of both over the years.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Dirk @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Dirk wrote:Last time (2 times?) we used a conveyancer rather than a solicitor. He was brilliant and picked up several things on our current house that we got sorted. Actually good VFM

No real difference between the two, for most transactions. I’ve had good and bad of both over the years.

Sorry, that was misleading. I didn't mean there was a difference.

We just were lucky and found a good one
Dirk

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am

Luck does seem to play a part, not only in having a decent conveyancer but also that the vendor has one.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am

One thing I remembered from my flat ownership was "sinking fund".

My solicitor (a close friend) wasn't very happy that there wasn't one and warned me that it could prove expensive if something broke/wore out. Despite the fact that it was a 1930's mansion block I poo pooed the fact.

It came back to bite me a few years later... and every year after... as each owner was dumped with a large annual bill (thousands) for a leaking roof, exterior wooden window painting (conservation area so no UPVC allowed) and lift repairs.

I hope I don't sound all doom and gloom but watch your arse.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Dirk @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Luck does seem to play a part, not only in having a decent conveyancer but also that the vendor has one.

Yeah, when we sold one place we had an long sequence of "here are some more questions" that could have been included in the first list. After the sale, the new owner actually complained that she wanted some money back because of the noise from the nearby pub. Our conveyancer did a Soovy to her, but in fact we knew that she was a regular at the pub even before she bought that house (she had been renting in the village)

And when we bought our current place he found that the previous change of land had fcuked up so we would own a small triangle of land (about 5mx2m) on the boundary between the next 2 properties. I still find it amazing that even in this day and age legal land boundaries are specified by a thick line on a fairly small scale map so have a tolerance of a few metres
Dirk

Previous

Return to Houses and Blouses