Some Brexit

Do you have difficulty sustaining your election?

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:27 pm

whyohwhy wrote:If by some slim chance there was a second ref on Brexit and remain got the vote what happens to our position in the EU

Is it an as you were scenario or do we lose the rebate and other such benefits


In as you were, to change the terms would require legislation to be passed by the EU parliament first or council of ministers, or some such stuff.
If we leave via May's deal then apply to get back in at some future date, then it would be up for negotiation what our new relationship would be, probably Euro as currency plus Schengen zone and an annual budget which reflected GDP without the rebate the UK gets now.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40536
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by whyohwhy @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Strawman wrote:
whyohwhy wrote:If by some slim chance there was a second ref on Brexit and remain got the vote what happens to our position in the EU

Is it an as you were scenario or do we lose the rebate and other such benefits


In as you were, to change the terms would require legislation to be passed by the EU parliament first or council of ministers, or some such stuff.
If we leave via May's deal then apply to get back in at some future date, then it would be up for negotiation what our new relationship would be, probably Euro as currency plus Schengen zone and an annual budget which reflected GDP without the rebate the UK gets now.


Better than I thought then

Sure I heard a Dutch politician saying that even if we stayed it would be on new terms which wouldn’t include the rebate

Not sure she will get her deal through Parliament because it’s shit, maybe there will be another vote
User avatar
whyohwhy
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: CN Hyggebo CNTE HyygeboTE

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm

whyohwhy wrote:Sure I heard a Dutch politician saying that even if we stayed it would be on new terms which wouldn’t include the rebate


He wouldn't have thee authority to state that for certain, neither do I obviously, but the easiest way to proceed if article 50 notification was revoked would be to leave things as they were, which is what most EU countries want to happen.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40536
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by whyohwhy @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Strawman wrote:
whyohwhy wrote:Sure I heard a Dutch politician saying that even if we stayed it would be on new terms which wouldn’t include the rebate


He wouldn't have thee authority to state that for certain, neither do I obviously, but the easiest way to proceed if article 50 notification was revoked would be to leave things as they were, which is what most EU countries want to happen.


What about Junker,Barnier and Tusk?
User avatar
whyohwhy
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: CN Hyggebo CNTE HyygeboTE

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Tusk this Thursday
European Council president Donald Tusk has said that the UK would be welcome to remain in the EU if a deal could not be reached.


http://www.cityam.com/269204/donald-tus ... rexit-deal

Junker has no power, he is 'president' but it is the EU governments that call the shots, , also due to be replaced soon,

Barnier is the chief negotiator for the EU for Brexit but is acting under instructions from the parliament and the commission, the UK's existing arrangements are beyond his remit.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40536
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Strawman @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 am

Batshit.jpg
Batshit.jpg (148.23 KiB) Viewed 278 times


Why are two Tory Mp's Owen Patterson and David Davies flying to America to conduct trade negotiations with a US state (US trade is agreements are done on a federal basis) when neither are in the cabinet?
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40536
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some Brexit

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:11 am

And why are they specifically picking Oklahoma?

Image

For reference, Oklahoma’s GDP is the same as Hungary.
Last edited by thekungfury on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36893
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Dirk @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 am

Whatever you think of her politics, May is useless at camouflage

Image
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 31689
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Strawman wrote:
Batshit.jpg


Why are two Tory Mp's Owen Patterson and David Davies flying to America to conduct trade negotiations with a US state (US trade is agreements are done on a federal basis) when neither are in the cabinet?


One of the many Twitter responses:

I've had a busy day today - I've been negotiating China's trading relationship with Wolverhampton. The former hasn't given me any authority, and the latter isn't able to operate on its own account - but my ignorance is only outstripped by my arrogance, and I know I did well.

Those two belong in Dumb and Dumber.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by S1K @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been slammed by arch-leaver MP Nadine Dorries – because it means the UK will be left without any Members of the European Parliament.

The Tory backbencher, who campaigned tirelessly to get the country out of Europe, said Ms May's deal would leave the UK without any influence in Europe.

“This is a very sad place to be,” she told Sky News. “But unfortunately, the future of the country and of our relationship with Europe is at stake. This deal gives us no voice, no votes, no MEPs, no commissioner.”


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 39216.html

For fcuk's sake. She wants to Brexit then is surprised that the UK won't have any MEP's or any say in the EU.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7442
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Dirk wrote:Whatever you think of her politics, May is useless at camouflage

Image


Look her face though. She thinks she’s superb.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 50255
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 pm

S1K wrote:
Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been slammed by arch-leaver MP Nadine Dorries – because it means the UK will be left without any Members of the European Parliament.

The Tory backbencher, who campaigned tirelessly to get the country out of Europe, said Ms May's deal would leave the UK without any influence in Europe.

“This is a very sad place to be,” she told Sky News. “But unfortunately, the future of the country and of our relationship with Europe is at stake. This deal gives us no voice, no votes, no MEPs, no commissioner.”


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 39216.html

For fcuk's sake. She wants to Brexit then is surprised that the UK won't have any MEP's or any say in the EU.

As idiocy goes that's right up there.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36893
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by tanglerat @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:48 pm

thekungfury wrote:
S1K wrote:
Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been slammed by arch-leaver MP Nadine Dorries – because it means the UK will be left without any Members of the European Parliament.

The Tory backbencher, who campaigned tirelessly to get the country out of Europe, said Ms May's deal would leave the UK without any influence in Europe.

“This is a very sad place to be,” she told Sky News. “But unfortunately, the future of the country and of our relationship with Europe is at stake. This deal gives us no voice, no votes, no MEPs, no commissioner.”


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 39216.html

For fcuk's sake. She wants to Brexit then is surprised that the UK won't have any MEP's or any say in the EU.

As idiocy goes that's right up there.


That's right up there with the Welsh UKIPper who wanted EU funds for his roads after Brexit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38153180
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Frik @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Strawman wrote:
Batshit.jpg


Why are two Tory Mp's Owen Patterson and David Davies flying to America to conduct trade negotiations with a US state (US trade is agreements are done on a federal basis) when neither are in the cabinet?

Because the IEA paid for them to do it, a "think tank" that refuses to disclose how it is funded.
User avatar
Frik
 
Posts: 4954
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Don4l @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm

The film opens and we find David Davis striding through a endless field of wheat....

He sings;

Oh, what a beautiful Mornin'
Oh what a beautiful day
I got a wonderful feelin'
Kickbacks are coming' my way...
Don4l
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Some Brexit

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 am

thekungfury wrote:
S1K wrote:
Theresa May’s Brexit deal has been slammed by arch-leaver MP Nadine Dorries – because it means the UK will be left without any Members of the European Parliament.

The Tory backbencher, who campaigned tirelessly to get the country out of Europe, said Ms May's deal would leave the UK without any influence in Europe.

“This is a very sad place to be,” she told Sky News. “But unfortunately, the future of the country and of our relationship with Europe is at stake. This deal gives us no voice, no votes, no MEPs, no commissioner.”


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 39216.html

For fcuk's sake. She wants to Brexit then is surprised that the UK won't have any MEP's or any say in the EU.

As idiocy goes that's right up there.

TBF she was talking about the transition period, so perhaps she isn't a fcuking idiot after all. Oh, wait, no.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/747380462641942528

The Norway model. Always my preference with benefits paid only to UK citizens enabling free movement for work.


That'd be the Norway that has no voice, no votes, no MEPS, no commissioner, yes?

Yes.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 17058
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Zod @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Strawman wrote:
Batshit.jpg


Why are two Tory Mp's Owen Patterson and David Davies flying to America to conduct trade negotiations with a US state (US trade is agreements are done on a federal basis) when neither are in the cabinet?

The only reason I can think of is that they are useless sacks of shit.
User avatar
Zod
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Some Brexit

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Free holiday (to Oklahoma in November :D), paid for by a thinktank.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 17058
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:26 pm

According to the Beeb, BoJO has today laid out his six point plan in his column in the Telegraph.

Recognising not all the agreement is disastrous
Scrapping the Northern Ireland backstop
Accelerate preparations for exiting on World Trade Organization rules
Agree that the EU and UK will embark on a "giant free trade deal"
Withold half of the £39bn until the deal is agreed
Insist government gets behind Brexit

Brilliant. All the problems solved at a stroke. I'm just amazed no one else has come up with something so cunning yet obvious. I mean, agreeing to embark up a "giant free trade deal" - it's like being in the room with a giant pure pulsating brain, like in Star Trek in the olden days.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3919
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Some Brexit

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I think when it comes to Boris Johnson, giant and pulsating are good adjectives, but you'd need to follow it up with a noun other than 'brain'. 'Penis', forex. Or perhaps 'anus'.

I like "Pustule". Any others?
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 pm

I can’t find his tweet but yesterday George Galloway said “There is no such thing as Northern Ireland. It’s just 4 counties outside Britain. Let’s have a clean Brexit for Britain”

I was joking about Yorkshire last week. This lunatic is for real.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36893
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15812
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some Brexit

Post by whyohwhy @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/


It seems very simplistic, and possibly therefore flawed

If not can he be our PM cos the one we have is shit
User avatar
whyohwhy
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: CN Hyggebo CNTE HyygeboTE

Re: Some Brexit

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 pm

whyohwhy wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/


It seems very simplistic, and possibly therefore flawed

If not can he be our PM cos the one we have is shit


He's full of shit.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Speaking of full of shit...

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1064088901445459970

That's full-on "alternative facts", right there.

Corbyn or May (or one of a cavalcade of arseheads, all of whom are incredibly worse than her). That's our choice.

What a time to be alive.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 17058
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 pm

tanglerat wrote:
whyohwhy wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/


It seems very simplistic, and possibly therefore flawed

If not can he be our PM cos the one we have is shit


He's full of shit.


That could have been authored by any of the rabid Brexiteers that inhabit PH within the first month of so after the referendum result. Ie gung ho, unrealistic but with no events to demonstrate how unrealistic it is.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3656
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some Brexit

Post by whyohwhy @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Greg66 wrote:
tanglerat wrote:
whyohwhy wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/


It seems very simplistic, and possibly therefore flawed

If not can he be our PM cos the one we have is shit


He's full of shit.


That could have been authored by any of the rabid Brexiteers that inhabit PH within the first month of so after the referendum result. Ie gung ho, unrealistic but with no events to demonstrate how unrealistic it is.


Coming to the conclusion that all our politicians are full of shit because there isn’t one I could vote for

Be great if Brexit was that simple, however would also be great if I won the lottery and the odds are I’ve more chance of that than brexit being simple
User avatar
whyohwhy
 
Posts: 1466
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: CN Hyggebo CNTE HyygeboTE

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 pm

whyohwhy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
tanglerat wrote:
whyohwhy wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Ex Oz PM Tony Abbott has had his say, and makes it all sound very logical and simple. Is he right, or can his suggestions all be torn apart?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... rexit/amp/


It seems very simplistic, and possibly therefore flawed

If not can he be our PM cos the one we have is shit


He's full of shit.


That could have been authored by any of the rabid Brexiteers that inhabit PH within the first month of so after the referendum result. Ie gung ho, unrealistic but with no events to demonstrate how unrealistic it is.


Coming to the conclusion that all our politicians are full of shit because there isn’t one I could vote for

Be great if Brexit was that simple, however would also be great if I won the lottery and the odds are I’ve more chance of that than brexit being simple

I hear you, but why is it not that simple? What are the facts behind it?

Forex, my understanding is that we can't just fall back on WTO arrangements, but I don't know why...
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15812
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some Brexit

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:38 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:[Forex, my understanding is that we can't just fall back on WTO arrangements, but I don't know why...


My understanding is that we could but we don't want to as all our commerce and industry is enshrined in the current tariff situation so suddenly we would be too expensive in our main markets and would have a catastrophic drop in gdp as a result. or something.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 32127
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Political Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron