Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by dirtyboy @ Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

TVR out tomorrow....I'm vaguely interested believe it or not...

the old man has a few MG's up for sale with one eye on it, and i'm considering binning a share purchase to 'invest' wisely in the rebirth of a shed built supercar...with the wife simply stating she'd leave me and also leave the kids....so obvs i'm not considering anymore, just wildly wondering

That 5.0 Ford V8 does sound very nice indeed....

Of course it'll be shit and disappointing
dirtyboy

Post by Freddie @ Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:09 pm

dirtyboy wrote:TVR out tomorrow....I'm vaguely interested believe it or not...

the old man has a few MG's up for sale with one eye on it, and i'm considering binning a share purchase to 'invest' wisely in the rebirth of a shed built supercar...with the wife simply stating she'd leave me and also leave the kids....so obvs i'm not considering anymore, just wildly wondering

Time to feed my rebellious streak and buy a pre-cat V8 when I chop in the Jag.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Hooli @ Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Me. wrote: How long does a motorbike engine last? That should be an indication of how long a shitty little motor the size of a shoebox will last.

I've seen evidence of plenty of courier bikes over 300k with just regular servicing.

My GSX14 is on 112k, runs as good as new, uses no oil etc. I've had to rebuild the front end to make it ride properly again but apart from fuel filters & TPS the engine has been trouble free, not even needed a valve adjustment in all that time.

Mind you, it's not lugging 2ton about all the time.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:23 am

This is the Mercedes-Benz AMG Project One, revealed at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It's full of formula one hybrid stuff.

https://media.mbusa.com/releases/world-premiere-of-the-mercedes-amg-project-one-show-car#
spast1kunt

Post by Me. @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:33 pm

My business partner bought a new VW Tiguan 2.0FSI......I sort of like it. Had it here for a few weeks while we swapped cars (he had my new/old 330ci) and it goes pretty well. Nice inside, comfy.....but still looks like almost every other Hyundai/Kia/Mazda/Ford/Audi out there. However......I still maintain the 2011 Lincoln MKx I bought a few months back (which is earning its keep in movie shoots) is a better drive, as good quality and better appointed despite being five years older. Oh....and a bit quicker too and looks like no other SUV around in the UK.
Last edited by Me. on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me.

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:50 pm

dirtyboy wrote:TVR out tomorrow....I'm vaguely interested believe it or not...

I quite like it and with Gordon Murray involved it should be a good bit of kit.
Deuteronomy

Post by Freddie @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 am

Base price runs at £90000 though.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am

Freddie wrote:Base price runs at £90000 though.

Exactly. I'd spend that on a used R8 and have fewer problems.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:16 pm

It looks very much like a Ginetta G55.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Freddie @ Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:34 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Freddie wrote:Base price runs at £90000 though.

Exactly. I'd spend that on a used R8 and have fewer problems.

Or this, if you are brave enough.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... New&page=2
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Me. @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 am

Keith Adams, a mate of mine of ex Classic Car Weekly, Modern Classic magazine and now doing the rounds as editor of Parkers is currently at a show somewhere and posted up the new OWL, I need to find out more about it but so far 0-60 in 2 sec's sounds good.

owl3.jpg
owl3.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 215 times

owl2.jpg
owl2.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Me.

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 am

Do you love this?

Honda.jpg
I do
Honda.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 204 times

Also Honda.jpg
Also Honda.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Rod Rammage

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 am

There are certainly some echoes of this in there -

Will it come with a Hondamatic badge on the back?
spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm

It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. £500-600M sounds like a massive amount of money, and of course it is, but is it enough to develop a brand new vehicle from scratch? I'm not sure. £1Bn at least is the sort of figure I'd be thinking towards.
spast1kunt

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:10 pm

spast1kunt wrote:It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. £500-600M sounds like a massive amount of money, and of course it is, but is it enough to develop a brand new vehicle from scratch? I'm not sure. £1Bn at least is the sort of figure I'd be thinking towards.

Any basis for that? I wouldn't have a clue how much was required to make a car.

I'm interested in this car already.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm

That's about the figure that big car companies normally spend when they develop a new model, and big car companies are able to call on loads of previous experience and can spread the cost of technologies across multiple models. It sounds like a ludicrous amount of money I know.
spast1kunt

Post by Me. @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 am

Rod Rammage wrote:Do you love this?

Honda.jpg

Also Honda.jpg

Yes please! I like that, a lot.
Me.

Post by Me. @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:20 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with. £500-600M sounds like a massive amount of money, and of course it is, but is it enough to develop a brand new vehicle from scratch? I'm not sure. £1Bn at least is the sort of figure I'd be thinking towards.

Any basis for that? I wouldn't have a clue how much was required to make a car.

I'm interested in this car already.

We would spend regularly £20K just to relocate a mounting point on a part, like a bolt tab on an ECU for example. The first R56 we built at Munich was worth 22 mill as a parts car with big ticket items coming in at hundreds of grand. So you weren't very popular if you broke something. That was easy to do as the plastics were brittle being pre-production and not fitting properly in the first place. If a part was needed to continue a build project and was outsourced it meant the supplier could ask what they wanted for it really. Granted they had to sometimes drop what they were doing to make it or it would involve them paying out huge sums in overtime etc.....but enough for BMW to have early 3D printing in house asap.
Me.

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Me. wrote:We would spend regularly £20K just to relocate a mounting point on a part, like a bolt tab on an ECU for example. The first R56 we built at Munich was worth 22 mill as a parts car with big ticket items coming in at hundreds of grand. So you weren't very popular if you broke something. That was easy to do as the plastics were brittle being pre-production and not fitting properly in the first place. If a part was needed to continue a build project and was outsourced it meant the supplier could ask what they wanted for it really. Granted they had to sometimes drop what they were doing to make it or it would involve them paying out huge sums in overtime etc.....but enough for BMW to have early 3D printing in house asap.

Those were my plastics on the first R56.

Don't blame the plastics though, it was the moulders that were shite. Not sure what involvement you had at sourcing level but most of the big Tier 1s supplying into Cowley have since gone bust. Collins & Aikman, Stadium, Ecomold, Birkbys.
thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Me. wrote:Keith Adams, a mate of mine of ex Classic Car Weekly, Modern Classic magazine and now doing the rounds as editor of Parkers is currently at a show somewhere and posted up the new OWL, I need to find out more about it but so far 0-60 in 2 sec's sounds good.

0-60 in under 2 secs apparently. The fastest Tesla does just over 2s.

For reference, if you jumped off a building, you'd hit 100km/h in 2.8s. So faster acceleration than freefall.
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Cheaper though
thekungfury

Post by Me. @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Me. wrote:We would spend regularly £20K just to relocate a mounting point on a part, like a bolt tab on an ECU for example. The first R56 we built at Munich was worth 22 mill as a parts car with big ticket items coming in at hundreds of grand. So you weren't very popular if you broke something. That was easy to do as the plastics were brittle being pre-production and not fitting properly in the first place. If a part was needed to continue a build project and was outsourced it meant the supplier could ask what they wanted for it really. Granted they had to sometimes drop what they were doing to make it or it would involve them paying out huge sums in overtime etc.....but enough for BMW to have early 3D printing in house asap.

Those were my plastics on the first R56.

Don't blame the plastics though, it was the moulders that were shite. Not sure what involvement you had at sourcing level but most of the big Tier 1s supplying into Cowley have since gone bust. Collins & Aikman, Stadium, Ecomold, Birkbys.

Perhaps as a result of BMW's constant switching between suppliers and playing them off against each other for price. At one stage we switched from Infast to someone else and the fixings were rusting in the track-side containers as soon as they came in. BMW still stuck with them until Infast dropped their prices. I wasn't involved in sourcing but rather on production rework. So essentially just made sure that the car could be built and hastily repaired (if required) without issues and introducing the new cars into the current assembly line. I also did a scrap-rebuild project where instead of scrapping cars with a X threaded seatbelt cage nut I would re-issue the chassis number and rebuild the car using the parts from the previously completely built car.
Me.

Post by Me. @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm

This morning as I drove out the house past the main barn, in the lovely green Volvo V90 estate.......the farmer decided to try to drive over it in his teleporter. Fcuktard wrote the car off....damage exceeds value. He gets out of the teleporter and looks casually at the car and says...' Oh....well, we'll get that sorted on the insurance, no worries.' No fcuking apology, no 'damn, I just ruined your lovely car' fcuk all....I was seething. So I explained to him that if we went through insurance it would cat D the car which would make it unsaleable or at least result in a massive drop in value. I know it's 'just an old Volvo' but it's a mint V90 Luxury Edition with 80 000 miles and most old Volvo estates start to fetch decent money. I paid £3000 for it at auction last year or the one before. Luckily I managed to reverse about four feet or he would have hit the cabin and proper wrote it off, Damage is to bonnet, wing, indicator, light, bumper.....but the main damage is to the R/F Longitudinal/chassis leg area. Bastard. I'm changing his status from friend to foe due to his Fcuk You attitude.

v90d1.jpg
v90d1.jpg (216.27 KiB) Viewed 76 times

v902.jpg
v902.jpg (96.72 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Me.

Post by spast1kunt @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:47 pm

That's a shame.

Pretty much what happened to me a few months ago when the woman across the road drove straight into the side of my car for no apparent reason.
spast1kunt

Post by deev @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:21 pm

I have bought a new car. The Hyundai threw a belt and trashed the alternator pulley, the water pump and it's pulley, wore through the cam belt cover and trashed the cam belt and knackered the power steering pump pulley I've had it fixed on the cheap but the doofus I got to do it put it all back together but it won't catch and there's water coming out of the radiator when he did turn it over, so chances are he's not set the timing properly and potentially bent some valves and possibly there's a blown head gasket in there.

In any case it's going to get free wheeled into the garage (somehow) and I'm going to have a bash at sorting it myself over the winter.

Oh yeah the new car. I hate it already but having opted out of the company car thing I needed something reliable to get me to work where it'll sit in a supermarket car park all day so no point getting anything fancy. Kia Rio 1.4, 63 plate with 3 years warranty left, 5 doors, seemingly every option going and 15k miles. How much?
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Not a large amount because Kia Rio.
Strawman

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Me. wrote:Damage is to bonnet, wing, indicator, light, bumper.....

Easy, easy, easy, easy, easy.....

Me. wrote:but the main damage is to the R/F Longitudinal/chassis leg area.

FCUKLOGS.

I hate it when that happens.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by deev @ Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Strawman wrote:Not a large amount because Kia Rio.

That does not count as a guess!
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Barbarianna @ Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 am

thekungfury wrote:
Not sure what involvement you had at sourcing level but most of the big Tier 1s supplying into Cowley have since gone bust. Collins & Aikman, Stadium, Ecomold, Birkbys.

Well well.
>inhales cigarette, stares out of window<

I never bought the bullshit from Collins & Aikman, or cnut and Arse as we procurement boys called 'em. I was the principal signoff on all Flat leaved fronds at HPP. Hatfield Plastic Palms was the biggest retail indoor supplier in the west north west back then. All the top jobs. The centrepiece Phoenix Palm at H&M wigan, that level of awesome. Once, Jeff from Ecomold aftersales ( the one with the Capri that he said he bought in cash,myeah right) showed us the internal docs C&A hid the from the OFPLAST after the Acacia collapse at the Trafford Centre. The Rockwells were way off, and as for the flexmod?
1 Gpa. One!. Acetal copol my arse. More like terephthalate! I always knew that our fronds flexes seemed off on wind testing, but this just took the biscuit. It's a low down trick to switch polys on your customer- nay, BRother- when they knew that Dusseldorf Plant Horizons were gunning for the Westfield Food Court gig. We were so close back then, a community of kin, until that move.
Barbarianna

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat