I bought a car ! Insurance help please.

General car gossip.

I bought a car ! Insurance help please.

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 pm

NSLMB is 17 in July, we've bought her this for her birthday:

OMG.jpg
OMG.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 336 times

She's had a couple of lessons on the Young driver thing and her first lesson is booked for the evening of her birthday.

She won't be driving her car until she's had a few lessons and is competent enough to get a bit of driving time in with me or Mrs B with her, and Mrs B may well use it a bit for work anyway as she might be handing her lease car back soon as she's not doing enough mileage to qualify for it now.

So, from what I gather it's as simple as insuring it in Mrs B's name and when NSLMB is ready to go taking out learner driver insurance, the standard seeming to be £130ish for 90 days, the policy sort of piggy backing off Mrs B's policy supposedly not endangering it in any way (yeah right !). NSLMB's policy can then be renewed for varying amounts of times until she passes, then we'll take out a new policy in her name and cancel Mrs B's.

Does that sound right ? Anyone else going or been through this ? Anybody in insurance on here ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Re: I bought a car ! Insurance help please.

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 14, 2018 4:16 pm

That was my understanding too, but then it gets nasty once she passes
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Turntable wrote:That was my understanding too, but then it gets nasty once she passes

It's not too bad. I did a quote based on her having just passed her test and it was around £1200 for that. It's partly why we went for a newer car, the insurance is a bit better because the safety features are better.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Could be worth looking into a telematics/black box policy for a new driver.
S1K

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 14, 2018 5:00 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Turntable wrote:That was my understanding too, but then it gets nasty once she passes

It's not too bad. I did a quote based on her having just passed her test and it was around £1200 for that. It's partly why we went for a newer car, the insurance is a bit better because the safety features are better.

Interesting. I have a niece and nephew just passed and theirs is nearer to 3k!!!
£1200 is pretty reasonable
Turntable

Post by NNK @ Mon May 14, 2018 6:54 pm

My son is 17 with a restricted licence (6 months experience, written and practical passed, now 18m with no passengers, zero alcohol and 10pm curfew - what a crock) his BMW 320 (thanks dad) is $480 per annum, TPFT, in my name with him listed as main driver.
Cars are dear here but insurance cheap
NNK

Return to Car Chat